The Brighton Guest House Girls

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Aug 2019

In this most fantastastic and complelling read I was hooked immediatly with the storyline.  A jouney of friendship that starts in the toughest of times , where will it take you? This story had me up all night till i finished it.  Filled with loss , grief, friendship and how to move on. I cried reading this and loved the characters so much! This was such an amazing book i promise its not one youll forget! Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for my Arc copy in exchange for my honest review!
Thanks to NetGalley for this ARC.  It took me awhile to get into the book, but once I did, it was a good read. Brighton, England in the 1920’s and  3 young women, each with her own set of problems, come together for a common goal of keeping Thea’s house from her evil step-brother. A great story of hardship, friendship, and overcoming adversity.  For anyone who enjoys historical fiction, this is a good book.
I love Lesley Eames writing.  I love her characters and her sense of history and place.
The Brighton Guest House Girls is Eames second book, although not a continuation of the first (Silver Ladies of London).  Eames's new characters, Thea, Anna and Daisy are united through difficult circumstances under the roof of Thea's home, the only thing left to her after her mother's death.  Thea's villainous step-brother is trying steal the Brighton house from under her by bullying and fraud, but the girls are determined to fight back.  In the meantime, they plan to make the most of a bad situation and open Thea's home as a guesthouse.
Eames is very gifted when it comes to character development and it was wonderful seeing the sisterhood that developed between these girls.  Eames is also a master of happy-ever-after-some-heartbreak-and-tumult (as I like to call it).  She keeps things twisty and interesting even though you know everyone is going to be ok in the end.  Eames's books are completely clean, I recommend them for anyone who loves stories of survival and friendship, girls beating the odds, and lovers of historical fiction.  There's always a little bit of mystery, a lot of sweet romance, and fierce friendship.  Keep them coming!!
Thanks to NetGalley for an early copy in return for an honest review
A very good read and one I can highly recommend to others.
I could not put this down.
Thoroughly enjoyable with an amazing cast of characters that you cannot help but engage with.
4☆ A Captivating and Engrossing Storyline

THE BRIGHTON GUEST HOUSE GIRLS is a Warm and Compelling Historical Saga/ Women's Fiction with a Gorgeous Book Cover.

This is a story of three different women who come together due to very different circumstances, but one thing they all have in common is the love for The Brighton Guest House and their determination to save it from greed.

Thea is left her Mother's House in her will, but her greedy and calculating and manipulative Step-brother Stanley shows up demanding the house is his, giving her a few months before he claims it!
But Thea is determined not to let him get his hands on her Mother's home.

Anna finds herself homeless and pregnant after her fiancé disappeared at sea.
But neither her family or his wants anything to do with her.
On a chance meeting, she bumps into Thea and she asks her to stay with her.
She too falls in love with Thea's home and her story and decides to help her.

Daisy is running away from a man who wants her, and she finds herself moving in with Thea and Anna
Between the three of them they put plans in motion to turn Thea's beloved home into.....
THE BRIGHTON GUEST HOUSE.
But in the mean time they need to save the house and stop Stanley's accusations, or they could lose the house forever.

It was so heart warming to see the girls become good friends as they grow, work together, support each other through their trials and tribulations, and set out for a fresh new start and venture.

THE BRIGHTON GUEST HOUSE GIRLS is a wonderful feel good read, with a dash of Mystery, under handed tactics, wit, and warmth. It's a beautiful story of Friendship, Growth, Support, New Beginnings, Family Saga.
The Characters are relatable and strong with engrossing storylines that are seamlessly weaved together.

So if you are looking for a Historical Saga that has a feel good, captivating and Engrossing storyline, then you will love THE BRIGHTON GUEST HOUSE GIRLS by LESLEY EAMES.
I am really hoping that there will be more to come from The Brighton Guest House.

Thank you to Aria Fiction for this copy which I reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
I thought this was a nice historical fiction with well defined characters.  At times it did feel like the story got draggy and slowed down.  But, it did keep my interest and I couldn’t wait to see how the story was going to end.
A intriguing story about 3 women who meet by chance and the unique friendship that develops between them. Each of them is strong in their own way and they compliment each other with their individual strengths.
This is the first book I have read by Lesley Eames and I look forward to reading more from her.
Many thanks to NetGallery, the publisher and author, Lesley Eames, for the opportunity to read and give my honest review of “The Brighton Guest House Girls.”
Thea, Anna and Daisy have very different backgrounds. Thea's stepbrother doesn't want her to inherit their parents' house in Brighton. He gives Thea 3 months to leave. The other consequence is destitution, so her future is looking pretty bleak.

Anna is pregnant and grieving, her explorer fiancé lost in Brazil. Her father is a cruel man and because of him she ends up on the streets of Bermondsey. Her equally cruel relatives reject her.

Daisy is with someone she no longer loves and has to get away from him. She just wants to be independent.

Thea and the other women turn her home into a guest house and have to prove her brother really did commit fraud.

This latest offering from Lesley Eames is detailed, makes you feel for the characters and hope everything gets better for them. It's humbling hearing about their struggles and as with other books, Lesley Eames creates an emotional and atmospheric novel.

