Read and Buried

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Oct 2019

Read and Buried is the sixth entry in the Lighthouse Library Mystery series and I really enjoyed returning to Lucy Richardson's world as she uncovered another mystery yet again.  I really think the setting is part of the appeal for me with this series as a library situated in a lighthouse whose main character lives on the fourth floor of said lighthouse sends shivers down my back as to the possibilities of murder, secrets, and mayhem that can ensue in such a setting.

I really enjoy Lucy as a main character as she is curious without being reckless and if she just happens to discover information that is relevant to whatever murder is currently being solves, well...it just happens to be coincidence if she decides to investigate a little further than she should.  What I do like however, is her healthy respect for the law and how she divulges everything to the police when she does discover something she thinks is useful.  I also like how the police treat her with respect while, at the same time, keep her at a distance while they are investigating.  A few snide remarks from the police chief had me laughing out loud wishing I could picture Lucy's face during those moments having she was put back in her place and her role as librarian and not detective. I also really like the secondary characters and their interactions in such a small town, especially with how they treat 'outsiders' and the small jokes and history they share.  And I really liked Louise Jane in this one, especially her actions towards the end.  Interesting times! I can definitely see her playing a larger role in future books.

The plot was interesting and definitely piqued my curiosity right away.  Gosh, as a kid I lived for books about treasure maps and codes and this one seemed to have both plus a mystery.  Although it was quite easy to figure out how it would all play out in the end, it was definitely entertaining to read as the characters all fell over themselves trying to solve the clues and discover who did the deed.  I have to say, this series continues to entertain and impress me.  The author's writing style has a way of drawing you in and although I had figured out the ending, I did read with bated breath as the characters searched for a missing treasure.  What fun!

Read and Buried is another fun entry into a really great series.  While it can be read as a stand alone, I do recommend you start from the beginning just to get a feel for the characters and the setting.  Some of the animosity might be more apparent if you have read the previous entries as well.  With quirky characters and a lovely setting, I highly recommend this book.  In fact, I want to move there and live in that lighthouse.  What a perfect setting!!
This is a perfect series for me! Lucy works in a library and lives on the 4th floor of a historic lighthouse on the ocean with a gorgeous, protective cat, nearby family, and friends. I can almost feel the warm ocean lapping around my feet, so well is it written! Major, required structural repairs are underway on the Bodie Island Lighthouse, and a mystery is unearthed that has been literally under their feet for nearly 150 years.

The contractors working on the lighthouse find a tin box buried deep at the lighthouse base. It contains an unusual diary of Mrs. Jeremiah Crawbingham that began in 1858. Tucked in the pages are a hand-drawn map and a sheet of letters that look like a coded message. Those who dream big think it is a treasure map and whoever breaks the code and map will be wealthy. Others wonder if it contains secrets from Civil War battles. Most agree there may be historical value, even if not monetary.

Within hours, the library is full of people trying to convince Bertie, Director of the Lighthouse Library, who should be allowed to take and authenticate the journal, including the board of the Historical Society, library board members, and professors of North Carolina history from Blacklock College. Bertie determines that for the time being, since the library belongs to Nag’s Head, it belongs to the town, so she locks up the diary. Members of the Historical Society can return when the library opens the next morning to view it.

Lucy, the assistant librarian, has a dinner date with Connor, the mayor. They return to the library after a heavy thunderstorm rocked the island and find a car parked outside and the door to the library open, the lock smashed. At first it doesn’t look as if anything is disturbed. Lucy panics, looking for Charles, the handsome cat who shares the library and her life. She follows his cry to the closed door of Bertie’s office, and is horrified to see the office has been trashed, and Jeremy, new head of the Historical Society, dead on the floor. The drawer to Bertie’s desk has been broken into, the tin box holding the diary open. The map and the coded paper that were on top when Bertie locked it up are both missing.

