Strangled Eggs and Ham

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Jun 2019

Strangled Eggs and Ham by Maddie Day is book six in the Country Store Mysteries. It could be read as a standalone.  As usual, this is a great, easy to read cozy that will have you guessing until the end.  This is one of my favorites.
When a developer is looking to build a resort on the outskirts of town, it splits the town in two. Some are all for it, while others, including Robbie's aunt, are totally against it.
When then is a murder at the proposed site a lot of fingers are pointed at Aunt Adele and Robbie knows she must jump in and find the guilty party.
The main characters are relatable and the addition of a quirky character adds to the group. There is humor, friendship, a great setting, and a touch of romance. I want to have breakfast at Pans and Pancakes! Recipes are included.
I was given an ARC by  Netgalley and Kensington Books for an honest review.
How well do mysteries sell contrasted with the rest of fiction? An online article on the NPD website stated sales of mysteries rose by 5% in 2018, contrasted with the main body of fiction which decreased. Perhaps the rise in mysteries is due to excellent writers such as Maddie Day (pseud.). Day has mastered the art of a cozy mystery.  As many know, Day is responsible for several ongoing cozy series. Strangled Eggs and Ham is Book 6 of the Country Store Series.

Since 2015, Day has treated us with Robbie's adventures. Set in the fictitious town of Salt Lick, in the very real Brown county Indiana, Robbie has moved from a California new comer to a trusted restaurant and B & B owner. In this book, the town has become divided over the possibility of a new resort being built on one of the beautiful hills overlooking Lake Lemon. Robbie is able to see both sides of the argument. On one hand more employment is welcome, or the other there would be a huge environmental impact from the creation of a luxury resort.

Enter Gregory DeGraaf, who has caught the eye of Lou, Robbie's dear friend. A fellow bike rider and lawyer who practices environmental law, he offers to help the NIMBY group. Robbie is a bit relieved as this group is headed by the forthright Aunt Adele. Sadly, it is Lou, still vulnerable, who finds Gregory's body. Will this be another violent death? Will Lou be a main suspect?

One of Day's strength's as an author is the realism she brings to her plots. Robbie does not drop everything an enmesh herself into solving the mystery. She spends most of her time within her workday life. As a food lover, I enjoyed learning about a breakfast restaurant when not everything runs smoothly. In addition, Day has a PhD. in linguistics. This background allows her to subtly include the dialect spoken by residents of Brown county. One feels they could be sitting in the Pans 'n Pancakes listening to the chatter over the sound of clinking silverware.

Day plays fair with her readers. The clues are there for a solution to the puzzle. Enough misleading clues are also there to make solving the puzzle challenging. In addition, the food described was so tantalizing, I had to do some baking. The recipes are easy to follow,  providing some new dishes for summer.

Highly recommended.
The development of resorts often sets off bad feelings in small towns, even South Lick, Indiana.  Robbie's got a lot going on at her country store/pancake place.  Her aunt Adele (love Adele) is really against the resort- she owns a B&B.  You might expect the murdered person here would be the developer but it's actually Gregory, an environmental attorney who was staying at Adele's.  Robbie and Adele of course look into it.  This is a well done cozy, with a nice small town setting and good characters.  It's not too twisty and there's good humor.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  Don't worry if you haven't read the earlier ones- this is fine as a standalone.
It's a hot August in South Lick, Indiana and Robbie Jordan is busy running her Pans ‘N Pancakes eatery as well as running a B&B facility with her spare bedrooms. The townsfolk are divided about the building of the luxury Closs Creek Resort at a scenic hilltop in Brown County. Robbie's feisty Aunt Adele is leading the "No" campaign and is mobilizing the troops for planned protests and road blockades. Then one of Robbie's B&B guests, environmental lawyer Gregory DeGraaf, is found strangled to death at the proposed resort site. DeGraaf had offered to provide pro bono advice to the protestors so was that why he was killed? Robbie has to juggle dealing with employee shortages at Pans 'N Pancakes to find the killer.

