What Does Your Soul Love?

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Oct 2019

“Paying attention to our soul helps us answer and discuss such questions as “In what ways is God meeting me in my “What can I do to better see God, hear God, and walk with God?” real everyday life?” and “What can I do to better see God, hear God, and walk with God?”” - From What Does Your Soul Love? By Gem and Alan Fadling

From the opening page, What Does Your Soul Love by Gem and Alan Fadling is more of a practice than a book, more meditation than reading. This is one you will want to muse over, journal and spend time soaking in, I loved it! Making time in the day to chew over life questions is so important and drawing closer to God is so restorative. Through eight key questions, Gem and Alan guide the reader on a journey to clarify one’s role in God’s kingdom, one’s value and how one can glorify God further.

“The eight questions posed in this book can help us cultivate this kind of deeper awareness and soul focus. They help keep us on the journey of transformation. They keep us in the presence of the transforming One.” - From What Does Your Soul Love? By Gem and Alan Fadling

Without complex instructions, Gem and Allan outline exercises and habits which can take day-to-day activities to new depths. They explain this two-stream living as follows “On one level we may be thinking, discussing, seeing, calculating, meeting all the demands of external affairs. But deep within, behind the scenes, at a profounder level, we may also be in prayer and adoration, song and worship and a gentle receptiveness to divine breathings…”. Awakening the reader to God’s presence, God’s guidance and identifying ways to get in better alignment with God’s will, they show the reader how to seek and find deeper joy in life.

They don’t ignore the difficulties that change brings and they share stories of their own experiences to bring their guidance to life and inspire the reader by showing it is possible to transform.

“We’ve noticed, however, that sometimes we are tempted to avoid necessary change because the pain of what’s unwell seems easier to endure that the unknown pain we imagine in the path of change. We must learn to cultivate awareness around our resistance to change as a surface reaction to a deeper and better invitation.” - From What Does Your Soul Love? By Gem and Alan Fadling

I thoroughly enjoyed it, I was challenged, inspired and drawn closer to God. It’s a book I will return to several times to get more out of it as I implement it piece by piece. I highly recommend it, it’s a five out of five on the en-JOY-ment scale.
This book gives you eight “soul” questions to ponder.

Desire: What do you really want?
    Resistance: What is getting in your way?
    Vulnerability: Where are you hiding?
    Truth: What is most real to you?
    Pain: How are your suffering?
    Fear: What are you afraid of?
    Control: What are you clinging to?
    Joy: What does your soul love?

With insight and practical application exercises, Alan and Gem lead you through these questions in this spiritual primer for your inner life.

The topics are diverse and entire libraries have been written on the subjects of each section, but here is a book that gives insightful consideration and a solid jumping off point for each topic. Applicable for someone who is just putting their toes into the river of spiritual formation as well as for those who are at home swimming in deep waters, What Does Your Soul Love is a valuable companion on the journey of transformation.

I received a free digital galley of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
What Does Your Soul Love? is a book that can be used as part of your own spiritual discipline work.  There is also a group guide for those who might want to use it with a small group. There are eight questions (one question per chapter)  that the authors use to guide your reflection.  The first is “what do you really want?” And the last is “Joy: What does your soul love?”.  I particularly enjoyed reflecting on this to guide my life right now.  It helped me remember how much I love singing and I am doing a lot of that right now.
 This book has the right amount of reflection and examples from the authors as well as Biblical examples and questions for reflection.  This would be an excellent book for those who are experienced with the spiritual disciplines or those seeking to learn more.
I received a complementary copy from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is an excellent study and I will be using with my ladies. They have done a good job of leading you into spiritual direction with very important questions.
I received this book free from the publisher for the purpose of an honest review.
If you are looking for a little clarity on your own life from a spiritual (Christian) standpoint, this book is a great choice. It is very accessible with plain language and very brief excerpts from the Bible, as well as plenty of conversational advice and anecdotes from the authors.

Because there are two authors, I was pleasantly surprised with how cohesive this text is. Sometimes books with multiple authors can get a little clunky with two writers giving personal anecdotes. This book handled that aspect well.

