Cover Image: This is Not How it Ends

This is Not How it Ends

Except for her beloved mother, there is nothing Charlotte loves more than teaching. Until Philip. A chance meeting on a flight brings the impressive, charming businessman and the lovely, diffident teacher together, and is the beginning of a new life for Charlotte.

Convinced that she has finally found forever love, Charlotte agrees to move her life to the Keys in Islamorada, Florida to be with Philip. Charlotte meets a grand new friend and ends up working in her homeopathic practice. The ever-popular Philip introduces Charlotte to his best friend Ben – chef and single father and congenially asks Ben to watch over Charlotte when he’s away on business. Life is idyllic…seemingly.

Charlotte is used to Philip’s travels for work but as time passes, his trips become more frequent and longer, and she begins to sense a shift in their relationship. Charlotte’s suspicions feed her uncertainties and she starts to doubt Philip’s commitment. As she begins to spend more time with Ben, Charlotte soon realizes the connective attraction between them. Is it fair to love more than one person at a time?

I felt where the story was going, fairly early on. However, Weinstein’s poignant and splendid writing has the reader savoring the slow getting there and reaching for tissue by the end.

There will be times when an outcome in life has reached an impasse...but you might just need to pause for a moment. Breathe deep and think...perhaps, TINHIE.

I highly recommend this remarkable, heartrending novel.

Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for Rochelle B. Weinstein’s read of, This is Not How it Ends.

Opinions expressed in my reviews are my own.
A roller coaster of emotions in this book. Deep, moving and raw. I enjoyed this a lot. Well written and easy to follow and fall into.
This is a combo of a romance plus touching  on the subject of allergies.  The romance is the man works hard but is never around, making the woman become lonely and fall for another.  The main thing that turned me against it was the back and forth of every other chapter. It is a lovely story and had me in tears at times. This story had me confused at times, as the female character faces losses yet stays with one that is never around.  I want to thank Net Galley for giving me the chance to read it.
I felt a roller-coaster of emotions reading this one - it alternates part of the book sharing the couple’s heartwarming meet-cute to some serious issues in the relationship a couple years later. I think the alternating chapters ( I liked the couple in the past and didn’t like them in the future) made it harder to care for the relationship. I had mixed feelings. But the book fully engaged me and it left me thinking about it after finishing.
I enjoyed this book so very much. It was my first read by Rochelle B. Weinstein and it definitely won’t be my last. The characters were great: Charley, Phillip, Ben, Jimmy, Liberty and more. I liked the love story but there were definitely some elements of the story I didn’t love. I am normally turned off by cheating in a novel but by the end of the book it worked for the plot line. There were the right amount of hints of what was coming so I wasn’t really surprised by what happened with Phillip. The ending of the book was beautiful and really tied up the story well. I’m really glad I read this book.
What a way to end the month of May. Rochelle writes with such beauty & grace in the utmost delicate fashion. I appreciate the characters she created, the structure, and over all story that she wove together. She takes on constructs of relationships, love and life in such an interesting scope that I deeply appreciate as a reader. Thank you Lake Union Publishing for the opportunity to read in advance.
After falling in love on a flight, Charlotte and Philip are settling into their new home and life together. Sure, Charlotte knew he traveled a lot for work, but will she be able to deal with the day to day reality of what that really means? After all, she's already grief stricken and lonely after the recent loss of her beloved, single mom, so how will she cope with Philip's elusive behavior? Do they have a future together, or is it time to move on with single dad, Ben?

"Life throws shit at all of us, and it's how we deal with it that defines who we are."

Due to the loss of my own mother two years ago, I was deeply moved by the portrayal of loss and grief suffered by Charlotte. As I've often wondered myself, "when the person who gives you life disappears, how do you go on living?" As Charlotte learns, the answer is day by day and sometimes minute by minute. What is her best path forward, and will she be able to forgive herself for hurting someone she loves?

"Forgiveness is a gift. Life holds no guarantees. Happiness comes with risks."

Location: Islamorada, Florida and Kansas City, Missouri

I received an advance copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
This book.... wow.

Charlotte and Phillip meet on a plane. He is a wealthy, powerful businessman. She is a teacher on her way home from a conference. They are inexplicably drawn to each other and soon begin a whirlwind romance. They have a deep, encompassing love. Then, something changes and Charlotte can't quite put her finger on what is wrong. And when she finally gets her answers, everything changes again.

