Cover Image: The Future of Another Timeline

The Future of Another Timeline

This was a bit confusing and fiddly in terms of details, but it's clearly well-researched, and it was an interesting read overall.
The author did a lot of research for this title and it paid off.  I wasn't always sure where the author was leading me, but it all paid off at the end.
While I felt like the time travel mechanics of this book were a bit confusing, granted a lot of time travel books are hard to understand, I really enjoyed this one. I like that this was female dominated book. I haven't picked up any previous books by Newitz but I'll consider it going forward.
Loved this feminist queer sci fi with a  revenge twist. More of this please! I was swept away by this fantastic tale and the characters were lovable.
This book makes me think. It keeps me thinking. I love speculative fiction because it tells a story that we can't possibly ignore, but still hits a little too close to home. It sneaks in and makes you think about your life and how to live.
This is a time travel book about the alternate timeline of women's rights and the travelers hoping to fix it. Once I got into the story I really enjoyed it. However the structure is set up as two different storylines happening non-linearly and that really threw me for a loop. After finishing the book I understand why it had to be structured that way, but it's not my favorite device. I enjoyed the themes of women's suffrage, and creating a better future. This will be a big hit of anyone who is fans of Handmaid's Tale.
The time-traveling geologists who form the Daughters of Harriet have one goal- save the timeline from a group trying to enslave half of humanity. When an agent known as Tess discovers that she can make small changes to save a loved one in the past, she risks everything to both complete her mission and change her life. Swashbuckling and adventurous with some seriously awesome feminist heros, a must for fans of The Power or intelligent writing.
I loved this book and the way it approached time travel and combined it with social justice. The time travel element was completely novel in a way that skewed more fantastical than scientific, and I would love to see another book from the author that continues this world with a different group of characters. That's not to say I didn't enjoy this group of characters, because I was definitely a fan of them and their mission - which was also really unique and original - but I feel like I got a satisfying conclusion to their story and am content with an implied future for them. The author set up an intriguing world and we've only gotten to explore a small part of it, I want to see more!
I really enjoyed a great many things about this book. Characters were fleshed out and the plot was well spaced. Some of the secondary storylines could've used a bit more page space but all in all an enjoyable read!
I really like the concept of this book quite a bit, but I wanted to like the execution more. I really enjoy time travel books and films, but, oddly, I found the Beth story line more compelling than that of Tess, the time traveler. There are some interesting moments, but there were some that I felt took away from the narrative -- both subplots and characters included. I still finished this book and ordered copies for the stores, but I think the audience is a little more niche than a normal time travel book. I recommend it, but it'll be harder for me than some others.
Time travel feminists fighting against time travelling chauvinists!

Real events are used as a backdrop of a thriller. The conflict between men and women seems simplistic but does mirror events that are taking place now. It would have been preferable to see the genders collaborating to protect human rights but as I said, mirroring today's reality.

There's maybe too much time spent explaining the time travel that gets in the way of action and ideas, yet this is kind of satisfying to read in itself.

This book sent me off on all kinds of tangents to find out more about the characters and events described, which to me is the mark of a good read. Thank you to the author for showing me new things and introducing new ideas.
*I received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks for the free book.*

What if you could edit history? Travel to different times and shape society? "Remember when we had the vote?" When abortion was legal? When women were allowed to become scientists? When men seek to take women's rights away, a war over different timelines begins. The story follows Beth, a teenager drawn into a spiral of violence, and Tess, a geoscientist who alters timelines for a living. Their lives and histories intertwine.

Even though it took me ages to read this book, it was actually quite good. I liked the mysteriousness of it all, the sisterhood protecting timelines, the different timelines and to a certain degree the stories of our two main protagonists even though, now after reading it all, I'm still 60% confused. Might be because I only read this late at night on my phone when I couldn't sleep or on my daily commute.

Anyway. It's good. Read it, if you want to know more about this time war, edits that change worlds, and different civilizations from the past and future.

3,5 Stars
Kinda weird, pretty great! Readers looking to escape their surroundings pick this up!
Thank you to the publisher and to Netgalley for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.
I wanted to love this book more than I did, but I still recommend it. The blurb sells itself: a feminist time travelling team out to save history, heavy on the riot grrrl. Part dragged a bit, and the intricacies of the ins and outs of the time travel geology mechanism, while interesting, sometimes dominated the plot. A great addition to the feminist scifi ouevre and lots of twists and turns on the path to defeat the Comstockers.
An intriguing sci-fi thriller with feminist and queer aspects. Despite being fantasy there's lost of relevance to the political climate which I think would make this a good topical read, ideal for a book club. I'm not personally a big fan of time travel stories but can see this having appeal for lots of readers.
I think this book started out strong with a great premise and high stakes. I was invested in the characters and their mission. I feel, however, that the ending and wrap up was too tidy and didn't really feel satisfying or earned.
The Future of Another Timeline tells the story of two women from different timelines as they converge across different realities. But the book’s pacing felt off. The main character felt like she lacked a concrete goal, so she often would travel to different locations seemingly at random. I really wanted to like this book, especially because the world building was so interesting, but it didn’t work for me.
3.5

Our pasts, presents and futures are connected.

