Modern Mediterranean

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Aug 2019

I love Mediterranean food. While I'm not well-versed in cooking it, it's one of my favorite cuisines when I go out to eat, so I'm always eager to review a Mediterranean cookbook. That's how I ended up diving into this book blind without realizing that the author is a Michelin-star chef! It's a real beauty of a cookbook, from stunning pictures of Mallorca to close-ups of the main ingredients around which he builds his recipes. In the text, he makes a case for why Mallorca and Mediterranean food are so special, and it's brimming with imagery that makes me want to hop on a plane tomorrow and settle down in his island paradise.

As Mallorca is part of Spain, the recipes are mostly Spanish, which is not a cuisine I usually equate with the Mediterranean. Don't seek out this book if you're looking for a recipe for falafel, as you won't find it here. What you will find are thoughtful, creative, and sophisticated recipes for dishes such as Crispy Sobrasada Croquettes with Honey and Manchego, Roasted Rack of Lamb in a Feta, Olive, and Rosemary Crust, and Fresh Mussel Escabeche. The cookbook is divided into sections based on ingredients that are essential to Mallorcan cuisine, almost like a celebration of each ingredient. It differs in that way from cookbooks that are usually divided by course.

The recipes here are really chef-caliber, and Marc Fosh doesn't dumb it down for the home cook at all. I appreciate that, but at the same time, some of the recipes, particularly the desserts are quite involved. However, if you master them, you can turn out dishes that would fit right in at a Michelin-star establishment, and one day I hope to conquer them all. This is a cookbook best devoured by "foodies", or at least somewhat adventurous eaters.

While it's an excellently done cookbook and clearly a labor of love for Chef Fosh, I'm not convinced it would be a regular on my bookshelf, purely because the recipes often contain ingredients that are hard to find or prohibitively expensive in my neck of the woods and the recipes are more involved than I would like for a weeknight, but it is a great source of cooking inspiration nonetheless.

Overall Rating: 4/5 stars
Michelin-starred chef Marc Fosh's Modern Mediterranean takes us on a visual culinary journey that stimulates the senses. Fosh organizes this cookbook into 18 different sections that focus on an ingredient central to Mediterranean cookery, such as tomatoes and olive oil. My favorite aspects of Fosh's book were his stunning photography of not only the dishes, but different regions of the Mediterranean. This cookbook is described as a love letter to the Mediterranean and its food and I could not agree more. My favorite recipes were the Honey Croquettes with Almond Aioli and the Herb-roasted Guineafowl with Couscous Salad and Sobrassada. Though the book uses techniques and ingredients that may seem intimidating to the novice home cook, I did find the recipes and Fosh's technique easy enough to follow.
We now know that the Mediterranean diet is one of the healthiest and tastiest in the world. The menus in Marc Fosh’s restaurant in Mallorca are based on a simple philosophy: food tastes best when it’s made from local, organic and seasonal ingredients.  Modern Mediterranean reflects this ethos whilst reinventing traditional, Mediterranean recipes with a modern touch, preserving the colours, freshness, flavours and textures of the region. His cookbook invites you to recreate the flavours of the Mediterranean using eighteen of his favourite ingredients as a starting point.
When choosing a cookbook, I look first at the ingredients in the recipes because from that I can usually tell which will turn out well, at least for my particular tastes. Over the years I have often chosen quite complicated recipes, which have become family favourites, but these days I’m keen to add some quick and easy recipes to my collection.  And where simplicity is key, the ingredients really must be of top quality.  However, having said that, I’m prepared to make some condiments from scratch, such as ras el hanout, preserved lemons or harissa because I know that these will make the world of difference to a dish, are worth the extra effort and will keep for future use.
Some of the recipes that caught my eye include:  MARINATED SEA BASS with ROASTED PEPPER and PRESERVED LEMON SALAD;   MONKFISH TAILS with MUSSELS, SAFFRON, CIDER and LEEKS;  PEACH and SAFFRON CHUTNEY; SALAD OF IBERIAN HAM with GRILLED PEACHES, HAZELNUTS and GOATS’ CHEESE DRESSING; MALLORCAN RED PEPPER TART;  HAKE in a LEMONCORIANDER CRUST with RED PEPPER AIOLI.
What else appealed to me about this cookbook were the anecdotes and little snippets of information about the ingredients and recipes.  These also influence my decision on whether to give the dish a try.  My overall impression is a cookbook packed with recipes of sunshine and al fresco dining.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Nourish for the opportunity to read and review Modern Mediterranean by Marc Fosh.
The recipes in Modern Mediterranean are delicious and well written. The only thing that I didn't like about this is that not all of the ingredients would be easy to get if you live in a small town. Not impossible, but not the easiest.

It is also definitely a necessity to read through the recipes before you buy the ingredients to see what tools you will need.

