Strangled Eggs and Ham

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Jun 2019

This book is the 6th in the Country Store series, but can certainly be read as a standalone. I had no problems following the plot or the characters.

This was an adorable little cozy mystery that was the perfect break in after a long day. It had great characters, a nice plot and some delicious food descriptions.

Robbie Jordan is running her store/restaurant when she finds herself in the middle of a town dispute about a new possible resort coming to the area. When one of her B&B guests, who happened to be helping the dissenters, turns up dead, she once again finds herself in the middle of a murder mystery in small-town Indiana.

I loved Robbie and her friends - especially her aunt and her little “crew.” They really were the type of people you wanted to just sit down and hang out with - dare I say, eat breakfast with? The characters were all well drawn and different and distinct.

The mystery itself was also very good, if a little obvious. Really, it provided a good atmospheric element for the whole book, which really centers around the conflict with the resort. Adding that life-and-death element really sets the stage and gives the book a little edge. I enjoyed it and it ended well.

If you’re in the mood for a cute cozy that will take your mind off things, look no further. This appears to be a great series to just sit back, relax and enjoy while on a break. But be warned - you will be hungry after reading!
This is my first book that I’ve read in the Country Store Mystery series but I only had to catch up a little bit to figure out who is who. The characters are nicely drawn and layered… and yes, a lot of them are quintessentially cozy-Mystery quirky

Adele and Vera very much fit that definition, and every scene they were in had me grinning from ear to ear. Throw in Buck, too, and you’re sure to be entertained from beginning to end.

The author keeps the story moving, giving us a peek behind the scenes of the restaurant & B&B that Robbie owns as well as the scoop on the latest murder mystery in this small southern Indiana town. You’ll easily feel like you’ve grabbed a table at Pans N’ Pancakes to quietly observe everything that unfolds around you. The mystery and the solving of it were a little slow for me but the rest of the story is so charming & fun that I didn’t care if we meandered a bit to get to the whodunnit.

Bottom Line: Strangled Eggs & Ham brims with clever characters and a delightful small town that’s starting to feel a little too much like Cabot Cove for the heroine’s liking. The plot is multi-dimensional and the “voice” progresses through the pages at a steady pace. Great weekend read!!

(I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book.)
I absolutely loved this book!!!  I have a soft spot for Small Town America and this has that plus great food and a real estate developer wanting to build a luxury resort on the hill with the best view.  Needless to say trouble brews and we are in the middle of a murder investigation.  I am now going to have to go back and read the first five books in the series.
I really enjoyed this cozy mystery by a new-to-me author. Robbie Jordan keeps busy with her restaurant and country store and now she's concerned about her aunt's involvement in a protest against a new resort. The situation becomes more heated when a man is discovered murdered at the site of the future resort and sides are taken for or against the new development.

Thanks to the publisher and to NetGalley for an ARC; all opinions are my own.
Really enjoyed this cozy mystery. Loved the charm of the country store setting and the characters were very real. I read the whole series and hope there are more upcoming. I love being able to follow characters from book to book to see what happens in their lives. Very enjoyable series.
Robbie Jordan’s rustic country store is growing in popularity. But when a dead body appears, it turns out that Robbie’s home-style cooking attracts hungry customers and murder!

While Robbie scrambles through breakfast orders for her expanding clientele at Pans ‘N Pancakes, tempers run as high as the sticky August heat in South Lick, Indiana. Real-estate developer Fiona Closs plans to build a towering luxury resort at one of the most scenic hilltops in Brown County, and not everyone can see the sunny side of the imposing proposition—including Robbie’s furious Aunt Adele, who doesn’t waste a minute concocting protests and road blockades. When tensions boil over and a vocal protester is silenced forever at the resort site, Robbie ditches the griddle to catch the killer. But if slashed tires are any indication, she’ll need to crack this case before her own aunt gets served something deadly next.

The author does a nice job of keeping the story moving at a nice pace so you don't get bored with the story line. The Mystery is well written and has plenty of clues that are spread out throughout the story. There are plenty of suspects who are both for and against the building of the resort so you don't really know who the guilty party is. All of the mysteries threads are nicely woven together into a suspenseful and satisfying conclusion. The book is full of well written, well developed, and charismatic characters who all feel like old friends that you're dropping by to catch up with.

