Strangled Eggs and Ham

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Jun 2019

An enjoyable story. I enjoyed especially Adele and Vera characters. It's an easy read. #StrangledEggsAndHam #NetGalley
Maddie Day continues her excellent work in the latest offering in A Country Store Mystery Series.  "Strangled Eggs and Ham' has Robbie attempting to solve the murder of one of her B&B guests.  The story concerns competing factions to the building of a resort just outside of town, the opposition being led by Aunt Adele.  The writing is so expert I actually feel like I am in Indiana (a place I've never been).  Each character is well drawn, as well as the physical surroundings of the setting.  I was led in many directions, and each time I thought I had the murder solved I was proven wrong.  To me, that is the hallmark of a great mystery book.  I highly recommend the series and  look forward to many more.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.  The opinions expressed in this review are entire my own.
In Strangled Eggs and Ham - the 6th Country Store Mystery - we return to South Lick, Indiana, where Robbie Jordan is living her best life running her B&B/country store/cafe, biking, enjoying some whiskey and crossword puzzles, and solving murders. A real estate developer is planning to build a luxury resort in South Lick, and tempers are flaring as the town chooses sides - those who support the resort (or at least need the work), and those who oppose it. Robbie's aunt Adele is vehemently opposed to the resort, and beings to organize the protesters. When the protesters' legal counsel - who also happens to be one of Robbie's B&B guests - is found strangled at the site of the proposed resort, Robbie begins to investigate. I love Robbie and South Lick, and this installment of the series did not disappoint. And I still maintain that this series needs to be adapted by the Hallmark Mystery Channel!
This is such a fun series and I enjoy each new book.  Ms. Day has created a wonderful community and set it in the Midwest town of South Lick Indiana.  One of the reasons I love cozy mysteries is that they are so character driven.  However, I am not a fan when the author skimps on the mystery.  Ms. Day's series hits all the points I look for  in a cozy series.  These are strong, quirky, well round, three dimensional characters.  They setting is perfect as I live in the Midwest and tend to identify with stories set there.  The author does a great job of capturing the small town feel while peppering the dialogue with authentic Midwest accents that give the characters and setting a realistic feel.  The mystery is well done and is woven nicely throughout the entire story.  While the identity of the killer was not a surprise, the author does a good job of dropping hints and clues that threw me off track.  She also threw in a little twist during the reveal that I wasn't expecting.  I always walk away from a Country Story Mystery having been entertained and wanting more.
What a deliciously fantastic read! Just when you think you know who is causing all the drama and mystery, the author throws you a curve ball, then another curveball for good measure. This series is so engaging, and this latest installment was no different. There are so many elements that makes this book amazing. The characters, the relationship development between them, the circumstances the author throws in to trick the reader, and all the amazing sounding food. This series is one that hopefully stands the test of time and one I hope will continue on and on.
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley and voluntarily reviewed it.

I love this series and am always happy when a new book releases and I can spend some time again with Robbie in her country store Pans and Pancakes. In Strangled Eggs and Ham Robbie has her hands full again, business is going well so she has a lot of work. Then tensions are brewing with a potential new resort coming to town and not everyone is happy with it. And then someone ends up death and the mystery starts in earnest.

I liked the mystery in this book. The tensions with the possible resort felt realistic and with two sides and lots of people having an opinion for or against the resort. I liked how from the start there are 4 main suspects and a few other potential ones, but no one has a solid alibi and at the same time there is no strong evidence pointing to anyone. And that's how it stays for most of the book, with more clues and information being uncovered, but till the end I wasn't quite sure who had done it. I was thinking in the right direction and it made sense when the reveals happen at the end.

Besides the solid mystery, I really like the every daily life style of this series. We see Robbie working at her restaurant, biking and just living her life. While it might sound bland, I find it really interesting to read about Robbie's daily life and how the store is doing. I also like how Robbie isn't running away from work to investigate, she only investigates on her free day or after her work and sometimes she picks up conversation or clues while she is working.

Robbie is a great main character, she acts responsible and handled the mystery in a smart manner. She rarely runs off anywhere along when she knows it might be dangerous. And she communicates well with the police, who also are quite capable. I like her interactions with the police and how Buck comes to eat at her restaurant quite regularly as well. I also like to read how she handles her business and how her bed and breakfast and her store is doing.

There are a bunch of familiar side characters again and a bunch of new ones who are relevant to the mystery. Robbie's aunt Adele plays an important role in this book as she's the leader of the anti resort group and Robbie is afraid she might get herself in danger.