I have loved this series from the beginning, each novel better than the preceding. The characters are fresh and exciting; the mysteries are finely plotted and executed and a challenge to solve. The eccentric characters seem to stand out more because it is a small town; most are endearing in their own way. This is a complex mystery, including Jeremy’s murder and the origins and secrets behind the diary, code, and map. Lucy is determined to not get involved in another murder, yet people still try to involve her. There are several good suspects, as Jeremy was not well-liked except by the woman in the Historical Society who he promised a future together. At least until his wife finds out. Then there is Lucy’s nemesis, Louise Jane, who is the first police suspect due to the tire tracks of her van in the mud at the library. If only Charles could talk and tell them whodunit! I could not figure out who or why until only minutes before Lucy did, and oh, are there surprises at the end! I highly recommend this to those who love well-written cozy mysteries, libraries, lighthouses, and cats!

From a thankful heart: I received a digital copy of this from the publisher and NetGalley; a review was not required.
The historical detail brought this one to life.  Eva Gates does a great job of setting the scenes and providing the reader with hours or cozy enjoyment.
The Lighthouse Library series is quickly becoming another one of my favorite series.
The characters are fun and engaging especially the main character Lucy and her cat Charles who live in an apartment above the library.  Charles is the library cat that oversees things and has an ability to size people up.
The rest of the cast is funny, annoying (to Lucy) and help keep things light while Lucy tries to solve the mystery(s).

The Lighthouse Mystery Series is fun and I have enjoyed each one I've read.

I received a complimentary copy.
Love these characters and the story line. Who wouldn’t love to work and live in a lighthouse? This is such a neat place for a library. I would love it if our libraries had a Charles. Some of these characters are a hoot! Others, not so much, but they certainly add to the entertainment of the story. I enjoyed reading this book and hanging out with Lucy, Conner, Bertie, Sam, Louise Jane and the rest of the crew. There is never a dull day at the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did. I received this book from NetGalley, but my opinion is my own.
“Don’t worry. I promise to stay completely out of it this time.” are the last words spoken by Assistant Librarian Lucy in Read and Buried before she gets involved up to her neck in the mystery and murder.

The Bodie Island Lighthouse Library is being renovated to shore up its crumbling foundation. Workmen find an old tin box buried under the lighthouse. In it is an old, but unimportant, fishwife’s diary. Hidden within the diary’s pages is a map and a coded legend to decipher the map. Before anyone can solve the puzzle, a break-in occurs, the map and legend are stolen, and someone is killed in the library.

In Read and Buried, there are two mysteries. Who killed the victim and why? Plus where or to what does the coded map lead? Is there a connection between the library’s book club book, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and the coded map?

I love the Lighthouse Library mysteries. The characters are like friends and family now. I read each book to catch up on their lives. The mysteries in this book were especially challenging. There were many red herrings in plain sight but the real perpetrator can be found with enough investigative skill. Overall, an excellent addition to an excellent series. I’m already looking forward to the next one. 5 stars!

Thanks to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for a copy in exchange for my honest review. Stay tuned for a guest post tomorrow on my blog from Lucy from this series. See what she really things of her job!
For many readers of this series, I am sure that this book is a fun visit to a bunch of old friends. For me, it was the first book in the series that I have read. It was easy to read stand-alone but, by the end of it, I purchased the first book in the series, so I can read through them all in order.

Lucy Richardson is a librarian at the Lighthouse Library in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. The historic lighthouse has developed series issues and is being fixed. During the excavation of the ground around the Lighthouse, a old tin is discovered. What is discovered in the tin sets in motion this whodunnit.

Lucy and her boyfriend, Connor (who just happens to be mayor) come across the body of an annoying member of the historical society. Unfortunately, that body is located in the business office of the Lighthouse and is deemed a murder.

While the police, Lucy, Connor and a cast of most of the individuals in the town, are busy trying to solve the crime, another break-in occurs at the Library. It starts to look like the contents of that tin may be worth a lot more than they appear to be.

I enjoyed the plot, the dialog, the characters and, especially, the cat. The ending of the book, along with the Settler’s Day festival had me rolling in laughter. I am looking forward to reading more in this series.

I was provided a digital advance reader copy of this book by the publisher via Netgalley.
This is the 6th book in this series and poor Lucy is drawn into the thick of things again! This time she is trying to solve a code that has been found on an old civil war diary with a map in it and discover where it leads while people in the library are droping like flies as break ins occur and people are trying to beat each other to the solution. Plenty of action and adventure with a good dose of who dunit thrown in! A fun read really enjoyed it.
Read And Buried is the sixth book in the A Lighthouse Library Mystery series.

