Red Oblivion

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

5 Stars

What a remarkable and heartfelt tale.

Jill Lau and her sister Celeste rush to Hong Kong from where they live in Toronto to be at their gravely ill father's bedside.

This book takes the reader on a journey. Jill must come to terms with her father's past. It has now become clear that he did some very bad things to get out of Guangzhou, China during the Cultural Revolution in order that he may return to Hong Kong. But what? She is driven to find out. Meanwhile sister Celeste thinks little of her father. Perhaps she sees him not through the rose colored glasses of Jill, but rather more honestly? Jill and Celeste clearly love one another, but their relationship is fraught with bickering and fights.

Determined to find out her father's past about which he refuses to speak, she traces his journey. What she finds out is that her father is all too human.

Remarkably well written, Ms. Shimotakahara pours emotion into this novel. The characters, while not always likeable, are at least understood. The father is an enigmatic and secretive man who seems burdened by guilt and shame. This is my second book by this author and I am anxiously awaiting her next novel.

I want to thank NetGalley and Dundurn forwarding to me a copy of this outstanding book for me to read, enjoy and review.
A heart-wrenching tale of hope and resilience. The intimate writing and evocative descriptions touched my heart.