Clause & Effect

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Jun 2019

I enjoyed this book. Its a fun read. I liked meeting Mikki and the rest of the characters. I would read more in this series. I would recommend.
I love Mikki and her quirky friends!  This story revolves around Mikki re-writing a play about the town's founding.  Of course, there is a body involved with a museum renovation and it's up to Mikki to solve.  This of course leads to danger for Mikki but she overcomes all obstacles and proves age doesn't matter.
Thanks to Netgalley for an advance copy of this book.
Mikki Lincoln has returned to her childhood home and opened an editing service. Naturally, when the local historical society needs to edit a pageant script, they think of her.
Mikki isn't wild about taking on the job -- the historical society figures she'll do the work for free, out of civic spirit -- but the addition of a long-dead body increases the appeal. Things get more interesting after that, with a long-lost relative, hints of local corruption, and old sins with long shadows.
The people and the place are interesting and realistic. Mikki is a refreshing change from the self-deprecating young heroines you often find in this genre. And the mystery is well-plotted, with plenty of twists and turns but also with all the loose ends neatly tied up.
Even though I liked the plot,  concept, pace and Mikki (especially as she's a bit older), I felt the writing style was a bit immature at times. And don't even get me started on the Ronnie character.
Clause & Effect is the second installment in A Deadly Edits Mystery series.  It can be read as a standalone if you have not had time to read Crime & Punctuation.  I like that Mikki Lincoln is a mature main character (70 years old).  She is a retired English teacher who now lives in the home where she grew up with her cat, Calpurnia.  I think the name of her proofreading and editing business is clever (The Write Right Wright).  We learn a little more about her friend, Darlene Uberman and her frenemy, Ronnie North.  Personally, I could do without Ronnie.  She is an abrasive character (the traditional mean girl) who quickly got on my nerves.  The endless sniping reminded me of high school girls instead of mature women.  Mikki’s cousin, Luke shows up and we learn more about Mikki’s family tree.  I enjoyed Mikki’s reminiscing about her childhood as it lets us get to know Mikki better.   The two mysteries tied together nicely which provided multiple suspects and a red herring or two. There are clues to help the reader identify the evil doer before Mikki.  Mikki’s questioning technique leaves a lot to be desired (blunt).  She comes across as a busybody instead of amateur sleuth.  Detective John Hazlett tells her multiple times to stop investigating, but he does appreciate the intel Mikki shares with him.  Readers also learn more about the village and how it has changed over the last twenty-five years.  I admit it is confusing that there is a town and a village with the same name.  I did feel that the story lacked humor and the pacing was lethargic (action was sorely needed).  The literary and grammar references that were sprinkled throughout Crime & Punctuation were missing in Clause & Effect.  There are some language and grammar tips from Mikki at the end.  Clause & Effect has a town celebration, two dead bodies, a crumbled fireplace, feuding sisters, a cat named Calpurnia, and one prying proofreader.
Mikki Lincoln knows words. As a freelance editor, she helps writers get their pieces ready for publication. It’s only in her spare time that she snoops around, asking people about murder. But with her town, Lenape Hollow, having its 225th anniversary, there’s not as much time for playing Miss Marple. Especially since they want to put on a play that the town did for their 200th celebration, and it needs a lot of editing help. As someone who grew up in Lenape Hollow, Mikki wants the celebration to be a success, so she reluctantly agrees to volunteer her time to polish the script.

But when some renovations at the historical society reveal a body that had been concealed behind a wall for decades, Mikki finds herself back in the midst of a mystery.

Her work with the play has her studying a lot of town history, so she finds herself uncovering long-held secrets, some of which heal relationships rifts, and others just cause more problems. Mikki tries as hard as she can to write a happy ending to the story, but there is someone else working against her, someone trying to keep their identity as a killer from being exposed.

Clause and Effect is the second book in Kaitlyn Dunnett’s Deadly Edits series. A long-time writer of mysteries (I love her Liss MacCrimmon series, about a Scottish shop owner in Maine), this is actually her sixtieth book in print (congratulations to her!) as well as a genuinely fun read.

Mikki is an independent older woman (in her 70s), but still working and renovating her childhood home and hanging out with her friends. Clause and Effect is a smart, well-written mystery with plenty of shady suspects and red herrings. It’s a cozy for word lovers, and a very enjoyable way to pass the time.

