Cover Image: Diamond in the Rough

Diamond in the Rough

This story is wondrously funny, the word pictures kept me page-turning, and never expecting what is about to happen next.
Talk about putting a square peg into a round hole, well, we take a farm girl and put her into elite society in NY City in the 1880’s. She is soon rubbing, or falling, shoulders with the who’s who in America, along with some British aristocrats.
We have family blackmail, assaults, guns going off, horses in Central Park lake, etc. Could just picture this as a movie, but be aware along with glorious laughs there are a few gasps as we wonder if our Poppy will survive.
A don’t miss delightful read!

I received this book through Net Galley and Bethany House Publishing, and was not required to give a positive review.
What a delightful novel by Jen Turano! The second book in the American Heiresses is filled with laughs and meaningful romance.
I loved Poppy. She's headstrong and knows her own mind, but she is also a lady, even though she doesn't exactly know how to handle herself in every situation. Reginald is the perfect balance to Poppy's nature, giving level-headed advice and direction, but also finding himself falling for this woman who can't seem to fit in with the society mavens.
Poppy is spunky and a friend that everyone would want to have (as long as you aren't trying to sabotage her). This book delves into more serious topics such as forgiveness, deception, and the meaning of family.
I always adore Ms. Turano's books and this one was perfect for me at this time--light, but with a meaningful messa
This is a cute, lighthearted, clean historical Romance. If you enjoy Jen Turano's books, you will enjoy this one as well. It's the second in a series, but can be read out of order.
Diamond in the Rough
By Jen Turano
Diamond in the Rough was reminiscent of Jane Austin’s’ Pride and Prejudice. Although the characters were true to themselves, the mishaps that the main heroine encountered were a bit unbelievable. Although it was easy to read, I can’t say that this will be on my favorites list. I have enjoyed Jen Turano's books in the past but this one fell short with unbelievable happenings from the character's behavior to their situations.
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. For more book reviews visit: https://simplyannehere.wordpress.com
This latest installment of Jen Turanos book has made feel like I was at an Opera play except without the Orchestra laughing at all the right places.
Poppy has had me laughing because of her quirks and she says some amusing things at the most inopportune times. I think in this way I can relate to Poppy lol
I used to do it and still do it just irritate my family members lol!!
Really wish I could meet Poppy in real life! I know I'd just love her. I also really don't envy her a bit except when comes to horses. I love horses!!
I feel sorry for Reginold. Im sure training Poppy wasnt what he had in mind when he came to the states.
Murry os a person I belive I'd want to be friends with.
I snickered when I imagined him and Poppy dancing together!! I think that is my favorite scene!!
Her grandmother scares me!! She almost reminds me of Cinderellas step mother!!
I strongly recommend this book if you want a good laugh.
My thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this book NO compensations were received and all opinions are my own!!
Diamond In The Rough, by Jen Turano, is another winner. But don’t just take my word for it, read it!

Poppy Garrison is a delightful character. If you’ve read any of Turano’s books, you’ll know there is always a quirky character and mayhem. Just what I love. Turano’s books are a wonderful stress reliever if you need a laugh out loud adventure. Reginald Blackburn matches Poppy, stride for stride, although the poor man gets a run for his money, so to speak. We all know what it’s like to feel the pressure to live up to expectations and both these characters wrestle with this concept in their own ways.

I think Murray quickly became one of my favorite characters in the book. Be warned, you may laugh out loud or dissolve into a fit of giggles while reading this book. So really, it’s good for your mental health. The societal norms of the day lend themselves to all sorts of shenanigans and seeing Poppy challenge those norms is hilarious.

I always look forward to Jen Turano’s books because they entertain and they transport me to another era. Diamond in the Rough was no different.

I received a copy of this book via NetGalley, my opinion is my own.
“The oddest things happen when I least expect them.”-stated by Poppy Garrison, heroine of “Diamond in the Rough”, at a dance in 1885 for the New York elite, after her tiara gets stuck on her partner’s jacket while dancing a difficult Quadrille.

Jen Turano’s books can always make me laugh, and I think I giggled and laughed out loud throughout most of this book. Poppy Garrison is a heroine like no other.  She’s strong, compassionate, and impulsive. She would seem to be the perfect “American Heiress” for a titled British gentlemen looking for a beautiful, sweet bride with a comfortable inheritance.  But, as Poppy says, odd things happen to her. (I mean, who else would a duck fly into and knock her off her horse?) Poppy’s grandmother persuades Reginald Blackburn, the second son of a Duke, to give Poppy lessons in fitting in the New York society and become a “diamond of the first water.”  It’s a learning curve for both Poppy and Reginald and their story is a sweet one.

