Cover Image: Window on the Bay

Window on the Bay

Friends since college, Jenna and Maureen are now middle aged, divorced and for Jenna soon to be an empty nester as her youngest is off to college. Neither woman has done much dating in the ensuing years, but when they do, they use their old college dating rating of red light...never again...yellow light...maybe a second date and green light...yes to another date. This entertaining book follows Jenna and Maureen as they find themselves interested in men they never thought they would have thought to date and how their lives are changed by these men. Debbie Macomber has definitely written a delightful “green light” book. I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley for my honest review.
Book Court - Where I'm the Judge and Jury

CHARGE (What is the author trying to say?): To discover how a single mother handles an empty nest.

FACTS: After her children leave home, single mother Jeanna Boltz is faced with the rest of her life. Will she travel? Is she willing to love again? What role will her children play in her new life? This book was a little too predictable and formulaic. It would be an easy beach read.

VERDICT (Was the author successful?): Guilty, as charged – but unexceptional.

#NetGalley #WindowOnTheBay
Window on the Bay was a very good story about close friendships, family and finding love a second time around when facing an empty nest.

I usually enjoy Debbie Macomber's books and this one was definitely worth reading. If you've read her in the past or prefer books featuring close friends, families and HEAs, this has it all and you will be glad you picked it up.

I liked the primary characters, Jenna and Maureen, and the men they began dating very much. They were mature adults that weren't into playing games. That was refreshing. The only reason I feel like this was a 4.5 star read rather than a 5 is because of the very immature, mean way she had these ladies deal with the men in their lives when something came up that they didn't care for. Other than that, I felt it was a realistic look at folks dating in their 40s or older.

Thank you to Netgalley, the author and publisher for providing an ARC at my request. All thoughts in this review are my own and freely given, as always.
This is a charming tale about growing pains, second chances, letting go, finding love and new beginnings. You won’t be disappointed in the multi-dimensional characters. Macomber’s books always draw me right in.
The beautiful cover is what first attracted me to Debbie Macomber's "Window on the Bay," though I tend to pick up Ms. Macomber's books anyway because they are usually pleasant, quick reads that don't require a lot of thought on my part.  That was mostly true of this book.  It was an enjoyable summertime read perfect for the pool or beach.

I liked both Jenna and Maureen, the female lead characters, and appreciated that they were able to maintain their friendship throughout many years of struggle as single mothers.  I'm sure life wasn't easy for either of them, but they took the time to support each other and make their friendship a priority.  They never forgot their dream of visiting Paris together, and I was happy that they were finally able to make the trip near the end of the book.

Jenna and Maureen's romantic interests, Rowan and Logan, were also pretty likeable, though I didn't get to know them quite as well as Maureen or Jenna.  That said, both couples seemed well-matched, and after they overcame the initial hurdles in their relationships, they seemed to have a lot of interests in common.

Jenna and Maureen's relationships with their grown children were also a key part of the book.  In particular, I enjoyed watching Jenna's daughter Allie mature and see her mother in a new light, especially after becoming friends with Mackensie and realizing that Mackensie needed help improving her relationship with her father.

Overall, "Window on the Bay" was one of the better Macomber books I've read in quite a while.  In fact, it reminded me of some of my favorite Blossom Street and Cedar Cove books of years past.  I recommend it for all Macomber fans, new and old.

*ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Window on the Bay is a new stand alone novel by Debbie Macomber.  The book according to all the blurbs is about Jenna Boltz and her life now she has an empty nest.  However, I would state the the book is also about her best friend Maureen and how she also is moving on.  The chapters often went back and forth between Jenna and Maureen.  Each story was well written about the two best friends.

Originally Maureen and Jenna were college roommates and had planned a trip to Paris. However life got in the way.  Both were married, had children, found careers and rebuilt their lives after divorces.  It is after all this that the story starts.  Jenna’s mother fell and broke her hip.  She is operated on by Dr. Rowan Lancaster, who has a thing for Jenna.  Jenna and Rowan begin to move tentatively forward.