Galleys for Clause and Effect were provided by Kensington Books through NetGalley, with many thanks.
Princess Fuzzypants here:  We like MIkki.  Momma, being of a certain age, can certainly empathize with her.  She is a smart literate capable lady from the early Baby Boom.  She works as a book editor but is pressured into helping her small town celebrate it’s 225th anniversary.  She is asked to update a script last used at the Bicentennial but a quick look tells her the original will need to be scrapped and rewritten.  She is in the local HIstorical Society when renovations reveal a terrible secret.  Hidden in a wall is a body of a woman who may, in fact, be the author of the original script.  Talk about a tough critic!
Despite the flaws of the script, it soon comes out that there were plenty of people who might not have wished the victim well.  One of them felt justified in murdering her and placing her where the killer thought she would never be found.  It is all a pretty convoluted mess as one of the characters says, it was like a Peyton Place at the time in question.  Who said history was boring?
I confess  I really like MIkki.  I like that in spite of the things that no longer work properly, she is still resourceful when she is in danger although she does have a bad habit of talking about people when they can overhear her.  It is a fault that may cost her dearly. She is a character with depth and potential and makes the reader want to join her on adventures.
Five purrs and two paws up.
Thank you to the publishers and Netgalley for the chance to read this book!

What a charming sleuth Mikki makes! In this one book we learn a fair bit about Mikki and her childhood, as well as her friends and almost enemies. She is delving into a cold case, but we learn about her as wellin the process. I loved how everything tied together, and it had to for a crime that happened over 25 years earlier. All it takes are the right questions to the wrong people for someone to slip up and reveal themselves as a murderer!

What I really liked was the red herrings, and I wonder where some of the characters (Luke especially, although the sister's quarrel and reconciliation was interesting as well) I haven't read the first book, but I'd like to now, as well as this author when they write under a different name.

A solid start, five stars.
Kaitlyn Dunnett
Clause and Effect
This is the second book in the series which I enjoyed better than the first.
A body is found walled up in a fire place .
A 25 year old cold case is opened .
Miki is involved into finding the truth also asking a lot of questions that some people don’t like.
A lot of secrets are found out and plenty of suspects.
Look forward for the next instalment of this series .
I barely made it through the first few pages of this before setting it aside. The writing style was immature, and I just knew this was not the book for me.
A fun read from beginning to end. The story catches you right from the beginning and by the end you are wanting more pages to appear for the story to continue.  Full of well developed characters, and a completely satisfying plot.
I have read the previous books in the series and enjoyed the series very much.. Clause & Effect by Kaitlyn Dunnett is the 2nd book in Deadly Edits mystery series.  Each book can be read as a stand alone if you have not read the first in series.  I highly recommend this series . Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for the opportunity. My opinions are my own.  What I appreciate about this series is the protagonist and many of the charcters are seniors and written as smart, contributing savvy people that are valued .

Mikki Lincoln is a professional freelance book editor and a very savvy  sleuth.   She has proven to be adept at solving crimes . Mikki does not suffer fools and is a savvy investigator .   She is a independent smart woman who happens to be a senior . This book she has her hands full with a cold case when a body is found in a wall that fell .  The historical society is in the middle of renovating the building and the town is putting on its founders day event so this cold case is putting a damper on festivities. . Mikki is determined to solve the cold case and takes it on gladly even though it appears it occurred 25 years ago !  Then a current day murder occurs and she is driven to solve that first while working on solving the first murder.  She has help from the historical society with the first murder and is on the right trail of the first when she discovers possibly clues leading to the right suspect.
 This book is a fun read and I greatly appreciate the author features intelligent senior women.  The plot was well crafted and the author writes of very likable characters.  The conclusion was a surprise and I enjoyed the twist and turns created by the author.  I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.   I highly recommend this book and the series.
I didn't guess who the murderer was and that is one of the best things I can say about this book.
I still am not a fan of the MC and I am still unsure why and all the "mean girl" crap that goes on in this [and the previous one] book just about drives me insane. These women are in the 70's and are WAY past this kind of demeaning behavior.
There were plenty of red herrings, but all that leads to is a story that just takes way too long to wrap up. I could have done with about 50 less pages of this story or have had the story of the MC's cousin more fleshed out and a lot of the sniping and snooping left out.
This book just fell flat for me and I will not be reading any more of this series.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Publishing for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Clause And Effects is the second book in the Deadly Edits Mystery series.