This was a quick fun read and another enjoyable entry in the Country Store mystery series.

I received an eARC via Netgalley and Kensington with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read this book and provided this review.
Another wonderful visit to Brown County, Indiana. Believable and interesting characters. Some exciting moments. I look forward to reading the next one.
Thank to Netgalley and the publisher for the chance to read this book!

Hungry for mystery? Haha I couldn't resist! I sure was, after reading about some of the yummy things getting churned out in this kitchen! The problem with themed mysteries is you open the fridge to a piece of KFC from the week before and some dubious looking celery while the main character whips up masterpieces! -sigh- and the mystery was pretty good as well!

I liked the host of characters in this small town, and that we got a bit of a look at the murder victim before he died. It made Robbie's quest that much more believable, and added to the mystery. It didn't matter that this was book 6; it was easy to fall into and enjoy.

This is yet another great mystery series, and yes, I went and did groceries after finishing. Five stars!
Strangled Eggs and Ham is Book 6 in the Country Store Mysteries. I really enoy this series. I love hanging out with Robbie in her Country Store Pans and Pancakes. Isn't that a great name for a store? In this edition, there is a lot going on with a new resort possibly coming to town and then a murder occurs.

The story is very realistic. In any town when a big resort is possibly coming there are always two different sides and EVERYONE has an option. The mystery was great, with no lack of suspects.

I really love how this story flows and we learn more about Robbie's life , which is expertly intertwined with a great mystery.
It’s hard not to love this book! Robbie, Lou and Adele are so easy to love, and feel like people I’d want to hang out with. It was a solid mystery that felt possible. When a resort builder comes to town emotions run high with people who need the work the resort would bring and from people who want to preserve the beauty of small town life. I enjoyed reading about a small town restaurant and I’m looking forward to trying some of the recipes!

I was provided an advanced reader copy in exchange for my honest review!
Strangled Eggs and Ham by Maddie Day is the 6th book in the Country Store Mystery series, and another delightful book. Robbie Jordan owns Pans N Pancakes in South Lick, Indiana. Pans N Pancakes is a country store selling antique cookware along with a diner serving breakfast and lunch. Robbie is a likable character, that makes you want to go into Pans N Pancakes for a breakfast and a chat. As the town argues over a real estate developer's plan to build a high rise on the most scenic hilltops.  When a murder occurs on the land to be developed, Robbie is determined to find the truth.   I strongly recommend this book/series for cozy mystery book fans. The story is fast paced with a lot of character development and mystery that keeps your attention. I look forward to reading the in the next book in this series.

I reviewed a digital arc provided by NetGalley and Kensington Publishing. Thank you.
I received this copy of Strangled Eggs and Ham friends m Kensington through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really liked this mystery! The characters were charming! The villain was discovered because of their bad manners. (Least spoilery way to put it)
Strangled Eggs and Ham is the sixth book in Maddie Day’s A Country Store Mystery series and is a clean read with no adult language, graphic violence, or sexually explicit situations.  The storyline is well plotted and flows smoothly, and the affable characters are three-dimensional.  There’s no shortage of twists, turns, and red herrings to keep the reader engaged and guessing.

Robbie Jordan owns a café/antique cookware shop, Pans ‘N Pancakes, in South Lick, Indiana.  She’s finished remodeling the second floor to create three rooms for a small Bed and Breakfast.  A real-estate developer, Fiona Closs McGill, plans to open Closs Creek Resort on one of the most scenic hilltops in Brown County, and tension is brewing in South Lick between those for and those against the proposed resort.  Robbie tries to stay neutral in the current cause of jobs versus environmental issues, but Aunt Adele is leading the fight against the development.  One of Robbie’s B&B guests, Gregory DeGraaf, a real estate and environmental law attorney who is on sabbatical, offers his services pro bono to Aunt Adele and the NIMBY (not in my back yard) group.  Like Robbie and her friend, Lou Perlman, Gregory is a biking enthusiast.  Gregory and Lou made plans to go biking together.  Lou was running late, and when she showed up at the proposed resort site, where they had agreed to meet, she discovered his strangled body.  Robbie loves a good mystery and solving puzzles and can’t stop herself from asking questions and doing a little snooping.  She shares her findings with Detective Oscar Thompson and Lieutenant Buck Bird.

