Cover Image: 100 Days of Sunlight

100 Days of Sunlight

100 Days of Sunlight by Abbie Emmons is a heart-touching, contemporary romance. It’s a story about grief, faith, healing, struggles, and life altogether.

16-year-old Tessa Dickinson loses her eyesight for 100 days in an accident and with that hope for a good normal life too. Her life changes completely overnight. No matter how optimistic you are as a person, something like this just makes you feel angry, frustrated, and helpless.

Tessa was the main character but Weston was my favorite character without a doubt. I am not going to write anything about his character and storyline anymore because I don’t want to spoil anything 🙈

I knew nothing about this book when I first started, didn't even read the blurb but I saw this book on Instagram everywhere and I just felt like reading it for some reason even though I am not into this genre.

And I remember reading this book in just 2 days. It caught me completely off-guard, made me feel soooo many things. I was feeling happy but then I teared up at something. I mean, it's such a wholesome, heartwarming, and heart-wrenching book at the same time that I can't help but recommend it to everyone. A 5 star read for me.

Happy Reading!!
The first thing I have to say is the cover is absolutely stunning! I am in awe of such an eye-catching and bright design. Now the important stuff, on the inside, really tugged at my heartstrings. I really enjoyed these characters and felt their happiness, pain, and frustration. This is something I always look for in a contemporary/romance because I want to feel what the author wants the characters to feel. There were definitely times that I got pulled out of the story because the writing style wasn't the best thing ever (to be expected from a young debut author). I am certain that if readers give this one a chance, they will fall in love too.
5/5 stars. I cannot believe it took me this long to pick up this novel. It was heartbreaking and warming at the same time. I loved it.
Purchased for my ya/middle grade collection.  This book is wonderful and necessary and its own ray of sunlight.
An interesting book with some great ideas, but something about it just didn’t click with me. It felt quite formulaic, by the numbers and didn’t break any new ground. Saying that, I didn’t dislike the book and would read more from the author.
((Also reviewed on Amazon, youtube, goodreads, and twitter)
Great book, I read it all in one day. It held my interest and flowed so well, I couldn't put it down.
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review and was in no way, shape, or form convinced or coerced into writing a positive review. These are my honest thoughts.

I enjoyed reading it and I recommend it to people that want a feel-good story that is perfect to read during summer break.

Notes:
Weston and Tessa are at the center of the story, with chapters divided equally to represent each side. I liked the fact that we could read about Weston's past, but what about Tessa's? I believe her character was way less developed. I would have liked a bit more depth of her story, with flashbacks that would have given some insights of her own past experiences to balance the flow of the dual POVs.
I really wanted to enjoy this book; however, I am sad to say I couldn't finish it. For me, the story was too formulaic and felt forced at times. I believe many others will enjoy this book though because it is cute and the characters are enjoyable. For those reasons, I am rating it 3 stars.

*I got this book for free through Netgalley*
This book gives me so much hope! From the start this book I was absolutely in love with Weston - I'm a huge sucker for optimistic love interests. I will admit that I wasn't the biggest fan of Tessa in the beginning, but I also understood where she was coming from as she had something life changing happen to her. I really enjoyed watching Tessa grow as a person and come to terms with what happened - also still swooning over the relationship that formed between the two of them!!!!

Tessa is a 16-year-old poetry blogger who after a car accident is left without her sight for 100 days, she feels like her entire life has fallen apart and isn't coming to terms with this news well. Her grandparents who notice a change in her post an ad in the local newspaper looking to hire an "assistant" who will type up Tessa's poetry for her. This is where Weston enters, he only has one condition - that no one tell Tessa about his own disability. This leads to Tessa thinking the entire time that Weston can't help her because he doesn't "get" her or know how she feels.

Honestly my heart is just so happy. I found myself laughing, and crying along with this book. I urge you if you haven't, to go and pick up a copy of this one for yourself! It's truly amazing!!
I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
"No one has ever seen the light by being told there are darker places out there"

This wasn't necessarily a bad book, I just don't think it was the right book for me. This book was actually an eARC that I received from Netgalley over a year ago and never managed to finish. I read the first couple of chapters and wasn't really feeling it but I'm trying to get my Netgalley ratio back up so I was determined to finish and review it this time around.

In this novel we follow two teenagers who are both dealing with coming to terms with their respective disabilities. Tessa, a blogger, has recently been in a car accident and is temporarily blind whilst Weston had his legs amputated a few years prior due to an unfortunate accident. Tessa needs someone to dictate her poetry too and Weston volunteers in order to be close to someone who doesn't know he wears prosthetic legs.

