The Betrayed Wife

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Aug 2019

Rats! This book was archived before I downloaded to my kindle. I’ll hunt for a physical copy when it comes my way.
Note to self:  do a thorough investigation on anyone who comes knocking on your front door, claiming to be a member of the family.  Oh, and while you're at it - investigate your husband as well!  THE BETRAYED WIFE  is a genuine thriller, complete with false leads and surprise twists.  A very fast-paced domestic drama.  Good for fans of Shari Lapena and Mary Kubica.
I'm very embarrassed to admit that I asked for the ARC from NetGalley by accident, having mistaken this author Kevin O'Brien for Tim O'Brien who wrote an award winning masterpiece about the Vietnam War and its profound and lingering impact on veterans, The Things They Carried. Therefore I was quite surprised and disappointed to find I'd signed on to read a contemporary psychological thriller about the O'Rourke family in Seattle, the skeletons in their closets, coming home to roost. I had no patience for long-suffering wife Sheila's putting up with her handsome, philandering husband Dylan, and even though I feel sorry for their three kids, and the illegitimate ones to boot, I won't be looking for more books by this author in future.
I really enjoyed this book by Kevin O'Brien.  There were lots of twists  and turns throughout. - some I guessed and others that really took me by surprise.  There is a lot going on in this book  - there's a philandering husband; a daughter he never knew about that comes to live with the family; a murder; strange occurrences; and so much more.   I have never read a book by Kevin O'Brien before but I was really happy to have found another author to read! Even though book was rather long for a thriller, it is fast paced and I zipped through it over a couple of days
3 for neutral.  Not a good read for me.  I just had a hard time getting through it,  will update later if able to enjoy.
Thank you to Netgalley, Kevin O'Brien and the publisher, Pinnacle Books, for allowing me an electronic ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I have been reading Kevin O'Brien's books, since his very first book was published, and I always look forward to the newest release by him.

Kevin has the best way of keeping the reader on the edge of their seat, while steadily racing from one chapter to the next.   I absolutely love the way that Kevin weaves the story line throughout each chapter.   This was not a disappointment, and I am ready to read his next one.

As always, it's a 5!!
Not my favorite book by this author. It is full of unlikable characters. There are plenty of twists that made me keep reading despite myself. I really wanted to reach into the pages and slap the characters so the author definitely succeeds in making you feel!
The Betrayed Wife by Kevin O'Brien is a so-so novel of psychological suspense.

Dylan and Sheila O’Rourke are married with three children. She knows he's not perfect, but he has supported her through hard times and cares about her. He was supportive about moving to Seattle after her rough patch and they are doing well now, right? Or is Sheila just doubting herself and seeing things when she feels like she's being watched, followed, and receives strange texts. She even tries to be as supportive as she can when sixteen-year-old Eden turns up, claiming to be Dylan’s child by another woman. Her mother has died and Dylan is her only remaining relative.

Right from the start a woman dies, so you know there is going to be some kind of suspense. Next we are introduced to Sheila, who is anxious, being followed, hearing noises, and keeps referring to her difficult times. Teenage son Steve is a good character, but the other two children are forgettable characters. Then Dylan shows his lack of morals and we learn about his serial affairs. And Sheila knows about him, but stays with him. At this point it is hard to keep reading this rather pedestrian novel of suspense because it feels like we have heard this story before: cheating husband, loopy wife, illegitimate child, and a deranged lunatic on the loose.

The narrative is mainly told through the point-of-view of Sheila, Dylan, Steve, and Eden. It does keep you reading, mostly while shaking your head and muttering about... well, the whole plot. I kept reading just to see what happened, how Eden was involved, who the crazy neighbor was, and if Sheila finally got a backbone and told Dylan bye-bye. Perhaps I need to avoid books with serial philandering unfaithful husbands.  I'm not sure it was totally worth powering through, especially when I got to the ending.

Disclosure: My review copy was courtesy of Kensington.
I’m sorry I didn’t enjoy this book at all. A husband that fools around with any woman that will look at him twice. His wife knows and accepts this. He has a previously unknown daughter knock on his door wanting to live with him. His wife accepts this. Then he falls in “love” with some woman he met at the gym. Still his wife won’t leave him for the sake of the kids. This is nuts - I’m too old for this.
Thanks to NetGalley for this arc in exchange for an honest review
What happens when you have a husband who is the ultimate philanderer and a wife who just lets him get away with it?

