Cover Image: The Avant-Guards Vol. 1

The Avant-Guards Vol. 1

Loved the cast of characters, Definitely bought the comic. This is a fun read and would recommend picking it up in between fantasy reads.
This was a quick and exciting read. I love how the characters interacted with each other through out the story,
This was such a fun start to a new series! Thos volume follows Charlie, who has just started a new college and gets talked into joining the all-women basketball team.

I love how diverse this story is and there are so many interesting, confident women. It was wonderful to see lots of queer characters and characters with all different body types playing sports. There's also a budding romance that I got very invested in, so I can't wait to see how that develops. The art style is charismatic and bright, and I'm looking forward to the next volume.
This gives me Fence vibes which is one of my favorite series... so I did definitely enjoy this. Obviously this is only the first volume so we are just meeting everyone and setting up the next volume, but it overall caught my attention and kept it. I plan to continue the series! I also was a basketball player when I was younger so it's kinda cool to see that in print!!
I ADORE this series about an unlikely group of girls creating a basketball team. The characters are well fleshed out, the plot is fun and fast paced, and I love the inclusivity of both sexuality and gender expression. I can’t wait to read more of the story, and have added a hard copy to my classroom library for my students to enjoy.
This graphic novel was adorable. The biggest issue I had with this collection is that there is not as much plot as I would have liked. This being a continuous comic series, the story may lend itself a bit better to binging the whole thing than reading volume by volume. However, the characters was truly the make-or-break aspect of this book. The diversity is incredible, but even with the limited page count, they each had a unique and well thought out characterization that I know will grow over the course of the different volumes. The art style is styled and colored well and helps translate the vibrancy of the world well. I will have to reread this before I pick up volume 2, but I sure will pick up the following volumes whenever I can.
This was such a fun read! I highly enjoyed the characters and the ending is just killing me! I need more now!
This was a fun read that I will be recommending for patrons that enjoy contemporary as well as fantasy graphic novels. I loved the colors used in this novel. The book was fun but still had some great moments that I feel are relatable.
I was curious to read something from Carly Usdin and I liked very much The Avant-Guards (It's a sport graphic novel so fun!) and I pretend to read more of her projects.
After reading Heavy Vynil Vol. 1 (the other comic by the same author) I knew I wanted to read this one as well! Liked it just as much and it was enough to make me want to continue this series.
This was a cute graphic novel. The art was stunning but I felt the story was lacking. Its all good thought because this was a unique read.
I was provided an e-arc from netgalley to read and review

I unfortunately missed the opportunity to read
THe pacing of the Advent-Guards is delightful. We aren't thrown into any environment too quickly, and the art style conveys all the particularities of the characters. Great representation, no forced romantic plots, also PUPPIES
The Avant-Guards Vol. 1 provides the background of the diverse characters who star in this quirky new series. I enjoyed the illustrations and enjoyed some of the personalities, but I found the plot to be slow-moving.
This was a sweet, fun, gentle read. I especially enjoyed the aspect of finding oneself and friendship portrayed in this book. I loved the diverse cast of characters and immense amount of representation in this graphic novel. I have several people in mind that I know would like this book!
A new graphic novel series about college students at a super liberal art school who form a women's basketball team. The only sports team at the school.

The main character is Charlie, a transfer student with "mysterious new girl vibes." She looks like she's been to the gym a couple times, so Liv, the captain of the Avant-Gaurds tries to convince her to join their team. Liv also has a huge, adorable crush on Charlie. All the characters from the team are nicely developed with their own distinct voices.

The illustrations are big, bright, and fun. Beautiful, refreshingly diverse escapism. Big "Giant Days" vibes, and would be perfect for fans of New Adult fiction set at university.
This book gives children a glimpse into life at an art college which I find very original.  Liv is full of energy and ready to check everything off her to do list before noon. Her initiative paired with fast talking  jump off the page. Liv is the definition of the person I wish I could be. She is a go-getter that doesn't take No for an answer even when it comes to creating a whole league of woman basketball players. Our main character Charlie is a transfer student that Liv tries to recruit for the basketball team and maybe for something more as well(wink wink). Each character on the team is an individual and I hope we learn more about them in other volumes. Three characters on the team are queer but I was left wondering if that is a common thread that brings them all together. Love, dating, and crushes are definitely on their minds. The colors are perfect and each character has an individual look. When the story ended all I wanted to do was pick up Volume 2. I want more of every character, more basketball, more parties, just more in the best way possible. Middle school kids and older will love this Queer Graphic Novel. Side Note: The term "hooking up" is the only thing that kept me from saying 5th/6th graders.
★★★★☆ || Funny and fresh story about a bunch of art students playing basketball!

From the casual queer & PoC representation to the basketball emotions this story was a blast!

There were lots of obstacles to get this team going but the organisation goddess Liv never gave up and if she needs to stalk the grumpy transfer student Charlie she will do it.  She's sure she can convince her and, hey, if she flirts with her while at it, who's to judge?

But the cute f/f romance is not the only good thing about this comic book! (Nor is it the only queer content present.) The team building is a great ground for the potential found family. The banter and the friendship between the players are amazing. The dialogue feels genuine and like I could overhear it at an actual uni.

AND BASKETBALL WAS FUN!! Sure, they played to win but also the fun and the team went first. And isn't that good to see in the anxiety-ridden world?
The Avant-Guards is an intensely cute comic that surprised and delighted me in so many ways. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when I went into it because I basically associate basketball with middle school gym class rage, but it really hit the spot for me in ways I didn't anticipate.

The story is genuinely a fun one that pulled me in with a lot of different aspects. The basketball team plot engaged me in a way I didn't expect it to, and I was so excited to see them work out as a team, and I'm genuinely eager to see where that goes. I was also very invested in the f/f will-they-won't-they romantic plot, and I'm desperate to see more of that. I have a soft spot for any book that is so overwhelmingly queer and that understands that irl LGBTQ people aren't tokens and often flock together. All of the characters were super cute, and while they could be a bit much, they reminded me of people I know.

The art was super cute, and I felt like it suited the story pretty perfectly. It's one of those ones where if the plot and characters had been described to me before I ever saw the art, I would have imagined it pretty similar to how it turned out. The bubbly colours really work with the story and characters.

Overall, The Avant-Guards was a surprise and a delight, a truly fun and cute comic. I genuinely look forward to seeing where the story goes. I would definitely recommend it.
Charlie has just moved to Georgia O'Keeffe College of Arts and Subtle Dramatics. She is new and doesn't quite know how to handle her arrival, so she starts going around school and finds young people who take care of a basketball team. A decidedly badly assorted group. At that moment, for a closed and shy girl like Charlie, finding herself in front of this noisy band of boys to force her to join their sports team seems anything but positive.
A first volume also crackles that leaves and brings with it many questions. What is Charlie's past hiding? Yet she seems to be a very good basketball player. Will the guys on the team be able to convince the young woman to take part in it? A particularly enigmatic character that we hope to know better in the next volumes.
A story for sports lovers, but also for all those who want to read an original, romantic and full of sports graphic novel. Definitely recommend.