Murder's No Votive Confidence

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Jun 2019

this mystery is well planned and fast paced and contains enough twists and turns to keep you guessing until the very end,  I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
I absolutely adore candles and Murder’s No Votive Confidence was absolutely perfect for me.  Stella was a delightful character that had the amazing ability to pick out the perfect scent for a client as well as sniffing out clues to a recent murder.  I loved the love triangle that came about in this fun story and I have a feeling that this is going to be one of my favorite new series.  I’m excited to read book number two so I can learn more about making candles.
So I like books that are set in unusual places or with unusual jobs. For me this falls into that category. I enjoyed the characters and the writing style. It was a quick. light, fun read that I would recommend to others. I would read more books in this series.
Nantucket is on my bucket list of places to visit so anytime I can read a book set there I jump. Murder's, No Votive Confidence is a great addition to the Nantucket setting. I was pleased the author went to the roots of Nantucket and had Stella own and operate a candle store.

I am looking forward to the next installment in The Nantucket Candle Making series. I'm interested in seeing how Stella's love life progresses. Andy, in my opinion, is not out of the running. The jury is still out if I like Peter.
If you are looking for a new series with a different cozy setting than small-town landlocked America and a theme different from culinary then I suggest you grab this book. It is a fast-paced read that has no problems holding your interest.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher, Kensington, through NetGalley. Any and all opinions expressed in the above review are entirely my own.
I really loved this book for so many reasons.  The characters, the setting, the wedding, the mystery.  Need I go on.  I always love the first book of a new series, there is such great anticipation and expectation.  This book did not disappoint in any way and I look forward to more in the series. Thank you Kensington and netgalley for the opportunity to read the arc, the opinions are my own
I picked this book because it is the first in a new series, something that always has potential even before reading it solely because it heralds an entry of new and possibly interesting characters. This book lived up to its role and puts us right in the middle of a very 'happening' wedding. Stella Wright is the local Candle Lady. It is a reputation she has built on her mother's beginnings from travels far and wide. This wedding is a golden opportunity to ensure that she gets more orders since the entire wedding is candle themed. Unfortunately, one of the wedding party is found dead two days before the wedding and this puts a lot of things into jeopardy.

There is no dearth of suspects since the behaviour of the victim seems to have been reproachable, and one of the locals is quickly arrested. Stella has access to the hotel rooms because of her work at the wedding and the need to prove that the arrested man did not commit the crime. She is supported by the people around her, especially an old frenemy- Andy. Andy and Stella gave me Anne & Gilbert vibes (from Anne of Green Gables-LM Montgomery) and although they end up at different places by the end of the book I have hope for them in the series. I suspected a few of the diversions in the storyline as certain revelations were made but the only downside was that I am used to not feeling for the victim in these cozies but I had to feel for Simon once all the revelations were sorted. This put a pretty big damper on the read, which might have been the author's intention since it changed the tone of the narrative.

The writing was light, concise and revealed a lot of emotional bonds between the various characters mentioned and I would love to visit them all again.

I received an ARC thanks to NetGalley and the publishers but the review is completely based on my own reading experience.
Murder, vows, and candle wax... A candle shop cozy that is filled to the brim with quirky characters, a cozy setting, and a perfect mystery. I was quite impressed with this wonderful book. **thanks to the publisher for the ARC to review**
I found this mystery really enjoyable, even though there were a lot of characters to keep track of.  I loved that the protagonist has a candle shop. The characters and storyline are enjoyable. I'm looking forward to more in this series.
Stella Wright is engaging as a new small business owner on Nantucket. She made her dream come true by opening Wick & Flame, a candle store complete with classes. Her unique scents and designs draw in plenty of tourists, but branching out her business is a solid move. Enter best friend Emily, a wedding planner and now Stella is in charge of all things candle for Jessica Sterling's perfect wedding on the island. After a late night card game turns up a dead body next to one of her hand made unity candles, Stella can't help but try to find things out for a childhood friend on the force. I liked the gradual introduction to various people in Stella's life, including a cadre of cousins that I imagine will continue to make appearances in subsequent stories. Really enjoyed the book and the setting, can't wait for another candle book.
My rating: 2 of 5 stars, it was okay.

First in the series.

This was a good start to the series, but I definitely think the main characters need to be developed a bit more. And it annoyed the heck out of me that this one seems to be falling down the love triangle hole of doom. That's an automatic downrate for me.

I liked the mystery, and I loved the candle making part of the story.