While I typically LOVE Kevin O'Brien's books, this one felt like it was missing something.  There were definitely twists and turns.  But I think the fact that husband was such a wimp and too willing to hop into the sack with other women turned me off.  There were crazy and evil characters, which is characteristic of the author's books.  And you will be left guessing you is behind all of chaos that is wreaking havoc on Sheila and her family.

And the end of the book just left me with my jaw hanging down in shock.  Not sure I really liked the ending, but it was one of those shocking end-of-the-book moments.

Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Wow! Extremely suspenseful and brilliant story!  The characters were well written and had me feeling all kinds of emotions for each one that I wasn't sure where I stood with many of them.  I have loved all of the books by Kevin that I have read and am looking forward to his future stories.
Alrighty then *Cracks knuckles* Let's do this!

I don't even know where to begin. I'll give you a very brief synopsis of the story:

Sheila and Dylan are married with three children. Sheila has been getting stalked by a disheveled young man and his Goth-like girlfriend. Sheila even discovers the pair in her house and finds out that this young lady, Eden, is Dylan's illegitimate daughter that he never knew about. Her mother, Antonia, recently died and having no other family she decides to come home to her Daddy. Surprise!!! 🎈🌟💥

I need to be honest and tell you all that this book pissed me right off.

The death of Antonia was such a huge eye roll for me. I mean COME ON!!! Of course she dies topless while tanning her perfect tight little body with perky tits on display. (At this point I went to see who the author of this book is and was totally not surprised that this was a man. Sorry, not sorry.) This party animal beds men after men or at least that is how the author describes her. So many men a person could hardly keep track. A real slut, ya know! Oh, and she's a terrible mother because, well, she's a slut that likes to party. Right-o, Mr. O'Brien - we get it!

Dylan, Dylan, Dylan - you sorry sack of shit. He has cheated on his wife Sheila about a gazillion times. He can't help it if woman throw themselves at him. He is handsome and charming and women simply can't keep their panties on when he's around. A real curse to be had! Then he meets Brook at the gym and after a 10 minute conversation he thinks he's in LOVE and will now do anything to steal away anytime he can with her including abandoning his wife and children! So irresistible! *swoons*

BARF.

Sheila, you seem like a nice lady, but it's time to put on your big girl pants and kick this douche to the curb. I'm tired of hearing your excuses....well he's a good Dad and he does always come home to me in the end. How immensely satisfying that must be for you. It's not his fault that he is so gorgeous. You're lucky to have him.

So in summation the women in the this book are either sluts, nymphomaniacs, psychotic, or just total sad sacks and, really, isn't it Dylan who we need to feel sorry for here? Poor guy really got himself into a jam this time. Boys will be boys, ya know.

This book was at least 100 pages too long. The ending left much to be desired. Seriously, Sheila, when will you fucking learn?

Pro's: I liked Steve their teenage son. That's it.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for providing me with a digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Great read. The author wrote a story that was interesting and moved at a pace that kept me engaged. The characters were easy to invest in.
Happy pub day to this gem - The Betrayed Wife by Kevin O’Brein. I was given an early copy to read and review!

I loved this book! Such a great twisty story with some very unlikeable characters. Really I found Dylan (the husband character) to be such a disgusting human being and Shelia (the wife) not too far behind him really - but in a different way!

This was a page turner and the ending was...well a bit confusing for me / although somewhat satisfying! It just got a bit muddled towards the end for me! 🤷‍♀️

Overall I love this author and this one is no exception. 3.5 solid thriller read for me! Check it out & realize how your own family isn’t really that bad after all!

Thanks to NetGalley and the author as well as publisher for this early copy! I enjoyed it!
Fast paced highly pyschlogical thriller with this book!   Kevin O'Brien just keeps getting better and better.  This book was so messed up on so many levels!  So many twists and turns!  The last page of the epilogue was the best part!  Now I'm left wondering...
#TheBetrayedWife#NetGalley

Sheila O'Rourk, whose marriage has always been rocky, discovers after seventeen years of marriage that Dylan, her unfaithful cad of a husband, has a sixteen year old daughter, Eden, by another woman!
Eden's mother recently died under mysterious circumstances, leaving Eden homeless. Out of the blue, Eden shows up at the O'Rourk home  and announces to Dylan that he is her father. Having no prior knowledge of this mysterious daughter, Dylan orders DNA testing. When confirmed that Eden is truly his daughter, he and Shelia agree to take her into their home. Immediate problems arise when their other three children are confronted with a new member of the family!  To add to this, Eden soon proves to be a very difficult house guest!!

