Diamond in the Rough

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Oct 2019

Poppy Garrison is such a loveable character!

Bless her heart, she has some of the funniest problems. Now, one wouldn't think there would be many circumstances that would be noteable, let alone hilarious, in a New York Four Hundred social season, but Poppy manages to entertain us with all of her antics.

The perfect person to offset Poppy is Reginald Blackburn. The prim, proper Reginald is tasked with giving Poppy etiquette lessons... the results are hilariously funny.

I loved this book.
I hope you choose to pick up a copy, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Diamond in the Rough is the second book in the American Heiresses series, although it is not necessary to read the first book (Flights of Fancy) before reading this one. Of course, Flights of Fancy was a fabulous book and if you like fun historical romance novels you will love it.

Miss Poppy Garrison's grandmother has finagled a way to involve her in the 1985 New York social season, and the book begins with a hilarious account of the disastrous results. As usual, Turano has created a character who, despite her best efforts, gets literally tangled up in the midst of an important dance and causes a scene that is definitely not considered appropriate by high society. As a person who has two left feet, I could immediately sympathize with Poppy and the situations she finds herself in.

As the book continues, mishaps and misunderstandings continue for this young woman who really has the best interest of others at heart. I realized about two-thirds of the way through the book that my face hurt from smiling so much as I read! I love Turano's books for this reason -- it is so seldom than any author is so brilliant at engaging the reader in such crazy and yet somehow realistic escapades that I laugh out loud. They are a great way to escape the drudgery and disasters that headline our daily news.

But these books are filled with so much more than just funny events. The characters have depth, intriguing secrets, and fascinating conversations. In addition, I love the historical details that are included. The descriptions of the clothing (and their advantages/disadvantages) have me both wanting to try something so beautiful and glad we don't have to wear such things these days! While I typically don't care much for romance books, there is so much more here that I don't mind the occasional predictability about who falls in love with whom.

Diamond in the  Rough is a story of trying to fit in, wanting to change the world, and helping to open the eyes of others to needs they had ignored.

I have thoroughly enjoyed every book Jen Turano has written, and I will read every book she writes in the future.
I think Jen Turano’s books are easy to love because she has the ability to write seamless plots, touching romance, and truly hilarious heroes and heroines.  This novel follows her usual writing style with even more likeable characters.  I never tire of reading about their hilarious escapades—she is so creative!  Poppy is the perfect heroine to love, with her no-nonsense, practical sense that seems to crack into Reginald’s stern exterior.  I enjoyed reading about how they affected and changed each other for the better.  It was easy to laugh at the scenes, but the humor did not detract from the deeper spiritual messages and serious character growth.  There is also an element of mystery.  I really enjoyed this book and cannot wait to see what this author pens next!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers.  Opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
This is an absolutely hysterical historical romantic comedy!

This wonderful story can easily be renamed Poppy’s Madcap Adventures. It kept me laughing from start to finish.

I fell in love with Poppy and her unconventional way of moving through high society from the beginning. Reading the reactions of “proper” society people was just as amusing. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing how many of the other characters developed and came into their own as the story progressed.

It wouldn’t be a Jen Turano novel if there weren’t high society ladies carrying around pistols. I love how she always manages to write such quirky characters that it fits with the story though. The other tidbit that I’ve come to expect from this author are funny animal scenes. In this story they were at least about typical household pets.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All of the opinions expressed are my own.

Disclaimer: *Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy of this book for free in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I was not required to give a positive review, only my honest opinion - which I've done. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.*
Poppy Garrison is the oddest character I’ve ever come across in fiction. She’s a magnet for trouble, but of a sweet and innocent disposition. The unfortunate events that seem to come her way are downright funny. Every chapter had me laughing out loud.
Reginald Blackburn, a duke who’d rather keep anonymity, travels to New York to help his cousin, a newly minted earl, find an American heiress to help maintain his estates back in England. The cousins have a Mr. Darcy and Charles Bingley subtle feel to them, which I quite enjoyed (being the Austen fan I am). When Reginald’s path crosses with Poppy, it’s one that takes unexpected twists and turns until we reach the end of the novel.
I loved the characters, even Poppy as quirky as she is. The author does a great job with the vivid descriptions of New York City in its early years, and seamlessly binds fact and fiction together with the mention of some members of the New York Four Hundred.
I quite enjoyed the second installation of American Heiresses, Diamond in the Rough.
This novel reads well as a stand-alone title.
I received an ecopy from the publisher through Net Galley. All opinions expressed are my own.
I can not even begin to tell you reading Jen Turano books brighten my day. The humor and trouble her characters get into makes my husband ask... "Is that another book by that author Jen something or other?" Yes!!!!

