An Amish Christmas Kitchen

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Oct 2019

An Amish Christmas Kitchen is a wonderful collection of 3 novellas written by bestselling Amish fiction writers to get your holiday season off to a special start. The three featured authors are Leslie Gould, Jan Drexler and Kate Lloyd. Each of these authors created a beautiful Christmas story that centered around a kitchen theme and to me the best possible ad-on with each novella is a recipe for you to make that comes straight out of the story.

An Amish Family Christmas by Leslie Gould

Noelle loves to bake for their local Lancaster Christmas Market. She and her sister Salome have been a team for this annual event for a while and Noelle has always done the behind the scenes part of the actual baking and Salome was the person that interacted with customers and made the in person sales. But this year, Salome is injured and Noelle finds that she must do both jobs, baking and selling despite her shyness. To make matters even harder at the Christmas Market, her old beau Jesse King has returned, and he will also be at the market so she can no longer avoid seeing him.

An Amish Christmas Recipe Box by Jan Drexler

Ada Weaver has been interested in one of the workers of her family business, Heritage Amish Furniture. Her sister Rose convinces her to do what she does best to woo him, and make special holiday cookies that she can bring in to all of the furniture makers to try and get their impression. She isn't having much luck getting Amos' attention, but her baking skills have built a friendship with the newest hire, Matthias Yoder.

An Unexpected Christmas Gift by Kate Lloyd

Maria and her sister took a DNA test and right before Christmas Maria learned that she was not related to her sister. She went to her father (her mother had died two years earlier) and found out that she had been adopted. In the middle of a blizzard Maria is traveling to try and find the connection that she found thanks to her DNA test. As she skidded and crashed her car, she finds herself taken in by a family that insists that she stay with them until the weather clears.

If you are looking for book to start off your holiday season, the three novellas in An Amish Christmas Kitchen will be sure to fill you with holiday cheer!
These  3 authors bring you stories that will tug on your heart by Leslie Gould, Jan Drexler, and Kate Lloyd. Each of these novella celebrate the season and family, love and the true meaning of Christmas. As each other bring there charcters to life and show them the way.
An Amish Family Christmas.
By Leslie Gould.

Noelle. Can God fill her with hope again? That was the story from her perspective. A lot of loss had happened to her, the man she thought she'd spend the rest of her life with left her or so she thought. She withdrew into a shell until life brought back a lot more that she thought she could handle. I loved her efforts in bringing her family together. I loved reading about how she learnt to stand up for herself.
Jesse filled with his own pain returned home and to the woman he loved. I loved reading about how he tried to make things better between himself and Noelle. His patience with her was remarkable.
I enjoyed reading about how they found their way back to each other.
One profound lesson I learnt is not to presume or listen to gossip but thrive to know the truth.

An Amish Christmas Recipe box. By Jan Drexler

Awwww Ada and Matthias.
Beautiful love story.

Ada has always taken Matthias as a friend while she was pinning over another. Mathhias has always liked her and sort her attention.
Love unrequited drove them together in this beautiful story.
I love reading about how he adored her even when she wasn't sure of herself. I loved Ada's beautiful heart and cheerful spirit.
Love is always worth waiting for, I loved the emphasis of that in this beautiful novella.
Everyone needs a sweet family like Ada's.

An Unexpected Christmas Gift by Kate Lloyd.

After taking a test, Maria's life toppled and she sort for answers in an Amish community where she met with a wonderful Amish family and her Beau Troy.
I enjoyed how the story unravelled and the love and beautiful community of the Amish people.
A wonderful story of love and second chances.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Netgallery for my honest opinion. All opinions expressed here are mine.
Although I enjoyed this book, it took awhile to get into it. I'm glad I stuck with It, because it turned into a very enjoyable read.
This book contains three short Amish romances, all taking place during the holiday season. I loved all three very much, so it is really hard to pick a favorite. All three stories had well developed characters and I came to know them and care about them as the stories progressed. The only author I had read of the three was Leslie Gould and her stories never disappoint. This was no exception. I am so excited to add two more Amish authors to my list. If you are looking for some quick and satisfying reads over the holidays, I highly recommend this book. Thank you to Netgalley and Bethany House for the copy. All opinions expressed are my own.
5 STARS:  5/5 stars for each novella
        Leslie Gould, Jan Drexler, and Kate Lloyd have all written heartwarming novellas centered around the Christmas season among the Amish and the kitchen which is the heart of the Amish home.  What Amish kitchen is complete without delicious food?  None, of course.  Baking, cookies, and holiday meals are important to each of the stories.  Each story made my mouth water as well as my eyes.  I honestly can not choose a favorite among the three novellas as I thoroughly enjoyed each of them.  I believe readers will as well.  Grab a cup of coffee and curl up with a warm blanket and prepare to be enchanted.
        I received a digital version of this novella collection from netgalley and Bethany House Publishers in exchange for my honest review.  I was not required to write a positive review and all opinions expressed are my own.
I really enjoyed reading all 3 novellas in this collection. All three authors did a wonderful job of creating the spirit of Christmas with a bit of romance for good measure. I haven't read many Amish stories for a while because I was tired of the same old stories, but these three were fresh and really drew me in. I loved the Christmas setting and all of the characters. The plots were well developed and even though they were novellas the stories were complete. As an added bonus there are recipes included at the end of each story. So grab a cup of hot chocolate and some whoopie pies and settle in for a great read.

