Cover Image: Stargazing

Stargazing

I loved this graphic novel! How wonderful to have this representation in a book! Nerdy girls, under achieving girls, weird girls, loving friendships, hidden illnesses, artistic girls…
A heart warming story about friendship! So glad I got an arc of this book, I have actually purchased it since and it is definitely a comfort read.
Thank you to netgalley and the publishers for providing me with an arc for an honest review.
I absolutely adored this graphic novel! I had read Jen Wang's previous graphic novel, The Prince and the Dressmaker, and it was one of my favorite reads of the year. I think it goes without saying that they have done it again with this fabulous middle grade novel about friendship, family, and culture.
I loved this book and nominated it for the Best Books for Kids list of 2019. I loved the unique take on the 'unlikely friends' story and Jen Wang continues to impress with this heartfelt graphic novel for middle grades.
Jen Wang's evocative style takes a stunning turn into the realm of middle grade realistic fiction. This graphic novel show that there are a lot of ways to be Asian-American, and the way that people seem isn't always the way they are. A lot of excellent lessons about growing up, friendship, culture, and dealing with scary things are packed into a story so smooth, the reader absorbs the lessons without pause. Recommend for all libraries serving middle schoolers.
I loved this graphic novel. It is a great diverse book for my middle-grade population. It was a great storyline that many students can connect and relate to. The graphics were beautiful. I feel like this book will be an easy sell for students and appeal.
Moon is different than other kids in the neighborhood. She is a vegetarian, Buddhist, into KPop, and has problems controlling her temper. This fictional story is based off of the experience the author had when they had a brain tumor.

Jen Wang wrote one of my favorite graphic novels, The Prince and the Dressmaker. This story is also adorable. The story is really sweet and the artwork is excellent. I can't wait to get a copy for my classroom.

Creative team:
Story and art by Jen Wang
Colors by Lark Pien
Published by First Second
Moon has recently moved in next door to Christine and the two become fast friends. Moon is a child who has visions of celestial creatures far away, and longs to be with them among the stars. Christine didn't realize though how different Moon's life was and this leads to Jealousy and puts a strain on their friendship.
If you enjoy graphic novels, then this is a must-read! This novel is about two young Chinese-American girls who live near each other and find a special friendship. The girls encounter some tough news and see if their friendship can help them through the tough times together. This novel may tear out your heart and then put it back together again. I particularly enjoyed the uniqueness of the girls characters and how pure their friendship is. Students and adults alike will be reaching for this book and recommending to their friends! Shout out to NetGalley for the ARC!
Christine is initially apprehensive when Moon Lin moves into her Chinese American neighborhood. Moon is a Buddhist vegetarian who struggles in academics and does not speak Chinese. Because she is not like the other Chinese American children, she is viewed as being not Chinese enough. However, Christine takes their differences in stride and becomes best friends with Moon. Moon tells Christine her biggest secret: she has visions of celestial beings who tell her that she belongs with them because she too is a celestial being. When a tragedy strikes that makes Moon rethink the celestial beings, Christine struggles to be the friend Moon needs.

