The Little Bookshop at Herring Cove

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Sep 2019

I  received an advanced digital copy of this book from the author, publisher and Netgalley.com. Thanks to all for the opportunity to read and review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Ms. Hailes' book is a delight to read. Put your phone on silent, get comfy and prepare to check out of reality and get lost in what could possibly be one of the sweetest stories I've ever read. An virtual aspirin for this headache inducing world.

5 out of 5 stars.  Highly recommended.
I really enjoyed a great many things about this book. Characters were fleshed out and the plot was well spaced. Some of the secondary storylines could've used a bit more page space but all in all an enjoyable read!
The Little Bookshop on Herring Cove first grabbed my attention by the beautiful cover.  Unfortunately, the story fell flat for me.

Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to give this book a try.
I'm normally ALL OVER books like this one; just a light hearted romance story/chicklit.

But somehow, I just wasn't really impressed. It feels like a 'dime in a dozen' to me and I couldn't fully connect to the characters, and the writing. Just not in the way I wanted to.

Of course, seeing how much romance books I read, it's bound to happen that you come across similar stories, story elements, etc. This doesn't bother me, if the characters stand out and the writing is unique. Unfortunately, I just can't really say that this was the case with this book.

There was really nothing wrong with the book perse, but I personally just couldn't really connect to it because it was quite a bland set of characters and it overall felt like the book just didn't really stand out compared to other books in the genre and for the fact that I just didn't connect with the writing style.

It's a story I'm sure lots of romance/chicklit readers out there would love, so I'd definitely recommend picking it up if you like the synopsis of this one.
★★★

The start of something wonderful…

So these are the reasons why I didn't make it to the end.

Don't judge a book by its cover

It lacks emotions

Forgettable

The writing style, you can easily put it down and forget that you'd been reading it. You can be easily distracted and in parts it lacks character development. Sophie appears to be in the middle of a pity party and is quite happy to bemoan her situation without taking any responsibility for the part she plays. Alexander doesn't come across as an Alpha man. We all love a good alpha man 🙌🏻 Alexander is brow beaten by his father to following in his footsteps and it appears Alexander follows meekly without putting up much of a fight.

Slow burner

Chapter Six ~ Having made it 26% into the book (I feel like I deserve an award 🥇) and still couldn't tell you much about Sophie or Alexander. And due to that it's difficult to invest more time when there's no connection between (me the reader) and the leading characters

The Promise

The promise of a adorable cozy read is overlook by the lengthiness it takes for anything to pan out. This adds to making this a book you can put down. As I've said I made it 6 chapters deep and wow was it challenging. I kept hoping it would improved but it did.

I'd still give the book 3 STARS as it has potential.

I got exactly what I expected out of this. It was a sweet romance with minimal plot moving it forward.

*Book received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*
Sweet story but parts of it dragged for me. I always love stories about books though. Likeable overall.
The Little Bookshop at Herring Cove is very well written, with the right doses of drama and lots of love. The spaces and places are so well described that at all times I felt very integrated in the environment. I had the feeling of being inside the novel, living the story along with the characters.
I am no longer interested in the content of this book. So, I'm DNF'ing this book for now. I may circle back around to this book one day.
A lovely setting and a warm story but unfortunately our heroine falls at the first hurdle and is smitten with the big bad developer the first time she meets him. he’s described as “babelicious”... I almost dropped the kindle in disgust, but I digress...

Cue a series of events where his company tries to pressurise her into selling her building and she can’t resist his charms despite wanting to...

Whilst the depths of her friendships are clear, the narrative isn’t particularly strong in places. The ending is good and some of the scenes are well drawn out (such as in the pub, with the landlord and the demarcation zone) but others are a little silly / rushed.

Good description of the delights of Herring Cove and its beach are standout moments but sadly this book doesn’t sing as much as it could. I’ve read other books by this author which were more engaging (eg little unicorn shop)...