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher with no expectations. All thoughts are my own.
First, I want to thank Leslie Gould, Jan Drexler, and Kate Loyd for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

An Amish Christmas is a book filled with three novellas’ celebrating the warmth of the seasons. In this book you will read Leslie Gould’s An Amish Family Christmas, Jan Drexler’s An Amish Christmas Recipe Box, and last but not least Kate Loyd’s An Unexpected Christmas Wish.

I absolutely fell in love with the cover of this book. It was one of the many reasons that captured my attention in wanting to read this book. The graphic artist captured the essence of the stories perfectly onto the cover. Not to mention the font and the placement of the tile and author were well done too. Kudos to the graphic artist on a job well done.

One sweet thing that all three of the authors did in this book was contribute one or two recipes at the end of their book. They really good too! I am a sucker for anything caramel! So, I may be trying the caramel icing that Leslie Gould mentioned!

Another thing that is common through the novella’s is you will see mention of God or bible verses.
Speaking of Leslie Gould her novella is called An Amish Family Christmas. Her novella was dedicated to her husband Peter who makes Christmas magical every year. This story pulled on my heart strings for all the heartache in the family that they have had.

Everything about the market run and owned by the family touched my heart. I myself love family run business and frequent them often.

As a reader I could not help smile when Holly and Noelle meet and you hear their story. It brought love into your heart it was just so sweet.

Jan Drexler’s novella is called An Amish Christmas Recipe Box. Boy after reading this story I am craving Christmas cookies and pies!! Not to mention all the meal prep she had to do for Thanksgiving! I wanted to jump in the story and join them for the festivities. Those ladies seem like amazing cooks and bakers!

I loved Matthias storyline how he wanted to be the man of the house now that his father had passed. However. his Mom still saw him as a boy!

There was a part in the story that I cracked up laughing! Someone came into the store looking for a rolling pin for her daughter. However, she does not bake. Ada gave a laugh and said maybe she wants to use it on her husband.

Ruth wrote this in the memory of Ruth Ann.

They saved the most incredible story of the three for last! The story that grasped my attention from the start and was fast paced until the end. A story that is in a different class above the others. Kate Lloyd’s The Unexpected Christmas Gift is the novella I am referring to. Never has an Amish book swept me off my feet as this one did. Great job Kate!

Rumspringa is a fascinating tradition to me in the Amish world. So, any storyline around that I find very intriguing. Hence the story of Maria trying to find out who her real mother is. There is a twist to the story that I never saw coming.

I learned something from Kate that I had not known prior. Amish don’t drive but Mennonites do.
This was a really wonderful set of novellas, one of the best i have read in years. Each story is engaging. An Amish Family Christmas deals with loss that could rob the family of their traditions. An Amish Christmas Recipe sheds light on how blinded a person can become when trying to impress someone who doesn't care about them. The final book An Unexpected Christmas Gift brings the Amish community into the age of DNA testing and how it can effect people.
Christmas came early this year with the release of a brand-new Amish novella collection! Three sweet love stories, based on the holidays and Amish traditions, will warm your heart and delight your senses. All three are delightful reads, though the second story, An Amish Christmas Recipe Box by Jan Drexler was my favorite. As an over-weight woman myself, I related best to the main character. Each story had a bit of sadness and melancholy as well as lots of love, laughter, and holiday cheer. Kate Lloyd’s story, An Unexpected Christmas Gift is different from the others in that it is in first person and from the perspective of an “Englisher,” an outsider, which gives it a more contemporary feel than the others. I loved the plots involving the DNA test, as well as the Christmas market. Each novella concludes with a recipe straight from the story.
I recommend these stories for lovers of Amish fiction and Christmas novellas. They are a wonderful addition to your holiday TBR.
"An Amish Christmas Kitchen" contains three novellas written by different authors. Each is well written and stands on its own as a worthy read. In each story, the main characters deal with different issues and problems: ailing parents or family members, past heartaches, and seeking a new life. The stories all feature strong female lead characters. Each is satisfactorily wrapped up in the end. While they take place at Christmas time, the holiday is not the main focus of the stories. They focus primarily on family situations and interactions.