Other than that, this food is delicious and, if you have been looking for an excellent book on how to make Mediterranean food, I don't think you could do better than this one.
Mediterranean food has enjoyed popularity of late, and so Mark Fosh’s cookbook, Modern Mediterranean: Sun-drenched recipes from Mallorca and beyond is a timely cookbook for anyone who loves the food and wants to make it at home. This cookbook has a different format than most cookbooks in that it is divided into Fosh’s favorite Mediterranean ingredients with recipes using them, such as Almonds, Garlic, Chorizo, Peppers, Rice, Squid – to name a few. Fosh obviously knows his stuff, since his restaurant of the same name earned a Michelin star in 2014.

The recipes in this book are mostly typical of Spain, and will be unfamiliar to many. However, even though unfamiliar, they are mouthwatering and there are several worth trying. In the Red Prawns section there is an excellent recipe for Crispy Fried Prawns with Aioli which is is easy and delicious. The Spicy Chicken and Harissa with Smoked Chorizo from the Chorizo section is luscious (although I substituted chicken breasts for the thighs), as well as a recipe for Poor man's Potatoes with Chorizo. Fosh also includes an excellent recipe for Harissa. The cookbook includes fabulous – outside of the box – desserts such as a Chocolate and Lavender Tart and a White Chocolate Soup with Caramelised Figs. In the ever-growing queue are Grilled Asparagus with Orange Dressing and Romesco Sauce, Pork Loin braised in Milk, and Saffron-Crusted Baked Cod with Pea and Lemongrass Soup. There are enough interesting recipes to keep Mediterranean food lovers cooking for months.

The photographs will make most want to drop everything and cook. The instructions are succinct and easy to follow. This is a beautiful cookbook.

Special thanks to NetGalley for supplying a review copy of this book.
3 out of 5

**OMG!  I cannot believe that these reviews haven't been done!  I am so sorry they are so late!!!**
I suffer from a medical condition that makes it really hard for me to lost weight. The Modern Mediterranean diet is prefect as it promotes healthy eating without feeling that you are going without tasty food. A great recipe book.
Thank you to Netgalley and Marc Fosh for allowing me to review Modern Mediterranean. This book was easy to follow, gorgeous, and provided me with amazing recipes.
I’ve waited a while to review this book; in the introduction Mark Fish says “ Keep it fresh, keep it seasonal and make it easy” so I needed to wait for summer when my vegetable garden would be at it’s best and I could try the recipes with the freshest ingredients

It was worth the wait!  I tried the Grilled Asparagus with Orange Dressing and Romanesco Sauce; the vibrant colours looked stunning and the oranges made a lovely fresh dressing.  The Mallorcan Style Stuffed Aubergines looked and tasted great. I made them a second time without the pork mince for a vegetarian guest, and they were very well received.  The Rosemary and Fennel Seed Glazed Duck had a superb glaze which gave just the right touch of sweetness to complement the duck. The Spicy Chicken and Harissa Ragout was tasty, though the yoghurt curdled when stirred in at the end; it would be better served on the side.

The book encourages and inspires the cook to use fresh and seasonal ingredients and on the whole the recipes are easy and quick to make.  I liked the division of the chapters into ingredients – it was great when there were, for example, loads of gorgeous tomatoes, to look the chapter on tomatoes for inspiration.
The ingredients are given in imperial, metric and volume so the book is accessible to readers all over the world.  Some local ingredients, like Sobrasada – soft and spicy cured sausage – would not be easy to find out of the Mediterranean region, but he does suggest alternatives.

This was one of those recipe books that was a pleasure to read; I marked a few recipes to make, and enjoyed them, so went back to discover there were a whole lot more I wanted to try.  That’s a sign of a book I would definitely keep on my bookshelf!
I received this arc from NetGalley for an honest review. There haven't been many books released on Mediterranean cuisine in a while and I think that many will enjoy this book. My ingredients are easy to find and the recipes are easy to follow.
Some great recipes- I’ve really enjoyed making these particularly on a sunny evening, as they lend themselves so well to sunnier climes. Beautiful book with beautiful dishes, I know I will be remaking many of these.
I like the fact that this book is arranged by ingredient.  The recipes are fresh and healthful (for the most part), and the ones we made were "taste-bud-approved" by the family.
Nourish and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Modern Mediterranean: Sun-drenched recipes from Mallorca and beyond.  I was under no obligation to review this cookbook and my opinion is freely given.

This Michelin-starred chef takes a tour through the Mediterranean, showing the region off perfectly with sophisticated and delicious dishes.  Organized logically in chapters based on the primary ingredient, the cookbook covers the region's outstanding elements like Tomatoes, Garlic, Saffron, and Truffles.  The author takes the time to preface each section with an explanation of the history of the ingredient and how it relates to the area.

