The Dreaming Vol. 1: Pathways and Emanations (The Sandman Universe)

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 Jun 2019

This title is misleading with the inclusion of Neil Gaiman's name. I wish I could like Spurrier's writing, but in comparison, it is not up to par with Mr. Gaiman's. The art shifts too often between the issues, and the story did not pique nor keep my interest.
I'm not really familiar with Sandman, so I went into this blind- I've heard of Sandman, just never read it. The artwork was pretty groovy, and I enjoyed the story. While I know there's stuff in the story I missed, I was able to figure out what was going on without much trouble. This definitely made me want to start Sandman from the beginning!

#TheDreamingVol1pathwaysAndEmanationsTheSandmanUniverse #NetGalley
I really wanted to love this book, but it didn't happen. The artwork was lovely, but the story didn't catch me as the previous Sandman stories could.
The Dreaming: Pathways and Emanations is a solid start to The Sandman Universe. The creative team behind the book understands Gaiman's universe and has a knack for telling engaging stories. A must-read for fans of The Sandman.
I received an ARC of this from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I loved the artwork in this graphic novel, it’s awesome. For the most part, the stories/editions were well done. The humour in the first 2 stories had me laughing out loud. Overall I enjoyed it and I’d pick up the next group of stories in the Sandman universe.
Interesting take on the universe created by Gaiman. The book tells the story of dreaming, after Dream left the realm. The story starts a bit slow, but the pace picks up around the middle of the book. The problem for me personally was, that while familiar with Sandman, I read it a LONG time ago. Some of the minor characters and plot points mentioned here went over my head. It would be nice, if more background was given by the writers for the readers who are not as fluent in this world. The art was mostly solid, but rarely impressive.
When it comes to books, I can be a very simple human being. Did I saw this Sandman on NetGalley and almost went through my screen because I was so eager to request it? Sure I did.

(I had pretty much the same reaction when I learned that Netflix would create a Sandman series... Now? I'm scared if it will be a good adaptation or not. And I keep wondering if I want them to follow closely the original or to go the same way the creators of Lucifer went.)

Back to the Dreaming. Turn the first page was so exciting! I could not believe that I was back! The Dreaming! And the first pages, wow, back. I was ecstatic!

However, as I progressed, the excitement started to die down. I kept wondering "Didn't we all read this before? Lord of the Dreaming is missing." AGAIN?

And that feeling never left me. What worked once, or twice or even three times... did not work this time.

Plus, I just cannot stand Dora.

However, despite all that, The Dreaming and Sandman is something... it's so high up there that it's so hard to achieve that level of brilliance.

Was this good? Yes. Did it measure up to the original series? No.
Daniel has abandoned the Dreaming and left the supporting cast of Sandman to their own devices.  Things quickly spiral out of control as no one knows where Daniel went or what to do in his absence.  This actually isn't bad, which is always a worry when someone else plays in Neil Gaiman's sandbox.  The story is too decompressed and spins it's wheels for multiple issues but overall I liked it.  Bilquis Evely's art is gorgeous, like it was meant for a book like Sandman.  She's great at drawing this quirky cast of characters and their environs.
I'm a big fan of Neil Gaiman and The Sandman Universe, so I was very eager to read the new spinoff series curated by Gaiman in honour of Sandman's 30th anniversary.  Simon Spurrier does a great job of the writing (which still feels very Gaiman-esque) and Bilquis Evely's art is simply stunning - creative, dark, and detailed.  It was great to reunite with many old characters from the Dreaming as well as to meet new characters.  I also liked the way in which other stories from the parallel collections were seeded into the narrative.  I'll definitely be reading Lucifer, House of Whispers and Books of Magic as well.
'The Dreaming Vol. 1: Pathways and Emanations (the Sandman Universe)'
by Simon Spurrier with art by Bilquis Evely is a kind of spinoff of the acclaimed Sandman series by Neil Gaiman.  This is not a good place to start in this world.  You need to have some familiarity with what has happened before.

Lord Daniel, aka Sleep, has gone missing.  He's actually been missing for a while and librarian Lucien has done a fair job of covering it up, but the cracks are starting to show.  Literally.  The dreamworld is falling apart and needs a new leader.  Mervyn Pumpkinhead thinks he knows better (he doesn't), so he finds the forbodingly named Judge Gallows and sets him loose.  Now the only thing that might set things right (or even stranger) is newcomer Dora with her monstrous temper.

