The Betrayed Wife

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Aug 2019

I am no longer interested in the content of this book. So, I'm DNF'ing this book for now. I may circle back around to this book one day.
What crazy fun that was! I remember smiling in the beginning and thinking this Shelia is a nut, but I didn't know the half of it! One of the best books I've read this year.
This book was fast paced. Hard to put down. It flowed well and it was very well written. It caught hold of me and had me hooked from the start . I was literally on the edge of my seat reading this book.
this book is full of secrets, twists, stalking, betrayal and lies. Your typical thriller. I quite enjoyed this book. It is very fast paced and I couldn't put it down.
This is a psychological thriller that fans will love. I found it a little to violent for my taste. Especially with young children around. Sheila and Dylan have moved to Seattle and things in their marriage seem to be getting better. Then Eden, a 16 year old arrives claiming to be Dylan's daughter. This story has good characters and a story line that is probably more common than not, you just don't hear about it. I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Sheila and Dylan are married with 3 kids. Dylan is the husband you love to hate, while Sheila is the forgiving, semi-insane wife.

It appears Dylan's infidelities are coming back to haunt them when Sheila starts receiving anonymous texts and feels herself being followed. Then a daughter that Dylan didn't know he had shows up at their door, and even worse things begin to happen. Women connected to Dylan are dying and someone is out to get Sheila now too..

The Betrayed Wife was a hard to put down thiller! Good luck figuring out who is the real 'betrayed wife'!

Thank you to NetGalley. Kevin O-Brien and Kensington Books for this read!
Meh. It was okay. Kind of reminded me of the same old plots we see on Lifetime Television for Women. Not a bad book, just tired of this particular plot.
2.5*
I’ve been looking forward to this read one for some time. Being somewhat familiar with the author Kevin O’Brien’s books over the years, I always wanted to read one, but somehow never had the opportunity. Until now…let’s do this!

To be honest, I came away with mixed feelings. At over 500 pages long, I feel it could have been just as effective (If not more so) trimming about 200 pages off of it. That said…for its size I must admit it did read fast! And my curiosity was piqued to see how this one would end.

I don’t think I’ve despised all the characters in a book more than those in this one. Well, with the exception of the teenage son. The only sensible, sweet one in the bunch! I think he needs a new family!

I struggled with the wife Sheila and what she tolerated! The oddest things seemed to bother her while blatant OMG moments were stuffed under the carpet. Ugh…frustrating!
It was those moments that prevented me from loving this book.

A buddy read with Susanne!

Thank you to NetGalley, Kensington Books and Kevin O’Brien for an ARC to read and review.
This is a suspense thriller, with the emphasis on suspense.  Shelia O’Rourke has a real problem with her playboy husband Dylan.  Although they move to Seattle to get a new start, Dylan is still up to his old habits and is chasing a woman that he met at the gym.  Meanwhile, Shelia feels that she is being stalked and is getting some really weird text messages.  The action ramps up when Eden, Dylan’s illegitimate daughter, shows up desiring to live with the family since her mom died and she has no one else to turn to.  The really weird things begin to happen after sixteen year-old Eden’s appearance.  Is she bringing trouble to the house or was the household already being threatened because of Dylan’s constant philandering?  This is the question that kept me reading.  There was not as much suspense in this book as I am accustomed to in O’Brien’s books, but the read was satisfactory and twisted enough for his fans to enjoy it.  The plot is twisted and addictive and with a real surprise at the end.
No marriage is perfect. That’s no different for Sheila and her husband Dylan. They have been through ups and downs in their 19 year marriage, but when a 16 year old girl shows up claiming to be the daughter from an affair Dylan had during a tough patch in their relationship, Sheila’s life is turned upside down.
Now while Sheila tries her best to accept Eden into their lives and the lives of their three children, she can’t help but feel that something about Eden just isn’t right. Is she behind the weird creepy texts she’s been getting? Even though Eden has denied it, and Dylan has asked that the occurrence be dropped Sheila just can’t let it go...
What if Eden isn’t as innocent as she claims to be? What if she’s something darker? Although if it’s not Eden then it may be someone much more dangerous
This one was fun but I found it to be a touch too long. Very intricate and everyone had their part to play. I have to say that I really loved Steve, the 15 year old son of Sheila and Dylan! I wish we got to have more happen in his part of the story. Overall I would say it was a decent read.
Thank you to Netgalley, Pinnacle and Kevin O’Brien for the e-ARC copy of this title in exchange for an honest review.
The Betrayed Wife, by Kevin O'Brien, is a novel of suspense, a roller coaster ride of many twists and turns, simply Unputdownable!
Sheila and Dylan are married with 3 children. Dylan has been unfaithful the entire time which leads to them being confronted by a 17 yr old girl claiming to be his daughter from one of his indiscretions.
Immediately things begin to take a turn for the worse for their family and I mean horrifically worse.
Author Kevin O'Brien had me on the edge of my seat throughout!

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Books for an arc of this novel in exchange for my honest review.
2.5 Stars (rounded down)

A woman in Portland falls to her death from the rooftop of her apartment building.  It is deemed a suicide.

In Seattle, Sheila O’Rourke receives an anonymous text on her phone with a link to the news article about the woman’s death.  It is eerily familiar.  Her husband Dylan, disagrees.  Thereafter, Sheila finds that she is in danger.  The  brake lines on her car go out and her mechanic informs her that they were cut on purpose and she notices that people are stalking her.