I like how Robbie and her aunt Adele seem to be cut from the same type of cloth, they are both caring, will get involved in any way they can to right a wrong that has happened, and they are both willing to help those who are in need. I did miss having Abe in this book. Robbie seems to be a happier person when she gets to spend time with Abe and his son Sean. I can't wait to read Nacho Average Murder to get a glimpse of what Robbie's teen years were like while growing up in California.

I received an arc of this book from Netgalley and Kensington Books for my review.
The sixth book in the Country Store Mystery series by Maddie Day is Strangled Eggs and Ham.  Robbie, owner of the Pans 'N Pancakes and the newly opened B&B, is happy to have have both of her businesses thriving.  The town is buzzing with news of a proposed resort outside of town.  Some people are in favor while others are completely opposed.  A guest at Robbie's B&B is also a lawyer and offers to help the group trying to stop the resort.  When he is found murdered ahead of a scheduled protest, those involved with the resort at the top suspects.  Several twists and turns kept me guessing until the end.
Strangled Eggs and Ham by Maddie Day is about Robbie Jordan and her rustic country store, Pans ‘N Pancakes,  which is growing in popularity. A real estate developer plans to build a luxury resort but tensions boil over and a protestor is found dead. Robby needs to solve the murder before her flapjacks fall flat. This was an excellent book. I loved the country store and restaurant combo at the center of town. The Plot was good and the characters were friendly. The protestors certainly had an edge. The book was exciting until the end when the killer is caught. Thank you to Net Galley for providing an advanced reader’s copy for review.
Strangled Eggs and Ham, the sixth book in Maddie Day’s Country Store Mystery series finds the citizens of South Lick, Indiana and the surrounding communities at odds with one another.  South Lick and the Brown County area are known for its hills and scenic views.  In fact, tourists from all over come to visit.  Fiona Closs, a real estate developer wants to cash in on the tourism.  Fiona wants to build a luxury resort at the site of one of the best hillside locations in Brown County.  The construction and subsequent opening of the resort will bring in much-needed jobs to the area.  However, at the same time, the construction will mess with the unguarded beauty of the hillside, bring far more people to the area, and affect the ecosystem.

Robbie Jordan has been hearing people talk about the resort at her restaurant/store Pans ‘N Pancakes.  She doesn't have an opinion one way or the other about the resort.  Robbie is surprised to find out her aunt Adele is vehemently opposed to the resort and plans to do something about it.  While casually speaking with one of her B&B guests, Gregory DeGraaf, Robbie mentions the resort and that her aunt and several people are against it.  Gregory, an environmental lawyer on sabbatical offers to represent the group for free.  Everyone is shocked to learn another murder has taken place in South Lick when Jordan's friend Lou discovers Gregory's body at the construction site.

Robbie loves to figure out puzzles.  So, of course, she's curious about who would have killed Gregory and why.  Robbie has learned her lesson and isn't really trying to get involved in the investigation.  However, you know what they say about curiosity.  Before she knows it, Robbie becomes suspicious of several people who frequent her restaurant.  When her aunt becomes a victim of various crimes, Robbie knows the resort and those who want it are at the heart of things.

Strangled Eggs and Ham proved to be a nice little mystery.  Maddie Day did a wonderful job of keeping me guessing until the big reveal.  My biggest complaint with the story is the way that Robbie talks.  I don't know if I ever noticed before or if this something new.  Robbie is a California girl who has only been in Indiana for a short time, approximately a little less than a year.  It's completely possible for her to pick up some Midwest sayings.  However, she is in her 30s and at times, sounds like she's a 60 to 70-year-old person.  Regardless, I'm looking forward to the next book in this series.
Strangled Eggs and Ham is the sixth installment in the Country Store Mysteries series featuring cook and cookware shop owner Robbie Jordan, set in the small town of South Lick, Indiana.  Temperaments and temperatures are both sizzling hot with the possibility that developer Fiona Closs may actually get the necessary permits to construct a high end luxury resort on the most scenic piece of land in South Lick.

Robbie's Aunt Adele is furious about the proposed development and she and her friends have joined forces to protest and picket the site, she's also managed to garner support from the folks renting rooms upstairs from the restaurant.  But some of the townspeople are looking forward to the potential for new jobs and a boost to the local economy, so while tempers flare, Robbie tries to stay neutral.  That is until one of Robbie's guests, a lawyer whose been helping Aunt Adele, turns up dead.