Thanks to Lesley Eames and Aria for my ARC in exchange for an honest and voluntary review and my place on the blog tour for this title.

4 stars
What an amazing novel! The character development was incredible, the story line flowed seamlessly and I was captivated the whole time. Highly recommended!
The Brighton Guest House Girls is a charming story. This historical drama drew me right in with its engaging characters, lovely seaside town, and diverse storylines.  I thought the characters were developed.  The three ladies come from different backgrounds, but each is struggling to get ahead.  I like how they bond together.  They end up becoming a family and support each other.  The author has an engaging writing style and the book had lovely flow.  I just wanted to keep reading to see how The Brighton Guest House Girls would end.  The story does have its villains which just encouraged me to root more for our ladies.  I like how the three women worked to overcome adversity and the hurdles put in front of them.  We get to see Daisy, Anna and Thea grow from their challenges.  They become stronger and more prepared to handle what life will throw at them in the future.  The ending is gratifying and uplifting.  The Brighton Guest House Girls is a heartwarming story that will give you the warm fuzzies.
I really enjoyed reading this book. I knew from the start that all will be ok in the end but it was still a great book. A lovely light and enjoyable read
A great book that you won’t want to put down. It tells the story of Thea who is about to lose her beloved home after the deaths of her Mother and her nasty stepfather to her horrible stepbrother. Unable to believe that her Mother would leave her with nothing she starts to look into the will that her stepbrother produces leaving everything to him. Along the way to sorting out her problems Thea befriends Daisy and Anna who also have problems of their own to solve. Together the girls make a strong friendship and help each other get to the bottom of each of their problems. A very enjoyable read.
Another wonderful read from Lesley Eames! I had high expectations - and this latest novel easily surpassed them.

Thea, Anna and Daisy all find themselves alone in the world. When their paths cross, new friendships are struck and, like the Three Musketeers, they are stronger together. With straitened circumstances, each of their lives are changing and together they work to set up a business to provide much needed income. But will this be enough to protect them from all the outside forces which seem to be against them?

These three young women - all complete strangers - all have trials in their lives; fate brings them together in the most unlikely of circumstances. Strong friendships are forged and, as a unit, they face their problems together. With mystery, crime, romance - both welcome and unwanted - this is a complex book which will entertain from beginning to end.

Packed with a cast of beautifully created characters, this is a well structured read and there is always something to keep the readers attention. With twists and turns, it's a gripping read and one which certainly is in keeping with the period it's set in. I loved everything about it and - honestly - could not find fault even if I wanted to! Another superb read from an author who has found her way onto my favourites list with her fabulous novels. Absolutely terrific, heartily recommended and definitely a five star read!

My thanks to publisher Aria for my copy via NetGalley and in particular to Victoria Joss for inviting me to take part in this Blog Tour. All stated opinions are entirely my own.
The author did a brilliant job of capturing the time period in this novel.  The characters and plot were also well written.  This was a great piece of historical fiction!
Lovely story of the friendship forged by 3 women: Thea, left her parents' home but a step-brother is trying to take it away, Anna, a woman loved by a man who loves adventures, and is presumed dead when the ship he is on sinks, and finally Daisy, who loves horses and cares for her father, but falls for a horse racer. They turn Thea's house into a guest house, and rally to prove the latest will is a fraud.
A delightful and beautifully told story that I found gripping from the offset.

Thea's loathsome stepbrother is trying to trick her out of her inheritance of her parents' beautiful house in the seaside town of Brighton by means of a Will which Thea believes to be forged. He gives her three months in which to leave. Afterwards, she will face destitution.

Anna is pregnant and grieving, her explorer fiancé lost at sea. Her violent father drives her from the family home in the back streets of London's Bermondsey and her fiancé's upper-class relatives cruelly reject her.

Daisy is in search of independence, running from a man she doesn't want to marry.

Together the three girls set up Thea's home as a guest house and embark on a mission to outwit her stepbrother by proving his fraud. In a race against time, nothing will turn out to be quite as it seems.

The characters were well portrayed and unique and the plot was brilliantly executed. I felt as though I was there alongside them, living through their angst and turmoil and experiencing the good times and I found myself rooting for all of them. I'd love to have friends like Thea, Anna and Daisy.

Overall, this was a superb saga and I highly recommend The Brighton Guest House Girls.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Aria via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
The story set in Brighton centers around three young women , Thea , Daisy and Anna ,they come from very different families , each one having their own troubles when they happen to meet each other . Anna is pregnant and has left home and is in the midst of grief , Daisy is feeling a bit lost in life and Thea is left with a horrific shock after the death of a loved one . These three women become an unlikely trio , each one helping the other at their time of need and finding strength in numbers . I loved each of the ladies character stories , they were brave during adversity and I kept interested in the plot throughout so reading the book went super fast .
This was a heartwarming story with plenty of bad guys , inspiring women , and a very satisfying ending .  Go read this , it’s terrific . More please !

I received this book in exchange for review from the lovely people over at Netgalley and aria fiction .
I wasn’t crazy about it. I usually like split-perspective books, but I felt this story had one too many voices. Slowed down the action.
An addictive and engrossing saga from a fast rising star in the field, The Brighton Guest House Girls is a fantastic tale of love, friendship and the ties that bind from Lesley Eames’ immensely talented pen.