Repairs are progressing on the repairs to the lighthouse and even the children have their construction site so they can learn that anyone can work in construction. Repairs come to halt when an old tin box is found by the construction workers who turn it over to Lucy and Bertie. There is a meeting with the local historical society regarding the upcoming Settler’s Day program. When the box is opened all it contains is a diary that someone has recorded weather daily weather reports, an unidentified may and a paper that has most likely been written in some kind of code. Everyone wants to examine the find but puts them off until the next morning. Later that evening Lucy finds that someone has broken into the library and the map and the note have been stolen and the body of Jeremiah a member of the historical society and provided most of the funds for Settlers Day. Fortunately, Lucy had taken pictures of the map and note. Before long the rumors begin that the map is a treasure map.

Lucy with the help of the library staff set out to try and break the code of the note, hoping that it will also help identify the map and who might have written them. Lucy soon finds that there many suspects who might have wanted Jeremiah dead.

I always enjoy visiting the Bodie Island Lighthouse Library and this book was no exception. The story is well-written and moves at a steady pace. There are plenty of twists and turns that kept me guessing till the end. The book also has a cast of interesting and believable characters.

I will be watching for the next book in this enjoyable series.
I had said I was NOT going to read anymore of this series - I was just not happy with the characters and how the stories went etc etc and then the author left the last book in such a way, that I knew I would have to read the new one when it [if it did] came out. Turns out, I am actually glad I did.
I can barely believe it, but I think the author has hit her stride with this series finally and they are actually not painful to read and it was both a very good story AND a very good mystery!! I read another series by her [as Vicki Delaney] and I adore that one. The writing, the characters, everything about them is just fantastic. These, not so much. But this one has made me think she is listening to the fans that have stuck around and is really trying to flesh everything out in such a way that the story is now really good, and this mystery? I seriously never saw that one coming. And the end was just fantastic. There was some great references to history as well. NOW, if we could only get rid of Louise Jane [WHAT a infuriating character], the book would be perfect. ;-)

Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The sixth book in the Lighthouse mysteries finds work on the construction to stabilize the foundation of Lighthouse stopped because a book has been buried near the foundation.  Lucy Richardson retrieves the tin box and brings to the libraries conference room to open it. Rumor has there is a map to the area and there is a panic reaction to know what is the box. It is locked in Bertie's office. The next morning the body of Jeremy Huges is found in the office and it had been ransacked. The box was gone. The turns begin as Lucy tries to understand why was the box BURIED? Who was Jeremy Huges?  Lucy and Conner's romance continues. I especially like the ending.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS AS A FAST MOVING BOOK AND THE SERIES.

Disclosure: Thanks to Kensington Books for a copy through NetGalley. The opinions expressed are my own.
There is something so delightfully Keystone Cops about this book. In spite of one of the main plot threads of the story being about a murder, the whole book is light-hearted and whimsical. I appreciated that Lucy actually tried not to be in the middle of the investigation this time, even though it was a goal we all knew she wasn’t going to achieve. Most of the characters were the same people as I’d already gotten to know and love, but the Louise Jane of this book was a bit of a shocker to me. (That’s all I’m going to say – if you want to know more, you’ll have to read it for yourself.) The truth about their mysterious find was exactly what I’d expected it to be. However, the murder was not at all how I thought it was going to be solved. I had so much silly fun with this book. I can’t wait to come back and do it again.
I received a complimentary advanced copy of this book through NetGalley.
Read and Buried is a super cute cozy mystery! The Bodie Lighthouse Library and the OBX is the setting for the novel which I loved as I visit the OBX multiple times a year!

There is a very unique bunch of characters that hang around the library at all times of the day, which of course makes for a very funny read to see characters barging in near midnight! The library along with the historic society is getting ready to host a Settlers' Day festival. This event brought up a lot of history around the island. It was very fun to hear a little more about Roanoke Island and the Freeman's Colony, even if it was a figment of the authors' imagination.