Robbie quickly finds herself drawn into yet another hunt for a killer and the target of some nasty vandalism in this fast paced plot.  A well rounded mystery with the return of series regulars and mouthwatering recipes.

I received an advanced copy of Strangled Eggs and Ham from NetGalley via Kensington Publishing.  While not required to write a review I am more than happy to offer my honest opinion.
In the hot August heat of South Lick, Indiana tempers are running high. Fiona Cross has plans to build a luxury resort on one of the most scenic hilltops in the county.  Several residents are opposed to this including Robbie’s Aunt Adele. Adele and a group have decided to protest this construction with a road blockade. With already one murder Robbie has to help catch a killer despite her running her growing business to keep her aunt out of the killer’s clutches.

This is the 6th book in this series, I have only read the first couple in the series before now. I had no problems picking this series back up so the book can be enjoyed as a stand-alone mystery. Although it's been a little while since I read the last book I felt like I was coming back to a beloved series. The characters are more developed and complexed but still the same personable and quirky characters they have been from the beginning. The storyline is well written and plotted. The setting of Pans and Pancakes reminds me of a country store in the community I grew up in that I loved to visit. The mystery moves at a quick pace with only a few suspects but there are plenty of twists and turns and red herrings to keep the reader guessing until the big reveal. If you like recipes, there are recipes included in the book. I recommend this book to cozy mystery lovers, and I plan on catching up on the books I missed.

I voluntarily agreed to read a copy of this book supplied by Netgalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own and in no way have been influenced.
The grass is always greener, especially when it's a parcel of land that a developer wants to replace with a high end resort. Robbie's Aunt Adele is the leader of the resistance group wanting to save the town of South Lick from urbanization. A visiting eco lawyer and bike enthusiast is more than happy to wade in and give fight, at least until he is found dead on the property in question. The developer is your typical city slicker, Fiona Closs, polished and all about the progress. Aunt Adele is your typical down to earth matron who doesn't back down to anyone or anything, which has Robbie worried for Adele's safety as the protesting starts. I'm not sure how Robbie manages to run a successful restaurant with delectable dishes (recipes included YUM), B&B, country store, and find time for a steady guy plus a little side sleuthing.  Although, it would seem that local law enforcement does help to keep the bottom line healthy since Officer Buck is pretty much a fixture when it comes to meal times offering both tidbits of info and tidbits of comedy and local flavor. The story was as engaging as its predecessors and I look forward to the next installment.
I am now a fan of the Country Store series!  This was the first book I've read and it will definitely not be the last.  The characters are so well developed and I loved how they were so different, lovable, quirky, interesting.  The mystery grabs you from the beginning and you are quickly turning the pages to see what will happen next.  With the small town feel, the aspect of a small B&B and restaurant, and the dynamics of the relationships, you are in for a delightful visit to South Lick, Indiana.

You will assume you have figured out who is guilty of murder, there are enough twists and turns, random clues, and surprises that you wonder if you are correct.  But it's worth staying invested in the book until the last page!

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
This is by far one of my favorite books in this series. Adele was hilarious and I always love going back to the country store. My favorite part of this series is always the characters and setting. The mystery of someone being killed because of a property development is nothing new, yet there was wonderful twists and turns that had me guessing until the very end about who the killer was. I highly recommend this book and series. If you haven't read the other books in the series you can still read this book and not feel lost.
I really enjoyed this book I found the mystery interesting and the characters engaging, The story had many twists and turns and keep me interested until the end
This was another fun mystery with Robbie and the gang. I thoroughly enjoyed this story which revolves around a proposed resort going in near South Lick. The book moved well and had a few surprises along the way. Mostly I like that reading one of these books is like I am visiting old friends. A easy fun read that leaves me happy once I have closed the book.