Life does seem to be giving Thea, Anna and Daisy a kicking lately. The three girls all have their fair share of upheaval and adversity, but it will be their loyalty and love for one another that will see them rise above all the obstacles standing in their way and triumph over all the adversity which they have to face. Thea has fond memories of her parents’ beautiful house in the seaside town of Brighton, however, the place that had once been a refuge and a sanctuary has now been tarnished by a greedy stepbrother determined to see Thea out on the street. Thea is convinced that her stepbrother doesn’t have a legal leg to stand on and that the will he is brandishing is forged. But how can she prove this? With just three months to go before she is thrown out of her home, will Thea manage to prove that her stepbrother is lying and that her claim on her parents’ house is a legitimate one? In a world where women are powerless, will Thea manage to secure what is rightfully hers? Or is she destined to end up with nothing?

Anna is pregnant, frightened and alone. Her explorer fiance is lost at sea and Anna has to cope not just with grieving the man she loves with all of her heart, but also with wondering how she is going to cope with bringing a child up on her own. Her violent father throws her out of the family home in the back streets of Bermondsey and her fiance’s upper class family cruelly reject her. With nobody to turn out and doors continuing to be slammed in her face, the future looks bleak and uncertain for Anna and her child. But does fate have other plans in store for her? And will her friendship with Thea and Daisy see her through this very difficult time?

Daisy’s independence means everything to her and she is adamant that she will never submit to marrying a man she does not love. However, when that proves to be easier said than done, Daisy finds comfort and refuge at Thea’s house in Brighton. As the three girls set up Thea’s family home as a guesthouse, little do they realise that life has got lots of surprises in store for them and that nothing will ever be the same ever again.

Lesley Eames has penned another terrific saga that will keep readers engrossed and entertained from beginning to end. The Brighton Guest House Girls is a fantastic read sure to appeal to fans of Elaine Everest and Rosie Archer. Fast-paced, dramatic, compelling and wonderfully romantic, The Brighton House Guest House Girls will charm and delight readers and have them cheering on Thea, Anna and Daisy to find the happiness and contentment they so greatly deserve.

A first class historical saga that is absolutely perfect for curling up with, Lesley Eames’ The Brighton Guest House Girls is another must-read by this gifted writer.
This novel is the story of a house and the remarkable friendships formed between three young women who made it their home.

Thea is left penniless when her mother dies because her dissolute stepfather has frittered away her mother's fortune, leaving nothing for Thea. He has also issued a very suspect will leaving Thea's parent’s house to his own son, Stanley.

Then her stepfather dies, Stanley appears and claims the house. Thea must fight to retain her home and rightful inheritance. She does so initially by opening the house as a guest house, and in so doing enlists the help of two other girls, Anna Watson and Daisy Flowers.

Anna is pregnant, but the well-to-do father of her unborn child, Piers, a travel writer and explorer, is away on an expedition and cannot be reached. Anna appeals to his parents for help, but true to the mores of the time, the book, set in 1920, they are appalled by the prospect of an unmarried mother and a working-class one to boot. They rebuff her cruelly. Later we learn that the expedition ship Piers has been travelling on is lost at sea and no survivors have been found. Anna's plight is desperate, indeed. Thea takes her in, and Anna helps her to run the guest house.

The third woman to join the guest house is Daisy Flowers. A young girl from the country who rebels against the life and suitor that seems to have been chosen for her.

The story of the house and Thea’s fight to keep it becomes the story of three young women at a time of huge social change who refuse to meekly accept their apparent fate. All three battle to live independent lives on their own terms in an age when women are seen either as helpless adornments or drudges. Their joint aspiration – their certainty that there is a better and more fulfilling way of life -resonates powerfully with a modern reader. So, in that sense, it is an absorbing and even inspirational tale as the three women fight against all the odds to achieve more meaningful lives and to be masters of their own fate.

The author starts out bravely with a great idea and three vivid and diverse characters. Their friendship and the unselfish way the three girls support each other is not merely heartfelt but heart-warming, and in this, she succeeds very well.

Where the book is less successful is the plot. The storyline – hopefully, the scaffolding in any novel – at times becomes a spider's web with the narrative trapped within it. The execution of some excellent ideas is, at times, ponderous and predictable.

The character of the villain, Thea’s stepbrother, Stanley, is especially crudely drawn. He is so relentlessly villainous that without any contrast to the darkness of his character, we lose definition.

Without light and shade, there is no depth. My major criticism is that the author tends to describe not qualify, leaving the reader wanting more texture and detail.

Despite this, her exploration of the major themes of the book – the emerging role of women, snobbery and class prejudice and the warm and perceptive nature of her main character, Thea, who creates in her threatened home a haven for women who are, each in their own way, outsiders, is readable and engrossing. It is a good book, but I was left wanting more.

Charlotte Gower

Breakaway Reviewers received a copy of the book to review.
A great old fashioned tale, three lovely female leads. Full of emotion, a great page turner, a lovely writing style too.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion