Cover Image: Goodbye Paris

Goodbye Paris

This installment of the Pono Hawkins series was better than Saving Paradise, but still not up there with Mike Bonds' best. There was a little too much travelogue and too little plot and action. I got this one at a bargain price and did not feel cheated. I probably would have if I had paid full price.
An entertaining thriller about a intrigue in Paris.  Pono Hawkins, an ex-Special Forces operative is called in to assist the French intelligence service in finding two kidnapped Americans - Hawkins' close friends. In the course of his hair raising investigation, Hawkins uncovers dirty diplomats, a terrorist plot to destroy parts of the city and falls in love.
Although this was a good read it did not, for me, flow as well as I would have liked and so seemed to plod a little in moving forward and I was left with a feeling that it should have been about 10% shorter - but not enough for me to not want to read it, just that I was not compelled to read just this book at the same time so another tended to get in the way of me completing it without interruption.

As above a good read but could have been a little better!
Goodbye Paris by Mike Bond
Book Review by Dawn Thomas

343 Pages
Publisher: Big City Press
Release Date: June 11, 2019

Mystery & Thriller, Terrorism, Violence, Strong Language, Sexual Situations

Pono is in Tahiti with three women but it’s not what you think. The women can barely stand each other and tensions are high. When Mack, an old associate from his military days, contacts him from France and begs Pono to come to Paris to help apprehend Mustafa al-Boudiene he jumps on a plane. It’s rumored he has a nuclear bomb and wants to blow up Paris. When Pono arrives, Mack is missing and soon his wife Gisele cannot be found. Pono teams up with US and French intelligence officers to work the case but is there someone on the inside trying to stop his investigation.

This is another installment in the Pono Hawkins book series. It I written in the third person point of view and in the present tense with flashbacks of the past. I enjoy this author’s writing style. The story flows well and is full of action. I read the book in one sitting. If you like action adventure or spy thrillers, you will probably enjoy this book.
This a 3.5 rounded up to a 4. This is the first Mike Bond novel I have read, and the first in this series that I have read. On principle this has all the makings of a bombshell storyline, murder, mayhem, and international terror plots. The hero Pono Hawkins is back in the game after he is invited to Paris by one of his old buddies who says that their old nemesis Mustafa has surfaced in Paris, and they believe he is up to his old tricks. Since Pono is one of the few people alive who can identify Mustafa, French Intelligence wants his help in identifying and rounding up Mustafa before he causes any more trouble. However, before Pono can really dig into the case, his good friend and his wife mysteriously disappear. There are a lot of moving parts to this story and it was somewhat reminiscent of Olen Steinhauer novels, but the story is not as strong and put together. The last third of the novel is the strongest part of this story. The tone is definitely anti Islamic, and while the outlook is a little disturbing, I can see where it fits in to make the storyline work. I am intrigued enough with the series to look into the other books in the series. Thank you to Netgalley for the early copy.  Review posted to Goodreads, LibraryThing, and Amazon.
I received an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley. .Thrillers are one of my favorite genres and this book delivered. It kept me guessing and on the edge of my seat. This was quite an intense thriller and it definitely kept me reading! It is full of twists and shocks  I hated to have to put it down.
Pono Hawkins is called to come to Paris by his friend Mack. Pono gets there to find Mack has been captured by the terrorist who once held both of them when in Special Forces. Pono must work with the French Intelligence to stop a nuke bomb they believe will be used on the Eiffel Tower, Pono wants to save Mack and now his wife has been taken. That is number one with getting Mustafa but the relationship of the French with the Muslims is complicated. Time is running out.
I made the mistake of reading this Mike Bond title AFTER reading The Last Savannah and I just doesn't compare.  I felt as though I was reading a different author.  I don't know the timeline of his releases, if this was an early release, I understand.  So many "Pono's" already out there.  Please, Mike, focus on historical fiction and geographic depth.
Great novel, highly recommend for those who enjoy the genre. Will be recommending for immediate purchase.
This was probably the best one in the series about #PonoHawkins By #MikeBond. Good story and we get to know more about Ponos background. This was a great thriller set in Paris with lots of twists. I actually really enjoyed it. Many thanks to #BigCityPress and #Netgalley
The basic story is good, but there is an undertone that seems to be a bit islamophobic. It is a story about terrorism, so I can see that there is always a target, but it seemed a little different in this read. It is a fine line, but this one crossed a little too much for my taste.
I had to DNF this.  Found I was only reading the first lines of each paragraph and not missing the story.  Too many words.  The Hawaii history was good but a little  overkill and also with the environmental sensitivities.  All of this took away from the murder mystery.  The store ifself wasn’t too bad, he just needed to stick to the story.  It was almost like he thought he had to explain everything to his reader because we weren’t smart enough to read his books.
This was an ok read but the plot took three quarters of the book to unfold and the conclusion seemed rushed. I did not particularly like the way that this book was written so cannot really recommend.
#Goodbye Paris by Mike Bond
It was a fun book, pretty much in line with male fantasy in the mold of James Bond stories by Ian Fleming. Which leads me to wonder if the author’s name..but .never mind.
     I like Bond’s writing, he’s witty, tells a good story, knows how to make a character live in your affections, and the pacing is sharp. So it’s a great ride. I recommend it to anyone for the beach or long train rides. It deserved more than 3 stars, but less than 4, so please note this is a 3.5 star rating despite the optics.
     My review is for a book provided free courtesy of #NetGalley.
This book was fast paced. Hard to put down. It flowed well and it was very well written. It caught hold of me and had me hooked from the start . I was literally on the edge of my seat reading this book.
This thriller focuses on the destruction of Paris by a terrorist cell.  Pono is the only one left alive that can identify Mustafa al-Boudienne.  Join Pono on a thrilling, action filled journey to save the city.
A thriller that is currently very topical as it focuses on the threat of terrorism in France.
The main character has a deeply personal reason for finding the terrorists, as well as the wider threat it is necessary to prevent, so this is more interesting than many typical `stop the terrorist` novels.
For many the writing in the first person narrative makes the novel more personal and easier to relate to but I felt this would have been better told in the third person - somehow, although it included many feelings and observations, it didn't quite involve me 100%.
Also, whilst it could be argued that Bond is very successful in creating a fear about terrorism, I was left feeling quite depressed, rather than relieved, despite the positive result.

Thank you to NetGalley and Big City Press for this copy in exchange for an honest review.
Not a huge fan of this title. I enjoyed the first third of the book, then it seemed too political and roaming, in search of a real plot.
Great book! Fast-moving thriller from beginning to end.  In this action filled novel, Mike Bond depicts the corruption of politicians willing to sell their country to the highest bidder.  But also the dangerous battle against Muslim terrorists by true French patriots. Pono Hawkins is called on be the tip of the spear in this battle, finding true love in the process, and risking his life against almost impossible odds. If you like real terrorism thrillers, don't miss "Goodbye Paris."
Good read, enjoyed reading this one and will look for others by this author.  I enjoy reading and am always looking for new authors to enjoy