These stories do not sugar coat the Amish life, but present a realistic picture of people dealing with daily problems. That is what I liked most about these novellas. The plots and settings were realistic, described in enough detail to allow the reader to picture them, yet not too wordy. The Christian message is clear, yet fits in well as a thread without overwhelming to the story line.

Readers who enjoy short stories and strong female lead characters, as well as a depiction of Amish life, will enjoy this book.

I received this book from the publisher and from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own.
Make a cup of hot chocolate and sit down to enjoy this collection of Amish novellas. You will soon be humming Christmas carols and be ready to start your Christmas baking with the delicious sounding recipes included with each story. I found myself getting into the Christmas spirit by the end of the first chapter. If you are like me, you devour a good read and this book certainly whet my appetite.

Each story brings you to an Amish kitchen , the center of family life. An Amish Family Christmas by Leslie Gould  is focused on a young woman who has lost her mother in recent months and is now working hard to work at the family bakery as well as care for her father. Then.... a former boy friend appears on the scene. This thought provoking story deals with all the important things in life, forgiveness, love and having faith when times are tough.

An Amish Christmas Recipe Box by Jan Drexler tells a very different, unique love story  showing the importance of baking delicious treats to gain the attention of a certain young man.... however it's the wrong man!!! Ada finds love in the most unexpected way!

All three novellas had realistic characters who grabbed you and pulled you into the story. Every joy, hurt, challenge and success could be felt as you walked alongside these dear people.

Although each novella was short, the plots were intricately woven, filled with unexpected twists and turns, keeping the reader's interest from beginning to end.

This is the perfect easy read for the Christmas season. Don't miss it.

This book was supplied by the authors. The thoughts and opinions expressed are honest and my own.
I love Christmas, I love novellas (they’re fast and easy to read!), and I love Amish, so what better combination than all three wrapped up into one amazing collection? There isn’t anything better, if you ask me. And, I have to say, this collection was worth the anticipation, worth the wait. All these authors did a fabulous job!

But, one specific story I want to focus on is Kate Lloyd’s An Unexpected Christmas Gift. After reading all of Lloyd’s other novels, I knew I needed to read this story. And, I will tell you, I was not disappointed! It was a quick read, I read it in just an hour, but it was packed full of amazing characters, and one heart warming, soul moving message of truth and forgiveness.

Following Maria Romano and her story was moving. I loved every minute of this holiday novella. I fell in love with Naomi, Nancy, Anna and Silas, the Amish family that invited her in, I fell in love with Maria herself and Naomi’s sister Linda, I loved Troy Bennett and despite my food allergies and not able to eat a lot of delicious amazing food, I fell in love with the recipe that Lloyd included in the story. I will definitely be making the Christmas Caramel Cake for my guys!

If you’re a fan of Christmas, Amish, and working in the kitchen, then I will tell you right now. This is a collection of stories you don’t want to miss. All the stories are worthy of 4 stars and have a touch of romance woven in. Don’t miss it! You’ll be sharing this collection of holiday stories with all your book loving, Amish loving friends.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Publisher, Bethany House Publishers and was under no obligation to post a review, positive or negative.*
I'm always saying I'm not a huge fan of novellas and that remains true today. However, I enjoyed reading these three stories by popular Amish fiction authors. These holiday-themed stories were well-written and complete stories. The stories never felt rushed or lacking in any way.

This would be a great collection to add to the shelves of Amish fiction readers. It would also be a great way to introduce someone to the genre.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher and was not required to write a review. All opinions are mine.
I fell in love with all three of these novels.  So beautifully written about the Amish lifestyle, they take you right in to their homes.  Each book was unique  and I couldn't wait till I was able to read the next one!

I laughed, cried, and rejoiced in the happiness of the Christmas  season.  Although this was a Christmas book I had no problem reading it in the middle of August.

All three women struggle  with finding the love of their life and are convinced they need to find their future husbands soon. I  loved reading about their hopes and dreams.  At times I was very concerned they would fall for the wrong one!  All of them were very hard working and I could almost smell the baking of cookies and cakes (some of the recipes are included).   I would love to have all their energy!

These novellas will warm your heart.  A great great Amish read!

This book was given to me by Netgalley.  All of the opinions were my own.
A collection of three novellas, An Amish Christmas Kitchen showcases the work of three well known Amish fiction writers: Leslie Gould, Jan Drexler, and Kate Lloyd.

The first novella, An Amish Family Christmas, tells the story of a young Noelle who struggles to find her place in the family business.  Always behind the series, a busy Christmas season pushes her into the forefront as she must take her sister's place selling pies at the Christmas market.  While there, she encounters new friends and an old flame.  And when her sister begins acting strangely about the family Christmas plans, Noelle must decide for herself how she sees her future.