The reason I rated this book 4 stars instead of 5 is a few quirks of the author's writing. If a character is going to say something, the sentence was broken up into two parts. For example: "Nothing," she said, "would surprise me." It happened frequently throughout the book and made reading the statement a little difficult. The other quirk which wasn't quite as bad was when the characters were in a group and all of them agreed to something being said, each individual character would respond instead of it being stated that they all agreed. Again, the second one wasn't as bad but still something that I didn't prefer.

Overall, this is a fun, humorous cozy mystery. It is definitely a series I would recommend if you are in a reading slump and want to read something that is a bit lighthearted and easy to read.
This is the sixth book in the Lighthouse Library Mystery series by Eva Gates. I discovered the series last year and absolutely love these light cozy mystery novels. There is rarely a dull moment at the Lighthouse Library. A very old book is discovered while the construction crew is digging around the lighthouse. The book is a weather diary and it contains two loose sheets of paper. One has a complicated code and the other is an old map of the Outer Banks with numbers spread over it. The news of this discovery spread quickly and rumours that it contains a treasure map attract a lot of attention. Soon after the book is uncovered, a body is discovered in the library. The map and the code sheets are gone. Lucy will put her detective skills to good use to help solve the murder and hopefully recover the stolen sheets.

This is a fun and light read. I enjoy the challenging plot and all the interferences from the regular characters. It is a pleasure to read these cozy mysteries.
Eve Gates has pulled out all the stops and written another fantastic page turner of a book!

We open with essential building works being done to the lighthouse (more to the point the foundations of the lighthouse!) when the contractor comes in requesting that Bertie (the library manager) comes outside, apparently the workmen have found something in the hole and they need Bertie to see it - she has claustrophobia though and so Lucy dons a hard hat and goes down to see, what they find is a box that has been buried under the foundations, when removed it turns out not to be that heavy and so it is easily transported into Bertie's office, when opened they find a leather bound journal, a crudely drawn map and a letter ..... in code!

Now various people want to get their hands on the map, the code and the journal, but no one expects one of them to end up well and truly dead in Bertie's office! and whilst the journal was still there the map and coded letter had gone, now everyone wants to crack the code (luckily Lucy and Charlene, the rare book and history librarian, had taken photographs), whilst Detective Watson just wants to nab the killer.  Add in some history of displaced people, a potential new mega hotel and golf course and of course the upcoming historical society fun day and it is no wonder that Lucy just wants it all to be over!
An excellent cozy mystery with a well crafted story and an interesting historical background.
It was great to meet again the cast of characters and being introduced to some new. They fleshed out and likeable as usual.
The mystery is full of red herring, twists and turns and it kept me guessing till the end.
I can't wait to read the next instalment.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
As a lover of cozy mysteries, I knew I would be onto a winner with this sixth book in ‘A Lighthouse Library Mystery’ series! Read and Buried ticked all the right boxes before I had even started reading.

The setting – a library in a lighthouse, no less – and an eye-catching front cover – all the makings of a great read for me. The concept of a library in a lighthouse is incredibly alluring and the thought of living and working there even more so. This location is particularly enticing for me as I live on the coast near a lighthouse!

I have only read one of the earlier books in the series – ‘Something Read, Something Dead’ but I didn’t feel as though I had missed out as it wasn’t particularly difficult to catch up with the characters and their roles.

Best-selling author, Eva Gates has drawn a lot of fun characters in this fabulous cozy mystery. Likeable Lucy is a librarian who recently moved to the Outer banks and she had a lot going on in this book. Protagonist Lucy had the necessary attributes of any great sleuth – intelligence, curiosity and keenness.

There was an incredible number of characters in Read and Buried but I think I just about managed to keep track of all of them without being overwhelmed! Apart from Lucy herself, I wasn’t especially fond of any of the others and the victim, Jeremy Hughes, was pretty despicable, too, but it only made a fabulous story even greater. Charlie the library cat was, of course, an ever-present favourite.

