Paranoid

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Jun 2019

This book was a great addition to the Lisa Jackson library, with a great mystery in both the past and the present - plus the promise of much more to come as this new cast of characters gets warmed up.

Rachel is convinced that she accidentally killed her half-brother 20 years ago in a game gone wrong, even though a jury acquitted her of all wrongdoing. Now as she’s struggling to raise her teenagers and deal with the past, some of her friends from that night end up murdered. And she starts getting weird messages. Is it related to the events of that night 20 years ago? Or is Rachel being paranoid (see what I did there?)?

Jackson creates a great world with two main mysteries that are seamlessly interwoven: What happened to Luke that night at the cannery 20 years ago and what is happening in the present? Both were very compelling and has plenty of suspects to keep the plots interesting.

I do think the ending was kind of obvious and perhaps the least interesting one of the bunch of possibilities, HOWEVER there were plenty of little twists in there that kept things very interesting. And the very last chapter really has set-up some great possibilities for future installments of this series, so I’m looking forward to that.

I also liked Rachel and Cade, they were just trying to live with the weight of some very heavy circumstances. The romance part was well balanced and didn’t take over the plot, which I liked. I’ll be interested to see where they go.

Fans of Jackson or even just a good thriller will enjoy this installment in her world and find themselves pining for a follow-up.
I am no longer interested in the content of this book. So, I'm DNF'ing this book for now. I may circle back around to this book one day.
Couldn't put it down once I started! I had a feeling I knew who the bad guy might be, but getting there was a great read! Really enjoy Lisa Jackson's books and look forward to all her books.
Thrilling story, great plot and characters that keep you guessing right til the end.  Great for fans of this genre.  Really enjoyable.
I just LOVE Lisa Jackson! I have never been disappointed with a book of hers so I knew Paranoid was going to be a winner! The characters in this book are very likeable and the storytelling is very well done. Highly recommend this book for anyone who wants a nail-biting binge read!
I love this author and she did not disappointed. Loved the plot and the characters. A who dunit that everyone should read.. I could not put it down . Thank you Lisa Jackson for being the great author you are.
There are people in Edgewater, Oregon, who think that twenty years ago, Rachel Gaston got away with murder.

Rachel still has no idea how a foolish teenaged game turned deadly—or who replaced her soft pellet air gun with a real weapon. When a figure leapt out at her from the darkness, she fired without thinking. Too late, she recognized her half-brother, Luke, and saw blood blooming around his chest.

Despite counseling, Rachel’s horrifying dreams about that night continue. Her anxiety contributed to her divorce from Detective Cade Ryder, though he blames himself too. But as Rachel’s high school reunion nears, she feels her imagination playing tricks, convincing her that objects in her house have moved. That there’s a hint of unfamiliar cologne in the air. That someone is tailing her car. Watching her home.

She’s right to be scared. And as connections surface between a new string of murders and Luke’s death, Rachel realizes there’s no escaping the past, and the truth may be darker than her worst fears

My thoughts
Rating:4
While I'm usually hooked with her books this one take me a while to get into ,which kind of surprised me . Usually once I start reading I don't want to stop but I found myself putting this one down a few times,but I'm glad that I kept reading because just eventually I was pulled into it and was hooked . I think the problem I had getting into the story was that it wasn't as creepy as some of her other books that I've read , it just didn't feel like it was a Lisa Jackson book, but over all even though it took me a while to get into it ,it's still a good read .With at that said I want to say thank you to Netgalley for letting me read and review it exchange for my honest opinion.
What a fantastic book.  I've read some really good ones recently but this one overtakes them all.  I've not read any books by Lisa Jackson before and I'll definitely be checking out her others, and if they are as good as this one, I've got a lot to look forward to.  I also hope this gets made into a movie as the plot is excellent and there are so many twists and turns that keep you guessing.

Twenty years ago, a group of high school kids  played a game with pretend guns in an abandoned cannery. in Edgewater, Oregon.  Someone had a real gun and Rachel's half brother Luke was shot and killed. Rachel was accused of the killing but acquitted from the crime. Several of her friends testified that the shot came from behind her, but not even Rachel knows for sure. Now it's time for the 20 year class reunion and the local newspaper is dredging up the details of that fateful night.. The story starts from here  when things start to happen on the 20 year anniversary of his death.

Rachel’s nightmares about that night in question continue. Her anxiety contributed to her divorce from Detective Cade Ryder. As the school reunion nears, she feels her imagination playing tricks, and that someone is tailing her car. Watching her home.

She’s right to be scared. As connections between a new string of murders and Luke’s death come to light, Rachel's life gets turned upside down once again.  Who is to blame and are they trying to get revenge?