There is so much emotion in this book. Love, joy, heartbreak, grief, jealousy, regret, happiness, and hope - not in that order, but all mixed up like dice in a cup. I wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but I couldn't put it down. The characters in this book - all of them - are captivating. Read this book as soon as possible.
4 Stars

Charlotte is a woman with a huge capacity for love.  Who knew that it would tear her in two?

Charlotte meets enigmatic Phillip on a plane to Kansas City.  Though they only share a few hours together, both feel it.  Their connection doesn’t happen everyday and it’s only a matter of time before he slips a ring on her finger.

Moving to Florida seems like an easy decision once Charlotte loses the only other person in her life that she cares about besides Phillip.

If only Phillip wasn’t always away on business.  If only she didn’t always feel so alone.

Meeting Ben happens by chance.  His son Jimmy has an allergic reaction and Charlotte acts fast.  As it happens, Phillip and Ben are close friends.  Their lives intertwine.  Feelings surface and Charlotte is torn.  How could she not be?

Nothing is ever that simple.

Admittedly, I had this novel figured out almost immediately and that, I think took a bit away from my enjoyment of it.

That being said, in “This is Not How it Ends” by Rochelle B. Weinstein I was immediately entranced by the character of Charlotte and I could see how both Phillip and Ben were too.  Yet I wanted more.  I didn’t feel wholly invested in Charlotte and Phillip’s relationship.  I felt as though it was missing something - as though it were lacking (even though Phillip was extremely kind, generous and loving and boy was he ever!!), yet I did not feel that way once Ben came into the picture.  That felt like the real thing to me and that is when I was all in.  Ben got me hook, line and sinker.

Even though I knew what was coming, when the ending came I admit to sobbing like a baby.  Thank goodness I had tissues at the ready.  Rochelle B. Weinstein, how could you do that to me?!

What more can I say?  “This is Not How It Ends” is a novel I took a chance on simply because I saw stellar reviews from friends.  The pub date had already passed when I thought about reading it and I debated about it and decided to grab it anyways and boy am I glad I did.

A huge thank you goes out to Jennifer, Berit and  Mackenzie for convincing me that I need to read this.

Thank you to NetGalley, Lake Union Publishing and Rochelle B. Weinstein for the arc.

Published on Goodreads on 1.28.20.
This is Not my usual read but, this cover of How it Ends by Rochelle B. Weinstein just appealed to me. Don't judge a book by its cover! So, hands up I requested the book. I was not disappointed, one thing I should say It should have warning signs over it "You need tissues and lots of them...........This book too emotional for me and played with all my emotions!...........and it became a stop start kind of book for me. I got there in the end and finished it. Rochelle wrote with so much passion and How it Ends was beautifully written.

I recommend it......But don't forget your tissues.

Big Thank you to Netgalley, Lake Union Publishing, and Rochelle B. Weinstein. for a copy of this book for an honest review.
Book blurb…
From USA Today bestselling author Rochelle B. Weinstein comes a moving novel of hearts lost and found, and of one woman torn between two love stories.
When Charlotte and Philip meet, the pair form a deep and instant connection. Soon they’re settled in the Florida Keys with plans to marry. But just as they should be getting closer, Charlotte feels Philip slipping away.
Second-guessing their love is something Charlotte never imagined, but with Philip’s excessive absences, she finds herself yearning for more. When she meets Ben, she ignores the pull, but the supportive single dad is there for her in ways she never knew she desired. Soon Charlotte finds herself torn between the love she thought she wanted and the one she knows she needs.
As a hurricane passes through Islamorada, stunning revelations challenge Charlotte’s loyalties and upend her life. Forced to reexamine the choices she’s made, and has yet to make, Charlotte embarks on an emotional journey of friendship, love, and sacrifice—knowing that forgiveness is a gift, and the best-laid plans can change in a heartbeat.
This Is Not How It Ends is a tender, moving story of heartbreak and healing that asks the question: Which takes more courage—holding on or letting go?