Unfortunately for Sheila, her husband Dylan O’Rourke, can’t keep it in his pants.  He never has and he never will, regardless of the fact that he’s married.  What can he say, except that he likes women?  He loves his wife, really, but he just can’t help himself.  This time however, he gets caught.

Then there’s teenaged Eden and her boyfriend both of whom show up in Seattle.  They have a plan.

Sounds like a fairly tame mystery / suspense right?  Wrong!  Talk about crazy and insanely far-fetched.  “The Betrayed Wife” is an entertaining read to say the least.

This was another buddy read with Kaceey.

Thank you to NetGalley, Kensington Books  and Kevin O’Brien for an arc of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Published on Goodreads and NetGalley on 8.31.19.
Definitely was excited to read this book and wasn’t let down. I think readers of this genre know by now that predictability is inevitable and to take each new book as its own and try not to compare too much to specific other books. This was a really fun read and I’d def recommend.
Betrayed wife is a PERFECT read if you do NOT want to put your book down. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. :) ok, this book is FANTASTIC!!! Sheila (wife) is married tu Dylan (husband) Dylan has uuuuuh had some infidelity issues. Sheila tried to put it behind her.....well until the girl claiming to be Dylan’s daughter. Sheila is getting some pretty creepy texts.....from who and why? Hmmm is someone following Sheila and why? Well you’ll have to read it. You will not be disappointed. AWESOME BOOK!!!!
You can see this storyline from about 3oo miles away but that didn't make it any less great. I still enjoyed reading the story unfold. I can't imagine how I would feel as a wife and have my husband's teen daughter come to my doorstep after all these years and having to find a way to just emotionally to work through it. This was a thriller that although you see it coming from all those lifetime movies, its still a stay up all night to finish.
Thank you to the publisher and to Netgalley for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.
So who won at the end of this really? Certainly not me for having finished it.

I am starting to wonder what genre I should start giving a chance because these mysteries/thrillers are not doing it for me. The themes are similar and the stories are downright depressing. I know it’s fiction and not everything has a “happily ever after”, and shouldn’t, but come on!

The thing about this one? It was just too full of stupid. I don’t mind a villain, the more evil, the better. Bring it on! But I want them to be clever. All the women in this story were dormant, manipulated, over the top and just plain dumb.

Perhaps if it had one redeeming character, one person to root for then it could have been salvaged for me?!? Not sure. Maybe if you don’t read many thrillers or don’t mind a cast of horrific characters (minus Steve) you will get a kick out of this. Please give it a try if it appeals. The writing is good and this could have just not been my cup of tea or wrong story/wrong time...

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and Kensington Books for a copy in exchange for a review.
Kevin O'Brien does such a stellar job of using his character's unique voices to rope in the reader.  The Betrayed Wife has a good premise,  long suffering wife of serial cheater finds herself confronted by an unknown child of his indiscretion.  Mr O'Brien tells the story by alternating between the main characters, and their character portraits are layered and compelling. The secondary characters are not as completely drawn. The story itself moves quickly, the atmosphere of suspense carries through well. There is a nice balance between story and suspense.  I was entertained.
3.5
I received my copy through NetGalley under no obligation.
Kevin O'Brien has to be one of my top 5 favorite authors. I always have to read his books when they come out. However, this book didn't feel like a 'typical' Kevin O'Brien book for some reason. It was suspenseful but not as much as some of his past books. That's the only reason I give this book 4 stars instead of 5. I am not sure what it was missing, but I wanted a little more. With a title like The Betrayed Wife, I would have assumed that the wife was the one causing all the trouble, not the wife being on the butt end of all the trouble. The wife is definitely the one who kept me reading, though. I wanted to know more about her. I needed to know what happened all those years ago. Most of the characters were unlikeable. I could not figure out what was so great about Dylan either. I am glad that I kept being reminded of how old Steve was supposed to be because I would have thought he was much younger by his actions and mannerisms. There were definitely some unexpected twists. I had suspected who the culprit was not long before it was revealed. This book was one that kept me reading more, even if I could barely keep my eyes open. The ending seemed kind of open ended. I would have liked more closure and answers.
Sheila O'Rourke behaves in a really kind manner. Her marriage was a bit rocky, but a recent move to Seattle smoothed things out a bit. However, when a teen girl shows up at her home, claiming to be the daughter of her mother, Sheila is perplexed. Shockingly, the girl's mother has just died from falling off a roof. Knowing she has no one else, Sheila invites the girl, Eden, to live with her husband and their two teen children.

Things begin to go awry rather quickly. Things such as anonymous texts, strange noises next door, and other odd things, make Sheila worry. She is not just worried that this might have something to do with Eden, but she begins to doubt her husband Dylan. Is there something that he is hiding from her?

This psychological thriller by Kevin O'Brien has no shortage of unlikable characters, most notably, Eden and Dylan. As Dylan's true nature is revealed, it is any wonder that Sheila stayed with him over the years. Then there is the weird and obnoxious neighbor that moves in next door. Also, there is Eden's boyfriend. Lastly, there is an unnamed narrator for part of the story. Therefore, there are lots of twists and turns throughout the many pages. I was rather impressed with Sheila's focus. Had it been me, I would have shriveled up and shut out the world.

The Betrayed Wife is the first book I have read by this author. I loved the style, the suspense and the shocking conclusion. This book did WOW me and I look forward to reading more from him in the future.

Many thanks to Pinnacle Books and to NetGalley for this ARC for review. This is my honest opinion.
Rats! This book was archived before I downloaded to my kindle. I’ll hunt for a physical copy when it comes my way.