The Dark Above

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Jul 2019

I had recently read the first book,The Darkest Time of Night, and although I wasn't crazy about it, I was interested enough to read this sequel. Unfortunately, I did not  particularly care for this one either. The books aren’t bad but something is lacking for me. I kept reading hoping for a good sci-fi tale and for more than I was getting. All of the problems on Earth (violence, flooding, severe storms, fires, terrible illnesses) are being caused by aliens testing new weapons on us humans, their lab rats. Government conspiracies and coverups galore. Sounds exciting but it often dragged on without getting to the point. Interesting ending that could lead to a sequel, just not sure that I’ll be reading it.
William Chance is hiding out following the events in The Darkest Time of Night. He's hiding from fear, memories, and the knowledge of what is coming. But he can't hide from his nightmares. Then he finds a girl who shares his nightmares and begins a cross country race to find the others....only they can stop the coming destruction. His grandmother, her best friend, and a host of other operatives work for a secret organization looking for these same people. They believe they need to be contained to prevent the apocalypse manufactured by an alien species.

Darkest Time of Night had me sitting on the edge of my seat, binge reading. And that same feeling continued with Dark Above. Filled with action and suspense, the book was like X-Files on speed. The Truth is out there....but you probably don't want to know what the truth is. My favorite characters are still Lynn and Roxy.....the feistiest, bravest senior citizens ever!

It isn't often that I like a sequel even more than the first book. I liked The Darkest Time of Night, but found the action and suspense even stronger in this second book. I sipped coffee and read into the early morning hours because I had to know how it ended! Another binge read -- you're killing me, Finley! I'm too old for all-nighters! ha ha I'd better rest up before you publish another book!

Not going to say much about the plot, because....spoilers. The story kept my attention from start to finish. The characters are driven, dedicated and....scared shitless most of the time. Great story!

I will definitely be looking for more from this author! He leaves the door open for a third book in the William Chance & Lynn Roseworth series....but I will be in line for his next book, regardless of what it is.

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St Martin's Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**
The Dark Above by Jeremy Finley is the second  book in the science  fiction thriller William Chance & Lynn Roseworth series. This second book picks up the story fifteen years after the end of the first and continues on so it is definitely a series that is  best read in order from the beginning.

The Darkest Time of Night, the first book of the series, featured Lynn Roseworth who had her grandson, William, camping in her backyard when he went missing. The only witness was his older brother who could only say “The lights took him.” That one sentence awakened something Lynn had buried for forty years as she spent as the wife of a U.S. Senator, a mother and now grandmother. Before she began her family life Lynn had been a secretary in the astronomy department at the University of Illinois working for a professor who was looking into the disappearance of many missing people, people who were thought to have been taken by U.F.O.s.

Now, fifteen years have passed since Lynn did everything she could to find her grandson, William. Since that time when William was found he has gone into hiding moving about whenever it seems someone is getting close to finding him. When it becomes clear this time that the media is onto him yet again William plans to run but suddenly finds himself with a young girl that seems to have the terrifying abilities that have haunted William’s dreams and now they need to stop what could be the end of the world.

The Darkest Time of Night was one of my favorite reads of 2018 so I was quite looking forward to seeing what would happen in The Dark Above. This second book of the series seemed to be even more intense and ran at an even quicker speed than the first with non-stop action from the start. I think for me though one of the biggest selling points of the first was having Lynn as the main character so while this was still excellent I couldn’t help but miss Lynn at the forefront making it not quite as good in my opinion but I still definitely recommend the series as a whole.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
Oh this book was real good! If you enjoyed the x files you will enjoy this. It is the second book in this series and is mainly about William although some of the characters from the first book are in here as well as new characters. You can read this book as a standalone but I would recommend reading the first book before so you get more enjoyment and to know better what is going on. This book is set 15 years on from the first William has been found and is being chased by aliens, govenment and conspiracies bound! A good thriller with plenty of twists. Really good details and storyline.fast paced and nail bitting in parts. So fun to read.
X Files! Stranger Things! These are key words that a marketer would use to sell a book. And...it works!

The Dark Above is the sequel to The Darkest Time of Night. The Dark Above is 15 years after the events of the first story. Book one follows Lynn and her search for her missing grandchild. Book two follows the grandchild as he tries to move on from his life.

It's packed with adventure, cross country trips and a no-sleep, non-stop, back and forth story. I love it.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.
This is an excellent thriller, and it's suspenseful throughout the entire book.  I strongly identified with the main character.  I couldn't put this book down.  I really liked the ending with it's twists.  I don't know what I would've done in the same circumstances.  It makes you wonder exactly what the alien abductions are for and what they accomplish.  I will definitely follow this author, and I can't wait to read more of his books.
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. - Carl Sagan

This book is the sequel to THE DARKEST TIME OF NIGHT, which you really should read before starting this one, one reason being is that's it's an excellent story.