All the characters in this book held my interest and I cared about all of them finding their “happily-ever-after”.  There’s even a touch of suspense that makes the ending that much better.

I love a book that makes me laugh, yet still has a sweet spirit to it.  I think this may be my favorite Jen Turano book I’ve read.  This “American Heiress” series will be a fun one to follow.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
(4.5 stars) – even funner & funnier than the first

[The 2nd in Jen Turano’s American Heiress series. This does have some characters from the 1st book, but stands alone easily]

If you’re new to Turano’s books, accept now that the humor at times borders on the ridiculous, but it isn’t cringeworthy – it’s reminiscent of the madcap comedies of the 40s.

Poppy is a delightful character, full of life and liveliness. Reginald is somewhat opposite – it seems he has a reputation for brooding, lol.

Reginald is formal & polished, where Poppy is relaxed and easy-going. Poppy’s grandmother wants Reginald to help Poppy not only fit in with the debs but to actually surpass them as “a diamond of the first water” & snag an aristocratic husband (Reginald’s cousin, in fact).

Reginald is reluctantly coerced into attempting it, and then the true fun begins. The secondary characters enrich & enhance the story. I particularly enjoyed watching Murray’s development.

Besides the expected mean girl manipulations & sabotage as they all compete to be Charles’ pick, there are plots & secrets, and everything is headed toward a unusual climactic conclusion! It was frequently laugh out loud entertaining.

*Clean romance level: sweet kisses

*Religion: generically Christian but not even remotely preachy, only an anti-christian would be bothered by it

[Review to be posted on release date on blog, Amazon/GoodReads, BN, ChristianBook & social media]
Jen Turano is my favorite author.  Her books always make me laugh and smile.  The characters are quirky and get into ridiculous situations.  They remind me of my sister and my daughter who tend to get into odd situations frequently. HA.  The writing is always witty and delightful.  This book is another fabulous read.

I LOVED Poppy, even her name is fun.  She is a beautiful person inside and out.  She is less concerned with meeting all the rules of high society and more concerned with helping other people.  When she sees a need, she thinks about how she can help meet it, whether it’s helping a young man develop confidence or aiding a street urchin.

Reginald has been given the daunting task of turning Poppy into a “Diamond of the First Water.”  Although Poppy is everything he ISN’T looking for, he can’t help but feel alive as he rescues her from scrapes.   They’re a great team.

Thank you to Bethany House for providing me a free e-copy of this book.  It was delightful.  All opinions are my own.

#DiamondInTheRough  #Netgalley  #JenTurano

American Heiresses:

Book 1:  Flights of Fancy

Book 2:  Diamond In The Rough
•*• Author Wields Comedy Like a Sword! •*•
I could not stop smiling & laughing. This is her best book yet & the cover is to die for!

1885, New York, NY –

Now how is that for an opening line?

Poppy has left her family’s Kentucky horse farm to come to New York at the request, or rather insistence of her excessively wealthy grandmother to experience her first “Season”. She tends to say and do the first thing that pops into her head often to the horror of her grandmother and those of the elite NY 400.  Disaster tends to follow her, but since she is quite used to that she simply rolls with it. “Do you know that I once got knocked straight off a horse because a duck flew into me?”

The Earl of Lonsdale and his cousin, Reginald Blackburn have traveled from England to find an American heiress to marry, effectively rescuing the Earl from financial ruin.  However, they are determined to find someone of good character.  Something Reginald is certain Miss Garrison certainly is not from the unusual way her dance partner twirled her away, crashing directly into himself and her less than demure commentary to the perturbed host of the ballroom.  Then later, finding her crawling on all fours in search of something. “Reginald was of the firm belief that always maintaining the proprieties was exactly what separated true ladies and gentlemen from the masses.” No, Miss Poppy Garrison was certainly not the type of woman he would approve of for his cousin. But when disaster and mystery follow Poppy around like a bad penny, Reginald finds himself caught up in her world, most unexpectedly.  As does the meek mannered Mr. Middleton whom Poppy quickly befriends.  I really enjoyed the dynamic of her relationship with both men who are distinctly different.  Watching Murray Middleton grow and come into his own as the story progressed was a delight. The “snail scene” was hilarious.  Very “Pretty Woman”.  Just like in real life, the supporting characters take an active role and add so much to the story.