I received this book from NetGalley and was not required to post a positive review. All thoughts are my own.
This is a fun series. I love Robbie, she is a character that you can relate to. The setting of the small town of Salt Lick, Indiana adds to the coziness. The mystery is well plotted and draws you in from the beginning.
I loved this newest installment in The Country Store Mystery series.  This cozy has everything that makes a great story for me.   Great believable. Charming characters.  A small town setting, recipes, an animal or two.  A nice mystery that keeps me guessing.  I cant wait for the next book.
I alternated between reading and listening to the audiobook for this addition to the series. I much prefer to read the books than listen as I am not a fan of the narrator on the audiobook. She makes Robbie sound a lot older than she is and it kept throwing me off as I thought Aunt Vera was talking.

Book six is a strong addition to the series. Plenty of red-herrings to keep you guessing who the murderer could be. You can read each book as a standalone with no problems. Day does such a good job of describing the area around Bloomington, Indiana that you can't help wish you could drop in and visit with Robbie and eat some pancakes at Pans-n-Pancakes.

A clean read in that there is no foul language, sexual situations or overly grisly murder scenes.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher, Kensington, through NetGalley. Any and all opinions expressed in the above review are entirely my own.
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Jeanie

Robbie’s Pans ‘N Pancakes is the kind of place that makes me yearn for small town living, country stores, and breakfast restaurants. I enjoy being back in South Lick, Indiana and seeing how there is never a dull moment in this town. In the ten months since opening the store, there have been six murders. Robbie Jordan, breakfast chef extraordinaire, has helped solve each of them, especially when she or a loved one is the suspect or are at risk.

Pans ‘N Pancakes was formerly a country store. When it was up for sale, Robbie’s mother’s sister, Aunt Adele, talked her into purchasing it. Robbie’s dream has been realized, to have the breakfast and lunch restaurant as the heart of the town, a B&B upstairs, and retain a bit of the store with antique cooking implements, some for sale and some for display. Twenty-eight-year-old Roberta “Robbie” Jordan is content with her life, having moved from California after the sudden loss of her mother and now dating Abe, the beset guy she could ever imagine meeting.

Aunt Adele, a protester back in the 60’s, is planning to lead a non-violent protest against the proposed resort and spa that will be built on the most picturesque hill in the county. Closs Creek Resort, named after the developer, Fiona Closs, will increase the influx of strangers from all over the country, but being outside of town might not bring more business to the town. It will bring new jobs, but at the cost of loss of forest, wildlife, and increased traffic. Robbie chooses to stay out of the debate as she could see the benefits of both sides, including jobs for those who need work closer to home.

One of the guests at Robbie’s B&B, Gregory DeGraaf, came with an biking club from Indianapolis, and stayed for an extra week after they left. He and Lou, one of Robbie’s friends, have hit it off and are spending time together. Gregory is a real estate and environmental attorney who has a reputation for fighting against developers like Fiona Closs and winning. He has offered his services for Adele and those who want to fight the construction of resort to make use of while he is in town. Fiona was not happy to meet him, nor were others involved in the resort. They actually began work on the site before the planning board had done their final approval sign-off, and a cease and desist order was issued.

The following day, Gregory is found dead at the job site, murdered. Somebody strangled him. Not a good day for the local police lieutenant, Buck, to accidentally order strangled eggs when he went for breakfast at Robbie’s! She understood, as she and her mom used to call them strangled eggs. Vandalism begins to occur at Adele’s farm and to her vehicle. Afraid for Adele’s life with her high-visibility, Robbie was determined to find out who killed Gregory. After all, Gregory was a strong, fit bicyclist, not one to easily be overcome by another.

The characters are very well-defined. We learn something new about the primary characters in every novel; even so, this is like going to visit old friends rather than meeting new friends. Each of the regulars is likable, even if some are a bit odd, such as Detective Oscar Thompson. I particularly enjoy the wit and wisdom of Buck. He knows more southern sayings than several other folks put together. It would be a mistake to see think he is less intelligent based on his speech, as he knows far more than some give him credit for. It was a delight to meet Adele’s childhood friend Vera, in town to join the protest.

I liked this sixth helping of Country Store Mysteries. The characters keep getting better, the setting reminds me of the hot Midwest summers, and the mystery is challenging. This reader couldn’t help wondering who she was missing when thinking through who the killer could be. In a way, the resolution was a surprise due to how the crime actually occurred. I highly recommend this to fans of the author and series, and those who like cozy mysteries with delicious recipes included.

*OBS would like to thank the publisher for supplying a free copy of this title in exchange for an honest review*