Poppy is everything I would hope I'd be had I been born in that time! She's speaks her mind and is her own person. She cares about people. She is not afraid to fit in. I loved this book from start to finish!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley on behalf of the Publisher and was under no obligation to post a favorable review.
Jen Turano delivers another rollicking good time as you follow Poppy Garrison and her introduction to New York society. Poppy can manage an unruly stallion, but is unseated by the magnitude of details she must remember about each social event. She does not understand why society members would attend the opera if they aren’t going to watch it, and she finds herself at war with the snails served at dinner. Her grandmother hires Reginald Blackburn to teach her social graces, but Poppy May be too much even for the brooding Mr. Blackburn to handle.

This latest installment in Turano’s series is a 1900’s Jane Austin-esq look at New York Society. There’s some romance brewing, but not always the ones you expect. When you reach the last page you’ll be wanting more, thankfully Turano’s next book is already in editing!
Another great read by Jen Turano.  This book really took me back to Turano's earlier writing and reminded me why I fell in love with her books.  Turano really brings the humor with this story!
Laugh out loud funny! It has it all a stuff grandmother ...a lovely girl from the farm .. enter a handsome man most women are throwing themselves at and it is a Jen Turano book! This is book 2 in the series of the American Heiresses and honestly I somehow missed book 1 ...which I will be going back to read! I do not think you need to read book 1 in order to understand 2 as I did not have any trouble reading this.

Plot is this ... Grandmother wants her granddaughter is willing to help Poppy's family farm but at a cost. She must let her introduce her into high society. That doesn't go so well for Poppy as she is a farm girl who lives life to the fullest ... enter a handsome man and some etiquette  lessons and the laughs ensue.

This book does not disappoint!

Thank you Netgalley for an ARC copy for my honest review
Poppy agreed to attend a New York season with her grandmother, Viola, in exchange for some financial assistance to her parents. But Viola's plans to turn Poppy into a Diamond of the First Water don't seem to promising until mishap after mishap plagues her.  Until Reginald Blackburn (secretly the son of a duke) agrees to help train her. The two quickly form a friendship and hilarity and adventures ensue.

I really enjoyed this title, Poppy was such a fun character. I appreciated that even though some plot elements were obvious, Turano still manages to keep me guessing a little bit as to the process of how things will work out.
As always, Jen Turano's characters are witty and humorous in their banter. This is one of my favourite of the books by this author so far. Poppy Garrison is such a fun character. Her grandmother is determined that she will become a Diamond of the First Water, but Poppy couldn't care less. She's outspoken and genuine, something that the Four Hundred of New York are not used to.

Reginald Blackburn sounds like a stick-in-the-mud, but of course as the story goes along he shows his humanity more and more. He has a soft side under that very proper British exterior. These two are quite the combination!

I really enjoyed this book. My only complaint is that there was such a large amount of dialogue, but at least it's pretty hilarious. I appreciate the combination of historical detail and humour this author infuses into her stories.

This book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.
Diamond in the Rough is another delightful book by Jen Turano. I loved Poppy and Reginald and watching their relationship progress. Murray was great too along with Poppy’s grandparents. If you’re looking for a fun, clean read this book is for you!
ife can be stressful, overwhelming, and complicated sometimes. That’s why I often like to choose a book that will take me away from all the stress and let me read something lighthearted, and fun.  Jen Turano is probably one of my favorite authors for escapes such as these. Her newest book, Diamond in the Rough, is definitely a gem. If you’re looking for comedy, this book has it in so many aspects. If you’re looking for romance, this book has it as well in a sweet, clean way. If you’re looking for incredible, lighthearted plots, then this is absolutely a book you should read. And as bonuses it includes a  son of a duke, dogs, etiquette lessons, and a mystery as well. It’s a fun filled escape into a plot that never gets dull and always has some hilarious event happening. I highly recommend it everyone who needs a break from seriousness.

I recommend this book to any one who enjoys humor, comedy, fun, and historical fiction.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Marvelous mayhem. As I always say, cheer up, read a Jen Turano book! Certainly one of the best authors ever.