I liked this book. Quite a bit, in fact. But the first book is my favorite. And I think that's because of personal preference, not because there's anything wrong with this book or the way it's written. I especially liked the first book because the protagonist is an older woman, a grandmother. And as a reader I don't come across that often.

This book takes place fifteen years after the happenings in the first. The original protagonist is still in this book but takes a back seat to her grandson, who is the main focus of book two.

There's a lot of action in the book and it was a fun story to read. I would have rated it at 4 1/2 stars if I could. There's new, likeable characters. I was especially glad that the author told his story in the two books and isn't going to try to stretch it into a longer series. There was no need.

I received this book from St. Martin's Press through Edelweiss and Net Galley in the hopes that I would read it and leave an unbiased review.
Chapter One introduces (or re-introduces if you read book 1) Lynn and Roxy.  The 79-year-olds partnered to track down Lynn’s missing grandchild 15 years ago and have remained best friends, sharing secrets nobody wants to acknowledge.

In Chapter Two, we meet William.  At 22, William, the aforementioned grandchild, has tried to move on in his life.  Having good reason to believe he is a danger to his family, William is in hiding.  His part of the story starts when he is discovered.  The press, the government, conspiracy theorists, supporters of his Grandmother and other abductees are all zeroing in on William now.

What follows is a non-stop, no-time-to-sleep adventure/ordeal that involves traveling across country, east, south, west and north while tracking down the centers of massive tragic events including storm, disease and fire.  William seems to be object of everyone’s hunt while he hunts for the answers to prevent global catastrophe.

There is a fair amount of violence, both human-generated and super-human-generated.  Which I wasn’t crazy about, but it was part of the story.  I did appreciate the continual action, ever-present tension and the family tragedy that unfolded throughout the story.  I also admired the extraordinary actions that hero William took try to thwart the aliens, which, by the way, have been here for a while.

And the ending.  I really liked the ending.  Uh, uh.  Read it yourself.  Will there be another in the William Chance and Lynn Roseworth series?  Maybe…..
The second installment of Jeremy Finley's alien invasion series picks up years after the last events in "The Darkest Time of Night".

Just when everyone thought the truth would come out...

After exposing the small town that was full of abductees under the cover of an amnesia rehabilitation compound, Lynn Roseworth feels a return of the same menace exposed in the first book are returning...and once again it involves her grandson William.

A lot of action/adventure drives this novel into overdrive and fans of work by Dean Koontz will like this series that follows a group of individuals whose circumstances are literally out of this world.

Finley takes everything very seriously for his characters so nothing feels forced or above the realm of believing and takes his time to expose what is going on that makes the ending that much more intense.

William has a bigger part to play in this book and the family dynamics come into play as William goes off the grid, but upon his return finds out that the extraterrestrial threat has bigger plans for him than he thought.

A good second book in this series that I hope continues and brings more of the near-invisible menace's origin and story into the mix.
Thank you to St. Martin's Press for early access to this title.
A non-stop thrill ride!  Just when you think it is going to slow down and let you catch your breath, something else happens.  It reads like an action movie.  I really enjoyed it.
I was at a little bit of a disadvantage because I haven't read the first book in this series which takes place fifteen years before this one. Because of that the first hundred pages or so were really confusing as they were definitely written for those who had read the previous book. It took awhile to come to grips with the story, but by about a quarter of the way through I had a good grasp on the characters and their histories. So when the action started to kick off around this point I was completely hooked.

Once it got going, the twists and turns were non-stop and had me turning the pages well into the night. It definitely is reminiscent of the X-Files, with a bit of Stranger Things thrown in to boot. I really enjoyed this adventure and am kicking myself for not having read this series sooner!

Full review to come on my blog on the publication date.
I was a fan of the first book- largely because of William's grandmother Lynn and her friend Roxy, who were just terrific characters doing everything they could to find William.  This sequel is focused on William, now an adult, who is a conduit for the human weapons.  The aliens are still out there, there are four other conduits, Lynn and Roxy are still trying to sort things out, everyone is trying to escape not only the government but also Quincy, an evil Dr No style billionaire= whew!  I didn't enjoy this as much as the first one but it was a good read in part because I was invested in William etc.  Thanks to the publisher for the ARC.  I think this would be fine as a standalone (Finley makes sure you have the basic- which were great reminders for me, btw).  Fans of sci-fi might argue it's not sci-fi  enough but it works well for those of us who only dip n and out of the genre.
I have some rather mixed feelings about this sequel to The Darkest Time Of Night... it is entertaining, but I guess I never felt really as connected to the characters or absorbed into the storyline as I did with the first book. This sequel picks up fifteen years after the events of the first book. And the spryness of the aged cast continues here (in epic proportions in some places). So despite some unbelievable actions, aliens still aren't accepted as actually abducting people in this future setting, making it feel not dissimilar to today.