There are beautiful photographs, both of the areas around the Mediterranean and of the finished dishes.  I like the artistic presentation of the pages, as it is appealing in a similar way to a coffee table book.  There is a good mixture of recipes, from simple and sophisticated to the more challenging.  Readers will be hard pressed to not be inspired by the region and all it has to offer.  The recipes range from Chorizo and Tarragon Soup, to Crusted Rack of Lamb, to Mussels with Tomato, Parmesan, and Basil, and Churros with Hot Chocolate and Orange Blossom Dip.  I was completely impressed with the knowledge of the author as to the ingredients and region, so I would highly recommend Modern Mediterranean to readers looking to try the cuisine at home.
Paging through this cookbook feels like taking an eating tour through a lush Mediterranean summer. Recipes are organized alphabetically by featured ingredient (almonds, chorizo, garlic, etc.), which makes sense for reading through, but may be a bit confusing if you're looking for something to make for dinner and don't think to look for pork under "Iberian pork". Beautiful photography accompanies most dishes. Recipes include grams and ounces, which American cooks who aren't used to a food scale in the kitchen will appreciate!
I was looking for a more readily accessible cookbook...i.e., something for the everyday cook.  While I found this book intriguing, I question whether the everyday Mediterranean cook would purchase this.  However, if you have an aspiring chef in your family, or someone who just enjoys reading a cookbook as an 'armchair' traveler, then this would make a wonderful gift!

Filled with charming pictures, the recipes are presented in both standard U.S. measurements, as well as metric, so there's no need to use a conversions calculator!
I very much enjoyed this one. Very informative.  I loved the recipes I have made and I know this is one I will be purchasing when I get the chance.

I do recommend
Modern Mediterranean - Sun-drenched recipes from Mallorca and beyond written by Marc Fosh is a wonderfully exciting cookbook. The recipes in this book are unique and go far beyond what you would normally see in a Mediterranean cookbook. This book is arranged by ingredients that are special to Marc Fosh and it makes for an interesting setup for this book. It is just as fun to read as it is to use and I'm sure you will enjoy the journey this book takes you on as well.

Modern Mediterranean Chapters
Saffron
Squid
Tomatoes
Truffles
Each chapter begins with a introduction about the ingredient that is being featured. You will learn a lot in these introductions so be sure to spend a few moments reading this before you jump into the beautiful photography and the mouth watering recipes. Here are a few examples of the recipes that you can fix for yourself at home; Marinated Sea Bass with Roasted Pepper and Preserved Lemon Salad, Grilled Asparagus with Orange Dressing and Romesco Sauce, Olive Oil-Marinated Strawberries with Passion Fruit and Lavender Custard, and Black Truffle, Sage and Pecorino Risotto.

The first recipe that I tried was simple and tasted even better than I imagined. It was Cherry Tomato, Pomegranate and Feta Salad. What makes this recipe really incredible was that you not only used pomegranate seeds, but you also used pomegranate molasses. What a great dish to eat on a warm summer evening. I will say that this book includes recipes that include easy to make beginner dishes all the way up to rather complex and rewarding dishes that push you outside your cooking box.

Another recipe that I was surprised by was for Homemade Harissa. Harissa is a red-hot sauce from North Africa and is used to give a dishes an extra kick. I love to grow peppers so I decided to try this out but I was a little scared because I had never even tried a bottled jar of harissa that you can buy in your grocery store. If you like making pesto - you need to try to make harissa. It is just as fun to make and you will find yourself trying to add it to all sorts of foods.

Modern Mediterranean is a book that you will love to add to your collection, and it's also a great book for a gift for a friend or family member that loves to try new things. Have fun learning about Marc Fosh's world and the food that inspires him.

Disclosure:  Thank you to Nourish for providing me with a complimentary copy of this e-book for review purposes.  No other compensation was received, and all opinions are my own.
Loads of fabulous recipes, but only two or three I would ever attempt myself. Seriously, I suspect not many people have bee pollen readily available in their store cupboards. It's a great resource if you're a foodie who enjoys spending hours in the kitchen putting together intricate dishes to entertain your friends, but sadly, that's not me.
So while I've made a mental note to seek out Marc Fosch's restaurant if I'm ever in Palma, I'll stick to the sangria recipe, and maybe try the simplest recipe I can find in the book when I'm entertaining and want to make a serious impression!
I think this book had great pictures, but not enough recipes. There were some simple recipes that did not seem to be that innovative
Modern Mediterranean by Marc Fosh is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in mid-July.

17 chapters, each focused around one dynamic regional ingredient; though the author is situated quite proudly in Mallorca. From there, he goes into the recipes of each chapter with little to no preamble, only clearing confusion or worry from time to time if a lesser-known minor ingredient is hard to find and, thus, suggesting alternatives. Terrific photography, very very decadent finished dishes - Mediterranean Diet, this is not. Quite nearly an equal amount of desserts and sweets to main courses, in fact.