TEA MOMENT:  Ok, so I was so excited by the tea-themed cover of this novel, months before it was even close to release.  So imagine my surprise when Poppy is at the tearoom in Rutherford & Co. and this happens, “They do offer an impressive assortment of teas, but…” She looked up. “Will you find me quite beyond the pale if I admit I don’t actually care for tea, preferring coffee instead?” “You don’t care for tea?” “Shocking, I know.” “Scandalous more like.”  But, my little heart attack was quickly diminished by the hilarious scone and clotted cream scene.
“Adele frowned, “You said you were savoring clotted cream when I first arrived.”
“Savoring, detesting,” Poppy said with a wave of her hand. …
“It was a riveting battle if Reginald had ever seen one, although one where clotted cream, jam, and scones were the weapons, instead of the usual pistols, swords, or knives.”

FAITH MOMENT: “Family matters. Friends matter. Embracing a relationship with God matters.  And it’s past time I rectify that.”

MYSTERY NOTE: I genuinely thought I knew who the culprit of the story was, smiling to myself that I had figured it out.  Boy was I wrong! The breadcrumbs that led me to my choice unexpectedly did NOT lead to who I thought they would.  Naturally, that made the story even more exciting. While there is a bit of danger, there is not any gore or undue stress to the reader.

I am so smitten with this book, I may have to forego my To-Be-Read pile in favor of re-reading older Jen Turano novels again!

American Heiresses Series (Bethany House Publishing):
Flights of Fancy – book 1 Jan 1, 2019
Diamond in the Rough – book 2 Sept 3, 2019
Storing Up Trouble –  book 3 tba

I received a complimentary book in the hopes of a favorable review, with no further compensation.  All opinions expressed are entirely my own.
As usual, Jen Turano has written a lively and fun story! I enjoyed this story of Poppy, a girl raised on a horse farm that is trying to fit in New York high society. At the same time, there are two men from England, one looking for a wife, the other a son of a duke, traveling as a companion to the other. It's a fun and wonderfully written story I enjoyed very much!
Full of fun, quirky characters, Diamond in the Rough is an enjoyable read for anyone who enjoys a lot of humor in their romances!  And I do, especially when I use my books as an escape from reality.  My habit is to highlight (on my tablet) all of the passages I like, usually involving humor or witty remarks.  This book has so many highlights, folks.  It wasn't just the main characters that brought a fun, lively energy to the story - it was all the main characters as well.  Every character in this book lent a bit of themselves to the story to make it a unique read that is unpredictable and fun.

Raised on a horse farm in rural Pennsylvania, Miss Poppy Garrison is the proverbial fish out of water in high society of New York City.  With one catastrophe after another occurring whenever she is near, everyone is both horrified and intrigued by her original nature.  When she is saved by Mr Reginald Blackburn, the traveling companion of a lord from England, they both are wrangled into an arrangement by Poppy's grandmother - Reginald will teach Poppy the social graces necessary for her to make a good match, and he will pocket a monetary sum for his efforts.  While Reginald is at first daunted by the task, he soon finds himself thinking of Poppy every day and defending her to those who would disparage her.  Her lack of refinement might be a spectacle to the New York Four Hundred, but to Reginald, it's a breath of fresh air.  With Poppy in his life, nothing would ever be boring again...and the idea is quite appealing.

Poppy and Reginald were an interesting match.  I didn't really see the chemistry initially, and their relationship was rather slow to build up.  However, once they began spending more time together, and Murray joined in along Beatrix, the pair grew closer and closer.  Poppy was definitely a singular woman, very unlike anyone else she met, and she was quite strong in the face of much criticism.  She approached challenges with a sense of confidence and good humor, and it was no wonder she attracted many who would otherwise be overlooked by the creme of the crop.  Reginald was very soft spoken, you could tell that he was going to be the quieter one in the relationship, and that suited them just fine.  Poppy never stopped talking, and I think it really enchanted Reginald.

As always, Jen has written a book full of laughs and history.  This is not a book to be missed!