If you only read one book this year - make it this one!!
I couldn’t put this down! I love Lisa Jackson’s book and I think because I’ve read so many I kind of guessed this book 50% in. So I enjoyed it but it was predictable. But I’ll always recommend her books because she’s a great writer!
This book is hard to review because it took me a while to really enjoy it, and I found moments predicable. Despite that, the mystery, suspense, and tinges of romance are well paced. The characters themselves are hard to like - but they're kids and that could be my own bias. If you like thrillers with throwback events this one is a solid choice.
Paranoid is another recent thriller that I was excited to read, but was kind of let down in the end.  The premise of the book was promising...someone is killing classmates of Rachel Gaston's just in time for their class reunion.  Each of them were involved in a nighttime game in an abandoned factory when the game turned deadly.  Now as her friends are dying, someone is stalking her.

On the one hand,, I did enjoy the mystery part of the book.  I didn't call the killer or any of the twists in the end.  There were some very creepy scenes.  The big lesson to learn here? Don't meet your lover in an abandoned school at midnight.  The pacing was good and I wasn't bored.

What I didn't like were some of the characters.  They weren't memorable and most of them were horrible people.  Rachel's kids needed to have their attitudes majorly readjusted.  As an aside, why do authors keep writing teens like this?  I have two and I would never put up with attitudes like theirs.  I was also disappointed with the way Rachel and Cade both kept having inner dialogue with themselves about how much they missed the other, but it was never followed through with.  I would have loved a bit more romance in that area.  Ultimately, I would recommend it, it just wasn't as good as I was hoping.
In all honesty I expected a lot more from this book. Loved the title, the story line was a little slow and hard to get into. I did think a lot of passages were unnecessary, but a good read nonetheless. Recommended.
Paranoid is an intriguing, fast-paced thriller that's not only about paranoia  but also about secrets, lies and revenge. It was engaging from start to finish. I was fully absorbed by both the past and present stories. Who really killed Luke and who's out there to get revenge 20 years after? Aside from Rachel, there's few equally interesting characters to follow. And though I didn't have a hard time figuring out who's out for revenge, there are some twists and turns that caught me by surprise. Overall, a solid read.
This was my second book by this author and this one wasn't my favorite BUT I did enjoy it. There were some weak points to it however, I thought it did keep up the suspense and intrigue. Plot twists were pretty spot on. Although, it wasn't a favorite I would still recommend this one to most. It definitely won't be my last book by her and look forward to more from her.
Thanks to Netgalley, Kensington books and Lisa Jackson for this ARC. This starts off with a murder that happens 20 years earlier and the present. The author goes between the two very effortlessly. This is a suspenseful mystery type thriller that has you guessing all the way to the end. Just when you thought you had it figured it out, another plot twist is introduced. Great read by an Author who has easily made a spot on my list of Authors to follow.
Oh no, wow this was pretty bad!
Terrible story (weak, predictable) and the dialogues? The author tells us these are adults but makes tem sound like pre teens? Who speaks like that?
And why would ***Attention- Spoilers ahead-the bad woman whose name I've already forgotten, go to a hypnotherapist if she had all those terrible secrets? She knows them all, doesn't need help remembering, why risk it? Ugh, terrible book.

I'd still like to thank the Publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an Arc in exchange for my honest review.
Paranoid is one of the better Jackson books that I’ve read. I have to admit that I did not guess who the killer was from the crime 20 years ago. I did guess the culprit of the more recent crimes, and have to say it ruined the story for me. For me, it was as bad as reading a book and finding out “the Butler did it.”

The romance seemed almost secondary to the events of the story, so if you pick this book, pick it for the mystery elements. Truth be told, I would rather our heroine have found someone else, but it was fairly satisfactory.
Excellent psychological thriller!  It moved at a fast pace with twists and turns throughout!  Well-developed characters and plot.  Highly recommend!
📚📚📚📚 out of 5
This book was a fantastic mystery/thriller and it kept me on the edge of my seat slowly building up the tension to the point you wonder is she imagining it or not? Paranoid was the perfect title for the book. However on the romance scale I would say 1 out of 5 because it was practically non existent (which is fine, but please don’t market it as a romance).
20 years ago a tragedy happened and our heroine was blamed for killing her step brother. It doesn’t matter that she was acquitted- a small town has a short memory and then there is the fact that she blames herself. On the anniversary of his death one of the girls that cast doubt on our heroine committing the crime is killed and everything is bought back up to the surface.
What happened in this book is the reason why I don’t like second chance romances- second time around they still have feelings for each other and ok let’s maybe give it another go. WHY? Nothing got resolved, there is no communication about the breakdown of their relationship in the first place, so I’m left scratching my head a little. The heroine has two teenage kids and this again reminds me why I dislike YA- so much goddamn angst! I experienced enough of it myself, I so don’t want to experience it again!
Is Rachael paranoid or is she right to be afraid? This book kept me guessing and on the edge of my seat. A great read for all psychological thriller lovers