Andrew

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Jul 2019

While this book didn't tickle my funny bone like Beckstrand's Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill series, I still enjoyed it. Andrew and Mary's journey was a treat to read, and I enjoyed the growth each character experienced. I know the antics of Andrew's younger twin brothers are supposed to be funny, and I did chuckle a few times, but I have to admit I cringed just as often as I laughed. The mom in me struggled to find their antics and sneaking around funny - I feel like this might be the kind of humor grandparents enjoy more than moms. I did appreciate their mom sort of getting the last laugh! I also really enjoyed Bitsy's reappearance in this series! I loved her in the Honeybee Sisters books and always wanted to know more of her story!
Reading a new book from Jennifer Beckstrand is always an absolute delight. Getting to spend more time with Bitsy Weaver (from her Honeybee Sister series) is pure joy.

In addition, we are treated to two precocious boys Alfie and Benji, 8 year old twins with a penchant for matchmaking their older brother (so he’ll move out and they can have their own room instead of having to sleep in the scary cellar). Every time they were on the page, my face sported a huge grin. And sometimes their little boy earnest hearts made me tear up, too. (The scene with Dawdi & borrowing the binoculars. Oh be still my heart!)

Andrew and Mary are an unlikely pair at first glance. He, a straitlaced “good” Amish young man (who really wants to make furniture instead of peanut butter). She, an unwed pregnant young woman who left the Amish for the evils of the Englisch world and is now back to face the judgmental attitudes of the community with grace and bravery. And yet, their chemistry was palpable from the very first moment they shared the page. Their banter is grin-inducing and their inner thoughts toward the other person will leave you swooning.

Bottom Line: Prepare to laugh, swoon, cry and even be a little convicted by the time the story is over. Andrew – the book and the eponymous hero – is layered and fun and deliciously romantic. The message of Jesus’ mercy is tender and so important, and the truth of His grace is evident throughout. The young twins are the stars of this show, and I can’t wait to see what delightful mischief they get up to next!

(I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book.)
What I think you should know:
Andrew is the first book in the Petersheim Brothers Series. It involves a family of five sons in which the oldest three are old enough to be married and their youngest twin brothers are determined to get them out of the house. This makes for a very interesting book.

What you might want to know:
This book mentions premarital sex, a baby outside of wedlock and abortion. It does not go into details about the premarital sex or abortion and does not condone either of them. It does show a pregnancy outside of wedlock along with the consequences that it has for the girl within her community.

What touched me about the book:
If you are looking for a light and fluffy Christian romance, this isn’t it, while Andrew is a good book that I enjoyed it also tackles some hard truths for Christians. These themes include judgment ( from others not God) and forgiveness. Jennifer Beckstrand has written a book that hit me hard showing how judgmental many Christians can be when it includes a sin that is different from their sin.

Who will love this book( Just to name a few):
Fans of Christian Fiction
Fans of Amish Fictions
Fans looking for a new series to fall in love with.

I received a complimentary copy for this book from Celebrate Lit, this in no way influenced my review. All opinions are my own.
I adore Beckstrand’s Huckleberry Hill series, and this new series has promise as well. Centered around the beekeepers and Andrew, this faith-centered but non-preachy read kept my interest, and it was fun to see things from a perspective other than the main Huckleberry Hill characters.  Brava, Ms Beckstrand, for adding to my choices of charming, well written romances with substantial characters and a smooth plot!
Oh my goodness. I absolutely loved this book! I laughed (a lot), I was sad.....I had all the emotions. My only suggestion to readers: read The Honeybee Sisters series first. It will provide some context. Not entirely necessary, but it helped me. I'm excited to read the next book in this series.

