Embroidered Kitchen Garden

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Nov 2019

I got a copy of the ebook version of this from Netgalley, and quite honestly, even the ebook version is deliciouhe first half of the book has both images and text about certain food stuffs.

The second half has descriptions of how to stitch the images from the first half.  To be fair, this is the point where I would want the physical book in front of me. Not only to be able to switch easily between the instructions and the image, but the instructions do rely on you having a  certain level of stitching knowledge (this is not for the beginner!).

I will be on the lookout for the physical version of this book, to add to my collection!
This book is such a strange but lovely amalgamation of embroidery and gardening (for the kitchen, no less). I'm not quite sure of its practical application. It's for embroiderers, surely, but is it also for amateur gardeners? One thing I know is that the embroidered illustrations are quite beautiful and tru to their botanical counterparts.

Thanks to NetGalley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
This is a lovely collection of embroidered garden edibles.  I see so many different uses for these little stitched delights.  I thought the book was well organized and the instructions were easy to follow.

My thanks to Zakka Workshop and Netgalley for this ARC.
Embroidery and cross-stitching is something i love to do as a hobby and when the Embroidered Kitchen Garden came up on NetGalley i jumped at the chance to review this beautiful book.
There are 46 designs, which include herbs, vegetables and garden visitors...birds and insects,etc. Each design has it's own colour picture showing the finished result, with good clear instructions as to how to stitch the design and what threads to use.There is a good comprehensive index at the beginning of the book, to refer to each segment and design.
I am stitching a series of door finger plates and this book has a wealth of designs that are small enough to create and can be mixed and matched according to what project you want to do.. My personal favourites are the dill with the little bee design and the edible flowers. The kitchen garden visitors with the little mole and ladybirds are very adorable.
This book is such a treat and so valuable for picking out designs for both large and smaller projects and makes an inspiring book for the craft bookshelf.
Thanks to Embroidered Kitchen Garden by Kazuko Aoki. #NetGalley for giving me the chance to review
This is a very beautiful and realistic guide to surface embroidery focusing on colorful vegetables and herbs. It also has a few fun insects and garden creatures. The picture are amazing and roughly the first half of the book is dedicated to pictures of the designs. The instructions are very clear I believe even for a beginner. However, I would rate this book for the more advanced embroiderer as the designs are not simple but they are well diagramed so with enough patients if you are new to the art you could possibly achieve similar results. I found this book to be very beautiful and inspiring and I plan to buy several copies as gifts for friends. I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review.
Every artist picked their medium because that was the best way to express what they saw or felt. Kazuko Aoki too shares the moment she decided to do the embroidered  kitchen garden. There's a picture of beautiful, fresh vegetables in a basket. Its the mix of those colors that she wanted to get right, which she felt at that moment, that it was better done with thread.

Couching Stitch for curves. Split stitch. Satin stitch.

There's a good detail and template for the kind of stitches needed and the scale and trace for some of the vegetables to embroider.

In the process, you will learn about some new vegetables. An upgrade to your garden might be in the offing.

A time to relax and enjoy the beauty of nature's delights.
An interesting embroidery book which takes its theme from a kitchen garden.  There are a lot of vegetables, plus a little fruit and some 'garden visitors', birds etc.

Rather than a how to, the book reminds me of a brochure accompanying an artist's exhibition.  The book includes an explanation of the author's inspiration, details about the vegetables themselves, full name etc.  In the first half of the book there are photos of the finished embroidered vegetables etc.  The second half of the book has an outline of the threads and stitches used for each one, rather than step by step instructions on how to embroider each one for yourself.

An interesting book, as far as it goes.
Beautiful and delicate embroidery, with color-codes recommendations for DMC embroidery floss. Stitch explanations but no diagrams.

There is everything from flowers, plants, and herbs, to gardening tools and wildlife. Templates would be more useful if presented next to the picture of the actual embroidery.

A guide for the novice embroiderer but it would no doubt be interesting for a more seasoned crafter.
Beautifully embroidered kitchen garden designs by Kazuko Atkins. From a market tote to samplers. Tomatoes, figs, Brussels sprouts. Advice and tips, a beautiful book.
This book is beautifully designed. I just love that the book has a theme and story behind each design. The instructions have been written well and are easy to follow.
This collection of embroidery designs is very realistic, rather than cutesy. The finished products are very beautiful, and they have been photographed well. The instructions are pretty minimal, and there aren't a lot of ideas for how to use the designs (e.g. on tablecloths or framed art), so it's perhaps not the best beginner's book. It is a lovely book to page through, and even get some gardening ideas--the back features an index of the plant varieties with their official names, in case you want to track them down!

Thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for a digital ARC.
What a great book and filled with great project to make from this authors garden. The are featured in glossy pictures with details patterns to get you started. Perfect to decorate your kitchen or make and give as a gift to garden friend. I can see these designs on bags and garden journals or even small size for book marks. Enjoy your garden in a new way… No dirt involved. Lisa
Embroidered Kitchen Gardens is filled with adorable embroidery patterns. It's nice to see a book that isn't just florals. Kazuko Aoki explains her techniques very well, so the seasoned embroiderer will have no issue recreating her beautiful work. There are full color illustrations in the beginning of the book followed by the patterns and instructions.
The embroidery in the book is lovely and the idea of embroidering your kitchen garden is charming. Unfortunately when it came to instructions something was wrong with the galley proofs and there were a bunch of numbers all over the pages which didn’t make sense. Suggestions for projects (kitchen towels, pot holders, napkins, trivets, and pictures) would be helpful.
Embroidered Kitchen Garden by Kazuko Aoki is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early September.

Holy crap, this is so pretty. There are pages and pages of finished projects of veg, greens, tools, and garden visitors to draw inspiration from, then tutorials on how budding embroiderers can choose the color of embroidery floss and achieve some of the whirls & embellishments to make the project seem raised, refined, and ready to be plucked.
I enjoyed this book more as an art piece than a how-to guide. Aoki's embroidery is simply beautiful and it appealed to my gardening side. Additionally, the second of half of the book includes the templates and thread colors she uses, so more experienced embroiderers can follow along. That said, I have no experience with needlework, so I'll admit the two pages of tips and four pages of stitch types aren't enough for me to get started just yet.
Such a lovely book.  While I admire embroidery, I seldom practice it.  Now I want to pick up a hoop and create some of these beauties!

This truly is a garden book and strikes me as very vintage.  It is not the pristine florals, but the reality of a true garden in it's full glory.
Embroidered Kitchen Garden is a lovely way to give second life to your old kitchen textiles or to create completely new look of your kitchen towels and table cloths. I love simple designs showed in this book. It's a must have to all garden lovers with crafty souls.
I am new to the work of Kazuko Aoki, but this title appears to be similar to other books she has done. Aoki shares her inspiration and process as an artist through descriptive prose, and I enjoyed admiring her realistic interpretations of the most everyday objects: edibles from a kitchen garden.

This book was not what I expected, though. I enjoy embroidery, often free form, but also from whimsical patterns. Often, I work on plain flour sack towels, which I can then gift or use at home, and I thought perhaps I would find a new pattern or two that I could use. As I only had a copy of the ARC, the patterns were not in a usable form, but I don't think this is a book I would purchase as the designs seem almost personal to me. "Embroidered Kitchen Garden" does serve as inspiration for me to continue to find inspiration for my own work, and I will look elsewhere for patterns to work from.
Can not wait for the published version so I can get my hands on the patterns! In the meantime I am thankful to Netgalley for providing the arc for this cute book. Reading little 'behind the scenes' of the embroidery imagery was fun.