The Wrong Earth, Vol. 1

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 May 2019

*I received this book as an eARC from Ahoy comic via NetGalley. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.*

Two different worlds. Two different superheroes: The Dragonfly and Dragonflyman. I love multiverse stories. Alternative possibilities. I could hear Adam West's and Christian Bale's voices in these characters. The two worlds and their characters are so different. I like the changes in vocabulary. There's one world where guns are the answer to everything. In the other, ridiculous over the top things happen. And there's also a lot of sexism, racism, and misogyny. The story calls out hypocrisy and biases. Privileges.

This story is essentially Adam West Batman and Christian Bale Batman, but with enough new character traits to make them unique individuals playing with the established tropes. Deuce is a "Harley Quinn"-like character and she is pretty damn awesome. There's a great last page reveal. I am excited for volume two!

I give this graphic novel a 4.5/5. It's an original concept playing with classic tropes in a well executed way. I love multiverse stories, especially when they provoke ethical thinking. There's a lot of great questions that are brought up. I hope the next volume continues these moral quandaries.
An excellent leap into the world of comics and drama.  The cover catches your eye, the jacket catches your attention and the content leaves you glad you read this book and looking for the next one.
In a reverse reality, two heroes must save their worlds using different skills and tactics as they try and understand what brought them here and how to get home.  A great read fed by excellent graphics and dialog.
I love the juxtaposition of the over-the-top old school comic dialogue and style mixed with the edgier graphic novel style from recent years. It's a great story and exciting to follow as these two versions struggle in the wrong worlds.
A brief synopsis from the publisher for context: "On dark, gritty Earth-Omega, masked vigilante Dragonfly punishes evil maniacs and evades corrupt authorities. On sun-splashed Earth-Alpha, costumed crook-catcher Dragonflyman upholds the letter of the law. Now they're trapped on each other's worlds, where even the good guys don't share their values!"
I kinda really loved this. It was both an homage and a parody of superhero comics from different eras. Earth-Alpha's Dragonflyman, along with his sidekick, villains, and world were very Adam West Batman, and Earth-Omega's Dragonfly et al was more Frank Miller's Dark Knight on steroids. Once each version of the hero and villain arrives in the mirror world of their own, shit gets real in different ways. Dragonfly is frustrated by the cornball antics of the Alpha world, and Dragonflyman is baffled by the corruption of the Omega world. They each find different ways to deal with their situation and adjust, and the worlds start to change and adapt to them. The way each hero deals with the emotional impact of the differences was well done, and stayed true to how I felt each would react- there's a subtlety there, a depth that was very satisfying. The ending was a nice cliffhanger- how will they get back to their correct worlds? Do they both want to go back? Oh shit, who's that guy? I really want the next volume now!

#TheWrongEarthVol1 #NetGalley
Alternative universes, the multi-verse, multi-dimensions, or just reinterpretations by creators to appeal to an evolving audience as time passes— However a superhero gets various interpretations of their look, personalities, and backstory usually takes a while. Yet, Ahoy Comics’ THE WRONG EARTH jumps into the deep end of the pool right away, and it is a hoot of a quick read.

The grim and gritty Dragonfly comes from Earth-Omega and is a hunted vigilante in a world a lot like ours.

On Earth-Alpha, the Dragonflyman and his kid sidekick, Stinger, fight crime with unflappable morals, and both feet cemented firmly in an Adam West-like superhero camp.

They switch worlds and, as they say: Hilarity and excessive superhero action threaten to tear our heroes and their new worlds apart.

If I remember correctly, Tom Peyer has played in the multi-universe craziness before at DC Comics, and it shows. The entire creative team appears to be having fun.

I never once was confused about who, what, or where I was within this story even at the end of this volume where the worlds seemed to blend a bit. Also, the story seems to slow down as if the creators knew they were coming to end and unfinished business was going to have to be dealt with in the next mini-series. (Of which I hope there is one.)

Overall, this volume was a solid introduction to how this multi-verse, its heroes, and a whole lot of commentary on the multi-verse trope of the superhero genre. It left me wondering what the creators have planned for exploiting the trope even further.