We'll start off with what I liked about this book. I liked the fact that we were following the relationship between two disabled characters and that we got to see them accept each wholeheartedly and that they could relate to the others experiences. I also liked how the sections of the book were divided up. Weston is trying to show Tessa that there's more to the world then just being able to see, so the different parts were titled after the other four senses; smell, taste, sound and touch. I just thought it was a cute way of dividing it up. I also quite liked the flashback chapters when we got to read about Weston's accident and how he adapted and also getting to learn more about his family and friends.

I think one of my main problems with this book was the writing. It had so much potential but the dialogue and the simplistic tone just felt really cheesy to me and not in a good way. There were just so many sentence choices where I read it and just went huh? For example, "it's called yestersummer, like yesteryear, but different." I just don't understand what point this sentence is trying to make!? Or the inclusion of metaphors like "it's a joyful, freeing sound, like the first scratch of a quill pen on the Declaration of Independence." It just baffled me. This book is self published so I feel that with some editing and revision it could have been so much better.

Tessa was my least favourite character out of the two. I sympathised with her but I also found her incredibly annoying and just a bit self-centered. I wanted her to grow on me by the end of the book but unfortunately she just didn't. Weston was slightly better but I still didn't really feel much connection to him and he came across a bit forceful at times. Their romance was cute, but there was a severe lack of communication when it came to talking about their feelings. It's pretty obvious that you like each so just talk already!

I think someone else could really like this book but I just didn't click with it the way I wanted too. I didn't particularly like the writing (especially the dialogue, it actually drove me nuts) and the characters just weren't likeable to me. It also didn't feel realistic to me at times, like the author cut a few corners for the plotlines to connect such as scenes involving Weston's recovery. There was so much potential here but just not for me in the end.
This is a very heartfelt YA contemporary romance. Though, it did take me some time to get through the story since it's not something I was able to relate to myself, I still think a lot of people would get something more from it than I did. I would recommend this if you are looking for a contemporary to just make you feel something.
I never thought that I would cry so much after finishing this book 😭 It was so emotional.

This story is about Tessa and Weston. After meeting with an accident, Tessa looses her eyesight. But according to doctors it is temporary and her eyesight will return within 100 days. But Tessa is devastated and goes into a dark corner. Her grandparents tries to help her by hiring someone to write poetry for her blog (Tessa is a poetry blogger).

And then comes Weston, an amputee, who takes this challenge of helping stubborn Tessa to see the beauty of the world even without eyes. But he asked her grandparents to not disclose his disability to Tessa because for once he wanted to feel like a normal person, without being seen as a disabled person, without the sympathy.

Their journey together is something that will warm your heart. Weston tries to make Tessa see the beauty of all the senses- Smell, Taste, Listen and Touch, even without the eyesight. While helping Tessa, Weston realises that he is helping himself in the process.

Both the characters are amazing and you’ll fall in love with them. The disability rep has been done so well. I loved this book with my whole heart.
Tessa is struck blind after a car accident and is having trouble coping, until Weston, an amputee, comes into her life and helps bring her a new perspective.  This is a sweet young adult story with a little romance.

Thank you to the author and NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
Tessa is inconsolable after a car accident that left her with temporary blindness. The doctors think her vision will return in around 100 days. Tessa lives with her grandparents and they are trying really hard to help her. She always loved writing poetry and blogging but hasn’t done either since the accident. Her grandparents place an ad for someone to type Tessa’s poems for her. Tessa is furious and insists they cancel the ad before it runs in the paper. But Weston sees the ad because his dad works at the paper and Weston thinks he might be able to help.

Weston has two prosthetic legs. He can relate to what Tessa is going through, but her situation is most likely temporary. He asks that no one tell her about his legs.
This leads to an interesting dynamic because Tessa is so upset in the beginning and says he could never understand what she’s going through. She Weston actually liked it because at least he knows that she doesn’t pity him.

They get closer as he helps bring her back into the world. He helps her get stronger. But as she gets closer to day 100, he worries about her seeing him for the first time.

I liked Weston especially. But his best friend Rudy really made Weston more three dimensional. He can’t always really be as strong and happy as he tries to be.

I got to read an early ebook edition from NetGalley. Thank you!
I truly liked "100 Days of Sunlight." Nothing like a good contemporary romance to get you out of a reading slump! It was really sweet and it kinda restored hope for humanity in me, you know? lol. I definitely made me tear up a few times.
100 Days of Sunlight is a romance novel that follows Weston, an amputee, and Tessa who has temporarily gone blind. Seizing the opportunity to hang around someone who isn't aware of his disability, Weston offers to help Tessa out during the summer as she waits to gain her sight back. These characters teach each other to find joy in the worst of situations, and the overall message of this book is to not lose hope. (And coming from two characters with major disabilities, you kind of feel like a jerk if you refuse to.)