I received an ARC from NetGalley and Kensington Books in exchange for an honest review.
When Mary return to her Amish community unmarried and pregnant, her mother shuts the door in her face. She turns to the only friendly face she thinks might welcome her and shelter her for the night. I enjoyed the eight-year-old twins antics  to get Andrew their brother to meet Mary. Why? Well, because she is their perfect pick for his wife. Bee's, trees, peanut butter and rescues. Always a wonderfully entertaining story with author Jennifer Beckstrand!
I was gifted a copy, no review was required. My review is voluntary.
I am a huge fan of Amish fiction .  I love this story, the plot is great, the characters of Andrew and Mary are well developed but give me more of the sweet twins.  I have twin boys of my own now 27 years old. I love the sweetness if the story and laughed at the twins along the way.  Andrew is a book worth reading.  Thank you netgalley for the gift of the arc, the review is my  personal opinion.
Mary has come back to her home with child and is turned away at the door.  She goes to the only person she is sure will let her stay.  Bitsy Weaver will take her in and make sure she and her child are ok.  Andrew is from a family with nothing but boys and a mom who know their every move.  Their grandmother and grandfather are staying with them because their grandfather has had a stroke.  The youngest of the boy Alfie and Benji are trying to find a way to get out of the basement now known as their bedroom.  The solution they find is to marry one of the older brothers off.  After meeting Mary they decide she is a great pick for a wife for Andrew.  Because they are Amish they are not really suppose to associate with Mary.  After she left and came back obviously with child.  Andrew keeps his distance but cant help but be nice to her.  He is a talented carpenter but his mom wants his to work in the family business of peanut butter.   Alfie and Benji work their hearts out to make all this happen.  They set a wonderful example of how people should be treated.  Forgiveness and understanding.
Andrew is the oldest of five children in the Petersheim's family.  Their family's business in Wisconsin Amish community has earned them the nickname The Peanut Butter Brothers.  But could the younger two brothers' matchmaking soon earn the older brothers new titles of ... husband.

After two years of "jumping the fence", Mary Coblenz has returned from the Englisch world unmarried and pregnant.  Instead of hiding like the community expects, she's staying at the Honeybee Farm.  She's even caught the eyes of eight-year-old twin brothers of Andrew's.

Can Mary -and the unknown help of Petersheim's twins- get Andrew to see Mary's courage and grace while she's changing his notions about forgiveness and love?
Is Mary willing to start over with Andrew?

Jennifer Beckstrand had every emotion come to life off the pages through her characters.  I was laughing at the twins and Aunt Bitsy at the Honeybee Farm.  I could feel Andrew's anger at his younger twin brothers because of their mischief.  The not-so-kind words that deep down hurt Mary but yet she was still kind to her community members.

I loved the book "Andrew".  I can't wait to read if Aunt Bitsy make anymore appearances or not.  I really can't wait to read what the twins have up their sleeves for Abraham and Austin in the future books to the series.

I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review in my own words.
I laughed my way through this book.  How can you not love twin eight-year-old boys who have a strong streak of Tom Sawyer in them; dislike baths; are loyal to their older brothers; will not lie to get out of trouble ( they may just not voluntarily tell everything they know);  and love their mother fiercely even when they don’t understand her?  For me, Alfie and Benji were the heart and soul of this book.  Alfie is the planner and chief instigator of most of their plots, but Beni has an insight into people that’s well beyond his years, plus a strong desire to help those who are troubled. Their plot to marry off Andrew to Mary so that they can get their room back and stop sleeping in the cellar starts out as a selfish motive, but turns into a determination (at least on Benji’s part) to see that Mary’s well cared for and Andrew is happy.

However, not all is sweetness and light in this book. Mary left the Amish and has returned home an unwed mother.  Although she’s confessed her sin to God and is truly repentant, many among the Amish community reject her and think she needs to suffer for a time to make her aware of her sins.  This is a good commentary for all of us on compassion and forgiveness.  Because of  Benji’s kind heart towards Mary, Andrew begins to put aside his self-righteousness and see Mary for the treasure she truly is. All does not run smoothly for Mary and Andrew, and it takes the twins, plus some fireworks, a cat in a tree, and the fire department to make sure all turns out as it should.