My thoughts...
PLOT
During this story the Author describes the character's situation as one right out of a Nicolas Sparks movie.  This made me realise that the plot was so like the voice of Sparks.  The story line was straight forward and predictable, but , like a Nicholas Sparks, an enjoyable, light read.
PACE
The pace was steady (maybe a little slow at times) but a book needs ebbs and flows. In saying that, the story read well, was entertaining and the ending satisfying.
LANDSCAPE
I normally enjoy the landscape and consider it as important as a character in a novel. On this occasion, however, aside from situating the characters in a particular house (or restaurant) landscape did its job and that is all.
 CHARACTERS
The characters are well-developed, with Charlotte being pivotal as the story is hers, and told in first person.  The author crafted Phillip and Ben well and I had a perception of how they were as men. Unfortunately I felt no emotional connection.  I had a good understanding of what made them who they were but could not get close enough or involved enough. The author missed an opportunity with this one.
OVERALL FEELINGS ABOUT THE STORY
Overall an enjoyable story but with a plot that played out rather predictably. I think the cover grabbed me.
This was my first book by Rochelle Weinstein. I had previously heard great things but unfortunately, it just didn't come together for me. While there was lots of drama and deceit, it was surprisingly slow-paced and just felt hard to engage with.

I had a hard time with the main character, Charlotte and struggled with the narration jumping back and forth in time. This ended up being a DNF for me. This book obviously was a hit for many others but it just didn't work for me.

Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.   Thank you NetGalley.

I'd consider this book to be an emotional read about Charlotte and her relationship with two men.    The pull she feels, the emotions she lives... it's all relatable.

The characters were well-developed and relatable.   The storyline was great, easy to follow, and kept my interest.

I"ll definitely be reading more by this author.
This Is Not How It Ends by Rochelle B. Weinstein is an emotional read about Charlotte and the two men in her life.  I rarely read emotional books, preferring to keep my books light hearted, but I'm glad I did.  This book has a well developed storyline and characters.  Once I started reading this book, I could not stop until I was done.  I will be reading more books by this author.  I highly recommend this book.
I cried so many tears throughout this book!  Such an emotional journey for Charlotte, Philip and Ben.

Life is messy.  It's real and it breaks you.  Learning to love and let yourself be loved his hard.  It makes you vulnerable and when you lose it, it's hard to love again.

Beautiful story with real characters.  You will cry.
The premise of this book made me so excited to start reading it.  However, that feeling didn't last long.  While the writing was very good, and Rochelle Weinstein is a master a crafting a raw, emotional story, I just didn't love the story.  I enjoyed the ending more than I did the rest of the story, and that is really where my three start rating comes from.  This book chronicled a sort of messy love triangle and I wasn't loving some of the themes and elements of this book.
Weinstein delivers a moving, touching story of love found, lost, and found again. A poignant novel that is sure to cause laughter, tears, and gasps of surprise. A touching, thought-provoking book that deals with some difficult, heart-wrenching topics in a thoughtful way. You won't be able to put this book down!
From my blog: Always With a Book:

When you receive a package of tissues with the book, you know you are in for an emotional read and that is exactly what we get with Rochelle Weinstein's latest book. But it's the kind of emotional read that sneaks up on you...and that to me is the very best kind.

One of the things I love the most about Rochelle's writing is that she creates such relatable, well-drawn characters that you connect with right from the start. They are also incredibly thought provoking books and have you taking a hard look at your own relationships. I saw myself in these relationships time and again, wondering if things were to go down that road, what I would do.

This book is about love and loss, friendship and forgiveness. It has all the feels and as I stated above, it's a quiet read that sneaks up on you, taking hold of your heart and not letting go. I love Rochelle's writing and will be recommending this book to everyone that loves great women's fiction. This is a book I will not be forgetting anytime soon!
***Thank you to Net Galley for an advance copy of this novel***

What a gut-wrenching, emotional roller-coaster of a book. Really enjoyed the descriptive passages and vivid scene-setting. Time taken with character development was well-spent and had you invested in the story. Looking forward to reading other works by Ms. Weinstein.
This is Not How it Ends put me on a rollercoaster of emotions from the start to the end.  Charlotte and Philip had a whirlwind romance and planned to marry.  Charlotte struggled with losing herself while Philip traveled around the world.  Ben and his son entered into her life unexpectantly but soon learned of their connection with Philip.  Charlotte started spending more time with them while Philip felt like he was slowly becoming less important.

After some things are uncovered, Charlotte re-evaluated her priorities, needs, and desires.  I consumed this book and couldn't stop reading.  The turmoil felt so real and palatable with every detail that I read.  Well done Rochelle B. Weinstein!  I loved this novel and can't wait to read another one by her.

I was provided a free copy of The Grace Year through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.