All in all, I enjoyed this book, and will look forward to the next book in the series. I just hope the author wraps up the love triangle pretty darned fast.
It’s Memorial Day in Nantucket and candle store owner Stella Wright is hired to create candles for a huge wedding. It’s a dream come true for Stella, but things take a nasty turn when the bride’s uncle is murdered before he can walk her down the aisle. Oddly enough, the murder weapon is one of Stella’s candles.

Stella is stunned when a local bartender is arrested for the murder. She’s sure he would never kill anyone and she intends to prove it. She’s even more motivated when her customers start canceling their candle orders when they learn it was used as a murder weapon.

The local police detective is not happy to have Stella sticking her nose into his business, to say the least. However, she has no intention of backing down.

This is a great start to a new cozy mystery series. I liked Stella right from the start. She’s strong, although a bit nosy but aren’t all amateur sleuths? The cast of characters are interesting and quirky.

It’s a fast-paced story and I was surprised at how it all ended up. The author did a good job of giving several different possibilities of whodunit. She kept me thinking until very near the end. I’m looking forward to the next book in this series.

What a fantastically fun book this is!! Stella is a candle maker in Nantucket gearing up to provide candles to an upcoming wedding. Things start out great with things going quite smoothly until the bride's Uncle is found dead with the unity handle next to him. The best cat ever alerts them to the body and I must say I had great fun waiting for the cat to keep popping up after that. The moments blend perfectly with the story making me fall in love with the whole thing. Superbly written mystery full of twists, turns, and humor that will have you hooked from the very first page. I can't wait for the next one! I totally loved it so I give it 5/5 stars.
Candles, an Island, and Murder - oh my!

I love reading cozies that have the protagonist in a career that is crafty and one that is intriguing.  Enter Stella and her candlemaking business.  She makes unique candles with handcrafted scents and seems to know what sort of scent would be best for various people.  I'd love to know what she would suggest for me.  She even teaches classes on candlemaking and I would have liked the book to have explored that just a little bit more, or added more details regarding the two classes that were taught in this book.

This mystery has a fair amount of characters but most of them are tied to a wedding that is taking place.  I think we meet about 7 characters that were townsfolk.  That helps when trying to figure out who might be the killer since it is most likely tied to the wedding and its guests.  Speaking of the murder - while I didn't figure out the killer, I thought the author did a good job of throwing suspicion on various characters so that when the killer was revealed it was quite a surprise to me.  I might have suspected this character but didn't know how deep the hatred ran and why.

There is also a potential love triangle between Stella, Andy, and Peter.  Andy has a girlfriend but I don't think she is right for him.  Peter is the new journalist in town and seems interesting but you wonder how much is him or his career choice.  If I had to choose, I'm #TeamAndy because they just seem like they fit together plus they have been friends forever.  But we shall see how the author decides to work this out in future books.

I think this is going to be a good new series and we give this book 4 paws up.
MURDER'S NO VOTIVE CONFIDENCE by Christin Brecher
The First Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery

Stella Wright is the Candle Lady of Nantucket Island. Surrounded by friends and her large family, Stella loves her hometown and is happy to provide candles to locals and tourists alike at her shop, the Wick and Flame. Stella's current big project is providing candles for the wedding of Jessica Sterling. Her unique scents have become so popular, several brides have begun commissioning her for their own unity candles. As the wedding weekend is about to commence, the bride's uncle is found murdered-killed by Stella's unity candle. When an old family friend is charged with the crime and brides around the island are cancelling their candle orders Stella knows she needs to step in and help solve the murder. With assistance from her childhood friend on the police force and the new journalist in town, Stella is prepared to uncover the many secrets of the bridal party and bring the real killer to justice.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first visit to Nantucket Island with MURDER'S NO VOTIVE CONFIDENCE. A charming setting, smart characters, a fantastic cat, and unique candles combine to enhance a great mystery. Stella is a fun, down to earth protagonist with mad island skills. The supporting cast is just as interesting, from her family to her candle making students to the visiting movie star and the bridal party. I absolutely adore Tinker, a special cat who also possesses some great skills.

This first Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery has readers using all of their senses. Scent in particular plays a huge part of the story as well as an integral plot point. The smell of salt air mingled with the scents Stella creates for her candles creates a wonderful ambiance. I felt I was right there on the island.