In a world where time-traveling Machines have always existed, two timelines are competing for dominance. In 2022, Tess and the Daughters of Harriet have been trying to correct the timeline against a secret society of misogynistic assholes determined to erode women and trans rights. In 1992, Beth and her friends are pulled into the world of riot grrls and murder in an ever escalating path. Slowly the two times begin to intersect and flow.

This was a fascinating feminist time travel story, with a host of queer characters stacked against a powerfully misogynistic minority determined to use their pull and sway to remove women's rights. The incel culture plays a huge role in naming women and determining their place (or utter lack thereof) in the society of the future and the past.

I enjoyed a lot of the differences in history, with Senator Harriet Tubman and many other things, and the various ways the Daughters of Harriet remember the changing timelines and corrections by remembering things that had been.

I remember a time when abortion was legal.

Again, a fascinating look at women's rights—and women's roles in society throughout the centuries.

While I was less than entranced with Beth's story—because honestly I just didn't care for most of her story, although at times I wanted more and other times I wanted less—I was all in for Tess's story.

I loved the idea of a non-violent way of change, of using communal action to pursue change instead of power and force and threats. Of the concept of sacrifice, of changing yourself and the world, one step at a time. At the big picture and the very real people who are affected by decisions made up high for the better good.

If I enjoyed it so much, then why the 3.5 stars?

Because I felt like it could have been developed just a little bit better. The villain wasn't as fleshed out as they could have been—until the end they were a boogeyman. While their actions were horrific and the future they had created was dismal and brutal, I wished that more of Elliott had been developed just so that I could hate him that much more (and I already hated him quite a bit). Also, I wanted more of Aseel and more of the ladies of 1893 and more of the Daughters of Harriet and...decidedly less of Beth.

Yes, her life was horrible but I honestly didn't care for much of her timeline until she finally left for college and began to face what was happening. I just...I dunno. Much of her timeline was frustrating, mainly because she faced very few consequences for her actions, and her intersections with Tess were frustrating and felt forced into the main storyline.

Anywho, this is a different story and definitely one to explore if you want to read a queer feminist time-traveling rallying cry against the dangers of allowing the incels and douche-canoes to have a voice and a platform. And the dangers of white feminism—which was handedly explored and given a proper thumping.

I received this ARC from NetGalley for an honest review
This is a lucky edit.

I entered the world of THE FUTURE OF ANOTHER TIMELINE feeling like I could have been confused or alienated from a teenagerhood so different from mine, but I wasn't. I entered that world, and I feel now like I'll never leave it. It will stick with me, the way that friends stick with each other through their own worst days, for better or worse, for middle class or poorer, for murder or time-travel. Although, sidebar: I really appreciated that nobody follows anybody blindly into anything, and agency over one's own life is in fact the through-line of this book. Losing it, regaining it, fighting tooth-and-nail for it.

There's so much to love about this book. There are impeccably researched vistas taking in the Columbian Exposition in Chicago. There are repeated unironic uses of the word "Saskatchewan." There are time-traveling Spiritualist feminists battling time-traveling misogynist jerks. Trans people exist and––well, no spoilers, but it's a good one. Nonbinary people exist and are freakin' badass. Teenage serial killers exist and are both better and worse than that sounds. Soft pointers for anyone looking to enact a bit of control over their reproductive rights and seek independence from toxic family relationships are woven in throughout. Swears are sworn. White supremacists with bad-guy mustaches are repeatedly pulped. Orgasms are achieved. While time-traveling. And I'm pretty sure one of the characters is secretly Doctor Who, although I'm leaning more towards a genderbent Eccleston than a Tennant. Fake bands become real bands, sort of, since Newitz went out and pretty much made it happen in real life. (Google: "What I Like to See" by Grape Ape, which features ... a bunch of dope-ass modern riot grrrls and folk.)

This book breaks everything. In such a gorgeous, delightful, lovable way.
I liked this a lot. It was interesting political sci-fi. That's hard to pull off without being preachy or boring!

It's also a very good argument for libraries/ARCs. I would never have bought this in a million years because I thought Autonomous had some good ideas but lacked character and coherence, but thought this was much better. I am a huge sucker for multiverse/timeline stuff though! And the character development was much more interesting and nuanced than I was expecting.