The volume’s extras were plentiful with a mix of backup stories and behind the scenes features.
Imagine if Adam West's Batman and Frank Miller's Dark Knight changed places.  That's what happens to Dragonfly Man, who comes from a world where villains only try and harm you through elaborate death traps, and Dragonfly, a vigilante who murders anyone who breaks the law.  It's a nice juxtaposition as each character is set loose in each other's world.  The art is also very good with veteran comic book artist, Jamal Igle, performing capably.
An interesting read, but one that doesn't quite fire on all necessary cylinders.  A magic mirror allows a superhero from a happy-go-lucky, comics-of-old world to swap places with his counterpart from a gritty, comics-with-shadows world.  Their attitudes, defensive creations and nemeses cross over too, so it's a right royal mix-up when the pleasant and liked one ends up in the modern reality, and the gritty, punch-anyone-before-asking-questions one else up in fairyland.  That all reads as a great pitch, and the good thing is you can easily tell which world we're in, but there are negatives.  So many of the crims are just too derivative – a cute bad girl (Harley Quinn), one that asks questions of the authorities, one that is a bit loopy and has lost some hair (a mix of Two-Face and The Joker)…  it just goes on and on.  Also, in making the conclusions to both strands here match up, the book shows it kind of wants to say something, but it isn't exactly saying anything too meaningful, or in as clever a way as it thinks.  Still, this is an interesting concept, and I'm certainly keen to see other arcs.  Three and a half stars due to the blatant DC cribbing.
AHOY comics is a new company and one that I think will make it in this business.  This comic caught my attention from the start and I really liked the characters and the dialog. The story line was different and I really enjoyed it.  The  Artwork is great
I am not familiar with Ahoy Comics, but when I saw just the cover to The Wrong Earth at my comic shop, it made me want to learn more. It’s a dimension-spanning story of super heroics, two sides of the same coin, but one side has some serious anger issues. From writer Tom Peyer and art by Jamal Igle, inker Juan Castro, and colorist Andy Troy, the book focuses on Earth Alpha’s hero Dragonflyman and his polar opposite on Earth-Omega, Dragonfly, and what happens when they trade places.

Earth Alpha is like the super heroics seen in the Adam West Batman era: elaborate deathtraps, cheesy villains, and a cheesier hero and sidekick that seem too wholesome for words. But Dragonfly on Earth Alpha is more gritty, real-world bases and scarred from loss. So when the villain Number 1 uses a magic mirror to jump Earths, the two bug inspired heroes end up trapped on their opposite worlds, which leads to some entertaining moments.

Not only do we see the differences between the heroes, but by the end of the collection, we see some eerie similarities, ones that make you wonder just how heroic is each hero? Peter creates such an entertaining story here, taking archetypes of the heroes we know and love and putting them in “what if” types of situations that fans have thought of for years. What would Batman be like if he never lost Robin to the Joker? He would probably be a lot like Dragonflyman. Not to say these heroes are clones, not at all. I enjoyed the adventures of both heroes and their respective sidekicks, as well as a glimpse into their rogues gallery and how it varies from the different Earths.

The art here is fantastic and full of energy. It feels like a tremendous entry into the world of superheroes for Ahoy, and an entry into the comic book market as well. I enjoyed this collection, and I hope we get to revisit these Earths more soon, especially after the revealing ending! Ahoy Comics has a fan in me, now let’s get to more of Dragonfly/Dragonflyman!

Rating: 9.0 out of 10
What if Adam West Batman and Frank Miller Batman found themselves in each other's worlds? Yes, for legal reasons the names have been changed to Dragonflyman and The Dragonfly, but as with Watchmen, sometimes such a rework can actually improve the story; even the supposedly Dark Knight had a reluctance to just pull a gun and shoot fuckers, which would have ruined one of the funniest scenes here. But equally, where you might expect the more innocent hero to come a cropper in a grim'n'gritty world, his endless supply of wacky gadgets (explosion repellent spray!) and sheer determination turn out to serve him surprisingly well... This probably won't reach much beyond the audience for superhero stories about superhero stories, but then that's a lot bigger than it was. The only disappointment is that not all of the back-up stories from the singles are included; we do get Paul Constant's shorts, glimpses of a whole pastiche publication history for the character, but the pieces by the likes of Shannon Wheeler and Grant Morrison are, alas, absent.

(Netgalley ARC)
AHOY comics is a new company, and The Wrong Earth written by Tom Peyer with art by Jamal Igle is their first series.

The story focuses on Dragonflyman and Stinger, characters from different Earths. One is a hero, the other a villain. When they trade places things go off the rail fast. While the concept of alternate worlds isn't new, Peyer and Igle approach it in a clever way that made me first mildly interested, then invested in the plot. They highlight differences between worlds through characterization and art (mainly coloring).

I felt entertained, but I also found dialogue unnecessarily over the top in places and characterization, especially of the super-villain, lacking subtlety.

That said, I think The Wrong Earth is well worth a read and if AHOY comics continue to offer more similar stories, it will win many fans. I'll check their next publications for sure.
A book as vivid and bold as its description and cover lead you to believe.  A wonderful reading experience for those who love the graphic novel.
I give this a high rating as I found the banter between the heroes and vilains entertaining and refreshing. I love the contradictions between Dragonflyman and Dragonfly. Thank you NetGalley for accepting my request to view this arc.
The Wrong Earth is a great exploration of the duality of superhero media across the Silver and more modern eras. It was refreshing to see a superhero comic unburdened by years of continuity yet still retain a lot of the flavor of familiar beats - especially with regard to the Batman Mythos. As someone who's oft derided the grim-dark era of 1980s comics, it was a delight to see the two sides to comic book heroes explored in more detail. However, I think the first TPB could have gone into a bit more depth, but that may be something we'd get in future arcs.
Another «underground» comic book with super-heroes that just can't bring anything new and don,t achieved the level of those major super-heroes machine that are Marvel and DC. the illustrations don't do it any good, seem unpolished and story/characters/world is just unoriginal. Not worth it!