1885. Perfectly capable Poppy leaves her parents horse farm to spend a Season with her socially fashionable Grandmother of the Four Hundred. A Grandmother determined that Poppy will be considered a Diamond of the first water. Her Propensity for mishaps will of course keep you in stitches, rolling on the floor laughing, then in awww for the sweetness and heart of these characters.
Reginald is there from England to help his cousin find a suitable bride. He is conscripted by Poppy's Grandmother to teach Poppy how to behave properly in society,  something very necessary for her to be considered as a bride in England's Social circles. Sweet people struggling to make their way, and never a dull moment with Poppy around. She can ride, run and shoot em up with the best. Not valuable traits to those in Society. But maybe its time for Society's rules to change. Poppy has her own kind of influence. As always, an excellent read!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher and NetGalley book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
#DiamondInTheRough #NetGalley #JenTurano #BooksYouCanFeeGoodAbout #5Stars #ChristianHistorical
Oh I am a card carrying member of the Poppy fan club. I enjoyed the first book in this engaging series very much. This second offering is even better. Poppy is a heroine for any person who has felt awkward but kept on going anyway.

From mishap to misadventure to diabolical deeds, Poppy stays true to herself and I Think that was what I loved the most. Turano has created a humorous character for sure, but one who made me want to be a better person.

I learned an impressive amount about New York Society, loved the descriptions of various places that were so strong I could picture them clearly in my mind, and the distinctive characters that made me want to invite them over for tea.

My one bone of contention - Poppy didn't like clotted cream on her scones. Speaking as a British person, this is sacrilegious!!!! (I still completely loved the book though).
I’ve had the pleasure of reading all of Jen Turano’s books to date, and can honestly say that she is one of my very favorite historical fiction authors.  That being said, this review will probably have a bit of bias.  I’ve been hooked since reading my first of her books (which was actually her second published work) and have yet to be disappointed.  Though I’ve greatly enjoyed them all, I have had some favorites here and there, and this one definitely falls into that category!
As always, Ms. Turano kept me in stitches from the first few pages all the way through!  I would frequently look up and find my husband trying to read over my shoulder and find out what was so funny!  I couldn’t help but love Poppy’s character and her penchant for finding herself in the midst of unusual circumstances - situations that are rarely of her own making, but she jumps in with both feet.  I adored her unique way of looking at things, enjoyment of life, and determination.  She’s quirky and kind, but also stubborn and sometimes a bit reckless.  I noticed that the author’s portrayal of society changed a bit during this book, as well.  It isn’t a kind place, most of the time, with gossiping, conniving, and sabotage being things that are clearly shown.  Which highlights even more the kindness in Poppy’s character, as well as several other characters we’re given the opportunity to meet.  I also quite liked Reginald, with his faux stuffiness and determination to help his cousin.  I loved the teasing he and Poppy regularly engage in, as well as getting to see Poppy and other characters through his eyes.  I do have to say, that there were a couple characters that surprised me!  When the book began, I wasn’t expecting to like them, but over the course of the story, I found them becoming some of my favorites.
And of course, there’s a bit of intrigue mixed in, which kept me curious and hurrying to finish the book before bedtime.  Though I wasn’t overly surprised at “whodunit,” the reasoning behind all of the shenanigans wasn’t quite what I had anticipated.
I will definitely be rereading this book and am anxiously anticipating what I’m hoping will be Beatrix’s book!

*My thanks to the publisher for my copy of this book!  I was not required to write a review, positive or otherwise, and have not been compensated for it in any way.  All opinions expressed are my own.
Poppy Garrison was raised out in the country on a horse ranch, but she accepts a proposition that she participate in a season, and in return her wealthy grandmother will cover her family's debts.

Her grandmother desperately wants Poppy to excel in high society as a diamond of the first water, instead she finds herself dodging one social disaster after another. Her grandmother asks Reginald Blackburn, 2nd son of a duke, to help Poppy to make a success of  her season.

Poppy is well out of her depth in high society, but I admired how she gives it her best effort. She has a no-nonsense sensibility, and doesn't see the purpose of all the hoopla and ceremony. She longs for a life of purpose beyond the next social outing. I admired her strength to stand up to her domineering grandmother, and how she stands up for herself.

Reginald has come to America to help his cousin Earl Charles Wynn find a wealthy American wife. But he is every bit the proper English gentleman, with no interest in an American wife, he has a secret of his own that he doesn't want to get out into society. But when word gets out that he is helping Poppy, mothers of other American heiresses leap at the opportunity to put their daughters under his cousin's nose. Reginald is intrigued by Poppy's forthrightness, honest charm and practical sensibilities which bring out a softer side in himself.