In the afterword, Wang explains that the story is based on real events. She was a lot like Moon as a child and felt lonely in her otherness. I also enjoyed the art style. It was just as beautiful and expressive as Wang's last graphic novel The Prince and the Dressmaker. Overall, I am giving this book 4 stars. I received an advanced reader copy from the publisher via Netgalley.
Very cute story. A little on the young side, I'd say this would be good for ages 10-13, but a solid story with cute art.
This is a fantastic book. I love the representation and the fact that this story was based off of something similar that happened to the author. This book has a lot of universal themes that everyone can relate to: making friends, fitting in, and being embarrassed.
If you have read The Prince and the Dressmaker by the same author then you know what you're in for. I really loved this book and I highly recommend it, especially if you a fan of this author already.
Thanks NetGalley for this adorable ARC, in exchange for an honest review.  Jen Wang is simply fantastic, I have enjoyed her work before (The prince and the dressmaker, In Real Life, etc) and every time I grow in admiration of her and work.  I really enjoyed this story, the artwork makes tough subjects easier to digest (i.e. behavior issues linked to medical issues, the pressure for perfection, forced living situations, and the changes kids go through in dealing with them).  Of course the development between characters is phenomenal, but that's no surprise, because Wang is phenomenal.  Overall, I'm really excited to share this with our Juvenile readers, I wish we are to get a copy for our library, but there are already several copies in our region.  I moved to slow on this one.
This was so good!  Telling the story of Christine and Moon, two Asian-Americans growing up in a predominantly Asian neighborhood, but the two girls couldn't be more different.  Full of the innocence and strife of childhood friendships, I think anyone can relate to the feelings of inadequacy and trying to fit in.  And then in the end, it'll hit you right in the feels!
Stargazing was a super cute story about Christine and Moon, and their friendship. I really enjoyed this graphic novel; the story was very well told, had some great morals and lessons to be learnt, and the illustrations were, as always with Jen Wang, adorable.
Stargazing is a sweet and insightful graphic novel about friendship and identity. Christine is a traditional Chinese American girl. She lives in a suburb with her conservative parents and her focus is solely on her music and grade school work. Christine sees a different way of life when her parents offer the extra unit of of Christine's family house to a struggling Chinese American single mother and her daughter, Moon, from church. Moon is the complete opposite of Christine. Moon is loud, artistic, a vegetarian, a Buddhist, and even rumored to beat kids up. Moon's mother does not have a strict curfew nor requires Moon to attend Chinese school. Moon is certainly “not Asian” according to Christine’s standards. Despite their differences, however, the two become fast friends, stretching each other’s interests with K-pop and art. Moon later shares a deep secret with Christine: She receives visions from celestial beings that tell her she belongs with them. The girls' friendship is tested by jealousy, resentment of following social expectations, and devastating medical news for Moon.

The illustrations are wonderful and show cases body diversity, nostalgia, and diversity without being overt about it. There is a balance of quiet moments and active moments that sharpen emotional impact and highlights the inner turmoil Christine feels as her friendship with Moon shifts. The dialogue rings true and the characters feel authentic.
The book had the best gut punch ending I have read in a really long time. I cherish this book and have been recommending readers to find this.
I really enjoyed this book about friendship, life in a different culture and forgiveness between friends. I really like the artwork and the story-line. It was really sweet and it was partly based on true events. It's a must read. It's quite lovely.
I want to preface this with I was super excited to read this graphic novel and I love Jen Wang. :) A while back I saw a few of my bookish friends with the ARC of this book and I just knew I needed to read it, I was fortunate enough to get an ARC of this book as well from the publisher in exchange for an honest review and even if I hadn't I still would have read this book because I love Jen Wang. I think her stories are cute and funny and the art in her graphic novels is amazing and something to be treasured. So recently after finishing two books back to back, I was all like it's time to read some graphic novels (what I was really wanting was to read more Saga but alas that is still not back yet) and then I remembered that I had this one on my nightstand. I immediately went over and picked it up! I read this book in one sitting and then read it again the next day just cause it was so darn cute.

SPOILERS AHEAD

In this book, we follow two girls who are polar opposites. One girl Moon lives with her single mother and is into Kpop, dancing, and is not afraid to put herself out there. While Christine lives with her mom, dad, and little sibling is much more reserved and spends lots of time studying hard to be her best! One day when Moon moves in behind Christine's house everything changes. The girls become fast friends and Christine starts to explore life a little more, she is painting her nails for the first time, dancing, and listening to Kpop! However, when Christine gets a bad grade on a test she decides its time to buckle back down. She also becomes a little jealous of her friend and does something she deeply wishes she could take back.

There is still a bit more to the story but I do not want to spoil for me what was a huge twist I did not see coming at all. I loved the art and the story in this graphic novel. I thought the story of Christine and Moon was so heartfelt, cute, and relatable. I definitely recommend picking this graphic novel up! I am giving it five stars on Goodreads and plan to read it again very soon.

**I was given an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I went in as a fan of Jen Wang's other work but not knowing what to expect from this comic, and ended up liking it even more than I thought I would. This is a really heartfelt story with memorable characters that has a lot to say without being heavy-handed about it. I think it's an excellent all-ages book and further proves Jen Wang's talent as both a writer and an artist. I'll be looking forward seeing what she does next.