I liked that the authors organized their thoughts around 8 questions you can ask yourself, journal about, or pray about. There are also short, popping questions in callout boxes throughout the book -- some of these are like little mini truth-bombs (like "Do you want relief or do you want healing?"). The writing doesn't come across as directives; rather it feels like an open conversation where you can imagine the authors saying to you, "Tell me more about that (situation/feeling/etc.)."
This is a book about discovering who you are by learning about how God is working inside you. I picked up “What Does Your Soul Love? Eight Questions That Reveal God's Work In You” because I thought it might be interesting. I wasn't expecting it to make me think so deeply or encourage spiritual transformation and personal growth at such a deep level.

The authors, Alan and Gem Fadling, ask readers a series of eight questions designed to cultivate “deeper awareness and soul focus.” What do you really want? What is getting in your way? Where are you hiding? What is most real to you? How are you suffering? What are you afraid of? What are you clinging to? What does your soul love?

With each chapter, they discuss a core aspect of who we are deep down inside. Desire, resistance, vulnerability, truth, pain, fear, control, joy – how we experience and relate to these things has a huge impact on who we are as people. As the chapters unfold, the Fadlings discuss each topic in depth and invite us to think about change in these areas as something that happens inwardly as a result of God's work in us rather than as outward changes we need to try and make ourselves.

I found the exercise and reflection questions at the end of each chapter hit-and-miss for me personally. Some were extremely helpful while others fell-flat. I didn't resonate with many (though not all) of the authors' personal examples either and found myself skimming over them a few times. However, that was more of a personal preference than an issue with the book. Overall, I found the questions, content, and perspective on growth offered in “What Does Your Soul Love?” challenging in all the best ways. I highly recommend it for those interested in spiritual growth and development.

My thanks to InterVarsity Press, the authors, and NetGalley for an ARC of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Usually when I read a book for review, I look at it theoretically. I dont necessarily take the time to delve deeply into my psyche each time a book wants to advise me how to live a more fulfilling or successful life, but I can make a judgement about how effective or useful certain questions would be in a distance kind of way. What Does Your Soul Love, however, is written in such an approachable and appealing, and heartfelt way, that I really had no choice to turn a 'read for review' into some deep deep soul work. Which is quite something when it springs up on you unexpectedly, I must say...
This book looks at eight areas, such as 'What is most real to you', and 'How are you suffering', and frames the question within a context of real life scenarios, passages from the Bible, specific questions and transformational action points.
I cant stress how far above other self-helpish/ spiritual advice/ living your best life type books What Does Your Soul Love really is. It has such a heart, and is written both conversationally and intuitively, but its words are also deeply meaningful and thought provoking (so many highlights, Im really going to have to buy a hard copy so I can get at it with a real life highlighter I think!). Ive never managed to find a spiritual adviser of my own, and for the first time Ive found a book that I think can come close to doing that job for me.
Maybe you’ve been wanting to embark on the journey of spiritual transformation.  You want to experience real change and you’ve tried changing your outward behaviors, but with no lasting result.  In their book What Does Your Soul Love: Eight Questions That Reveal God’s Work in You, authors Gem and Alan Fadling say that transformation is actually a work of the heart that Jesus must do in you, which then affects your outward behavior.  It’s an issue of cooperating with the Holy Spirit, they say.

If you’re still left wondering how that happens, pick up their book, What Does Your Soul Love?  You’ll find a guided journey that leads you to address your inner soul in a dynamic way and engage with God more deeply.  Besides addressing a particular transformational question, each chapter includes:
- Process words to help redefine some words to increase openness to what God wants to do in you;
- Exercises to help you take action; and
- Reflection questions for processing and personal journaling.

Gleaned from their own spiritual transformational journeys, the Fadlings offer these eight questions, which are unpacked in the book:
What do you really want? (Desire)
What is getting in your way? (Resistance)
Where are you hiding? (Vulnerability)
What is most real to you? (Truth)
How are you suffering? (Pain)
What are you afraid of? (Fear)
What are you clinging to? (Control)
What does your soul love? (Joy)

The book doesn’t offer easy answers, and the true journey will require hard work on your part as you become more aware of your soul and seek God on a deeper level.  You’ll struggle through some things as you seek to answer the questions above.  But all throughout, you’ll be reassured of this truth:  “we are already loved as we currently are.”  Pick up a copy of What Does Your Soul Love and begin the journey to true transformation.  Patiently work your way through the book and God’s Word alongside, and you’ll find yourself growing in ways you never imagine.

Note:  I received a copy of the book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for this honest review. The opinions expressed are my own.