**I received a free copy via NetGalley and this is my honest review.**
I absolutely enjoyed Diamond in the Rough!!  Jen Turano has an enchanting and enjoyable way of writing that draws the read in and leaves them wanting more.   The main character {Poppy} comes from her family's horse farm in Pennsylvania to New York for a season of socializing and balls.  It's an arrangement she has made with her maternal grandmother, Viola.  Viola is a matron of the set... the uppercrust of society.  From the beginning Poppy is entertaining and relatable.  With one mishap after another, it seems Poppy's season is doomed-- enter Mr. Reginald Blackburn, a brooding, staunch gentleman that seems to be no fun! While the book is a little predictable, there are definitely parts that are not predictable and the entire book is just enjoyable.  It is a quick read that took me away from my day for just a little while, giving me a glimpse of life I will never live.
“Any smidgen of hope that her entrance into New York high society would be deemed a rousing success died the moment Miss Poppy Garrison’s tiara became firmly attached to the sleeve of her dance partner.” - Opening line of Diamond in the Rough by Jen Turano

The second in the American Heiresses series, Diamond in the Rough by Jen Turano is a delight from start to finish! As in her previous novels, Jen’s leading lady, Poppy Garrison, is full of surprises, gusto and independence! Set in the 1880s, these characteristics make her remarkable amongst the New York High Society. Reginald Blackburn, our leading man, is a English aristocrat unaccustomed to a woman like Poppy. He relishes the challenged given by her grandmother to teach her the ways of society.

Soon, the two find themselves in the midst of several unusual, and for the reader humourous, situations. The adventure is non-stop and there is full cast of fun characters. Balls, operas, and drives around Central Park set a gorgeous backdrop to this story.

In addition to the light-hearted antics, a deeper, and touching, story of reconciliation and forgiveness unfolds as well as a mystery with a twist! This one has it all and I loved it! It’s highly recommended and it’s five out of five en-JOY-ment.
I adore Jen Turano’s spunky heroines! Poppy may be my favorite! She is clumsy and trouble seems to follow her wherever she goes yet she owns it. She is comfortable in her own skin and doesn’t let what society thinks bother her. She keeps her family and love interest on their toes as she tries to navigate her season in New York.
Jen, as always, had me laughing out loud and very engaged with her charming cast of characters. Diamond in the Rough is not only filled with romance and humor but there is plenty of mystery and action as well!
Thanks to Netgalley and Bethany House for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Here comes another fun, hilarious, and at times spunky with a bit sass story by Jen Turano. I loved this story, then again I think I say that about every book this author has written. There is so much going on in this story - fun banter, sass, hilarious moments, drama and a bit of romantic adventure. If you've never read one of her stories, you are missing out on some great historical romcoms.
A hilarious, laugh out loud historical fiction novel in typical Jen Turano style. Readers will love the crazy antics of Poppy Garrison as she reluctantly joins the New York social season at the urging of her society grandmother. She finds herself being given etiquette lessons by Reginald Blackburn, who unbeknownst to her is the second son of a duke. This was an enjoyable novel that fans of Jen Turano will not want to miss.  The humorous moments and outrageous predicaments that Poppy found herself in were my favorite parts of the story.

I received a complimentary copy of this book by Bethany House and was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine.
Poppy’s grandmother believes she can become a “diamond of the first water” with the elite New York City socialites, but there’s only one problem; Poppy is accident prone and trouble follows her wherever she goes. The reader will delight in all of Poppy’s misfortunate mishaps as she tries to navigate her way through the social season. With many laugh out loud moments, which Jan Turano is known for, Diamond in the Rough is sure to be an unforgettable “diamond” on your bookshelf.
I always really enjoy Jen Turano's wonderful stories. They are filled with many laugh out loud moments and personal growth for the characters in the story. Diamond in the Rough is no exception. Miss Poppy Garrison has agreed to leave the horse farm where she grew up to have a New York Social Season while residing with her Grandparents.  Mr Reginald Blackburn (an undercover English Lord, here to help his cousin find an American Heiress for a bride) agrees to tutor Poppy in all things proper. What could possibly go wrong? It's always positively delightful to take time out life's busyness and enjoy a story from Author Jen Turano.
Thoughts Swirling Around in my Head as I Read the Latest Jen Turano Book

* These names!!  We need a Jen Turano Character Name Generator!
* Oooohh…she’s spunky!
* Ha ha!  Snappy!
* Rouge escargot – hahahaha!
* The book title was just used in a sentence!
* Nigel!!  Not again!
* Yay!  A snippy and proper grandma!
* British accents!
* Oh look!  She’s titled a list, too!  HAHA!
* Fist fights, scones and clotted cream!
* Dude – Poppy is awesome!
* Woah – that was crazy!

Jen Turano’s sense of humor makes it super easy to enjoy her books!  They’re light-hearted, have the most colorful characters and are so entertaining!  Do read this book – it’s available September 3rd!  Visit www.christianbook.com  for preorder details!

I received a complimentary advanced copy of this book from Bethany House Publishers through NetGalley.  A positive review was not required.  Opinions expressed are completely my own.