Cover Image: 100 Days of Sunlight

100 Days of Sunlight

This is one of the best books i have ever read. Its about failure and attitude and how you can always choose to do with what's given to you. Yeah i know it probably sounds like a load of inspirational bullshit but this book is so much more. Abbie Emmons has created a phenomenal story of love and friendship and inner strength. Which everyone NEEDS to read. (oh my gosh i love Weston sooooo freaking much)
I dont wanna give anything up, neither do I wanna create excess hype. But please oh please read this one. Pick it up. Give it a try. You will love it.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely adored this book. Tessa and Weston are such fantastic characters, I loved their journey. Abbie did a great job of writing from both characters’ perspectives. This is one of my new favourite love stories, and it is a book I could read over and over again.
An extraordinary story which I really enjoyed. Well written with strong lead characters, I particularly liked the character Weston. I really enjoyed how the relationship between Weston and Tessa developed  throughout the book. A story of family, friendship, loss, hope and perseverance.

I don't usually read YA novels and was really surprised to enjoy this as much as I did. Highly recommended.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was a quick, cute read that will most likely be forgotten by me in another month. Just a few days after finishing and I struggled to remember the title in order to add it on Goodreads! There wasn't anything bad, it was an entirely decent read, but nothing about it will stick with me in the long run. And the abrupt ending I could have done without.
I read the synopsis of this book and I just.. couldn't. I needed it immediately. You all know I love diverse rep in books and 100 Days of Sunlight features rep I've barely seen. But.. instead of talking about it in my intro, let's just dive into the actual review, right?!

So. The representation. Our female main character, Tessa, was in a car crash and is temporarily blind. Safe to say she's having a hard time adapting and is struggling a lot. Her grandparents are Christians. The male main character, Weston, is an amputee. There's also mention of reading braille.
All those things combined already sound pretty awesome, right? And that's even before diving into the story itself! Seriously, the rep alone should be plenty of reason to get your hands on a copy stat.

The story itself is more than worth it as well. Weston finds his own small ways of making Tessa realize that losing her sight doesn't mean she's lost everything. The book is divided into parts, into senses. Smell, sound, touch, taste. Using those things, he helps her get out of the pit of depression and while doing so their relationship grows into a friendship. Although it does change a bit from one point to the next, it doesn't feel all that random. I loved seeing how a stranger could influence Tessa's "sight" - excuse the pun - on things.

But Tessa's view isn't the only one we get. There are two POV's in total - Weston's as well. Where Tessa only tells the "now" of her story, Weston's jumps back and forth between his past and the present. Between the period of losing his legs and the present where he helps Tessa realize life isn't all about seeing things.
The past parts, where he shares how he felt right after losing his legs, is.. hard to get through but at the same time amazing. There's a mental strength in Weston's character that came across beautifully in Emmons' writing. On top of that, it shows why it's so important for him to help Tessa, even when she's acting like a.. well.. brat? And, to top it off, Weston's refusal to tell Tessa about his legs is a great reminder not to treat people differently because of the way they look. He's still a normal person and 100 Days of Sunlight shows how someone can miss being treated as such when there's something different about them.

Then there's all the different kinds of relationships! The relationship Weston has with his parents, with his brothers, his friendship with Rudy, Tessa's friendship with her blogging friends, with her grandparents. There are so. many. different. relationships. I don't think I ever really saw something like that in other books? Or not that pronounced, at least? This automatically adds a lot when it comes to depth of character as well!

Emmons' writing is a bit different than what I'm used to in comtemporary, but it definitely worked in this story. Shorter sentences, mostly written like the characters - or like we - would think things at times. An example of that is repeating certain words or sentences like a mantra or to convince themselves of something. It worked - and I'm glad it did because it added to the atmosphere of the story.
Another element is the addition of poems since Tessa writes poetry and blogs about it as well. There aren't that many but the fact that it's incorporated? Loved it.

There isn't really anything bad about this novel. More like.. something I personally would have loved to see differently? And that's the ending. I just needed a bit more.. information on what happened after the 100 days ended. Like, say, a couple months later or something? I'm just curious. Probably because I started caring about Weston way too much for my own good. Oopsies.

Guess I don't need to say any more, right? If you look at the rep in this book and the way I loved it.. You just need to give this book a chance! And if you need one more reason: Abbie published this entirely on her own. No publisher involved. SUPPORT HER!
This book was so sweet and thought provoking. I loved both of the characters and enjoyed both points of view. I loved the romance but I also appreciate the lesson about appreciating the life you are given and believing in yourself.
THIS BOOK BROKE ME. In the best way possible. I loved the characters and what a quick read this was. It was poetic and smart and witty as well. It provided a lot of emotion for someone (like me) who is an older reader even though this is geared towards YA.
Beautiful easy read for the summer. 16 year old Tessa loses her eyesight in car accident. After being told her eyesight would return she still needed a to adjust to life without sight for a while. Watson comes into her life and brightens the darkness she is suffering and eases her pain. The plot was flowing and the characters of Watson was perfectly rounded, unfortunately for me, I found it hard to warm to Tessa.
Review copy courtesy of Edelweiss.