MURDER'S NO VOTIVE CONFIDENCE is a fantastic start to a new series. It's a fast paced adventure filled with excitement and fun. There are lots of undercurrents, especially among the various relationships, that I can't wait to see expanded and explored in future books.
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Stella Wright owns Wick & Flame and has become the go-to person for wedding unity candles. She has created a two-foot-tall unity candle for Jessica Sterling and Joe Handler’s wedding, along with candles for the church, reception, and for the guests to take home all with an original scent approved by the bride. The family and bridal party have checked into the hotel including Simon Sterling, the bride’s uncle who has been asked to walk her down the aisle. New plans must be made when Simon body is found next to the broken unity candle.

A visiting police captain known for quickly solving cases makes a fast arrest. A bartender Stella has known for years. Also, brides are tying her to the murder and starting to cancel their orders. Deciding the only way to catch the real killer is by doing her own investigation. She is soon burning the candle at both ends when she searches out a murderer and works to replace the broken candle. She just needs to do it all without becoming the killer’s next target.

_______

I love the candlemaking theme of this series and am in awe of Stella Wright’s talent. Setting it on Nantucket is a wonderful bonus!

The author introduces us to a wonderful group of core characters. Stella, candlemaker extraordinaire, her female best friend wedding planner and very pregnant Emily, Nantucket Police Officer Andy, male best friend, which may turn into something more. . . or not, and Peter, a journalist who has come to town to report on the wedding. He could also be interested in Stella and wants to help her solve the murder, especially if he gets the scoop.  The author does an excellent job developing these characters, making them real and engaging. There is still much to learn but for the first book in a series, it was very well done.

Ms. Brecher also introduces a vast number of suspects, some with more motive than others and many with opportunity. The victim’s cat, Tinker also played a major role.

This cozy mystery is full of twists, turns, and surprises. I read this entire book in one day. I could not put it down. The pages just kept turning, raising new questions, bringing different suspects to the forefront. I enjoyed the way the story was laid out and the author’s clear descriptions. A romance is hinted at but the relationships are complicated. The mystery came to a very satisfying conclusion. A wedding has its own kind of drama, a dead body takes things to a whole new level.

The first book in a new cozy mystery series is hard to write. The author needs to find a balance between introducing the characters and giving readers an entertaining mystery. Christin Brecher excelled at both. She also left me wanting more. I can’t wait for my next trip to Nantucket and Wick & Flame. Murder Makes Scents is scheduled to release on February 25, 2020.
Jessica Sterling and Joe Handler have chosen Nantucket Island, with its natural beauty and quaint charm, as the ideal setting for their Memorial Day weekend nuptials.  As the guests begin to arrive at the Melville Inn for the big day, event planner Emily Gardner and her oldest friend, candle shop owner Stella Wright are working around the clock to deliver the perfect wedding.  And given their eye for detail, everything is under control--that is, until they encounter one detail they never anticipated--the death of Jessica's Uncle Simon, whose lifeless body is found in the inn's game room just days before he was to walk her down the aisle.  Simon has met a violent death, and the murder weapon is the unity candle that Stella hand-crafted for the wedding.

The police are quick to arrest Bill Duffy, an islander and bartender at the Melville Inn, who admitted to assaulting Simon during an argument earlier during the evening in question.   Jessica, whose family has been on the island for generations, has known Bill since she was a child and doesn't believe he is capable of murder.  Setting out to clear his name, Stella questions the people who interacted with Simon before his death and uncovers baffling clues and suspicious behavior.  She collaborates with handsome police officer and childhood friend Andy Southerland to identify a motive and vet the list of suspects.  And as if finding the real killer isn't enough to keep her busy, because the betrothed couple is determined to proceed with the wedding, Stella must quickly create a new ceremonial candle that will not only wow Jessica and Joe, but also restore interest and faith among the other prospective brides who have begun to associate Stella's wedding candles with bad luck.

Murder's No Votive Confidence is a rollicking good read with an engaging cast of characters revolving around protagonist Stella, who has a keen sense for sleuthing.  Her clan of Wright cousins is involved in all aspects of island business, and the other long-time islanders have their own strong history with Stella.  Author Christin Brecher enriches the plot by introducing several "outsider" characters: a mysterious movie star, a comical cat, and an ambitious journalist.  Between the wedding events, murder mystery, and a holiday sailing regatta there is never a dull reading moment.