The art is really good, but, unfortunately, the story had a hard time keeping my attention.  Some of the narrative just kind of drones on and on.   I'm still in for more of this series though, and there were things to like in it.  Especially Dora.

I received a review copy of this graphic novel from DC Entertainment and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this graphic novel.
The Dreaming Vol 1 took me on a rather intriguing journey. It was full of fantastical creatures, some with amazing powers. Some of these characters were unaware of just how strong they truly were. When things started getting bad in this land, risks were taken to try and save it. Sadly some of these decisions only seemed to make things worse. Just when it looked like it was hopeless, a salvation of sorts arrived. Yet it wasn’t clear as this tale came to a close what the future may hold for this magical place.
The Dreaming, Vol. 1: Pathways and Emanations by Spurrier, Gaiman, et. al. is a free NetGalley e-comicbook that I read in early June.

Whoaaaa, it's eyepoppingly colorful and detailed, as epic in appearance as it is in content with its giant cast of characters who live in a kind of decadent OlympusValhalla called The Dreaming: a librarian Lucien assisted by a jack o’scarecrow named Mervyn; Dora, who is next to the dying in their last moments and can go a bit off the handle; The Alligator King of Louisiana; Lucifer, the ageless ancient prince of hell; Balam, the hypermasculine, imposing, huge duke of hell; ominous, olde Western Judge Gallows (so much so, you can hear the reedy sigh of wind through a harmonica), who challenges The Dreaming and seeks to attack its inhabitants; and the simple-spoken Ziggy, who’s in similar cahoots with Mervyn.
actual rating: 3.5

I am still kind of unsure whether I want to round this up or down, but I did enjoy it overall so I think 4 stars is a fair rating. I have always had a very hit or miss relationship with the Sandman universe so I wasn't sure what to expect from this, but I was actually pleasantly surprised. There are some blanks that I feel should have been filled in better [like WHY is Daniel leaving? Other than 'he's boring' lol], and other mysteries that are being intentionally drawn out [WHAT is Dora?? I need to knooow!]. I liked how every issue kind of focused on a different narrator so we got a lot of different points of view on the unfolding situation [I would have loved to see more of Eve, but maybe she'll get a spotlight in a future issue].

I absolutely love Dora so I can't wait to see more of her. Yeah she's a total mess and not always a 'good' or likable person, but she is incredibly real and I love messy characters [especially when they're women, we so rarely get to be anything but 'perfect']. I do agree that the whole 'border' issue is a bit transparent and ham-fisted, but I'd rather read something obvious that comes down on the right side of the issue than something that is more subtle but ultimately much more insidious. A very interesting start and I'll definitely be checking out the next volume.
Daniel, Lord of the Dreaming, has disappeared. Denizens are now subject to monstrous dreams, creatures beyond the borders of the realm, and madness is descending upon all of the senior storytellers of the Dreaming. Opportunists try to seize this as an opportunity, but it opens up a whole host of other problems.

Pathways and Emanations is the first of four volumes expanding on the Sandman series written by Neil Gaiman. He wrote the first part of this volume, where we discover the crack in the sky and that Daniel is gone. Lucien the Librarian tasked Matthew the Raven to go look for him wherever he can, and Matthew discovers a lot of oddities instead of Daniel. They make sense for readers of the Sandman series since we see a lot of the other characters from that series again. Lucifer and other denizens of hell, Eve, Mervyn, and all of the background characters that make sure the Dreaming is running smoothly are back. We're also introduced to Dora, a relative newcomer to the Dreaming, who steals bits of dreams to give to others. She needs actual food and sleep and can create portals into and out of the dreaming, as well as breakthrough dreams while knowing who the dreamer is. The other denizens of the Dreaming don't know these things, even those that have been there for millennia.

