Two Like Me and You

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Jun 2019

This was a really sweet coming of age book! I also love a book that involves travel and these 3 were a really great trio on this trip, I'd recommend this as a light easy read!
I read Two Like Me and You by Chad Alan Gibbs between August 16th and September 1st, 2019 and gave it three stars. If you've been around for a while, then you'll probably know that three stars has become sort of my default rating. I'll write a post soon in which I explain each of my ratings, but in the case of this book, it means that I initially didn't like it but, like I said, it grew on me.

The reason why I didn't like this book at first was the quirky writing style. That is not my thing, that is something that actually makes me take even longer to read a book and that, if not done right, might make the style seem forced, which honestly is what I felt in this novel. I'll assume this is a debut novel, so the author was probably experimenting and looking at what worked and what didn't.

This pretty much the story of two characters who come together for a school project, and in that project, they meet this old man who sends them into all sorts of adventures. There are a few other novels that come to mind when I think about that storyline, such as All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven and Every Exquisite Thing by Matthew Quick. I'm not sure I love the "school project" trope because it literally forces the characters to come together. When they have an assignment, they need to spend time with each other, and the relationship doesn't evolve naturally.

The narrator is a teenage guy whose ex suddenly becomes famous and he's trying to win her back. If that last sentence didn't sound like something John Green could have written, then you haven't read enough John Green. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, I guess it depends on each reader's tastes. I think the author of Two Like Me and You was trying way too hard at first and it showed, but then he kind of let go and let the story flow, and that's when I started enjoying it.

This isn't a romance novel whatsoever, but there is a bit of romance and you'll find yourself rooting for the main character and his love interest throughout the story. Additionally, there is a trip the characters go to, and though you have to suspend disbelief because that couldn't possibly take place in the real world, it was exciting and something interesting to read about. In my notes, I have a trigger warning for suicide, but I don't remember that taking place in the book, so I can't tell you much about it. As always, I'd recommend having someone read the book first and then letting you know if it is safe for you to read.
First things first. The synopsis is interesting and throughout the book, it’s more than that! I love how every chapter has a subtitle of what will happen in that chapter, like a prediction. Honestly, it is kind of hard to put down because of the funny conversations between the characters– Edwin, Parker, and Garland. The overall plot of the book is humorous, unique, and impressive! It is also well-written except for some French words and/or sentences that I couldn’t understand. Gibbs thoroughly exemplifies the characters well with their distinctive personalities although it is somewhat common– nerd, mysterious transferee, and such. But overall, they are fun and interesting to read!
In this entertaining adventure story, Edwin, the main character, finds more than he bargained for on his quest to become famous. After being dumped by his famous ex-girlfriend, Edwin vows to do whatever it takes to get her back. But when he pairs up with Parker Haddaway, the new girl in school, he gets dragged through a whirlwind adventure through Europe that involves a World War II vet and the French police. The storyline wraps up nicely, but you'll have to read it to find out if Edwin becomes famous or attains notoriety.
I rated this 4.5 stars, and the only reason I knocked off the half star is because Parker was so much the manic pixie dream girl trope. However, I really enjoyed her anyway, as well as all the other characters. This book was so refreshing as it didn't focus entirely on the romance plot, and was more of a hilarious adventure with some romantic themes. I really loved the WW2 aspect of it and how Garland told his stories, and thought the plot as a whole was really unique. I'd definitely love to read more from this author.
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from the author, the publisher and Netgalley.com. Thanks to all for the opportunity to read and review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.

This book is hilarious, laugh out loud funny. A delight to read.

5 out of 5 stars. Highly recommended.
This was cute, fun, quirky, and everything I look for in a YA romance. I loved the integration of the older generation, and this was such a fun adventure.

Thank you to NetGalley for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I loved this book so much, I could hardly put it down. The humour was brilliant, the main characters were awesome, the plot was great, the chapter openers made me laugh, and the ending was pretty heart-wrenching. If you enjoy John Green and Maureen Johnson, you should enjoy “Two Like Me and You.”
this book was such a pleasant surprise! i enoyed it very much and found it to be a quick, easy read that you sort of just fly through
You know what? This book really surprised me. I went into it kind of “meh” based on the description of the plot (which, amusingly enough, is a tongue-in-cheek joke made at one point in the book when one of the characters briefly restates what’s going on and the other character responds “Sounds like the plot of a book I wouldn’t read.” I genuinely laughed out loud at that.) So, yeah, my expectations were not all that high going into this book. Boy was I pleasantly surprised!

I loved EVERYTHING about this book. I’ve read some real misses this year, so this was an incredibly welcome surprise. Witty, smart, heart-wrenching, and laugh-out-loud - this book has everything. The writing was just amazing, and the characters were all so likable. Especially Garland. He’s the grandfather we all wish we had.

I can’t sing this book’s praises enough. It’s been awhile since I read such an enjoyable book - one that made me laugh, hope, and cry all at the same time. 5 very enthusiastic stars on this one!

*This review will appear on GoodReads, my personal blog, and retail sites.*
I'm somewhat torn between giving this a 3 star and a 4 star because even though I did enjoy the book, I found it a bit too unrealistic. Like, way too much, at least for me 🙈

The story basically revolves around Edwin Green, who embarks on a journey through France, helping Parker get a new life and Garland find his long lost love. Which seemed very very unlikely to me, and very suspicious. Like, Edwin didn't even know the two of them any well but was all down to help them and break law. Edwin, I know, could be easily convinced. At times, his inner monologue listing things out often just annoyed me. A lot.

I truly felt bad for Edwin because I could relate to his not-breaking-rules persona and also his pain of getting dumped. He was lovely and his worries kept me entertained throughout.