The second novella, An Amish Christmas Recipe, follows Ada as she seeks to win a young man's affections ... through baking him Christmas cookies, of course.  But when the young man's character proves to be questionable, a new beau emerges.  A wonderful story that proves looks can sometimes be deceiving.

The final novella, Unexpected Christmas Gift, introduces Maria, who through a strange turn of events, finds herself in Amish country looking for her birth family.  Stranded by the side of the road in a snow storm, Maria bring her heart ache, and her English ways, into the lives of the Miller family as she looks for answers.

Each novella highlights new characters and can be read as a stand alone story.  Centered around the Amish/Mennonite communities, the stories are lighthearted and draw on the theme of hospitality in the kitchen.  My favorite of the three novellas was the first by Leslie Gould.  An Amish Family Christmas has the most in-depth storyline within the confines of a smaller space.  These shorter, themed collections are perfect for relaxing in the midst of a busy holiday season.

*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
An Amish Christmas Kitchen by Kate Lloyd, Jan Drexler and Leslie Gould contains three heartwarming holiday stories.  I thought all three novellas were well-written and engaging.  I started reading An Amish Family Christmas one evening and just kept reading until I finished all three (it was a late night).  The novellas contain great characters and lovely settings.  We see how the Amish focus on family and the true reason for the holiday season.  I like the life lessons featured in each story with my favorite being a person’s heart is more important than their appearance.  The romance plays out softly in each story which I appreciated.  The stories are realistic with feel good endings.  One of my favorite phrases is, “Life is only as short and hard as we make it.”  It is important to remember the true meaning of Christmas and that only He can bring us the peace and joy we desire.  There is a recipe for one of the mouthwatering baked goods featured in the story at the end of each novella.  An Amish Christmas Kitchen will have you wanting to drag out your Christmas decorations and start baking your favorite Christmas cookies.
I found all three of these novellas to be sweet and on par with typical Amish Fiction. Kate Lloyd’s seemed to be the most outside-the-box in that it includes a woman outside the Amish community searching for her roots.

The recipes included with each story sound delicious and I can’t wait to try them out.

After reading these novellas, I can’t wait for Christmas. The settings of each story and the love and attention to detail set a perfect stage. Each author did a marvelous job of creating delightful characters, with just enough backstory to draw the reader in for the duration.

There was a deep sense of faith and family in each novella, and the love found encompassed the entirety of the season while giving honor to God and the birth of His son.

I was provided a copy of this book through NetGalley. I was not required to leave a positive review. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
This book contains three different, but the same in that the time period is around Christmas, and contains yummy Amish food [some awesome recipes included], and each offers a little sweet romance.
Now I found myself quickly into each story, and like the “you can’t eat just one”, well I couldn’t read just one, and if life didn’t get in the way I would have finished this in one sitting!
Loved how the minds of these author worked, and each story pulled me in and kept my attention, only complaint, I didn’t want to leave them!
You don’t want to miss this one!
I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Bethany House, and was not required to give a positive review.
Earlier I had reported that Netgalley copy was messed up and it is! So I waited on my print copy.
Some pretty fabulous authors and stories in here for certain sure.
There's a little something for everyone and I know I spent a wonderful afternoon reading with no one to bother me. If you're an early Christmas reader then this will get you into the Christmas mood. Me I'm a procrastinator. I don't like celebrating Christmas too early. It has a tendency to ruin it for me.
I think that my favorite story will be the one by Leslie Could.
There are great characters in here and a love and friendship like no other. This story will also make you drool but then every Amish does because of their famous cooking and as always with any Amish book there are some wonderful recipes at the end of each chapter like for example An Amish family Christmas has Baked Creamsticks. Never heard of them but they sure sound good!!
The 2nd one
An Amish Christmas Recipe Box certainly will make you grin as we watch this young woman Ada try woo an Amish man named Amos. I like that name. It was my uncle's name. They always did say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Some cases this is true even for Englishers. Although how Amos acts I want to pop him one. His attitude stinks.
Will he and Ada get together or does God have something or someone else in mind for Ada? You'll just have to read the story to find out!
 I loved this one too.! Jan is an awesome writer. She sweeps you away in the 1st chapter of the novella
My favorite cookie is the sugar cookies. My mom's specialty. She'd yell at me if I touched the dough.
There's another neat recipe at the end of this novella. Sounds yummy!
Kate Lloyd story An Unexpected Christmas gift is good too. The recipe Carmel Christmas Cake sounds yummy too. I think I'd like to try this this year.
Each story is a delight! For Amish fans a like will enjoy these sweet stories and get excited about Christmas
My thanks to Bethany House for a copy of this book. NO compensations were received and all opinions are my own.
I will reread this book as it gets closer to Christmas.