Cover Image: Read and Buried

Read and Buried

A top notch whodunit and great characters.
I highly recommend this book.
I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book.
I have chosen to read this story fascinated by the setting, a bookcase in a lighthouse, really suggestive, the ideal job.
During the restoration of the lighthouse the workers find a tin box containing a very old notebook with strange contents, some pages seem written in code and seem to refer to a treasure map. The small town goes crazy, everyone wants to see it and try to decipher the code. The next morning, Lucy, the owner, and Connor, the mayor with whom she had an appointment, find the body of Jeremy, the new head of the Historical Society, and the map is gone. Even if Lucy wants to stay away from investigations every day she gets more and more involved and can't help but investigate.
It's a really compelling story that keeps you glued from the first pages, the plot is really well developed, there are many  interesting stories, many suspects and different twists. The characters are many and well developed, some adorable, others bizarre, other cheaters. All together they create a cozy, bizarre town, full of life of secrets and gossip.
Even if it's the sixth book of this series you can read it easily as standalone, I didn't have any difficulties
Highly recommended for those who love cozy mysteries
Title:  Read and Buried

Author: Eva Gate
Series: Lighthouse Library Mystery book 6

Genre: Cozy Mystery

Rating:4 stars

Publisher:  Crooked Land Books

Read and Buried by Eva Gates is the sixth book in the Lighthouse Library Mystery series, and I keep enjoying the series. Who wouldn't love a library in a lighthouse?  I still have to say that my favorite character in the series is Charles the library cat.

This cozy just like the previous ones in the series the book club book pick has aspects of the story that play apart in the mystery that Lucy keeps finding herself trying to solve even though she keeps promising that her mystery-solving days are behind her. We all know there not.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
I stumbled across the Lighthouse Library series by Eva Gates when I was on vacation in the Outer Banks. I've really enjoyed the series, though I think they need some additional fact-checking (in the first one, a name of a major road was consistently wrong). In this book of the series, we get another mystery right off the grounds of the lighthouse and literally from the pages of history. We go on another mystery mission with Lucy and delve a little deeper into Charlene's history. This was a great 6th book to the series and I hope Ms. Gates has one or two more up her sleeve!

Thanks to NetGalley and Crooked Lane books for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
Librarian Lucy Richardson uncovers a battered tin box containing a Civil War-era diary. Tucked inside is a hand-drawn map of the Outer Banks accompanied by a page written in an indecipherable code.
The library is overrun by people clamoring to see the artifact, including Jeremy Hughes. Later the same night, Lucy and Connor McNeil find Jeremy's body inside the library. Clearly Jeremy was not the only one who broke into the library--the map and the coded page are missing.
Solving the code and the murder make up the plot of this Cozy Mystery.
Not a lot of suspense here, but an enjoyable read.
The lighthouse structural foundation work unearths a mysterious box that might just lead to some buried treasure but it defiantly leads to the death of a historical society member. The "map" includes a roughly drawn map of the surrounding area including the Bodie Island Lighthouse (before it was a library), a mysteriously coded message, and a woman's journal logging the weather on a day by day basis. As luck would have it the book for the month for the Book Club is Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth. Everyone becomes treasure crazed and not only is there more than one break in at the library but also the death of the newest member to the historical society, Jeremy Hughes, who liked to be a big man about town and such. History abounds on the Outer Banks, with stories of loss, gain, family, trysts, and women scorned and that is just Jeremy Hughes' personal history. Is Lucy safe staying in the Lighthouse Library's private quarters or should she be more concerned like her mayoral boyfriend or the Chief of Police. The town has treasure fever and at least one hot head who it seems will stop at nothing to solve the map. Another great  Bodie Lighthouse Library book. I really enjoy reading about the Outer Banks and the idea of a Lighthouse Library is amazing. One doesn't need to have read the previous books to know that Lucy and Louise Jane are not the best of friends or that Lucy has a tendency to get involved in the mysteries a bit more than Chief Sam Watson would prefer, although this time she swears she is steering clear and the Chief actually asks for her help. The characters are engaging and who wouldn't want to work with Bertie, Charlene, and Richard? Looking forward to the next installment but would really like to get Josie's pecan squares and lime shortbread cookies.
I am impressed by how strong this series is in book six. I get so excited when a new book is released in The Lighthouse Library series because that means I get to "live" in a lighthouse for a bit. Could you imagine being able to nip down to the library to get a book? Any book you want is practically in your living room. Sigh...

