Cover Image: Expire

Expire

I made the mistake of reading this book out of order but I did really enjoy it and look forward to reading the other ones in this series. Great suspenseful writing.
I made two mistakes that affected my experience of this book: I jumped in blind at the end of a series and I tried to alternate reading and audio. Needless to say, I was utterly lost and it's all my fault. That said, it's a testament to good writing that I still found this story engaging and interesting. I will go back and do it the right way, start on book 1, stick to one format and enjoy the ride.
Finally it's the end of a long story... the end of the nightmare that has haunted Anna for almost 10 years... will she finally get rid of Spencer for once and all or will he get to her 1st....
will Anna finally get her happily ever after with Hal..... in this high paced finale .... Anna has to find ways to stay alive and protect herself while Hal looks for her while trailing after Spencer.
EXPIRE by Danielle Girard is a dark psychological thriller of a woman stalked by her abusive ex husband. Now she’s kidnapped by someone else? This is a nonstop ride of emotions and you really do want to take it.
An absolutely great thriller that had me wondering what I would do if I were kidnapped and held with no hope.  As the story plays out, our "bad" guy keeps just out of the light enough that we cannot figure out who he is and why he would set up a confinement like this.  The race to find the good doctor and her efforts to identify her captor and free herself meet up with a bang.  Danielle Girard has done an excellent job of keeping my attention tuned to Expire for the last couple of days.
Another great story in this series.  This is a dark thriller that will keep you up at night.  A kidnap victim is her in an unknown location by  someone she does not know .. She is convinced her ex-husband is behind it but she is chained  to a leash that only allows her to get to the bathroom and kitchen, and all the water and food is drugged,
how will anyone find her as she struggles to free herself before she is killed.
What a book! And what a conclusion to this series. I love that this book throws you right into the middle of the action and doesn't let you go.
Wow this book was nuts. I can't describe how suspenseful it was. It kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. There where a few things that I didn't actually see coming that caught me by surprise.

I highly recommend Expire if your looking for a fast paced, edge of your seat mystery thriller.

Rating 3
This book has a lot of suspense, kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I also feel the author did an amazing job with how she set up the story, she was able to switch between the characters flawlessly! The ending was action packed and cathartic. Highly recommend!
This was an awesome book!!! It was filled with mystery, thrillers and lots of suspense. There was also lots of medical and police procedure attention involved but without having an overwhelming amount where I had to look up the procedures definitions so I knew what she was talking about so I could know what was going on. It actually added more mystery to story. This is definitely on of those suspense books that you have to keep reading because you just have to know what’s going to happen next and it ended great. I made the mistake and didn’t realize that this was the fourth book in the Dr. Schwartzman Book series, which didn’t hurt in the way of understanding what was going on, but the book was so great that now I definitely need to read the first three books. I would recommend this book to all the genre categories for mystery, thriller,suspense,medical and police procedures and just anyone who wants to read a book they can’t put down. ☺️
🤓❤️📚❣️
If you are new to the series, I suggest reading the series in order. This book continues significant elements that occurred in Book3. There is sufficient background to read it as a standalone, though nuance will be muted.
Dr. Annabelle Schwartzman is a complex character embodying strength, intelligence, resiliency and survivor. Fighting to outwit and escape her abductors she must use all the resources she possesses. Hal along with the FBI search for Anna, as the story seethes with tension.
I enjoyed all 4 books in this series.  I haven't read a book with a medical examiner point of view before this series and I loved how Dr. Schwartzman would describe the body and take the time to understand why the person had died.  In this final installment Anna is trying to survive from her captor while Hal is on a search for her knowing what her ex-husband Spencer is capable of.  I enjoyed this 4th book as much as the others and I am sad this sounds like the final book in the series.  This is a type of book, mystery, crime thriller that I don't often pick up but I always knew it would be a good read when I read these 4 books.   Thank you to NetGalley, Thomas & Mercer publishing and Danielle Girard for the opportunity to read this book and the others in the series!
I loved the first three books in this series, but this one fell flat.

Anna Schwartzman is a medical examiner in San Francisco, and the crimes she helped solve in the three earlier books were compelling and kept me interested. The additional storyline of her abusive ex-husband pursuing her allowed for great character development for Anna and her friend-turned-lover Hal Harris, a detective with SFPD. I loved all three books, and, when the third one ended on a cliffhanger, I couldn't wait to get my hands on book 4.

But this one doesn't live up to the first three. First of all, there is only one storyline here: Anna has been kidnapped and Hal is trying to find her. I missed the crime-solving aspect of the first three books. I liked watching Anna and Hal work together, and that element is completely missing from this book.

Second, there are a bunch of threads to this story that make no sense whatsoever. Who is Caleb? What insider trading scheme? Why is Anna's mom suddenly a completely different person than the character we've met before? Either leave that stuff out of the story or explain its connection to Anna and Hal better. As it is, it's just a distraction. I even flipped back through the book to try to find what I missed -- that's how little sense it made. As it turned out, I hadn't missed a thing -- the story is just poorly written.

