Maiden, Mother, and Crone

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Aug 2019

I tried all the available recommend apps for this sort of book, and none worked with this download. So I was unable to read this book to review it. It's sounds amazing, so in time I'll buy it.
A brilliant collection of short stories. Each one unique, yet coming together to form a cohesive set. Highly recommend for anyone who enjoys fantasy short stories, It's nice to see the LGBTQIA community represented so well. Highly recommend.
Some of the short stories were well written and very interesting, while others were a bit poorly executed. What drew me to the fantasy short story collection to begin with was highlighting trans women/trans femmes voices.
This was a great idea for an anthology. As with any anthology there are some stories that are better than others. If you like short story collections you’ll enjoy this one.
I quite enjoyed this anthology, but some of the stories just weren't that amazingly executed. The very first story had a great idea, but didn't execute it well, and tried to fit far to much worldbuilding into a v ery small space. The result was a dry read that does not serve as a good introduction to this anthology. The idea was great, the quality just could've been better. Maybe a narrower focus would've helped.
Unfortunately, I liked the idea of this anthology more than I liked the execution. The quality of the stories varied quite widely; a few were so inventive and immersive that I was hanging on to every word and was disappointed when I reached the end (especially Dreamborn), while I ended up just skimming a few others because I wasn't engaged at all.

I think maybe my main trouble with this was that the theme was very broad and so the stories sometimes felt disjointed. I think narrowing the theme a bit might have helped, either by limiting it to a particular type of fantasy or by focusing in on the maiden/mother/crone triptych and having a third of the stories focus on each of those archetypes.

I was also distracted in several stories by punctuation and homonym errors, although I expect those will be corrected in the final version.
As is typical of anthologies, some stories are weaker than others, and often the strongest are at the end. Overall though, very heartwarming stories of queer experience in fantasy settings.
I was given a free eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The anthology was quite uneven when it came to the stories in it. Some – like Forest's Edge – were absolutely and utterly stunning and made me wish for a full-length novel in that story's world. Some – like Perisher – made me want to skim what I was reading and skip entire paragraphs because I simply did not enjoy them. i shall remain was a peculiar read, something I greatly enjoyed even though it was, at times, odd. Oh, and Dreamborn! It was right there at the top of my faves list with Forest's Edge.

Solid four stars, despite a few weaker stories. An excellent collection of (mostly) good stories, written by trans women/trans feminine people, about trans women/trans feminine people.
Beautifully written and expressive. Each story handles many different problems faced by transgender men and women as well as many gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, asexual, etc., individuals. A must read.
This was a great idea for an anthology, but unfortunately I just had trouble getting into most of the stories. As always there are some stories that are better than others, but with 11 stories packed into a 150 page book I didn't always feel like there was enough page space to fit enough exposition and character development to really make me feel attached to any particular protagonist. I would not call any of the stories bad though, and if you are a big fan of short stories then I think you will definitely like this. The stories are mostly high fantasy, but there are a few realistic fantasy / historical fiction stories thrown in as well so I'm sure at least one will stand out for most readers.
I was really looking forward to reading this book. But sadly I cant read it on my kindle. Have tried to convert it but without any succes.

So sorry!
ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This own-voices short story anthology was well-intentioned but ultimately it tried to do too much.
I think the collection would have benefited from the caveat of having all the submissions being set in one world as the expositional nature of some stories added to my low rating.

One story that I particularly enjoyed was 'Forest's Edge' By Audrey Vest. But, unfortunately, the others lacked the narrative hook needed to keep me engaged.
Maiden, Mother, and Crone is a fantasy anthology comprised entirely of stories written by trans femme authors.

These are all powerful stories with trans women and femmes in the spotlight, giving them the primacy and the happy endings they deserve. The writing quality is high and the stories are wildly creative and original additions to a genre that was traditionally the territory of the white male. I very much prefer seeing strong women and diversity in genre fiction, so this anthology was everything I hoped it would be.

I especially loved Forest's Edge by Audrey Vest, Freeing the Bitch by Ellen Mellor, and Dreamborn by Kylie Ariel Bemis.