I’m really enjoying visiting with residents of Lenape Hollow and especially Mikki Lincoln.  Most all seem to be salt of the earth folks who watch out for each other.

Mikki Lincoln, a 60-something retired English teacher has returned to her hometown and has bought the home she grew up in.  The house needs updating and she decided to start a freelance book editing business to supplement her retirement income.  The community wants to celebrate the 225th anniversary of its founding.  Her best friend Darlene Uberman her high school nemesis, Ronnie North are able to convince her to rewrite the play that was used for the 200th celebration.

The historical society won’t let her take the original play from the building and is provided some space on the second floor of the building as there are renovations going on the first floor.  As Mikki is reading the original script, she hears a loud crash goes to see what has happened and finds that a wall that was built 25 years ago has come down.  Once the dust settles, Charlie Katz the contractor working on the project discovers a body wrapped in plastic in the fireplace.  Mikki doesn’t really have the time to learn who the body might be, but she can’t try and learn whose body was found.  Hopefully, the identity of the body will soon be learned and the killer will be determined if the killer is still around.

The story is well told and plotted proceeds at a good pace.  This book has a cast of interesting and believable characters.  Many of the characters from the first book are back once again.  A new character is introduced in this book.  The new character is Luke and he is a cousin of Mikki who she didn’t know anything about and is able to share some family history that Mikki was aware of.  Hopefully, he will be back in future books so that we can learn more about him.

I will be definitely watching for the next book in this series.
Clause & Effect by Kaitlyn Dunnett is the 2nd book in Deadly Edits mystery series, and another good addition.  Mikki Lincoln is a professional freelance book editor, but she has also become a amateur sleuth.   The historical society is in the middle of renovating the building, when human remains are found walled up in the fireplace.  Mikki is determined to solve the cold case, when a murder occurs, she must look into that first.  This book is a fun read, with an intelligent older women.  I found this book to be a quick read, with well developed plot and characters.  I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.  If you love cozy mysteries like I do, than I recommend this book.

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and Kensington Publishing. Thank you.
I liked the first book in this series and I liked this one.
I appreciated the well written and likable cast of characters, the plot and the setting.
The mystery was good and it kept me guessing.
I look forward to reading the next installment in this series.
Recommended!
Many thanks to Kensington Books and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Miki Lincoln lived in Maine until the death of her husband. Staying in Maine as a widow, facing her retirement alone isn't to her liking. When she finds out that the house she lived in for the first 17 years of her life has come up for sale she decides how to spend her golden years. She buys the house and returns to Lenape Hollow, in the Catskills. In the first mystery of the series she has discovered that her childhood home may just turn out to be a bit of a money pit and her retirement funds won't support her needs and those of her house. The solution is to become a book doctor, freelance editing of manuscripts. She was, after all, an English teacher and this is a perfect solution. Too bad it seems to attract murders.
A lot of people have odd ideas about retired people and how they spend their time. When some of the locals come to Miki regarding the 225th anniversary of the founding of the town, they want her to read the play that was put on 25 years past and bring it up to date......gratis. That won't pay her bills but she agrees. Spending her time stuck in the historical society archives, pretty much doing a re-write of the play is one thing but her plans never included being a witness to the uncovering of a plastic wrapped body when the construction work goes wrong and a wall crumbles. Here we go again. Miki wasn't in town 25 years ago but there are enough connections that she starts snooping. She has a real talent for solving murders and that makes some people nervous. Will the killer focus on her and try to put an end to her meddling into a very cold case that some want to remain that way?
I love cozy mysteries and main characters of all ages but it is so nice to hang out with a lady over 65. One with life skills, experiences and lots of personality. She has earned her stripes in life. She is the kind of character I would like to have as a neighbor. Plus, she's a cat lady. As for the mystery, that is just right, a satisfying puzzle that drew me in and let me escape for awhile. Now I'm ready to see what is in store for Miki in her next investigation.
Mikki Lincoln moved away from Lenape Hollow, got married, raised a family, and lost her husband. Now, years later, she's moved back, and she's constantly learning how her hometown has changed while she was gone. Mikki may be sixtysomething and wear hearing aids and glasses, but she seldom misses a trick when it comes to grammar or murder. I really enjoy this character, although I certainly didn't enjoy how everyone forced her into dealing with that script for the play. As you know, when you get roped into something after being told over and over again that it's just "this one little thing that won't take but a minute," that one little thing rapidly turns into a time-consuming rattlesnake den of problems. I did notice, however, that once the cold case popped up, Mikki stopped complaining about missed earnings. She's definitely got the amateur sleuth bug.