I received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley and voluntarily reviewed it.
More jobs versus saving scenic environment?  This is the debate going on in the 6th installment of the Country Store Mystery series.  Robbie Jordan runs Pan N Pancakes and is trying to stay neutral as tempers are running high over a proposal to build a luxury resort at one of the most scenic spots in South Lick, Indiana.  As Robbie tries to maintain her neutrality, her Aunt Adele is leading the charge against the development and when one of her B&B guests is found dead at the site then Robbie gets involved as she fears for her Aunt Adele.  Solid group of characters and the debate on the development was realistic and I just love the way Robbie handles everything.  There are several possible suspects and you figure it out when the author wants you too.  Keep this series going.
I received this ARC via Netgalley and Kensington Books in return for an honest review.  This is the 6th book in this series and I'm happy to say that it is easily read as a stand-alone (great, since I'd not read the previous ones).  I enjoyed this story and look forward to more adventures in this small Indiana town.  Robbie Jordon owns the Pans N' Pancakes restaurant, serving breakfast and lunch six days a week.  She lives above the restaurant and has three rooms that are B&B.  Ms. Day writes well; her characters are clearly defined; the mystery is well-done; and the descriptions are vivid (I don't think I want to be in Indiana in August!).  And, the recipes that Ms. Day provides sound wonderful (Southern Jam cake!!).  The mystery starts when a proposed resort development and the death of one of her B&B guests collide.  Robbie's aunt is organizing a grass roots protest of the resort and this raises concerns from those both for and against the development.  If you like solid cosy mysteries and interesting characters, you'll enjoy this book.
This is one 9f my favorite series and it hard to put down . Robibie owns a b&b in Indiana where she has family. In this book her  aunt adele is trying to stop a resort from being built and robbies friend discovered the body. They are now trying to figure out who done it Buck and oscar reach out to robbie for any clues she has.
Robbie Jordan, owner of country store pans and pancakes, has found herself in the middle of a nasty dispute involving the potential construction of a new resort that would directly impact the local environment.  Although she is trying to stay neutral and respect both sides of the issue, she finds it difficult to keep her distance when her Aunt Adele becomes involved.  Adele is in the midst of organizing a protest march against the resort developer and joins forces with one of  the guest currently residing at the bed and breakfast.  When the same woman ends up dead.  Robbie finds herself in the middle of yet another investigation. Although there are plenty of suspects, there are no strong motives or clues pointing to one specific culprit.
I enjoyed this newest addition to the Country Store mystery series.  I always enjoy visiting Robbie's country store and catching up on the lives of the locals.  The delicious descriptions of pancakes and other treats in Robbie's restaurant are always a delight. The mid west setting and local colorful characters  feel authentic and realistic, like you've just landed in Indiana.  I also appreciate that Robbie does not abandon her store in order to play detective but instead finds time after work or when the restaurant is closed to conduct her investigations.  The mystery was well thought out and cleverly crafted.  The extra twist at the end also kept me on my toes for the length of the novel.  I really hope this series continues so I can visit Pans and Pancakes again.
Maddie Day
Strangled eggs and ham.
Love all Maddie Day books and this one is no exception.
Aunt Adele is a loveable , strong fun character, with her friend Vera they organise a protest group with people from the town who are against the proposal of a new resort .
A few twist and a dead body Robbie is on the case to find a killer..
A great read couldn’t put it down .
Many thanks to Kensington and Nettgalley for advance copy for a honest review.
Definitely recommend this book.
STRANGLED EGGS AND HAM, the sixth book in the Country Store Mystery series by Maddie Day, brings the reader back to America’s heartland, Indiana. She effectively captures the setting, bringing the location and characters to life, both the good and the bad. The colloquialisms and Midwest accents the characters use sound authentic, and I felt the need to turn on my own air conditioning as they dealt with August heat and humidity. Protagonist Robbie Jordan is a very capable heroine. As owner of the Country Store Pans ‘N Pancakes restaurant and B & B, she has her hands full with hungry customers and overnight guests. But her life becomes even more hectic when a guest is murdered after he agrees to help Robbie’s elderly Aunt Adele stage a protest against a resort development.

