Cover Image: This is Not How it Ends

This is Not How it Ends

I usually try to finish every book I start.  But I have so many books to read that I don't want to waste my time on books that I'm not into.  I'm sure this is a good book.  But to me there was too much description and not enough action.  It would take two pages just to tell the reader that she answered the door.  There needs to be a good mix between good description and action.

Net Galley gave me an ARC for an honest review.  Sorry I couldn't finish it.
Charlotte, Philip and Ben, a triangle that will engage you, delight you and intrigue you. Charlotte thinks that Philip is the love of her life, her soul mate and they begin a life together in the Florida keys. But something is missing and Charlotte feels an emptiness in her soul. Then she meets Ben, and they connect immediately. Is Ben the man she is destined to be with? The stakes are high for all three characters and the reader will be swept up in this engrossing story. Highly recommend!
I really enjoyed this book.  The story was well written and the characters were honest and believable.  Would make a terrific book club pick with so many discussion points.  The ending leaves the reader satisfied.
I wanted to like this book more but could not get passed how little I liked the lead character, Charlotte. The story is fine, if a little dragged out, but some of Charleys reactions made it really difficult for me to care about her.
This is a love story - not a romance with hearts and flowers and a happily ever after storybook ending - but a true to life love story with all of its joys and problems. It's an emotional story and we see all of Charlotte's love, hope, guilt, sorrow and get totally immersed in her life. I laughed with her and cried with her and she is not a character that I'll soon forget.

Charlotte met Philip on an airplane. There is an immediate connection between them and love soon follows. They move to Key West together and due to Philip's wealth, they have all that money can buy but there is a problem - Philip is gone most of the time working all over the world. As they get engaged, Charley wonders if this is the life that she really wants or does she want someone who is there when she needs him. Then she meets Ben who is Philip's best friend and there is an immediate spark between them. He is a solid strong working man who isn't traveling all over the world and he seems to really understand her and her needs. She knows that she needs to make a choice between the two men and the life they can each offer her but a hurricane and the aftermath force her to make a decision. But is it the right decision?

This is a love story looked at from every angle - the excitement of first love, the forgiveness, the needs of the characters. The three main characters are so well written that they feel like friends. This is a definite must read book - but WARNING - keep Kleenex close at hand.
This amazing, emotionally powerful journey of love, family, loss, and healing that touched me deeply and I couldn't put it down from page one. Raw, intense and gratifying to the heart.  A love triangle, friendship, laughter, and all.the.feels!  I love this author and I will read everything she writes.  Kleenex may be needed, but you will be thrilled you read this beautiful work of art.  5 stars!
It's rare to read a book about people in situations that you've never been in, yet be able to feel exactly what they're feeling. This is Not How it Ends is that kind of book. It's full of raw emotion and is both heartbreaking and enjoyable.

I received an advance copy. All thoughts are my own.
Charlotte and Phillip's story begins on a plane and sometimes first impressions are not always the best impressions. For much of the story, I was suspicious of Phillip, not trusting him (I can see how hard trust was for Charlotte), he was often flippant and tried too hard to be funny.

Charlotte and Ben's story begins at a market when Ben's son, Jimmy, has a severe allergic reaction to a sample he tried. As Charlotte and Ben get to know each other, there's a connection that's hard to deny.

This is Not How it Ends explores the idea of when the love is there, but it's not enough. This story packs a heck of an emotional punch. I laughed, I cried, I fell in love with Charlotte, Phillip (yes, even him) and Ben, and I didn't want the story to end.

This is the second novel of Weinstein's that I've read and I highly recommend both this novel and Somebody's Daughter.
Wow. Rarely does a book move me to utter tears, but Charley’s pain, suffering, and redemption most certainly did!

Weinstein has woven a story of uncertainty, the inevitability of death and the comforting trust of redemption so effortlessly into a novel that leaves you wanting more, chapter after chapter.

The story is woven between past experiences of when Charley and Philip meet (a plane to Miami and Kansas City) and their modern life together (in the Keys). Amongst the timeline, Weinstein sprinkles little moments of butterfly flutters, showing Charley that this life she lives, and the people she’s met along the way- Ben, Liberty, and Sunny the dog- are all part of a bigger plan than even she can understand.

The only thing that holds me back from a 5 star review was the wrap-up. It felt rushed, and I feel that Charley’s future holds itself as another novel in and of itself. Maybe that is just me selfishly talking- needing more of Charley’s life- but nonetheless, a little rushed.
This is Not How it Ends is a beautifully heart wrenching story of love, loss and hope. A word of warning. Have the tissues handy and don't read the ending on your lunch hour. I can't wait to read Rochelle B. Weinstein's next book!
Check out my in-depth Q&A Elevator Ride Interview with one of my favorite authors, Rochelle B. Weinstein. Get all the exclusives and behind-the-scenes moments, as well as fun facts about, THIS IS NOT HOW IT ENDS, and this multi-talented and gifted author.

No one writes “love” stories and tackles highly charged topics better than Rochelle! What a great way to kick off the new year. Set aside the time because once you start reading, you will not be able to put it down. 😎

"Poignant, compelling, emotional, and captivating!