She's also got an old school acquaintance named Ronnie who always bulldozes everyone in her path into doing things her way. I would dearly love a future book in this series to have Ronnie be forced to do everyone else's bidding. What deliciousness!

Luke makes his first appearance in Clause & Effect, and I'm hoping that he'll return; otherwise, he's a bit of a wasted character. And while we're talking about residents of Lenape Hollow, there's Calpurnia, the de rigueur cozy mystery pet. Calpurnia is for those cat lovers who only require their felines to demand food constantly and occasionally deign to be cuddled. (I know, more action from the cat detracts from the mystery. It's just the dog lover coming out in me.)

As you can tell, I've fallen under the spell of the cast of characters, and Dunnett knows how to write a strong mystery as well. I wonder what sort of trouble Mikki Lincoln will find herself in next?
Series: Deadly Edits - Book 2
Author: Kaitlyn Dunnett
Genre: Cozy Mystery/Literary
Publisher: Kensington Books
Page Count: 288

Clause & Effect by Kaitlyn Dunnett is the second book in the cozy book series “Deadly Edits, published by Kensington Books. This is fast becoming a favorite series. Only two books into this cozy book series and fans are already making it a must read. This book is articulate, edited well and plot driven with great characters and beautiful settings.

Mikki, is what women of a certain age aspire to become. She is independent, hardworking and enjoys spending time with her friends. She gets involved with community situations that aren’t always to her plan, but she does them never-the-less and does them better than anyone else could. She is smart, funny and energetic. Other characters are equal to Mikki is strength and determination, even when they don’t like what is going on, they give it their all. They are loving, and supportive of each other, while still retaining some of their high school rivalries and grudges. All-in-all they are wonderfully exciting and fun.

Finding a body is not Mikki’s idea of fun, but she seems to attract them out of the woodwork, literally.  A body that has been walled up for twenty-five years isn’t a pretty sight. It doesn’t take Mikki long to find out who the victim was but figuring out who the killer is tests her investigative abilities. When she finally figures it out, she almost becomes the next victim and has to play keep away with the killer. Thankfully, Mikki wins the game, banged up and bruised but intact.

I genuinely love this cozy book series and Mikki. In Clause & Effect, just like in the last book keeps you guessing, has lots of action and ends up making the reader happy with the outcome. Questions are posed, and answered, victims are abundant, and the killer comes off as a nice person, but in the end, is ruthless and single-minded. I am thrilled to have read this book and look forward to the next. A cozy book series that will entertain and make readers smile is always welcome on my bookshelves.

ARC provided by Kensington via NetGalley
Clause & Effect is the second book in Kaitlyn Dunnett’s Deadly Edits series.  This is an entertaining mystery with a great cast of well-developed characters.  The book starts out slow, but the pace does pick up.  There are some and twists and turns to keep the reader guessing.

Mikki Lincoln is a recently widowed, retired English teacher, who decided it was time to make a change in her life, so she bought her childhood home in Lenape Hollow, New York, which she hasn’t seen since she was seventeen.  She packed up her possessions, her Calico cat who is named Calpurnia, and moved from Maine to the Catskills only to find the house in desperate need of repair.  When she realized the repairs would quickly eat through her retirement income, she decided to become a freelance editor.  Mikki’s friend, Darlene Uberman, and her high school nemesis, Ronnie North, guilt her into proofreading and editing the script for the Quasquibicentennial pageant, a celebration of the arrival of Lenape Hollow’s first settlers.  She ends up rewriting it when she finds glaring historical errors in the script.  While visiting the historical society building, which is undergoing renovations, to look at the old script, a wall comes crashing down, and human remains fall out.  Mikki becomes caught up in learning the identity of the victim, begins asking a lot of questions, and tries to help solve the murder.  Detective Jonathan Hazlett doesn’t seem to be making much headway in his investigation, and Mikki shares her findings with him.

I received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it.