The thing I enjoyed most about this story is simple; the fluffy, warm feeling it left me with. While it definitely had its flaws, this novel is a comfortable read, full of cheesiness and happiness and no real conflict whatsoever. It made me smile like an idiot, and almost made me cry at multiple points (tears of joy). If you're feeling down or are in need of a quick, fluffy read, then definitely give this one a go.

I also admire how this book was self-published. The cover is gorgeous, the writing was clean with barely any mistakes, and the overall presentation of the book was well put together. I'm a fan of Abbie Emmons and I have nothing but respect for her.

However, there was some things I could not look past with this book, the first thing being Weston. From early on he bugged me. He never took anything Tessa said seriously, often doing things she would specifically ask him not to do(view spoiler). He was pretty sketchy and seemed to have zero concern for anyone other than himself, which is fine because he's a teenager so whatever, but it was never reprimanded. Tessa thought he was perfect, which, to me, made the relationship one big red flag.

The plot also felt kind of non-existent. (view spoiler) There were also scenes so full of dialogue, which is fair since Tessa can't see so dialogue is the main thing working for her chapters, but the dialogue itself was often pointless. Like, they were just going back and forth, having casual conversations that barely progressed the story. I feel like a lot of scenes could have been cut, or reworked to make them more relevant.

Overall, this book was enjoyable, albeit a little boring. However, it was semi-Christian fiction which is rarely ever this good, so the book gets bonus points for that.
4 stars.

100 Days of Sunlight was such a sweet and affectionate story that kept me interested from start to finish. Tessa and Weston's story is truly beautiful and the representation of their illnesses/predicaments are some that need to be shared more in the YA community. This love story was a whirlwind of emotion and character growth. One of my favorite aspects of the story was Tessa's growth and coming to terms with her outcome at the end of the story. There were times though in the story, where the characters would frustrate me by the way they would act immaturely to one another. But the overall plot and story absolutely won me over. Check this one out if you love romance with hard hitting topics, and illness representation! Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for my ARC.
First, I absolutely love this cover.

100 Days of Sunlight is the story of Tessa, a homeschooled girl who temporarily loses her eyesight in an accident. Her grandparents decide to advertise for a transcriptionist so that she can continue to write poetry. Enter Winston, a double amputee. A touching love story, 100 Days of Sunlight has a dual POV, and features strong family relationships and a lot of heart and humor too.  I'd have loved Tessa's character to feel a little more developed than it was, but all in all this was a sweet and touching story about adversity and love.
This was such a cute and light ya romance! It was well written with engaging characters and I highly recommend it!
100 Days of Sunlight was a cute, sweet, fun story. I really did enjoy it. I'm rating it 3 stars, though, for a couple reasons.

One is that the characters didn't seem fully fleshed out. Though I don't think that was the intent whatsoever, of course, it's still what ended up happening. Tessa and Weston felt too much like "a girl who's blind" and "a guy with no legs" and not enough like "Tessa and Weston", if that makes sense. We found out bits and pieces about them here and there throughout the story, but none of it really seemed like it mattered beyond a passing mention.

Two is that I didn't like that Tessa didn't seem to have much autonomy. She was just tragically blinded in an incredibly traumatic accident. That's a sort of trauma I can guarantee Tessa's grandparents and Weston have never experienced. Even Weston, who lost his legs a few years ago, has never experienced that sort of trauma. So what I dislike is that even though Weston is clearly aware that his disability and Tessa's disability are incredibly different, he acts as though their response to their disabilities should be the same. He thinks that because he was able to push himself to his limit to overcome his disability in a fairly short amount of time, considering, so should Tessa.

This is unfair to Tessa, because, again, she was just tragically blinded in an incredibly traumatic accident. I think she's entirely entitled to feeling the way she was feeling. Whether or not her sight was ever going to return, it was unfair to treat her as though she wasn't entitled to her feelings because "at least you won't be blind forever!" Her grandparents are guilty of treating her this way too, honestly, but Weston is the main one I take issue with.

I'm not saying that this book was reprehensible or anything because of what I just said, absolutely not! I did enjoy 100 Days of Sunlight, and would read more work by Abbie Emmons. Tessa and Weston were very sweet, and the plot did hold me until the end. I would just love to have seen a bit more character development overall.