A powerful love story—my favorite since Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook! I would love to see a movie based on the book!" 🎬 (please film in Islamorada). When I discovered the setting was in Islamorada and a bonus —my two favorite restaurants— (Morada Bay and Pierre's) —I was over-the-moon. I was a local and lived in the Keys for several years, and this was a slice of heaven—my favorite spot. (more below on this)

I fell in love with Rochelle's stunning lyrical prose beginning with Where We Fall (Top Books of 2016). I could not wait to read her first two novels—The Mourning After and What We Leave Behind (once again, mesmerizing). Then last year, she wowed us with the emotionally charged Somebody's Daughter (Top Books of 2018). I have been an avid fan since!

A highly anticipated modern love story, THIS IS NOT HOW IT ENDS is beautifully written (and a "to die for" fabulous cover)! 💕

You will fall in love with Ben, Philip, and Charley (and Sunny). It isn't easy to put into words or adequately convey the true meaning of this extraordinary book. This is not the usual love triangle. It is so much more.

Oh, and that "letter". . . . AHHHHH moment. After reading there will be NO dry eyes. (more on this included in the interview)

Rich in character and place, Rochelle is a master storyteller, and she knocked this one "out of the park!" A must-read for 2020.

Her BEST yet!
* The novel will change you.
* Will make you think and feel.
* You will cry tears of sorrow and joy.
* Unique and memorable in many ways.
* A glowing 5 STARS
* My Top Books of 2020.

What an evocative setting for an exquisite love story.🥰🌴 Thank you, for writing this beautiful story. Rochelle, you were born to write, and your passion is reflective throughout.

If you enjoy authors: Jodi Picoult, T. Greenwood, Diane Chamberlain, Emily Giffin, Patti Callahan Henry, Nicholas Sparks, Charles Martin, Richard Paul Evans, Colleen Hoover, Sally Hepworth, and Catherine Ryan Hyde— you are assured to fall in love with this spellbinding novel and Rochelle's signature style.

If you have not read her books, I highly recommend. She is not afraid to tackle highly-charged emotional topics and balances them with compassion, heart, with a strong sense of place and well-developed memorable characters.

I hope you enjoy THIS IS NOT HOW IT ENDS, as much as I did!

#JDCMustReadBooks
If Charlotte had known her life was going to take a sharp turn she would have taken a shortcut with Sunny- her dog. Sunny was a gift from Philip but he mostly didn’t like Philip. Charlotte had went to the store for honey. Sunny let a little boy pet him. After the boy and man went down the aisle Sunny was tugging Charlotte toward Lucille, who was handing out a sample cups with a morning snack in it.  She said” C’Mon Sunny” even though the little boy who had pet Sunny reached for his throat. The boy's father was nowhere in sight. The boy fell to the ground, his backpack crumpling beside him. The next sixty seconds were in a blur, his dad turned the corner. The shiny metal bracelet on the boys wrist screamed emergency. Severe allergies. . his father pulled out an EpiPen, his fingers trembled as he ripped the top off. Charlotte was on the floor next to him, but suddenly the man went stiff. Charlotte ripped the EpiPen out of his hand while the man cradled his son’s head. She jabbed the EpiPen against the little boys thigh and heard the snick of the needle. Than the boy came to. The man held him saying Jimmy. Than Charlotte said Jimmy needs to go to the hospital encase he needed another injection. That’s when she noticed her bare finger. The ring Philip had just given her was gone. The man noticed she was looking for something and found her diamond ring. Than the boy was taken on the stretcher but he asked if she and the dog would come with him. She said no as she knew Philip would be arriving from LA on the redeye he had taken and be at her house. But Sunny pulled her and she let him. She thought oh Jimmy innocent and fresh-faced like some of her former students. Soon she was inside the vehicle, her and Sunny riding to the hospital with Jimmy and his father. Philip had often told her how they first met. He calls it a combination of fate and circumstance. Charlotte chuckles because it was really the result of equipment change in one of the country's busiest airports. Charlotte was flying back from Kansas City that afternoon. They had to take a different plane she had  a seat in row thirteen, knowing the suspicion. Than Philip came down the aisle arguing with the flight attendant and he was angry
knowing  the suspicion. Than Philip came down the aisle arguing with the flight attendant and he was angry.   He had a first class ticket that was dissolved into economy and nothing could be done it was a smaller plane. The older woman in the aisle seat offered Philip her seat, maybe he’d have more room but Philip told her, he’d never make a lovely woman give up her seat for him. Than he was buying both Charlotte and Margaret- the older woman- drinks. Than Philip was flirting with Charlotte and admitted it. When he asked Charlotte she said she taught Honor’s english to H S students. Charlotte was thirty and figured Philip was probably forty maybe more. Charlotte also said she avoided romantic commitments Philip said he wasn’t good at modern dating. After they landed Philip walked with her than he handed Charlotte a card if she ever wanted to talk about her student’s thesis again.  Charlotte answered a text from Philip while at the hospital saying she’d be home soon. An hour later Philip texted again and she didn’t respond. After last night’s conversation she was sure she owed him a response and tucked her phone back in her bag. Ben - Jimmy’s father- called her name and told Charlotte she had saved Jimmy’s life. She asked how she knew and she pulled out her own EpiPen and said her poison was almonds. She then told him she was cured she carried an EpiPen out of habit. She then gave him a card and said when he opened it, call Dr. Scot Liberty. Charlotte had always had a problem with connection. It had never been easy for Charlotte. Trust was a factor and she already decided already early on that marriage probably wasn’t in the cards. Than she noticed Philip talking to a beautiful blonde woman she’d seen him talking to earlier. She was out with her mother for her birthday celebration. She’d invited Daniel to shut her mother up. As they were going to leave she leaned over to give daniel a kiss even though she knew her and Daniel weren’t going anywhere even though he wanted to and than Philip seen her  and walked over and invited them to join his table. Than Charlotte found out the beautiful woman was Philip’s sister. Philip said he knew he was going to see her again. He also told she was an interesting woman. She had thought Philip was someone she could let in and love. She had grown but they hadn’t.
This book just isn't for me. It dragged for me. For me . I didn't like going back and forth between past and present. I just couldn’t get into this book. It didn’t hold my interest. I am sure others will love it
Yes, I was in tears at the end of this book. I would be surprised if someone was not in tears at the end of this book. I love a happy ending. It was just the book I needed to start the new year.