Sheila's' life begins to deteriorate as she suddenly begins to receive strange and anonymous text messages, notices unsettling noises from the house next door, and has the eerie feeling that she is being followed and watched. To make matters worse, she begins to realize that the frequent near fatal "accidents" she is experiencing aren't really accidental. Acknowledging that someone is attempting to take her life, she doesn't know who to trust or where to turn. The big question is who wants Shelia dead??  There are many red herrings in the book to cause the reader to be unable to decide on the identity of the bad guy. As I rushed through many twists and turns, I was surprised several times when I thought I had it all figured out!  The ending turned out to be a huge shocker to me!!!

Those who love suspenseful, twisty thrills will race through this book!  Best selling author, Kevin O'Brian, has always been one of my go to authors, and he certainly didn't disappoint in this new novel. The Betrayed Wife, published by Kensington Books, will be out on the shelves on July 30, 2019. I highly recommend this book and give it a 5 Star rating. A fast paced plot, characters who are well developed, and a great story line!  What more could you want??

Thanks to the publishers and to NetGalley for my advanced copy. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.
I would like to thank Netgalley Kevin O'Brien and Kensington Books/Pinnacle for this arc.
This is the first time I have read anything by Kevin O'Brien and it won't be the last. I could not put this book down until I finished it. Very suspenseful. Although I guessed the twist it did not ruin the enjoyment of the story for me.
Four stars from me.
This was a hard to put down mystery. Every time I thought I had it figured out there was another twist. Sheila was easy to connect with. Her husband  Dylan was hard to like. All through the book someone was messing with Sheila. Cuting her brake line, destroying her flower garden. At first she thinks its her new step-daughter.Than the new neighbor. She is not sure who she just knows someone wants to hurt her or worse.    This book had me on the edge of my seat. Loved it.                                                                        I want to thank NetGalley for the chance to read this amazing book for an honest opinion.
The Betrayed Wife
by
Kevin O'Brien (Goodreads Author)

THE PERFECT FAMILY
Sheila O’Rourke has always known her husband isn’t perfect. Who is? But things have been better since they moved to Seattle to make a fresh start. So much so that when sixteen-year-old Eden turns up, claiming to be Dylan’s child by another woman, Sheila tries to be welcoming.

CAN BECOME
At first, Sheila feels sympathy for the girl. Eden’s mother recently fell to her death in an incident with unsettling parallels to Sheila’s past. Still, Eden is a difficult house guest, sowing discord among the family. Sheila has already been on edge for weeks, receiving anonymous texts, noticing odd noises coming from the house next door. And that’s just the start.

A PERFECT NIGHTMARE
Sheila wants to trust Dylan. She wants to feel safe in her own home. But no one can hurt you more easily than the ones closest to you . . . the ones you keep believing until it’s too late.
Kindle Edition, 544 pages
Expected publication: July 30th 2019 by Pinnacle

***

4.5 Stars

This book starts out showing the death of Antonia. She is thrown naked from the roof of her apartment building and her daughter, Eden is sent to live with her father, Dylan O'Roarke.  He had a fling with Toni sixteen years earlier. And his string of discarded women is immense. Needless to say, some of these women come with a lot of baggage.

Before Eden comes to live with them, she and her boyfriend Brodie start tormenting Dylan's wife Sheila. And then the trouble starts getting worse and worse for Sheila. Someone puts Visine in her cranberry juice and sets the dryer to give her a lethal shock. Then she finds glass ground in one of her liquor bottles. And Sheila vows to get to the bottom of these schemes but the situation continues to get worse.

The author really had me fooled. I take everything at face value so when the person who was really behind the gas lighting of Sheila was revealed, I was shocked. Good show, Kevin O'Brien! This novel disturbed me because this sort of thing could happen to any of us.

Highly recommended.

I want to thank NetGalley, the author and the publisher for allowing me to read this title in return for an honest review.
Sheila knows something is wrong, someone is watching her, someone is tampering with her car, the washing machine, and the garden did not just self destruct.

Dylan, although father of four, is a player. As the story progresses, one realises just how much of a player he is. He cannot walk past a woman without wanting to sleep with her.
Sheila is an extremely forgiving wife.

So why is somebody trying to kill her?

Very well written, at one point I felt like yelling at Dylan - it wasn't something nice either. Excellent book, I hope a cheating husband reads this... If this doesn't chill you to the bone, I don't know what would!

It's Fatal Attraction on steroids...

Thank you Netgalley and the author for allowing me to read this book. I try to review every book I read.