There's a larger story at work here, of course, because this is volume one. Not to spoil the twists in the plot of this volume, it very much echoes some of the story arcs within the Sandman comic run, and does refer back to it at times. This story works better if you know who the characters are and why they act the way they do, but there are enough references to their role within the Dreaming that it isn't entirely necessary to be familiar with the first run. Though if you haven't read them, please do yourself a favor and read them. The Sandman follows Dream of the Endless, one of the seven eternal beings that rule over an aspect of reality. Myths and stories are born in the Dreaming, so there are threads of myths from various cultures that are woven throughout the series. This one doesn't carry the same scope, but it does feel as though later volumes of this series just might.
Neil Gaiman has always commented about the possibility of more Sandman, and so to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the title, DC published a line of comic books under its Vertigo imprint. With each comic being overseen by Gaiman, but written by new creative teams, The Sandman Universe begins in a very similar manner as when DC began their Rebirth initiative, by launching with a one-shot issue about this obscure universe, setting up the narrative of the four comics.
"Wouldn't want yer audience gettin' bored."  So says someone about halfway in this.  But it was too late – that audience, me, was already bored.  I plodded on, regardless, but all I found was a well-drawn head comic.  So if that was what they wanted – to recreate the days of 70s spliffed-up bollux, with stories that make no sense and only appeal to junkies' inner minds like wow man – then they succeeded.  If they wanted a cogent, coherent narrative, then they failed miserably.
The Dreaming Vol. 1: Pathways and Emanations is a graphic novel collection of "The Sandman Universe 1" and the first 6 issues of "The Dreaming" . Due out 11th June 2019 from Vertigo, it's 195 pages and available in paperback and ebook (comiXology) formats.

The pencils by Bilquis Evely and coloring by Mat Lopes are sublime and fit the narrative perfectly. It's always a little bit nerve-wracking when other people are writing storylines in worlds which are dear to me, but in this case, Simon Spurrier shows once again that he is a masterful storyteller. These issues felt very seamless and I loved the tie-in cameos. I don't know how much direct input Neil Gaiman had on the story arc, but they fit so well in the Sandman universe. I continue to be very impressed.

As most (all?) of the Vertigo titles are for more mature readers, there is a large amount of violence, supernatural themes, demonic possession, etc etc.

The graphic novel includes extra content such as alternate cover art and tantalizing sketchbook glimpses.

I literally grew up in a comic/fandom family and Sandman was the comic 'soundtrack' of my early adulthood. I've loved it deeply for decades and this series is a worthy bearer of the franchise name.

Four and a half stars.
The Sandman, la serie anni '90 creata da Neil Gaiman, è una delle mie preferite di sempre.

Sono venticinque anni che la leggo e la rileggo, scoprendo sempre nuove sfumature, nuovi significati, nuovi incantevoli dettagli nelle tavole.

Il problema è che, nella stragrande maggioranza dei casi, ho trovato tutti i derivati scadenti - problema relativo, si dirà: basta evitarli. Eppure ne sento il richiamo, che mi ha portato a infrangere la mia regola aurea (niente derivati, appunto) e a richiedere il primo volume di questa nuova serie, ambientata nello stesso universo con personaggi sia vecchi che nuovi, che si muovono sotto l'egida del nuovo Sogno.

Metto le mani avanti: non sono scappata via urlando dopo le prime tavole, ma nemmeno ho trovato niente che stuzzicasse il mio interesse; un fumetto blando, di vago interesse per i lettori per la presenza di personaggi secondari molto amati (a partire da Lucien passando per Caino e Abele arrivando a Eva), ma che davvero mi ha dato poco.

Potrei dire: "Un'occasione sprecata", se in un certo senso non me lo fossi aspettato.
The Dreaming Vol.1 shares the first 50 pages or so with the other stories in "The Sandman Universe" before the true story of the dreaming really becomes the focus of the story. Lord of Dreams is gone and in his absence the Dreaming is falling apart, cracking and breaking. A battle breaks out between the creatures of the Dreaming and monsters to rule all of the Dreaming. Strange and unexpected, the story is all over the place with the paranormal and myths. The art is perfect for the story and expresses the mood expertly. Creepy and weird for an enjoyably paranormal graphic novel. My voluntary, unbiased review is based upon a review copy from Netgalley.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher I was able to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
***
I enjoyed jumping back into the Sandman universe, it’s been a long while since I’ve read Sandman so I’d forgotten how utterly bizarre and magical the world of the dreaming and the characters there in are. If was fun seeing some old faces and the introduction of Dora I think was a great addition to the world. Her mystery was probably the best part of the book.

The Dreaming Vol. 1 has you seeing the world falling apart, Lord Daniel has fled and it is having repercussions on the world. Merv makes questionable choices in light of the knowledge he gains, Lucien is having a rough time of it, Matthew the all knowing raven has some information to share, and Dora has decided she doesn’t care about what anyone thinks of her. A bit like a honey badger.

A lot happens and is being set up for future storylines. There is another, god?!?, awakening in place of Daniels absence and another runs amok forcing control and order on the inhabitants that doesn’t fit the world at all. Judge Gallows was a bit over the top and not my favorite part of the book but I’m curious to see where this is going to all go.