Parker was just - okay. I did not hate her, neither did I love her. I found her very bossy and couldn't connect to her arc.

Garland, on the other hand, I totally disliked him. Don't get me wrong, but I just did not like his character arc at all. He was stupid and silly and just too reckless. Now, I too like and adore reckless characters, but he continuously kept making Edwin uncomfortable. I found him plain rude and unlikable.

I loved the historic premise of the story and the whole setting of Paris. It was vivid and beautiful. The story overall was very entertaining, exciting and kept me on the edge of my seat. I laughed and giggled, and it was full of bittersweet moments. I enjoyed the end more because it wasn't entirely happy but still happy.

Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good heartfelt contemporary with historic touches.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a free e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
A little too derivative for my liking, but it was incredibly well written with likeable characters. I needed more of a new spin on the love sick, let’s win them back riff.
Edwin is normally a cautious guy.
The day he meets Garland, that changed.

Edwin’s life hasn’t been the same since his girlfriend Sadie left him. She became famous by accident and left Edwin when a talent scout spotted her at 16.

This is a great journey.

Edwin’s class is assigned to interview someone around during WWII.
He gets paired up with the new girl at school, Parker
Parker knows exactly who she wants to interview. His name is Garland, he’s at the nursing home where her aunt works.

When Edwin meets Garland, Garland offers him $50,000 to take him and Parker to Paris. Garland is trying to track down his true love.

Edwin’s first instinct is, of course, to say no. He’s only in high school, he knows he won’t actually be allowed to do it. He doesn’t want to agree to do something behind his parents’ backs.
But a few things appeal to Edwin right away:
1) If he became famous for helping Garland, he might get Sadie back
2) his parents are worried about how to pay his college tuition
3) he is a romantic and he likes the idea of reuniting Garland with his lost love

What follows is an epic journey. The characters are likable and colorful.
I really enjoyed it.

I got to read an early copy of this book from NetGalley. Thanks!
I got to say this book is unlike what you see just from the synopsis or title. It's totally unexpectedly good and fun to read. Edwin and Parker were assigned to pair up for an school assignment and Parker introduces Garland who is a World War II veteran (someone they need to interview for their assignment). The adventure begin when 3 of them set to France to look for Garland's long lost love.
I enjoy the adventure in the story although the immaturity in Edwin who can't get over his ex can be a little annoying at some point. Overall, it is a fun and wild adventure that tackles the issues of growing up and hanging onto long lost love. This book made me laugh and tugged on my heart strings.

I received an ARC through Victory Editing NetGalley Co-Opfor an honest review.
I don't know what I was expecting when I first started reading Two Like Me and You. However, whatever I expected? This book exceeded those expectations. By far.
I was offered an ARC by Netgalley in exchange for a review. All opinions are strictly my own.

The story
Edwin Green's ex-girlfriend is famous. We're talking cover-of-every-tabloid-in-the-grocery-store-line famous. She dumped Edwin one year ago on what he refers to as Black Saturday, and in hopes of winning her back, he's spent the last twelve months trying to become famous himself. It hasn't gone well.

But when a history class assignment pairs Edwin with Parker Haddaway, the mysterious new girl at school, she introduces him to Garland Lenox, a nursing-home-bound World War II veteran who will change Edwin's life forever.

The three escape to France, in search of the old man's long-lost love, and as word of their adventure spreads, they become media darlings. But when things fall apart, they also become the focus of French authorities. In a race against time, who will find love, and who will only find more heartache?

The opinion
This story really has it all. There's romance, there's history, there's a chase for something possibly impossible that's just crazy enough to be plausble. And throughout all of that, there's an author who manages to get it just right every single time.

I mean, where do I begin, really? The slightly over the top-ness of just about everything that Garland says? The mystery that is Parker Haddaway, and the perfect pace with which the author manages to unveil just why and how she is the way she is? Or the melancholy, the acknowledgment of "why am I doing this" mixed with a heaping helping of "what am I even doing?" crossing through Edwin's mind for just about the entirety of his narration.

As Edwin, Parker and Garland make their way through France, there's a slow reveil of what exactly brought all three of them there. The culmination of that, which felt both so tragic and sad, but also so utterly perfect for each of these characters? The way the ending is hinted at-but-not-quite even from the first page. The way everything that happens seems just a little mad a bit insane... Yet I was so willing to go along in it, so rooting for them to find what they were looking for... That's the signs of a great author for me.

The rating: 5/5
I don' give 5 stars easily. I really don't - I almost have to feel that a book changed me, or my perspective. But Two Like Me and you definitely did that - and it left me sitting there, just staring in front of me, and wishing to experience that entire thing again. I absolutely loved it!

-Saar
This was so sweet and some of it is set in France and we all know I love a good France book. Does he become famous or not? Lick this up to find out!!
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book. I was laughing out loud so many times during this book. It kept my attention and I couldn’t help but root for the hero, Edwin Green.
I really enjoyed this book; cute characters, great story and fantastic pacing. A great YA book that can be fully appreciated by adults alike. One of my favourite books so far this year. Well deserved 5 stars.
I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I didn’t like this book at the beginning but it got better as I worked my way through it. It was a nice story about love and new relationships. The characters were well developed and I felt they were friends by the end of the book.
This was a delightful read. Part young adult, part historical fiction, I found the book to be funny, warm and adventurous. I really enjoyed all the characters but I especially liked hearing it narrated by Edwin. Soeaking as the mother of two teenage boys I thought Gibbs did a great job of capturing an authentic voice. I found the story to be original and fun, I finished it in just a few sittings because I was excited to see what would happen.