Readalike of “Everything, Everything,” this book takes a disability, makes it part of a teenaged drama, and then adds some romance.
100 Days of Sunlight was a captivating read. I absolutely loved both of the main characters, Weston and Tessa. Weston had a light about him that made his optimism and resiliency shine through. He was determined to help Tessa through her struggle of losing her sight and feeling like she lost herself in the process. Little does Tessa know Weston has a well kept secret and discovering it just might change everything she is feeling about him.
Wow just wow this book was perfect. I never knew I needed another book boyfriend untill I met Weston. I laughed I cried this book had me in tears its is such a great story. The disibility rep is spot on.the chracture development is great.i liked the book goes from Tessas point of view to Westons. My heart broke when I was reading how Weston acquires his disibility. I commented to Tessa as I blog and I love poems. I  ever shipped a couple so hard like I did with Tessa and Weston. The only issue I had with this book is that it ended. I think this book could be the book of 2019. Please someone make this into a film. I am looking forward to more books from the Author. Abbie is now a fave author.
I really tried to like this book. And I failed.

I could compare my feelings towards this book to that of what I felt after The Stars in My Fault. Two young teens, both with their own diseases (disabilities in this case), finding solace in each other. And here also, I struggled to connect or relate to either of the two.

Okay. Here's the first thing that I was not impressed by - Weston suddenly out of nowhere deciding that he would be a friend to Tessa. We see him right off the bat decide to make Tessa see the beautiful things in life, even in her temporary blindness. Okay. But why? They didn't know each other beforehand, and Tessa was horrible to him from the start. I get the idea that it's supposed to be because Tessa is the first person who can't look at him pity for his condition, because she's blind, and he likes that. But the writer does not expand on these feelings, except maybe a line or two.

Second thing that I didn't like was how quickly Tessa and Weston grew an attachment. I get that they're forced by their proximity and in Tessa's case, isolation from the rest of the world. But I still would've liked them to take some more time to build their connection towards each other. But this is not any major issue.

My major issue was not being able to connect Weston and Tessa. Weston came off as a little too self-righteous and self-assured on his decisions when it came to Tessa. That was a turn-off. Tessa, on the other hand, was just unlikable. I get that she has a lot of problems but her character development felt lacking to me. I just couldn't bring myself to sympathize with her.

I commend the author for touching upon many difficult and serious themes in this book, particularly that of mental health, family, etc. but I think that the quality of the writing needed to be better for these themes to have more of an impact on me. There were some genuinely cute and funny moments. It brings me back to my first point. I wanted to like the book, because it had an important message. But the writing made that difficult.

I definitely think that this book would appeal more to younger newer readers. But I've read too many YAs in my days to have found anything novel or unpredictable about this book.
This book was so beautiful. It was a story of hope, of love, of living even through darkness.

I cried. A few times. I absolutely loved the characters in this story and I fell in love with their personalities. They were fun and relatable and so, so brave.

There is so much to learn from this book, things that make you reevaluate your entire life.

And the writing style- oh my gosh. So poetic. It reminded me a lot of my own writing style and it has inspired me to work even harder on my own book. I loved it. A lot.

I highly recommend picking up this book, it truly was incredible.
I LOVED this novel! A beautiful debut featuring interesting/well developed characters, great descriptive language, and an excellent portrayal of disabilities/situations not frequently featured in novels!
This novel was a good summer read for me -- a book that won't stress me out or break my heart /too/ much, keeps my interest, but all in all, a book that I won't become too invested in.

I really like the main male character, but the female main seemed kind of lacking to me. More often then not, I was just silently complaining about her to myself and wishing she would just be quiet.

Basically, if you are looking for a book that is quick and a pretty good time, I would recommend this one.
100 Days of Sunlight, by Abbie Emmons, is an ultimately uplifting and charming debut. Tessa, a teenage blogger, loses her sight, and her sense of self, in an accident. Weston, a bold and somewhat thrill-seeking local teenager, faced a life-changing incident of his own 3 years prior. He knows what it is like to not be the same person you were and to have limitations. Never one to back down from a challenge he takes on the task of showing Tessa how to see the sunlight from your heart. Tessa, stubborn, resists but finds herself softening to his charismatic, persistent approach.  But Wes is hiding something from Tessa...something he doesn't want her to see if her sight returns. Tessa, falling fast for Wes, is determined to regain her sight.  What will happen if she learns the truth?