Meanwhile Maureen, a librarian, has a customer come in every week to get a new book.  He always wants her to choose the book he reads and often stops and talks about the books.  Logan is a plumber and as far away from Maureen’s usual type as possible, yet they both feel attracted to each other.

Window on the Bay is so named after Jenna’s view from her house. I liked the stories of beginning again.  I liked how both women needed to rethink their position and sought out each other and their daughters to help them.  I didn’t like how Jenna and Maureen reacted to some situations, but if they were written that way so we could see imperfect character, it was effective.  I was disappointed that the men did not seem to have similar growth experiences.  Despite that I enjoyed the story.  Window on the Bay by Debbie Macomber was a good read.
Window on the Bay writes a story about two friends that are facing a transition stage in life. The story is slightly humorous with characters, facing this new stage in life and they don’t need to pull any punches but tell it exactly how it is.

The dream of both, Jenna and Maureen, of them visiting Paris in early adulthood never happens so these two friends plain on making good on their lifelong dream. Unfortunately, life once again gets in the way and Window on the Bay gives us insight into the ups and downs of what life throughs at you.

Experience the bonds of a friendship that has triumphed over the test of time and getting a second chance at love. Relatable characters, love, laughter, tears and family will pull you right into this enchanting tale.

I received this ARC copy of Window on the Bay from Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine. This is my honest and voluntary review. Window on the Bay was set for publication July 16, 2019.

My Rating: 4 stars
Written by: Debbie Macomber
Hardcover: 336 pages
Publisher: Ballantine Books (July 16, 2019)
ISBN-10: 0399181334
ISBN-13: 978-0399181337
Genre: Woman's Lit | Contemporary Romance

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Window-Bay-Nov...
Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wind...
Itunes: https://books.apple.com/py/book/windo...
1 like
This story is heartwarming, authentic and a good read for a relaxing summer day. I also like how the book cover/design gives a sense of tranquility. Thank you to NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group/Ballantine Books for the ARC.
Debbie MacComber has done it again!!!!!!!  I devoured this book just like I have her others!!!!!!!!!!! Her books have always been enjoyable, light reads to me and being such a huge suspense thriller fan I need a great easy read every now and then. Maureen and Jenna are best friends since college supporting each other through single motherhood raising their children and now both are empty nesters. With their children away the moms now have alot of free time on their hands and they finally meet men and allow themselves to blossom in relationships  Thank you to Netgalley and Random House Publishing for my honest review.
Debbie Macomber has been one of my favorite authors for many years. Her books have the reader wanting to turn the page to find out what is going to happen next.
Window on the Bay is about two woman who each survived a divorce and now were close to empty nesters.  When their plans in college were derailed, each woman vowed that they would soon visit Paris as planned.  However, again unexpected consequences leave not only their plans up in the air, but open up dating opportunities.  Can they learn to love and trust again?  I love how their friendship has stayed the same throughout all the years of college, marriage, children, divorce and now empty nesters.  It was very uplifting.  I received a copy through Netgalley.  A review was not required.
Excerpt:  “No matter what the weather, my window on the bay never failed to soothe me.”

When best friends and single moms, Jenna, an emergency room nurse, and Maureen, a librarian, find themselves with empty nests, the reality of a trip to Paris finally seems like it is on the horizon. As they plot and plan for their trip, life interferes in the most unexpected ways. As the women work their way through the unforeseen events, they each meet a man along the way.

The novel tells the story in alternating chapters of each woman’s struggle with her challenges and the men they meet. Jenna, who has sworn off doctors as a result of her ex-husband, meets a kind, decent man who happens to be a surgeon, and Maureen, a quiet and rather staid librarian at the local library, becomes acquainted with a good looking construction worker who is a bit rough around the edges but has a definite interest in books and life.  Have the two women finally met compatible men after all these years? Can they juggle elderly parents, grown children, and new relationships?

The story is pretty predictable and a bit slow in places. The book makes a nice, easy paced read for those who enjoy a clean story without a lot of excess drama.

