Jasmine Crown of Kings

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 May 2019

I was immediately drawn to the cover of this book. Jasmine is a striking hero and the artwork is beautiful. In the story, Jasmine becomes more a standard superhero than she is striking, unfortunately. It's a worthwhile read, but I would prioritize a different female superhero.
A superhero treatment of the Arabic myths of Aladdin and Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves ala the Grimm Universe.  Jasmine used to be djinn and now must stop some crown from being assembled or a Scorpion King knockoff will return.  Ali Baba and an endless supply of forty thieves cannon fodder also appear.  After reading this, I can't believe how much I enjoyed Mackie's Ghost Rider run in the 90's.  This is some terrible writing.
This was a very entertaining book and I very much enjoyed it. I loved the art style and I was very happy that Jasmine wasn't wearing a glorified bikini or some other nonsense. She was a fantastic, badass lady who kicked butt throughout the book. I really liked this take on the classic Arabian Nights story. Having Jasmine be a jinn instead of the princess was a nice change of pace from other adaptations of that story. I'm excited to see more of this and I hope there will be more volumes to check out soon. Overall, I would highly recommend this to fans of fantasy comics and if you're a fan of Arabian Nights or the Aladdin movie definitely try it out!
This one wasn't for me -i have to admit. I wanted to be intrigued by the story, but it was quite stunted and i just didn't like the art style, which really took me out of it.
Not for me, but has potential.
This book has good art and cool ideas. Unfortunately, the execution strongly lacks. I just don't understand why they explain and explicitly tell EVERYTHING on-panel. Jasmine tells about her past as a jinn, villains spend most of the time on internal monologues. Timelines don't gel. Things remain unclear.

In short - solid art, poor storytelling.

ARC through NetGalley.
Great artwork with bright colouring! This is an exciting story with well developed characters. This is definitely a series to follow.
2.5 stars rounded up. Jasmine Crown of Kings features a new twist on the story of Princess Jasmine. Jasmine stole the wrong thing and was cursed to be a Jinn. Finally human once again, Jasmine seeks redemption for the many atrocities she committed. A short team up with Ali Baba and the forty thieves prove there is no honor among thieves as Jasmin must battle the thieves and her former Jinn sister to stop a great evil from returning to the world. The story falls flat in some places and is definitely nothing to write home about but the art plays out pretty nicely. The story is just okay but I would not read more along the same lines. My voluntary unbiased review is based upon a review copy from Netgalley.
Hello, I'm Jasmine.  I'm a C-list – at best – warrior woman and I'm going to talk at you and talk at you until you begin to think I'm an important character, and then I'm going to go on a stupid adventure for bits of a crown that have elemental connections, along with Ali Baba, who will talk at you and talk at you instead of proving he's a master thief, and oh god this is shite.  The artwork is actually quite good, as far as people whooshing coloured magic nonsense from their outstretched palms goes, but the writing is primary school.  And when the editor told me to wait for issue three for more on the bloody woman's past, that was it for me.  You've given me a prelude to pretend this is a Woman of Importance, she's yacked to herself and made reference to herself yacking to herself because that would be ooh, clever and meta, and I still don't give a flying carpet's crap about her past.  I fail to remember a Grimm Universe comic that was any good, but this is the worst.  Surely.
This new comic/series start intriguing in the first few pages, but I felt down really soon. Another generic hero, blank with nothing original, same thing for the story/plot and the illustration are colorful but lack some personality as well. Not bad... just not really worth the money or the time!