Murder's No Votive Confidence is a welcome addition to summer reading lists.  This delightful start to a new series opens up possibilities for more adventures involving Stella, her family and friends, her budding love interests, and her candle shop.
I always enjoy trying a new series and this was no exception. The Nantucket Candle Maker mystery series is off to a great start. There is such history in Nantucket, it makes a wonderful setting. Candles were essential back in the days of whaling. Now candles have a different importance, in this mystery series they are special creations for weddings. Stella makes gorgeous candles and sell to tourists and locals, alike. Now she has been asked to create a Unity candle and scented candles for a wedding. All seems to be going well until a member of the wedding party is found dead and the murder weapon is the Unity candle, broken in two.
Stella has to act fast to prevent her business, the Wick and Flame, from going under. People are calling to cancel their orders and that will also kill any future orders. When the police arrest a well liked local bartender and seem to be saying case closed, Stella won't be sitting by while a killer gets away with murder.
This was a very good set up for a series. There is a nice bit of romance, too. The secondary characters who help Stella uncover the killer are well developed and the mystery was satisfying. I know I will be looking forward to spending more time with them when they return 2/25/2020 in Murder Makes Scents.
Princess Fuzzypants here:  As a fan of cozy mysteries, there are some inventive forms of murder.  Death by candle is unorthodox particularly when the candle was created for upcoming nuptials where the victim was the walk the bride down the aisle.  It is not just the candle that makes Stella feel invested in discovering the killer but she does feel affronted and threatened by the use of his artistic endeavour.
There appear to be a number of folks who are acting suspiciously.  Is one of them the murderer or is it just pre-wedding jitters?  Certainly the deceased has ruffled enough feathers to make the suspect list formidable but there are others who think more kindly of him including a big Hollywood star.  While I was not sure, the perp was on my radar so it was no huge surprise at the big reveal.  Still it was entertaining and had potential for a good vacation read.
Four purrs and two paws up.
Murder’s No Votive Confidence by Christin Becher is the first A Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery.  Stella Wright owns Wick & Flame on Nantucket Island.  She has been commissioned by bride-to-be, Jessica Sterling to create candles for her wedding including a one-of-a-kind unity candle.  On the day before the wedding, the unity candle is found broken on the floor next to Jessica’s uncle, Simon Sterling.  Someone took the candle and bashed in the man’s head (talk about crime of passion).  When family friend, Bill Duffy is arrested by a visiting police chief for the murder, Stella sets out to find the real killer.  I thought Murder’s No Votive Confidence was nicely written and it had steady pacing.  The story is told from Stella’s perspective.  I like the lovely setting of Nantucket Island.  The author provides beautiful descriptions of the island flora and fauna, the shops, homes and, of course, the ocean.  Stella is an affable character who prefers comfort clothes over fancy (much to her friend’s distress), a wee bit clumsy and has a contingent of cousins (I like Kate who forbade the others from cursing—good for her).  The secondary characters are introduced with the barest of details.  I am sure we will learn more about Stella and the others as the series progresses.  I especially want to know more about the Candleers (Stella’s candle class students).  I love that Stella is a candlemaker and I hope we get more information on the process of creating candles in future books.  Stella provides some helpful candle tips and her creations sound lovely.  The mystery was interesting with a unique twist.  While I could identify the killer early in the game, I was curious to know more.  I had questions and I wanted the answers.  Tinker, Simon’s cat, was a great addition to the book.  I like how he was involved in the investigation.  I enjoyed Christin Becher’s debut cozy mystery and I look forward to reading more of this engaging new series.  Murder’s No Votive Confidence is a delightful new cozy mystery that has a scenic setting, a nosy newspaperman, a nervous bride, a meddling mama, a mysterious feline, handcrafted tapers, and one determined amateur sleuth.
Murder’s No Votive Confidence takes place in the charming small island of Nantucket (a place that is on my wish list to visit sometime!). We meet Stella Wright - candle maker and owner of Wick & Flame, where she makes her gorgeous creations and hosts candle making classes. She has teamed up with her best friend Erin who is a wedding planner on the island and she has managed to create Unity candles for upcoming weddings.

As she is making final preparations for the upcoming wedding of Jessica Sterling, the bride and her family are looking for her Uncle who is going to walk her down the aisle - though they don’t expect to find him dead! And the murder wepon was none other than Stella’s heavy Unity candle!

It comes to light that the Uncle wasn't the nicest of men, and there were certainly a fair people attending the wedding that would have the opportunity to bump him off - I have to admit the little twists and clues that were meant to throw off the scent of the killer worked as a treat, and just when I thought I had it pegged something else happened and I was taken off in another direction.

This was a quick read and a good clean cozy mystery and I thought it was a great start to this series and I look forward to reading more in the Nantucket Candle Maker Mystery Series!