Readers will fall for Tessa and Weston, in this fast-paced YA read. Somewhat innocent, it is a story of hope and redemption as well as loss and acceptance.  Pick it up today-your heart will smile after you finish 100 Days of Sunlight.

Thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and the author for this ARC in exchange for honest feedback.
Really this is a 2.5 star book for me, but I rounded up to 3 for this. I found 100 Days of Sunlight to be a fine read. It was easy YA fiction but I found myself unable to connect with the characters. Weston was caught in what I felt was a weird macho guy/sensitive guy character. His relationship with Rudy was at times thoughtful and other times incredibly shallow - I couldn’t get behind the constant fighting just to fight. I found Tessa to be a bit underdeveloped - the background with her mom and grandparents was so slim and hardly explained - and when we meet her she is so depressed yet she seemingly turns around pretty quickly with Weston’s encouragement? I found the trajectory of their relationship and Tessa’s blindness to be fairly predictable and superficial. Overall, I don’t regret reading this but I don’t think I would recommend it to others as a must read.
I LOVED 100 Days of Sunlight by Abbie Emmons so much! Seriously cute with an incredibly comfortable writing style that is both age appropriate for the characters without being annoyingly cheesy or over the top. Despite being a clear YA read, I enjoyed this very much as an adult. It's an emotionally gripping read that is written with a distinct aim a the YA reading culture without feeling too young for me. (Thank goodness!)

There was something reminiscent of The Fault in Our Stars in this one, I think primarily due to the developing relationship between Weston and Tessa. Weston is the boy every teenage girl wants to know and Tessa is appropriately flawed in a way I could understand. The characters didn't feel overly imagined...they felt real. I enjoyed the use of the two person plot structure and the flashback style utilized for Weston's experiences. It felt like a good "window to the soul" approach and it allowed for a good reader's eye view into Weston and Tessa's individual journeys dealing with their handicaps.

The story moved at a comfortable pace and the dual narration style was made for this book. It just worked so well. This was one of those stories I didn't want to put down and picked up at every chance I got. Had I not grabbed it at such a chaotic moment in my own schedule, it would've likely been an all-nighter. Darn real life getting in the way of my living vicariously through books!

This was just hands down a great read. The premise was intriguing, but I didn't know I would end up enjoying 100 Days of Sunlight so much. I loved just about everything about this and look forward to more from Abbie Emmons in the future.
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I seriously devoured this book in a few days. If I had the time I would have been able to finish this in one sitting. I couldn’t put it down. Also, that cover is so pretty! I cannot wait to get the book and paint the edges bright colors! It’s always nice to get a break and read some good contemporary books. This book had the perfect amount of cuteness but was also very touching because of the issues it dealt with.  This was a great story and one that will stay with me for a while.

We follow 16-year-old Tessa. She has a blog that she writes poetry on and connects with other bloggers. Tessa is in a car accident that causes her to lose her sight. The doctors say it’s temporary and should last up to 100 days. Even though it’s only temporary Tessa is not handling it very well. But honestly, who would. To wake up without sight after being in a car accident would be super traumatizing. She is struggling with trying to be happy amid this event, but her grandparents really want to help her get back to some kind of normalcy. Her grandfather decides to put an ad in the paper for someone to help her get back to her blog. Tessa is not very happy with it because she feels like she has no reason to write until she gets her sight back.

Weston, our other MC, ends up answering to Tessa’s grandfather's ad and wants to help. He feels that not only can he help with her blog and do the work needed, but that he can help her with what she is dealing with. Weston is no ordinary boy. He is legless from the knees down. So he has an idea of what Tessa is going through. He just doesn’t want her grandparents to mention the no leg situation with her, which they gladly adhere to. Of course, Tessa wants nothing to do with Weston. She feels like he is rude, and way too optimistic, and has no idea what she is going through. You would think this would make Weston quit, but he actually loves being treated like a regular person.

Watching their friendship/relationship grow over all the days of Tessa being blind was so sweet. It was the perfect pace! I really loved both these characters from the beginning. Even though Tessa was down and out she grew so much while being blind and was super likable. I liked Weston from page one and loved his love for his family and his strength in trying times and his positive outlook on life.

I definitely recommend this book! It was a great read, with great characters and an awesome story. As many books as I have read about mental illness and the struggles of it, this may be the first book I've read that dealt with physical disabilities and those struggles. I know you will love this book, so hurry and go read it, and then comment so we can chat about it!
This book was stunning. So so stunning. It truly took my breath away, made me laugh, made me cry and all of the above at the same time. Fans of The Fault in Our Stars will enjoy this one. I read this in a single sitting.