There's also the kidnapper's brother and mom, who are apparently living (at least some of the time) in the house where Anna is being held. Mom knows Anna is there, knows she's tethered by the neck to a track in the ceiling, and seems perfectly okay with this. Say what? I'm supposed to believe that this woman's son brought home a hog-tied woman and trussed her up in the bedroom, and she just shrugged? The brother doesn't make sense either -- unless he's going to add something to the story, why introduce him at all?

Then there's the drugged water. Anna finds that her kidnapper is drugging the tap water -- she can see the little tank outside that holds the drug, and finds where it feeds into the water line. Then she finds that somehow the shower water and bathroom sink water are also drugged. Huh? Are there three tanks holding drugs? And what kidnapper is going to drug the freaking shower? It's so ridiculous it took me right out of the story.

But the worst part is that this book turns Hal into a sniveling crybaby, and I hate that. I love his character, and I loved watching him and Anna fall in love. Hal is NOT a crybaby -- he's a detective, for crying out loud, and he gets stuff done. But he spends this whole book whining about all the help he's not getting and how helpless he feels. I get that, but it's so out of character.

Hal is also forced to spend some time solving another crime for his actual job, rather than looking for Anna. At first I thought this was going to be the author's way of introducing a compelling crime narrative alongside the Anna storyline. But that didn't happen at all -- we scarcely knew there WAS a crime. It was exactly what Hal said it was -- something he had to do that took time away from the search for Anna. So why introduce it (and the substitute medical examiner) at all? Just another weird stub of story that didn't even need to be there.

Overall, I really disliked this book, and that made me sad, since I had loved the first three so much. If you've read the first three, you're going to want to read this one, if for no other reason than the cliffhanger from book 3. Otherwise? Don't waste your time.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a Kindle ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
Very good book! This is the 4th book in this series but can be read as a stand alone. If you want to know more about the characters and how they came to be where they are in life then I would suggest reading the other books in this series as well. The main storyline about Anna and her ex  stalker husband spencer goes through all the books but can be easily understood in this book without reading others first. In this one Anna is kidnaped and held captive by a collar on a cable in a remote cabin. she has to try and survive while dealing with poisoned water and cruel treatment at the same time worrying if she is pregnant as well. Her significant other Hal is a detective and tries to find her while dealing with prejudice in the south. Very good storyline honestly had to stay with it until I read it all kept me hooked until the very end.  I would definitely recommend this to anyone that like on the edge reading!!
That ending... It was perfect. And even so, I cried. Reading the story was a roller coaster ride with a lot of fear. Fear for Anna, but also for Hal and even for Georgia. Everything felt really dark for a while and I could only hope for someone figuring it out and help. So, there was a lot of holding my breath, calming my racing heart and taking deep breaths. I read the book in one sitting. It’s impossible to put it down, it grips you from the start and all you can do is hanging on for the ride.
This is book 4 in the series and picks up exactly where Expose finishes. I would definitely recommend reading these in order otherwise you might miss out on how horrendous Spencer is. I liked how this one tied everything up but I preferred the other 3. I think it was because this one lacked the crime-solving element. They added in a secondary crime to distract Hal but we didn’t get much information on it and it was all tied up pretty quick.

It was a bit slow in places as well, especially with how much detail and time was spent on Anna finding non drugged water. It got a bit repetitive and dull.

That being said it was a good finale. I absolutely adore Anna and Hal and they are such an adorable couple. The suspense of wondering if and how Anna was going to escape and if Hal was going to be able to find her in time made it an exciting read. The ending was the explosive and dramatic ending I needed.

I would love to get to see Anna fighting crime without the threat of Spencer. If you love crime books featuring a medical examiner then I highly recommend this series. They are written so well and have some loveable characters.

I received a copy of the ebook via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
The writing starts out a little stilted, but actually gets better and better. The plot is also OK, but is based on a little too much stupidity to be top notch. The characters are believable and the dialogue is also OK. Good entertainment, but nothing special.
This 4th addition to the Dr Schwartzman series is awesome. It is a fast paced thriller all the way! I was invested in the mystery from the beginning chapter. The storyline is very well developed and entertaining. I highly recommend this series. I received an advance copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving this review
Danielle Girard continues her Dr. Schwartzman series in the best way. I could barely put down Expire. As a survivor of domestic abuse, this was my favorite installment of the series, yet it was also the scariest. Get ready for a satisfying and cleansing cry at the end. I highly recommend this entire series!
I have been waiting for this for a year! I was on the edge of my seat when this book finished last year and I’m glad the final book picked up right where it left off.

I’ve missed these characters, as I have grown to love them individually as well as together. Hal’s hunt for Anna has its ups and downs as Spencer is as evasive as ever.

As always, the writing is descriptive and paints a vivid picture.

I’m giving it 4 stars because it was slow in some parts. I also missed the crime solving aspect that was present in the other books and the interaction of the team members that I’ve come to care about.

Although the book didn’t go how I had envisioned, I am happy with how everything wrapped up.