I am so hoping there’s another book or two with Alfie and Benji, as Andrew has two more brothers that need to be married.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
Andrew is a beautifully written Amish romance.  The plot is well written and characters well developed.  Throughly enjoyed this book.  Fans of Amish fiction will enjoy this book.  My thanks to the publisher for my advance ebook.  This is my unbiased review.
This was a cute story with a unique plot, however I think the author spent far too much time focusing on the two younger brothers. Yes, they were the minds behind the grand plan to find their brother a wife, but I think the focus was on them for too much of the book rather than on Andrew and Mary.

I will say that I enjoyed watching Andrew come to terms with his feelings and beliefs toward Mary.

** ARC received from Netgalley **
Judgment, forgiveness, new beginnings, new ways of thinking play heavily in this book.

Mary Coblenz who left the Amish two years ago, come back to the community, unmarried and now pregnant.  Her parents, and others in the community refuse to have anything to do with her.

When Andrew Petersheim’s grandfather has a stroke and his grandfather and grandmother move in with the family, his 8-year old twin brothers, Benji and Alfie, decide it is time that Andrew get married so they can get their room back and not have to sleep in the basement.   Mary has come to the community and is staying with a friend, Bitsy, who runs the Honeybee Farm and with the innocence of a child’s mind, the boys befriend Mary and decide she should be the one for Andrew.  Andrew is very upset that they have befriended Mary, feeling she will be a bad influence on them and teach them to go against the Amish teachings.

However, as Andrew gets to know Mary, he sees that perhaps he has been over-judgmental towards her and soon realizes that God is to be the judge, not him.

This is such a delightful book as the boys’ antics are very amusing, and the life changes that occur make the book one you don’t want to put down until you have completed it.

I highly recommend this book.  I received a copy of this book from Kensington Books through Netgalley.  The opinions expressed are my own.
My thoughts:
This was such a fun book!  I really enjoyed reading it.  It’s been a bit since I’ve read a good Amish fiction novel and I loved getting to read this one.  Jennifer Beckstrand is a new author to me and now I’m wanting to read her Honey Bee sister series as well.  I’m looking forward to reading about the other brothers.

Hands down favorite characters were the twins.  So full of fun and life.  Also, who doesn’t love an eight-year-old who doesn’t change his shirt for months!  I can see my kiddos doing that, in fact, I think they might have tried it before.  I’m actually sure of it because I have had to tell my 11-year-old to go change his shirt after several days of wearing it!

I felt so bad for Mary with the way she was treated by her community.  But then as I thought of it I realized that this is so common.  We as a society think that we should punish or ostracize people with behaviors we don’t agree with.  That’s not going to help them want to change now, is it?!

Andrew, well, he got quite an awakening!  I laughed quite a bit at him.  He has to come to some serious realizations not only about Mary and her sin but also about himself and all the sin he has done through his life too.

And then there is the peanut butter business.  Andrew hates being known as the Peanut Butter Brothers, he doesn’t like peanut butter, he doesn’t want to make it.  His love is woodworking.  But he only does that in secret so that he doesn’t hurt his mother.

So much going on in this one novel!

Andrew is a fun fast-paced novel.  I read it quickly.  It was such a fun read too.  I loved it.  The characters grabbed my heart and my attention and I can’t wait to go back and visit them.  I have a feeling that they’re some of my new best friends now.  And guys.  I cannot wait to hear more about those ornery twins.  They definitely remind me of my own boys and make me a little weary for the future of my three-year-old boy who could be both of the twins in one!

I have voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from Celebrate Lit. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.  I was not required to write a positive review nor was I compensated in any other way.  All opinions expressed are my own.  I am disclosing this in accordance with the FTC regulations.
This book is filled with love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance. Jennifer Beckstrand has written an exciting book about how love conquers all, even the adversity that everyday life brings.

This book is about a girl and boy who are on different paths but love brings them together to face the world and all that comes their way.

I could not put this book down! It filled my thoughts with questions about my own life and how I need to start reacting and stop judging. This book also shows us the true meaning of the phrases, "Never judge a book by it's cover!", and "Sometimes you don't see what's right in front of you!"