There aren’t many settings as perfect as a library located within a lighthouse and Eva Gates made great use of this. Outer Banks, North Carolina is a fine coastal town, with a real sense of community and a general feeling of nostalgia. I could really feel its wild beauty and this, as well as a town full of secrets, made it a brilliant backdrop for a murder investigation.

Another of my favourite aspects of this novel was the fluidity of the writing. The details of the plot were very well executed and every chapter left me with a compelling need to read on.

The author did a brilliant job of balancing a few different story-lines and different events jumbled matters up somewhat, making figuring out the identity of the perpetrator more challenging. There was a sense of increasing danger as the story progressed, which definitely helped to keep my interest.

Reading Read and Buried has cemented my discovery of another  favourite author to add to my ever-growing list.

I very much look forward to returning to the Outer Banks, North Carolina with Lucy on a future occasion and reading the earlier books in the series, too! So entertaining and engaging, Read and Buried is definitely well worth the time invested.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel from the publisher via NetGalley and Great Escapes Book Tours at my own request. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
This is the third book I've read in this series and I"m now completely attached to the characters and the story. I love the island and lighthouse setting, and the small town feel. I especially enjoyed this book, as it contains some history of the South and of this area as part of the plotline. And the mystery was fun and interesting!
Unfortunately, like the rest of the series, there's an abundance of dialogue and very little happening. The prose and characters are good, however, so some might enjoy reading the book.
Read and Buried, the sixth Lighthouse Library Mystery, is just as much fun as the first one! Lucy has settled into her job and life in the Outer Banks; she’s more confident in herself and is enjoying a budding romance with a former summer sweetheart, now the mayor. But her curiosity and concern for her friends make it impossible for her to keep her vow to stay out of things when yet another dead body turns up in the library. Of course, she’s equally interested in solving the puzzle of a mysterious coded document and map, dating to sometime around the Civil War. And so is almost everyone else involved in the library or historical society.

On the whole, the book is well-plotted, and will probably leave you guessing. Many of the suspects are people that series fans will have encountered before, which in some ways makes it harder rather than easier to figure out “whodunnit.” I admit to being surprised by the culprit’s identity, though in retrospect the clues were there all along (if a trifle scant.) I was less surprised with the ultimate solution of the code and map, as I had a strong suspicion what it involved, but it was still fun to see the characters’ obsession with solving it finally satisfied.

If you enjoy cozy mysteries, this series should definitely be on your TBR list. The Outer Banks setting is warm and relaxed (mostly), the characters are interesting without being over-the-top eccentrics (again mostly), and Lucy, the protagonist and first-person narrator, is charming: loyal, reasonably intelligent, good-natured… and constitutionally unable to refrain from trying to solve a puzzle, whether it’s a coded message or a man’s death.

If you’re new to the series, I recommend starting at the beginning, where you’ll get the best introduction to many of the secondary characters. Everyone’s position in the community or relationship to the others is explained, so new readers won’t be entirely at sea… but there are rather a lot of characters to keep track of. I was grateful that I had read at least the first book before reading this one; there were a few unfamiliar characters who were apparently introduced in the intervening books, but I didn’t have to try to “learn” the entire cast at once.

A solid plotline, plenty of suspects and misdirection, an engaging heroine and an almost irresistible setting: Read and Buried has it all. (Even a library cat.)
Thank you NetGalley and Crooked Lane Books for providing me with an advance copy in exchange for an honest review. Read and Buried is the first book that I read in the series. I appreciated the main character, Lucy Richardson. I feel it is important for the main character to be smart and likable, which was the case with this book. Connor is another likable character as Lucy's love interest. However, there were quite a few characters that were unpleasant (or very unpleasant). The members of the historical society kind of got on my nerves, but on the other hand, they made convenient suspects. The worst character has to be Louise Jane. Whenever her name appeared on the pages, all I could think of was ʺOh no, not her again!ʺ. Can she please die in the next book?

As far as the story was concerned (Louise Jane excluded), it was an enjoyable read. The mystery surrounding the murder, as well as the theft of the map and coded page, was interesting and kept me wanting to find out more. I loved the lighthouse setting, it provides a different backdrop for story development. I will keep on reading the series (both previous and future entries), as the main characters are likable and the story was well written.