I did figure out what was happening very early on but that did not distract at all from the story. I think it added a bit of an ominous feeling. You had to hope it was going the way that you wanted it to.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting a good cry.

Thanks to Netgalley and Lake Union for a copy of this book.
Charlotte has a mistrust for men abandoning her thanks to her father so she keeps her distance emotionally.  That is, until she meets Phillip on a plane.  For some reason, he seems difference.  He is just as infatuated with her as she is with him.  With promises to make her happy beyond her wildest dreams, she moves with him to Islamorado, near the Florida Keys.  Once there, his traveling goes into high gear but when he is home, he is hers.
 Circumstances begin to change as Phillip is gone more and more and Ben is there for her.  Charlotte has had a lot of heartache in her life but she dealing but nothing can prepare her for the next big blow.  The heartbreak, reconciliation with her father, and Ben and Jimmy leaving the island.  How much can a girl take?  How does it really end?  This is my first book that I have read by Ms. Weinstein.  She has created a story that you can connect with the characters and feel the good times and the bad times.  Thanks to Ms. Weinstein, Lake Union Publishing, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.
My first book of 2020, and if it this is what books are like this year, it's going to be a good one.

Charlotte and Philip have a (somewhat stereotypical) meet cute on an airplane while sitting in economy, and start a romantic relationship that will alter both of their lives. And writing it like this makes it sound cliche, but that's not what this is. It's a really good book, which I couldn't put down, about your childhood and trauma and how it really can shape who people love and what people need or want from relationships.

Without giving too much away, make sure you keep the tissue box handy for the last quarter of this book, and be prepared to be unavailable for a day or two so you can focus on immersing yourself in these characters and their stories.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with the ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review. It has not influenced my opinion.
A wonderful novel about what it takes to open yourself up to love, hope, despair and forgiveness. Charlotte is a character that you will cheer for as you watch her grow into a confident person who figures out what she wants and goes for it.
A truly heart wrenching and heart warming story.  Charlotte and Phillip meet and quickly fall in love.  Living in an idyllic part of Florida life seems truly wonderful.  Phillip then seems to be away more and leaving Charlotte doubting their relationship and starting to fall for single father Ben and his adorable son.  I loved this story.  All characters were likeable and the description made you feel the sand beneath your feet and the wonderful Florida sun.  A gripping read.
Solid. Then Waterfall. I’ve heard a lot of friends talking about this book for a few months, and even though I had it already there were always more pressing deadlines, so I didn’t actually manage to read it until release day. And damn. For the first 2/3 ish of this book, it is solid but on par with the level expected from Lake Union Publishing – a high ish standard already, as they’ve never once let me down and given me a subpar book. But then you get to the last 1/3 ish of this text and suddenly your eyes are effectively waterfalls for the next 100 pages or so. And I began to see why so many friends were praising this book so highly. Truly excellent work, and very much recommended.
A really well written and emotional book. Charlotte's story could be any one of us very thought provoking and real. Charlotte has to decide between Philip or Ben both very different men and different circumstances with each. Life pulls at them each in different ways a well worth reading book.
I received an ARC from NetGalley and I have to say this book was a surprise.  Reading about the book, I was expecting the relationship between Charlotte and Philip but the book has so much more depth.  It was the depth that captured my attention and made the book different from others.  I don't want to tell you the different things that made the depth of the book because I hope you can discover them on your own as I did.  The description of the book enticed me to read it, the things going on that made the depth made me enjoy the book even more and then when Charley visited TINHIE it brought the book home for me.  It wasn't a rollercoaster ride but a fast-paced, keep you reading a book.  I am not saying too much about the book because the nicest part of reading it is all the things woven together. When I got to a part, I said the title is This is not how it ends and the title was perfect.  I think you will love it as I did.