But, once again, those aliens are abducting people at random and William begins to learn just what it means to be a conduit. The abductees returning to Earth are fewer in number, but bear a striking resemblance to the Four Horsemen. William tests his own strength and overall, this fast-paced novel requires more suspension of disbelief than the first. Unfortunately, there is less character development her, too and some overall rough transitions between scenes that just felt very abrupt. My main issue was more with William - he just never feels like the hero he is intended to be, and Quincy is just a caricature of a stock rich person. And the aliens themselves are still shadowy... the ending hints at more to come in the series, but this may be the end of the road for me, which is a shame, because I did think that the first book was a lot of fun.
This book takes place 15 years after the first novel. I wasn’t sure what to expect and I wasn’t disappointed. I enjoyed this book just as much as the first. Thank you netgalley for the opportunity to read and review.
Wow. Can I just say wow! The Dark above is one of the few sequels I have read in my life that is even better than the original! And thats saying something because The Darkest Time of Night is honestly in my top 10!
I spent all day and night on the edge of my seat, biting my nails to the quick, trying to prepare for yet another twist or turn! I want to tell you guys everything but dont know how to say a word without giving spoilers!
This book (and the one before) are absolute must reads for anyone who loved unsolved mysteries!
I did not read the first book, but I feel that this book would be a satisfying conclusion. How aliens might take over the world could be the subtitle. Thankfully, these characters figured out how to stop  that from happening. As usual, the government was less helpful than one would hope...but one man managed to get the job done with the help of some friends.
This was one of those books that made me a little sad. I was really looking forward to a good sci-fi book, with feels of X-Files, mixed with Stranger Things spooky abilities, but this was not it. Even, as I kept reading and expecting more, it was not enough to make it what I kept hoping it would become. That's not an exaggeration, it dragged on throughout many of the pages and in other parts made no sense.

There was context that pertained to illegal immigrants, stigmas surrounding many of them, and several pages that kept going on like this (nothing to do with the book, or even fitting for what was going on). I fully understand that's a heavy, and important matter, even more so as of lately, but this book was not the place for it, and in no way made any sense when it came to what this book was about or trying to be.

When the novel would finally get back on track to the story, it made the reader continue for pages without really getting to the point. And, yes I also understand that this is good for build up, and suspense in many novels, but it didn't feel right here. It felt like it was being pushed on us to take it in that way, but it only agitated me as a reader because it didn't go anywhere for much of it. Too much guess work, not enough answers.

I did like this book to some extent. There were some paranormal, supernatural, moments with certain characters, some chase that preceded it, but it was all so short lived. One of those chase moments went back and forth way too much. An explanation of how William and his family got to where they were was definitely way too long winded. And, I felt like the reader could have gone without several of the chapters in between, just to get to where it did in the end.

I thought there would be much needed clarity, but it wasn't exactly so. We were brought back to that first issue I had with this novel, and a stereotypical character named Juan (which, again, had no place whatsoever in this book). I still moved along and read through those last chapters, because even after all that I still wanted to find out what this book was getting to. Suffice to say, it left me wishing I had DNF'd more than anything. I really wished it wasn't so.

***I received this copy from St. Martin's Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.***
This book was an “ok” read.  It was not what I had expected, having read the description, I felt this was going to be more similar to X-files but I just didn’t get that vibe.  None the less, it was an interesting read, kept me intrigued and I was glad that I was offered the opportunity to read it.

I hadn’t read the first installment, coming into the sequel in this one was a tad tough, but it wasn’t a show stopper.

Fast paced, decent characters and fairly well rounded storyline.
When I saw the NetGalley description for The Dark Above I was so intrigued I read the first book, The Darkest Time of Night and couldn’t put it down. I was anxious to read the Dark Above and it didn’t disappoint.
William is now 22 and in hiding after discovering he is the conduit for all the human weapons the aliens have created. Slowly realizing the power he holds, and how to best use it, he comes in contact with the other 4 human weapons and an eccentric billionaire who believes in him. Meeting special members of the powerful Corcillium organization that his grandmother works for, he is constantly evading capture by the government SSA group, who want nothing more than to secretly lock himself and the other alien humans up forever. In the meanwhile his grandmothers, Lynn and Roxi are working behind the scenes to bring the government plans to light.
Up until the last few pages I thought there had to be a third book, and the story could not be completed, but the plot is tied up beautifully, and the epilogue has a kicker, which keeps the door open for a welcomed third edition.
I appreciate having had an opportunity to read and review this book. The appeal of this particular book was not evident to me, and if I cannot file a generally positive review I prefer simply to advise the publisher to that effect and file no review at all.