This copy was received from Ballantine Books and Netgalley. The above thoughts and opinions are wholly my own.
#NetGalley #WindowOnTheBay
Debbie Macomber is my "go-to" comfort author. I know I am guaranteed when I pick up one of her books I will read a story filled with love and friendship. Window on the Bay was no exception.

The friendship between Jenna and Maureen was what every female relationship should strive for: no jealousy and cheering one another on in life. I am lucky to have two such friendships.

This is a perfect read to share with your teenage daughter as it is a clean read (no sex, only kissing) and no foul language.

I received a copy from the publisher, Random House Publishing, through NetGalley. Any and all opinions expressed in the above review are entirely my own.
Enjoyed this book. Kept me interested all the way through. Would recommend to a fellow reader.  Love the cover.
Wonderful book.  Two divorced empty nester women try and enter the dating field.  They had not had much success in the past, but two perfect men showed up.  It was not without misunderstandings and issues.  The sports bar and opera were priceless.  I laughed out loud.  Their kids also gave them fits at times.  The story was written so well.  Debbie Macomber books are always entertaining and well loved.
I love Debbie's books. They never  ever seem to disappoint, it's like going home. They are so wholesome and full of characters you just can't help but fall in love with. Great beach read with light reading its so effortless. This one just pulls you and all you want to do is cheer everyone on!

I can't wait to see what everyone thinks of this one it's out in all stores July 16th don't forget to grab a copy I know I will be.

My thanks to NetGalley, the author and publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Women facing an “empty nest” is the topic of Debbie Macomber’s book Window on the Bay.  Jenna and Maureen who have been friends from college are divorcees facing life alone, trying to navigate dating in their 40’s.  The story is told  from Jenna’s point of view and chapters with Maureen’s viewpoint. It was refreshing to read a romance with older characters, with women who have experienced much in life.  There is lots of character growth in Jenna and Maureen as well as Jenna’s daughter Allie and Rowan ‘s daughter Mackensie.  Macomber addresses stereotypes with jobs not in the “white collar” realm such as  Logan, a plumber and restaurant worker. The characters were very likeable. For those who like clean, inspirational romances Window on the Bay is an excellent choice.
I thought about this review long and hard before writing it.  I love Debbie Macomber books. They're all about family and friends. This one, for me, missed the mark. I saw them as two longtime friends who were so controlling in their personal lives they drove people away. The best part was they were able, in the end, to heed advice from their children to reach their HEA.

Again this is my personal opinion, I found the story to be very slow and then wound everything up in the epilogue...the whole last 5 years where all the happiness happened.

This book was gifted to me by the publisher in return for an honest review.
Jenna and Maureen have been best friends since college.  They have been there for each other through marriages, babies, divorces, you name it.  Now that Jenna is experiencing empty-nest syndrome and Maureen is feeling lonely as well, they both jump back in to the dating pool.....and unexpectedly they both find love again.  The question is, will the vast differences between Maureen and her boyfriend last?  And will the fact that both Jenna and her man are gun-shy from their first marriage keep them from making a lasting relationship?

I love Debbie Macomber's books.  They are a light, fun read with characters and situations you can relate to.  I was really rooting for Jenna and Maureen.  I cringed at some of the things that happened, and cheered when things went well.  I highly recommend this excellent beach read!
In her prolific style, Debbie Macomber draws the reader into a story of second chances. This time the story follows two women who have spent their lives providing for their children.  They have sacrificed their dreams along the way, but now that their kids are out of the house, they are having their turn.  It is a relatable story for many readers, and an enjoyable read.  I did get frustrated with the characters at times, because they let their past life experiences cause them to question their current situation, but I can also understand and empathize with them too.  Overall, an enjoyable look at the WINDOW ON THE BAY.  I recommend this book and thank Random House Publishing, Ballantine Books and Netgalley for the ARC.
Love anything by Debbie Macomber! Sweet, wonderful romance. Couldn’t put it down! Could relate with her stories and they always fill you comfort and content.