I have never read or watched Journey to the Center of the Earth but Read and Buried has whet my appetite to possibly give it a try. I love it when a book makes me want to try another book I probably never would have thought about. I'm not a huge sci-fi fan but I'm willing to try Journey to the Center of the Earth.

If your looking for intrigue, murder, and history give Read and Buried a spin. You won't be disappointed.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher, Crooked Lane, through NetGalley. Any and all opinions expressed in the above review are entirely my own.
Lucy has it made in the shade.  She lives above a library in a lighthouse on the damn beach.  That's the life!  Well, until a dead body ruins her day.  Construction is occurring in the side wall of the historical lighthouse, some reinforcement and bolstering, if you will, so many more years can be enjoyed in the structure.  Everything comes to a halt; however, when they find an old diary and some codes, they think they go back to the Civil War Era.  There's a lot of jockeying for position and pulling rank, but it is decided that the diary and its bundle will be locked up securely until they come to a decision the next day.  Lucy comes back later that night to find the library door smashed in, debris everywhere and the relics stolen!  If that wasn't enough, there's a dead body inside the library, and it's one of the bossypants who wanted easy access to the relics.
  It was a smooth, quick paced mystery, I really enjoyed learning a big more about that period of time.
Thank you to NetGalley and Crooked Lane Publishers for allowing me to preview the title in exchange for feedback.
This series always keeps me guessing and this installment was very entertaining.

What starts out a a restoration project for the lighthouse, results in a murder that links to a historic discovery that impacts more than one resident and family. Lucy has her hands full in trying to solve the murder and figure out the mystery of the map, while outsmarting Louise Jane. That woman needs to turn the dial down.

Ms. Gates wove present day and history into a good whodunit. I hope the treasure map will spark some adventure in future books. Figuring out past events and clues is a puzzle inside the mystery that adds to great storytelling.
Eva Gates catches the reader's attention with the Lighthouse Library mystery, Read and Buried.  Librarian Lucy falls over the body in the library after she finds a mysterious Civil War era diary and map in the construction site beside the library.  Everyone is getting into the act to figure out the mysterious coded message left with the diary, but someone stole the map and key to the message. Whodunit?  Lots of suspects, glorious historic site and a little romance. Pure cozy.
This is such a good series.  I love this little lighthouse library, and Lucy and her friends are some of my favorite characters in any series I’ve read.  When the Bodie Island library has some structural damage repaired, an old journal is found buried deep.  Does it hold a map to treasure? That’s what someone seems to think, and commits murder for it.  Despite saying she won’t ge involved this time, Lucy can’t seem to help this time.  Great, fun and easy read.  Highly recommendable.
Another excellent addition to the Lighthouse Library Mystery series!                                                  .
First I would like to thank Netgalley and Crooked Lane Books for the opportunity to read and review this book.

This series is pretty well established and I have enjoyed getting to know the characters. I really enjoyed how the author not only brought some of the lesser characters to the forefront, but added history about the area. This was an enjoyable read and I solid series.

“Murder in the library always makes for a busy day.”

This author’s cozy mysteries are always fun reads, whether she’s writing as Vicki Delany or Eva Gates, and Read and Buried may be my favorite yet. I laughed several times throughout at the delightful mental images the author created, and though I thought I had the culprit figured out I was completely off base.

I’ve only read one other book in this series (because I need to figure out a way to pause time so I can catch up on my TBR list) and it was #4, which I also enjoyed. How I missed #5 I have no idea, but be that as it may I was able to read this sixth book (and the fourth one too, for that matter) without feeling lost.

