Herbert Loves Sherbet

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 Aug 2019

Thank you #netgallery for the eARC.

This is a very cute story with fun and colorful illustration.  Young children will love it. Perfect story for a hot summer day while enjoying b some ice cream.
I'm always looking for bright, colorful books with fun rhymes.  My kids are 5 and 2, and this was a delightful read.  Nice little lesson, as well..
Bright illistrations
Cute story!

Sometimes too much of one thing is a bad thing.
Gran helped break Herbert of his constant craving for sherbet.
Really enjoyed this story.
This colorfully illustrated story will appeal to young children and their adults.  In it, Herbert only wants to eat his favorite food; will he ever tire of it?  See what happens when Herbert's parents go away and his grandmother accedes to his wishes.  This is a cute read on a typical toddler-preschool food issue.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for this read in exchange for an honest review.  I'm off to my freeezer now!
This book was really cute. Herbert tries to get his mom to feed him Sherbet for every meal and mom will only let him have one scoop per day. Grandma teaches Herbert a lesson by feeding him nothing but Sherbert until he is begging for real food! I really liked the retro colors and the illustration style, as well.

Review will be posted on thebookhorde.com on a date tbd.
You can never pull one over on dear old gran as this book so cleverly teaches you. What a wonderful story and very colourful illustrations.
I love love love rhyming books and this is perfect. Bright and colourful with a fantastic story.
Adore Herbert as a character.
My children will love this book.
A nice bright, cheerful rhyming book.
A nice lesson in the story too.
A little confusing for me, being English, sherbet is a powdered sweet eaten with a lolly, and sorbet is the frozen desert

'Herbert Loves Sherbet' is a sweet picture book about the craze Herbert Clark has on Sherbet, a frozen dessert made with fruit juice. Be it breakfast, lunch, or dinner, Sherbet is all he could ever think of. Not a single day goes by without nagging his parents to give him one. But when they leave Herbert under the care of his grandmother, he devises a plan to trick her into feeding him Sherbet in place of his usual meals. Little did he know that his devilish idea would backfire on him eventually.

The Illustrations were very bright and colorful making it almost impossible to resist looking at them with awe. It actually reminded me of the time wherein I used to be like Herbert, pleading with my mother to give me my favorite sweets instead of the actual meal. Reading this book was like a pleasant trip down the memory lane.
I received a free ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book was so fun! What child hasn't dreamed of being able to eat his favorite food day and night, and Herbert gets the chance! But is it as fun as he hoped. The text is whimsical and fun and flows well. The pictures are so bright and fun. Absolutely loved it!
Thank you Net Gallet and Joanie Leopold for this lovely children's book! I loved everything about it: its bright colors, superb illustrations, the text which rhymes, and is like a poem, the way the adults deal with their little sherbet-eater!
A very bright, fun book which I warmly recommend!
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for this review copy.

OMG I love this book. It's so cute! The illustrations and story are fantastic. It teaches a lesson without being preachy. This is such a fun book! I highly recommend this one!
Nice children's picture book about the importance of not eating your favorite food all the time and not to be so picky. Very good lesson. Ran by well with my six year old
This is an adorable story, told in verse, about Herbert and his desire to only eat Sherbet.  His gran comes to town and he thinks he has her hood winked when he asks for sherbet at every meal.  She doesn't let on, but she is on to him. Children will love this lesson on eating healthy, and having balance.  It can be applied to more than just food. The pictures are colorful and oh so cute.
Herbert has one thing on his mind... more sherbet please!  He is obsessed with the brightly coloured tasty stuff and wants to eat it 24/7 and nothing else.  Oh my!  That isn't good for him.

He is constantly in a battle with his parents to give him more, more, more while they constantly find ways to restrict his intake.

"One day while Mom was dishing
His scoop of lemon sherbet
She said, "Dad and I just won a trip,
We leave tomorrow, Herbert."

"Grandma Bess is coming here,
And she will be delighted
to play your games and serve you treats.'
Wow! Herbert was excited."

I just wonder what he was thinking with that twinkle in his eye. Enter Grandma Bess into the narrative.  Oh Herbert is thrilled because he thinks that he has the power to lure Grandma into eating sherbet whenever he wants... or so he thinks.  Grandma has been around the block a few times with kid's challenging her and wisely she gives into his demands. What?  Give Herbert unending bowels  and cones of nothing but pink sherbet:  blue sherbet,  yellow sherbet, green sherbet etc.  Grandma has a game plan, but will it work?  Can it wean her favourite grandson off of his addiction and actually turn him on to nutritious, healthy food that he certainly needs?

This book is written in rhyme with vibrant, neon illustrations that make you wish you were eating sherbet.  Herbert learns two very valuable lessons ... be careful what you wish for, and that his beloved Grandma isn't a sucker for his demands.  This is a delightful book to share and discuss with little ones as well as for beginning readers.  Herbert learns a very valuable life lesson thanks to his wise Grandma.  Gotta love Grandmas.  They rock!
Cute, fun and colorful! Herbert loves his sherbet but is it possible to have too much of a good thing?
Written in rhyme, this book is fun for kids of all ages.
Rhyming lesson style book. I like books for our children that have a good lesson within, and rhyming lyrical prose is always fun!
Pros: This book is delightful and colorfully cute. The message is there and I like the way it was done overall.

Cons: The colors are beautiful, but it made the white font hard to see on some of the pages.
Thank you netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Loved this quirky, smart storybook. perfect for kids that love candy and don't like vegetables. Through funny rhymes and a relatable little boy, I enjoyed reading this short story.
Is it "sherbet" or "sherbert"? I'm firmly in the former camp, so when I saw this book, I was somewhat glad to see that it had the more common (and, in my opinion, correct) spelling. However, in this case, I almost wish that the author had gone with "sherbert"... not least because she tries to rhyme it with the main character's name!

The plot of this is cute, but very similar to one of my childhood favourites, Mrs. Pig's Bulk Buy. Herbert loves sherbet, and he wants to eat it all the time. He thinks he's going to get his chance when his grandmother babysits him. Sure enough, grandma gives in and lets Herbert eat as much sherbet as he wants. But... then she starts feeding him nothing but sherbet. The kid eventually gets tired of it and learns a valuable lesson about moderation and the nature of treats.

The pictures are bright and colourful, but nothing really special. The rhymes are okay, too, although the meter made me stumble a few times. I think what's still tripping me up is the supposed rhyming of Herbert and sherbet. Please, please tell me that the author isn't assuming everyone pronounces it "sherbert"! (I kind of wish the kid had been named something else. But what rhymes with "sherbet"? Flurbet? Snurbet? Gurbet? Looks like "orange" has company in the "nothing rhymes with me" department.)