Start Your Own Freelance Writing Business

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Jul 2019

As a writer myself, I was curious to see what kind of advice and tips this book could offer that I wasn't aware of or already doing. As it turns out, quite a lot!
The book is jam-packed with advice, practical tips from everything to starting up your freelance business, to acquiring clients, the types of writing jobs available, what to be aware of, the wrong and the right clients, securing repeat jobs, standing out in the crowd, tax advice, advice on company structure and much, much more.
Honestly, when I was about 40% into the book, I thought, she must have covered everything now, but she kept going and I kept learning more and more.
This book is seriously good and indispensable if you are considering to start out as a freelance writer, but also those who have been working in the field for a while will be able to pick up plenty of good ideas on how to go about their business even better.
Highly recommended.
A thorough look at how to set up a freelance writing business, this book offers a signifcant amount of information in easily digestable chapters. Although it had a US business slant, only a few places here and there were specific only to the US, so it will prove helpful to those in other countries as well. I particularly liked the chapters on niches and on pitching.
Honest and in-depth advice for reaching your full potential.  This advice is presented in easy to follow language that can be broken up and applied in pieces at a time.
This book was filled with a lot of helpful information. It did make it seem like it was easier than it is to get in to the writing business.
If you're at the very beginning of your freelance writing career or if you're trying to determine if it's the right career for you, this book can be super helpful. It explains the traits you need to succeed as a freelance writer (such as being a self-motivated worker, liking to work solo on projects, and preferring flexible schedules). It also offers the brass tack basics of freelance writing, including how to get clients, what your rates should be, and how to manage the business aspects (such as contracts and running your own website). Although I've already been a freelance writer for many years, I still found the book to be valuable. There were several websites mentioned that can be utilized to make your writing and aspects of your business even stronger, and I bookmarked those for future reference. Someone with more experience in the field might not find any huge meaningful insights and some sections can feel a little repetitive, but overall it's a great look into the freelance writing industry.
I'm sure this book will prove helpful to those without insights into running their own business or who have no idea where to start with a freelance career in writing.  It certainly looks to provide a holistic approach and suggests there will be an increasing demand for this skill set.

Many of the topics were familiar to me as I run a marketing business., ie writing is a key aspect of brand storytelling and so I was reading this in order to gain more insights into a  freelance writing business specifically.  On this level, I didn't find it as helpful

While there is really good information contained in the text,  I also found it repetitive, eg: "You're going to spend 80 to 90 percent of your time marketing," then a little further along,.."You'll spend most of your time marketing..."

I got 50% of the way through the book and didn't feel compelled to get to the end.
I read half of the book. The rest I kind of skipped. It was fine reading but many things were just common sense. I needed more "juicy" information. Otherwise it was OK.
I thought this was a very helpful book for anyone wanting to start a freelance writing business. It covered all the basics and even provided a list of helpful resources at the end. My only problem was the way the pitching chapter was written, seemed a little disorganized but the information was very relevant and important. I'd recommend this book to anyone who wanted to be a freelance writer.
After just having read a book about getting into ghostwriting that was actually an extended advertisement for the author's digital products, I so appreciate a book like this that gives detailed, actionable information about how to start your own freelance writing business. The book begins with a snapshot of what exactly freelance writing is and what it looks like today. The authors also list the attributes you should have or be able to develop to be a good freelance writer. One chapter details what a typical day would look like. Several chapters talk about the more business aspects, like legalities, taxes,  setting rates, and business setup. A good portion is taken up with the marketing aspect, from how to launch your business to how to pitch yourself to clients. There are specific chapters (and sections within most chapters) about how to work effectively with clients, including how to cultivate good clients and what to do when you get bad ones. They even talk about how to expand your business by becoming a virtual assistant or a content strategist or providing editorial services and even coaching and mentoring. As you can tell just from my brief description, the authors provide a large amount of information on a variety of topics that any would-be freelance writer would find helpful.
This was an informative book. However, common knowledge tells us that anyone can create a website for $10/month. Anyone can take to social media to campaign and gain followers. I felt this book gave me the same advice and tips I could find online myself, for free. So for me, the book fell flat. I did think it was easy to read, and was written well.
This book offers some great advice and tips about starting your own freelancing business. The book is well researched and well written.
A good updated version of this book.
Interesting pointers and a must read for anyone thinking about starting their own freelancing writing business.
Some information can be skipped over or skimmed.