To summarize: this was such a fun read and this continues to be one of my favorite cozy mysteries. This one has a solid mystery and a main character who is likable, smart and capable. There also is enough of Robbie's daily life and other plot lines sprinkled in. I just enjoy reading about Robbie's life and her pans and pancake store. I liked how the mystery was set up, there are some main suspects form the start and those stay suspects till the end when you finally find out who did it. All in all another great installment in this series and I am already looking forward to the next book.
One of my favorite series that is always a good read and this one is a great addition. Love the country store  and small town setting. The small town tackles big issues in this mystery. Well written with strong, interesting characters, good food. and a well developed plot.
The six installment of the Country Store mysteries finds Robbie Jordan trying to stay neutral in the current cause of jobs versus environmental but it is difficult as Aunt Adele is leading the fight against the development of the hilltop cutting the trees and building condos. One of her B&B guest is found murdered at the site. There a protest of stopping traffic, angry tempers, a shooting at the traffic blockage vandalism, and endangering animals It is handled well-making story thought-provoking. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK AND SERIES.
Recipes used in Robbie's restaurant are included.

Disclosure: Thanks to Kensington Books for a copy through NetGalley. The opinions expressed are my own.
Kindle Copy for Review from NetGalley and Kensington Books.

I received a free, advance copy of this book and this is my unbiased and voluntary review.

The owner of a rustic country store watches her store grow in popularity as she offers home style cooking to appease her growing customers.  She does not expect to be serving up hot murders as well on her menu.

Temperatures flare up not only from the kitchen heat when a real estate developer wants to build a towering resort.  But not everyone likes the idea; especially, the developer’s aunt who stages protests against it as well as road blockages.

Soon the developer will meet his demise.  Our store owner who will step in the case and try to crack the before she gets more than a slashed tire.  Quaint read of small town life.
Strangled Eggs and Ham is a nice small town cozy mystery. The storyline keeps your attention and the characters are interesting. Well written.
This is a really good cozy series, and this one was one of the best.  Strong characters, good mystery, and delicious  foods, come together to create a really good read.
A proposed resort is heading to South Lick and the town is divided between those who want to keep the mountain green and protect the wildlife and those that need the jobs the resort will bring.  Robbie’s Aunt Adele is in the opposition camp and forms a group to protest the resort, but Robbie is remaining neutral as she depends on the locals to keep her business afloat.

Turns out one of Robbie B&B guests is a hot shot environmental lawyer and he’s wiling to provide his services to Aunt Adele and the group for free.  It seems the developer is more than familiar with the attorney and Robbie’s BFF, Lou, is smitten by him.  Before much can be done with the resort or the budding romance with Lou, the man is found strangled on the resort property.  Soon after threats begin coming Aunt Adele’s way and Robbie finds herself doing what she does best, trying to protect the people she loves…and putting herself in harms way.  It’s time to find a killer as the town awaits the planning board’s decision.

I truly enjoy this series, which is one of only a handful that make me feel like I am spending time visiting with the characters.  The characters are vibrant and the South Lick comes to life on the pages.  Don’t miss the recipes that are included.
cozy-mystery, indiana, amateur-sleuth, law-enforcement, murder, small-business, small-town, family-dynamics

***** Great characters and and a cohesive mystery plot. The concerns and lingo of the characters are classic small town everywhere. And the problems of the small business owner who is the central character are also too familiar to many of us. I have not read any of the other books in the series but that was no deterrent to enjoying this book that I finished in about six hours total. Loved it!
I requested and received a free ebook copy from Kensington Books via NetGalley. Thank you!
In this latest book, there seems to be an upheaval in the small Indiana town.  There is a conflict about the proposal of a new resort being built nearby.  Robbie's aunt, Adele and friend Vera seem to be on one while others in town support the building of the resort.  Despite Robbie's attempt to remain neutral about this issue, she keeps getting drawn into altercations involving the most strident of dissidents.  Because of this she is right in the middle of all the action and has a firsthand seat to collect clues.  Clues that will help solve the mystery of who murdered the environmental attorney and left his body at the proposed resort site.  Robbie seems to become the target of someone's anger- does it have to do with murder or just someone who sees her as holding a opposing stance on the resort issue?  Thoroughout the book, we follow Robbie during her day.  I have to say, I was tired for her after reading everything she did at work in the restaurant.  I would like the author to keep reminding us exactly how small this town is because the perspective is different than that of someone from a larger city.  At times the country talk got to be almost a caricature but it did illustrate the small town atmosphere.  This was an easy read, I felt drawn into the town and characters.