I adored the character of Aunt Adele and her protest is quite a hoot. She’s feisty and willing to get involved to right a wrong. At the same time, she’s a caring person helping those in need. It’s obvious that her niece, Robbie, has the same admirable qualities that are displayed throughout the tale. Despite her commitment to working hard and making her business a success, Jordan knows she needs to step in and help find the killer, especially after her aunt is threatened. There were plenty of clues sprinkled throughout the story, while the clash between the residents over the pros and cons of the planned resort brought an emotional component to the story. With a suspenseful reveal, the threads of the mystery were woven together into one satisfying conclusion.

Robbie and her Pans ‘N Pancakes crew, whip up some delectable dishes for the customers. So many mouthwatering dishes are mentioned and fortunately for the reader, Ms. Day provides a variety of recipes at the back of the book.
Strangled Eggs and Ham is the 6th book in the Country Store Mystery series by Maddie Day. Even though this is the first book I have read in the series I was able to follow along easily so it can be read as a stand alone.  I really enjoyed it and practically read in one sitting and have since purchased the other books in the series.

Robbie Jordan’s rustic country store is growing in popularity. But when a dead body appears, it turns out that Robbie’s home-style cooking attracts hungry customers—and murder!

While Robbie scrambles through breakfast orders for her expanding clientele at Pans ‘N Pancakes, tempers run as high as the sticky August heat in South Lick, Indiana. Real-estate developer Fiona Closs plans to build a towering luxury resort at one of the most scenic hilltops in Brown County, and not everyone can see the sunny side of the imposing proposition—including Robbie’s furious Aunt Adele, who doesn’t waste a minute concocting protests and road blockades. When tensions boil over and a vocal protester is silenced forever at the resort site, Robbie ditches the griddle to catch the killer. But if slashed tires are any indication, she’ll need to crack this case before her own aunt gets served something deadly next . . .

I love the setting of South Lick, Indiana and the quirky characters. The protagonist Robbie is strong and independent and i especially love her aunt Adele who is spunky as all get out.   The characters are well rounded and seem real as I could relate to each of them.

There were enough twists to keep me intrigued and wanting to know how it ends. The plot and story were good and seemed to flow at a good pace. This has been added to my favourite series pile, I highly recommend to anyone who enjoys a cozy filled with down home characters and a small town atmosphere.

I requested and received an advanced readers copy from Kensington and NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I absolutely loved this book. I have read each book in this series so far, and each one is always my favorite until the next one comes out.
Robbie Jordan is such a fun character, she is easy to like and has a great sense of family and friendships.
This story pulled at my heartstrings and I found myself upset with the circumstances surrounding the murder.
Reading this book was like visiting old friends and I was truly sad when it ended.
On the bright side, I’m sure I will be visiting with Robbie again and I am definitely looking forward to that.
Another awesome book by Maddie Day. I love reading about Robbie and her gang. This was a great story with arguments on both sides of the issue. I liked that Robbie was on her own this time without Abe, it made her seem more strong and independent. As always, love Adele and her spirit. Good mystery. Didn't see the ending coming until it was revealed. Can't wait for the next book!