More than once in Read and Buried, Lucy is surrounded by what can only be described as madcap mayhem, thanks to the hilariously quirky cast of supporting characters, including Charlie the resident library cat. Specifically, the scene when they’ve finally cracked the code, and nearly the entire town is racing to the library, thanks to classic small town word-of-mouth. “Conner’s coming down the town hall steps. He’s running for his car.” (observed out the back window of the lead car in the procession haha!) Or when they figure out what the code leads to… It’s like a scene from one of those old Disney live-action movies from the 80s. Hilarious.

"Police officers, library patrons, librarians, the mayor of Nags Head, construction workers, assorted interested persons, and one big cat trotted after Zack."

Lucy is a lovable protagonist/amateur sleuth, and her first-person narrative voice adds a lot to the mood and cadence of the story. So does the setting – a library in an old historic lighthouse, complete with an apartment for Lucy at the top. Readers get a little inside peek at the inner workings of a library, while also enjoying the Outer Banks scenery and the colonial and Civil War era history. I’m most interested in learning more about the Freedman’s Colony mentioned in the book, and to that note I loved this particular subplot in Read and Buried.

Bottom Line: A real-life historic lighthouse is the fictional home of the Lighthouse Library and the perfect setting to the Lighthouse Library Mysteries by Eva Gates. Lucy makes for an engaging and lovable heroine, and readers will enjoy tagging along as she tries to solve the case in Read and Buried. Along the way, a ragtag and hilarious cast of secondary characters entertains and keeps readers chuckling. The well-plotted mystery and nicely paced flow of the story hold your attention from beginning to end and deliver a highly enjoyable read that’s perfect for cozy night or weekend.

(I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book)
This is the 6th book in the Lighthouse Library Mystery series.  Lucy, the librarian, finds an old Civil War-era map and tries to decode the coded document that came with it.

This is an entertaining cozy mystery with strong characters and an interesting setting.  Recommend.

Thanks to Crooked Lane Books and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
A map is discovered  under the light house with what seems like a coded message.  Could  it be a treasure or important papers from the civil war?  The library will hold on to the book and map until it can be looked at more closely.  Lucky who lives in an apartment on top of the library discovers the body of a historical society member inside the library and they need to discover who kill him and recover the coded page that was stolen.

This is book 6 in the series but it you can read as a stand alone and not get lost.  It is a fun cozy mystery and there are twist and turns which make it interesting. I like how they make reference to The Journey to the Center of the earth and how it is similar to the mystery.  A must add to your cozy mystery pile.
The lighthouse library does not dissapoint.  I enjoyed the story but thught the build up to the ending was a bit long, however it doesn't dissapoint for those of us who love s good cozy mystery.
Who wouldn't love a mystery that involves rare books, the sea and a lighthouse! absolutely love this book and the series. The characters are easy to relate to. The storyline moves at the right pace and kept me engaged. Look forward to reading more titles in this delightful series.
Murder And Old Maps.....
A Lighthouse Library mystery. Coincidentally, whilst the book club read the Jules Verne classic 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth', the Library at the Lighthouse is having its foundations dug up for repair. Interest is piqued when an old map is discovered and the digging is halted - but when murder rears its ugly head things begin to get serious. An entertaining and engaging mystery with a colourful cast and backdrop.
My rating: 1 of 5 stars, I didn't like it.

Book 6 in the series.

I loved this series, but honestly, I feel like the Lucy/Louise Jane drama has been overplayed. I've always been of the opinion that Louise Jane needs to fall down a well. She's become a major distraction from the story. There's not one single thing I can find to like about her, she's just flat out nasty. It'd be one thing if she were a minor player, but she's not.

Every time I think Louise Jane has hit the ultimate low, she does something worse in the next book.
It's to the point when LJ shows up I roll my eyes and put the book down for a bit. She makes Lucy look like a doormat, and I think I am done.