All in all Jennifer Beckstrand has written a riveting book that will keep you wondering what will happen next!

I received a free copy of this book, to share my opinion with others, from the publisher.
A great book to show what true forgiveness of one's sins means. There is only one true judge and He is in the heavens above. I also think it shows us bravery. It takes a strong woman to decide to walk through pregnancy on her own without the man she thought was her forever. It takes bravery to leave a bad situation.

I enjoy Beckstrand's creative license with some of her Amish characters. Fans of Beckstrand all know the quirky grandma, Anna, from her Matchmakers of Huckleberry Hill series and now we have Bitsy, who definitely marches to her drummer. These characters make her books fun and entertaining.

I am looking forward to reading book two, Abraham, releasing November 2019.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher, Kensington Books, through NetGalley. Any and all opinions expressed in the above review are entirely my own.
Jennifer Beckstrand is one of my favorite authors of Amish Fiction! She is a master storyteller who is able to make you giggle at her quirky characters as well as think deeply , all within the same chapter! That is a very special talent!

"Andrew" is filled with characters who are all so realistically and richly described that you feel that they are your best friends within minutes of beginning to read this fabulous story. I loved Bitsy who certainly is far from your stereotypical Amish woman!! The Peanut Butter Brothers, in reality,  Benji and Alfie Petersheim, make you laugh out loud with their antics,  great comic relief in the midst of some serious situations. Their desire to matchmake is sweet , funny and yes, somewhat frustrating , at least to Mary and Andrew!  Mary is a sweet young lady, brought up Amish, who made a big mistake by " jumping the fence", however is now trying her best to make amends and gain the approval of the community once again. As difficult as it is, she is determined to begin a new life, even when suffering the results of living the Englisch life. Andrew gains one's love and approval immediately with his kindness and willingness to help Mary. I loved revisiting Honeybee Farm, feeling that I was back in familiar territory.

The plot moves quickly filled with unexpected twists and turns! As Mary struggles to show that she has learned some hard lessons, the sometimes undesired approval from Andrew, helps her along the way. It takes a long time and many lessons learned before Mary can accept forgiveness of herself and others. The underlying message of this tale comes through loud and clear. Andrew exemplifies what we all should be striving for, faith, patience and honesty. Everyone deserves a second chance and he helps Mary realise this.

This is a five star book!!! It will leave you thinking how important forgiveness is and how judging hurts oneself as well as many others. I can hardly wait for the next book from this fantastic author!
Author Jennifer Beckstrand brought her characters to life. Those twins!!! You’ll love them. A fun, matchmaking story, it still contains some heavy subjects that keep it from being “fluff”. I did read through it quickly as I wanted to see how things would turn out.

With wonderful Christian values, Beckstrand shows us that we all sin yet God loves us and accepts us unconditionally. So should we do this with others. Things are not always what they seem and we don’t know what’s going on in someone’s heart.

There were plenty of chuckles while reading. With charming characters who don’t fit the norm you’ll enjoy this book if you like Amish fiction. Plus you’ll learn about making peanut butter. Bonus! So make a peanut butter sandwich, grab a copy of Andrew, and enjoy.

I received a complimentary copy of this book but was not required to leave a review.
Andrew is a great older brother.  He is handsome and smart.  But he has a tendency to not think before he speaks.  This can cost him big time.  Will he learn from his mistakes?

Mary has made some mistakes.    It has cost her dearly.  Can she forgive herself?  Can she be forgiven by others?

I absolutely adored Andrew's younger twin brothers, Alfi and Benji as well as a returning favorite- Aunt Bitsy.  The story was funny and entertaining.  It was enjoyable.  I couldn't wait to read it when I got home from work.  What would the twins get up to next?

I am excited that this tale will continue on with Andrew's two single brothers, Abraham and Austin.  Jennifer Beckstrand knows how to pull your heart strings, make you laugh and cry and teach you a valuable lesson all at the same time.

I received her book for free to review from Celebrate Lit.
A very nice book by Jennifer Beckstrand. I’ve never read a book by this author before so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the story and the characters.