Jen Turano at her best, with this highly entertaining read with an admirable heroine, hilarious escapades, faith, friendship, and romance. Poppy shines as a true friend and encourager, finding her own place as a fish out of water. She befriends many others who struggle to fit the mold. Sparkling dialogue brings this book to life, especially between Poppy and Reginald. I loved the fast paced, twisting plot, with fantastic characters at every turn, plenty of laugh out loud humor. Utterly enjoyable, you won't want to miss it!

Charming and whimsical, Diamond in the Rough offers all the hallmark elements readers have come to expect from a Jen Turano novel. A strong and slightly quirky heroine, a mysterious hero, a Gilded Age New York setting, plenty of shenanigans, and just enough intrigue to keep the reader guessing until the end come together in a truly lovely novel.

I enjoyed the plot of this novel, which includes Mr. Blackburn assisting Poppy in becoming a “diamond of the first water.” It lent a My Fair Lady vibe to the story and provided for some laugh-out-loud moments. I also got a bit of a Pride and Prejudice feel from the story–Reginald being very Mr. Darcy-ish, and Poppy reminding me at times of Elizabeth Bennet, which I loved. And while on the subject of our delightful heroine, I must say that Poppy is among my favorite Turano heroines, though it is hard to choose because they are all so charming.

Avid fans of Jen Turano will adore this latest release and historical fiction readers looking for a fun and whimsical read will want to read this book.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House through NetGalley. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.
I was ready for a light-hearted book when I opened Diamond in the Rough and its opening line let me know quickly that I had the right book. I can always count on any book by Jen Turano to provide me with plenty of giggles and maybe even a restrained belly laugh or two and this book was no exception. As usual, this book takes place mostly among the high society of that era.

With a leading lady who cares little for the demands of high society and who seems to be followed by trouble with a capital T, and a starched, impeccable, and proper English hero, readers can be assured that Diamond in the Rough is a recipe for disaster blended with lots of fun. I loved Poppy whose good intentions sometimes tripped her up but her good humor kept her likeable. It was such fun watching Reginald fall under Poppy’s spell and lose some of his starchiness. I also loved some of the secondary characters, especially wimpy Murray whose entire persona changed due to his association with Poppy and Reginald.

Loved, loved, loved this book! As long as the author will keep writing them, I will most assuredly keep reading them!
Reginald Blackburn is helping his friend the Earl of Lonsdale to seek an heiress to help his family’s estate back in England. There are so many ladies that want to seek his attention all except Poppy. She’s not here to seek a husband. Sir Reginald is giving Poppy lessons on how to become familiar with the rules of proper society. Reginald says to Poppy, ..”Do you know that it’s never permissible for a lady to take it upon herself to chase down members of the criminal persuasion.”

She replies, “That’s completely ridiculous. ” Who decided that ladies can’t react accordingly when someone has the audacity to relieve them of their personal possessions?”

I like how the author writes about strong, free thinking, practical women in the mist of high society who are looked down on, like Poppy. They look at her as if she is a freak. Frankly no one knows what to do with her. Poppy didn’t realize what hard work it was to become a lady. She tells Reginald like it is, “Perhaps instead of trying to instruct me on how to speak, properly about mundane topics like the weather, you should teach me how to handle myself in a brawl. That would better prepare me in the future if I find myself involved in another similar situation.”

The grandfather tells Poppy she has been black mailed by Viola’s grandmother to introduce her almost 23-year-old Poppy Garrison to a proper season in New York. She sees this as a way of reliving the season she missed with her daughter since she ran off and got married. Leaving the family all together.  Poppy wants to unite the family and please her grandmother.

Poppy’s grandfather tells her that’s fine to want to please her grandmother but when it becomes to much and Viola wants to change who she is as a person then end it. It’s not worth doing.

Poppy’s grandmother is determined she become a “diamond of the first water,” So she agrees to have lessons from a handsome, charming man named, Reginald Blackburn who has saved her life several times during her stay in New York. Poppy has gotten into trouble no fault of her own. It turns out Poppy and Reginald are both trying to be something they by nature are not. It’s a challenge for them as they fight their feelings, they realize are getting stronger as these lessons go on.

I enjoyed this story and the characters. I felt something was missing.as I read.  I think things may not have been so over the top for me this time because I didn’t realize that this was book two in the American Heiresses series. I recommend you read book one first. If you haven’t read any of this authors books you should. They are always fun and entertaining.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and Netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St. Laurent