Prison Break

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 May 2019

I really wanted to like this book. I really did. I kept trying to read, thinking I would get pulled in. But, it just never picked up enough for me. All the action happens in the first quarter of the book. Then the rest is the emotional fallout of it all. I felt like the author was writing like a disinterested onlooker rather than the voice of the characters. I never felt any emotional connection with the characters. For such a dark and raw subject matter, it felt so completely sanitized. It was as if the author did not want to go into to much detail. Even at the height of the action, the "curse" words were so ridiculously sanitized it was laughable and ruined the tone of the book.
This is a story about a prison break, and how it affected different people.  It starts with Lizzie the warden's daughter.  Her family is out on a picnic, and she has returned to the house located behind the prison walls.  Her boyfriend Dan was to come pick her up, and take her to the picnic.  However, before that happened, the outbreak occurred.  Lizzie tried unsuccessfully to hide.  Two prisoners found her.  The one beat her up, and attempted to rape her, but the inmate who was a trustee protected her by killing the inmate.  She escaped to safety, but had to deal with the trauma.  Dan was kidnapped by 3 inmates, and he later had to deal with his trauma.  The story is well written, and sad in some places.  I couldn't wait to read the outcome.
Prison Break by Joan Foley Baier is a historical fiction story based loosely on the real life prison break that happened in the 1920s. The author has taken the actual event and woven in her own characters and her imaginings of how those characters may have handled the event.

Lizzie Fowler is the teenage daughter of the prison’s warden, she and her family live on the prison grounds. Dan Moriarty is the teen boy that is interested in courting Lizzie and the  two have a date planned the afternoon that the riot breaks out.

At the  time events begin to unfold Lizzie is on the prison grounds alone in her home waiting for Dan to arrive and pick her up putting her right in the middle  of  the  rioting and mayhem. Dan is on his way to  the prison when he begins to hear of trouble and can only think of Lizzie.

Prison Break isn’t a bad story for  those that enjoy  historical fiction based on real life events. The  thing I found with this one though was I just felt it needed more to it then I found. It’s a fairly short, quick read that jumps right into the action that when said and done I felt there wasn’t much more then you get from the  book blurb itself. Personally I would have like more depth to the story and characters to make it more than just “ok”.

I received a copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

Thank you NetGalley!!

Lizzie is the prison warden's daughter.   She lives in their home in the prison walls.     There's a riot that takes place wehre the prisoners burn everything down and break into Lizzie's home.

this is a historical fiction taking place in the 1920s.

Overall, it just fell flat for me.     I didn't like Dan.    Lizzie was extremely  naive sounding.  And the second halfw asn't good. ;/
I really wanted to like this story but I was disappointed by it. It was good in the beginning but half way through I got bored. I liked Lizzie’s but Dan was not very like able.
DNF. I couldn't get into the story. I don't usually enjoy historical fiction and did not realize Prison Break was that genre. Let's be real, all I saw was a pretty cover and the title immediately made me think about the Fox drama, Prison Break. 🤷🏼‍♀️😂 💣⛓

Thank you Netgalley and The Wild Rose Press for the opportunity to read and review Prison Break. Unfortunately it wasn't a book for me.
This book has an interesting premise; I wish I could say I enjoyed it.  However, I found the writing style rather clunky—too much telling, not enough showing—and main character is too naive to be believable.  Even though the book is set in 1929, Lizzie simply seems too naive for a girl who has grown up near a prison.  The idea that she doesn’t even know what intercourse is or whether she’s been raped just didn’t ring true for me.