3* An enjoyable read
This was a sweet story with a refreshing bunch of characters. Enjoyed this read from the first page to the last word.
A lovely story, the two main characters Sophie who owns a bookshop in a picturesque little seaside town and Alex a property developer. Alex is sent by his father who own the fletcher group to try and persuade the villagers to sell their properties. Sophie has ties with her shop after her parents were killed when she was young and she stayed with her aunt in the shop and then took over. No one will make her sell! Her friend Natalie who is next door sells out but supports Sophie, as expected she falls head over heels for Alex and he turns out to be super nice and tries to help her bring her shop out of the darkness and the village thrives on it. Towards the end Alex tried to convince his father rather than building a resort they could actually make money by buying properties to rent out and titivate the shops to make the place more appealing to tourists as it has everything needed just now it’s just run down. I loved this story it ended with all the elements to know how the story ended which didn’t leave me wanting another book which seems to be the case with many now! I thoroughly recommend giving this book a read.
I really enjoyed the writing style and storyline in this book. I’ve read a couple other books by Kellie Hailes and this one lived up to what I hoped it would be.
Kellie’s writing style is so easy to read, it welcomes you in and holds your imagination throughout with interesting characters in a gorgeous setting.
The relationship between Sophie and Alexander was lovely to read, although I’m a bit unsure about believing they could fall in love as quickly as they did. However, once I put those misgivings to one side I thoroughly enjoyed the sparkle developing into a flame between them and seeing their relationship develop as they got to know each other. I found I was really rooting for them to be together, although the twists and turns in their relationship were enjoyable to read too.
Both Sophie and Alexander are lonely souls who are trying their best to succeed, but who are both missing fulfilment and enjoyment in their professional and personal lives, it turns out what they were both missing was each other. Once together both flourish, but time isn’t on their side and after a week together it appears what they have built up in their hearts will be demolished along with most of Herring Cove.
Yes, a big yes for this book! I really enjoy reading all books by Kellie Hailes, it's always so well written. This time we follow Sophie who owns the old family bookshop from her parents who died in a car accident but Sophie has financial problems and struggle to keep it open when a handsome man, Alexander comes and offer her a lot of money to buy it from her in order to transform the village she always lived in into a touristy resort. Sophie refuses the offer but is intrigued by this beautiful man. This book is page turner, i really enjoyed every bit of it! The settings, the characters, the story and the plot! 4 stars out of 5 for this book for me! Can't wait to read the 6th book in the Rabbit Leap series!!!!
I’m a big fan of Kellie Hailes, so when I saw this on offer at NetGalley I jumped at the chance to read another one of her wonderful romances and I wasn’t disappointed.

Set in the beautiful little village of Herring Cove, Sophie is struggling to keep her bookshop going, the bookshop owned by her now-deceased parents which is the reason she is not biting off the hand of handsome property developer Alex. But Alex isn’t exactly trying to force her into it either because there’s something about Sophie that gets to him and also allows him to be who he really wants to be and not just who his parents have brought him up to be.

The romance isn’t exactly slow, it’s almost an instant thing with these two but it’s how they work together to get their happy ever after. Yes, there are a few hiccups and misunderstandings along the way, it wouldn’t be chick-lit otherwise but it’s a nice steady pace and an entertaining story.

The only downside for me was the fact there was no real town spirit. Some of the village was more than happy to allow the big corporation to take over their town and didn’t seem to be willing to fight for their own identity which I much prefer, which is why I guess it was easier for Sophie to give Alex a chance. The romance may have taken longer to develop if everyone was against Alex at the start and he had to try harder to win them over. However, this wasn’t that much of a big deal to stop me enjoying the rest of the story.

A page-turning delightful romance
Y'all, I really wanted to like this. The synopsis read like a You've Got Mail-esque story by an English seaside. I was stoked and super excited to try it out but it really just wasn't for me. Also, this is the 5th in a series, which I was unaware of when I requested the ARC, but fyi, you won't be able to tell. I'm sure characters from previous books show up but it's not in a way that you can't read this and understand all of what's going on.

This whole story was just very lackluster and pretty below average when it came to creativity. Big CEO comes to buy land to make resort, little big shop owner says no, town resists, enemies to lovers trope, happy ending yay! I mean, I knew that's what it was going to be when I went in but...it just wasn't done well. The storyline felt rushed, the romance felt insta-love-y, the conflict was nonexistent, and honestly, the whole thing just read like a first time author trying out different tropes. This did not read like a seasoned author. I mean no disrespect but this was just bad.

To be completely transparent, I skimmed the last 100 pages because I was not invested. I knew how everything was going to go before it did, it ended in a way that was super predictable, and any of the 'conflict' brought up from traumatic pasts was just sorta swept under the rug and not used to their full potential.
A new author for me. One who captures the imagination.
For anyone who wants an easy read with with love , happiness and adventure, this is one for you.
Bright sun and beautiful views capture the imagination.
An author who I would read again. .
This was a fun summer read though not necessarily for me. The characters were developed well enough and the setting was fun. That said, I prefer a little more substance. That said, it was quick and enjoyable enough.
Great plot, characters and setting..  The story line is a cozy romance about sophie , a bookstore owner and Alexander a property developer that comes to Herring cove.  It's nice relaxing story, easy read but keeps you entertained.
Sophie Jones loves her little bookshop at Herring Cove. She’ll never give it up to big property developer, Alexander Fletcher – no matter how handsome he might be… Yet beneath Alex’s sharp suit and persuasive manner, there’s something about him that makes Sophie want to trust him. So when he offers to help make her little shop a success again, she wonders whether this could be the start of something wonderful for both Sophie and Alex – together?

Absolutely loved this book and raced through it in no time. A brilliant set of characters and a plot packed with emotions. HIghly recommended!
*** Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for granting me access to this title.