Kill Code

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Oct 2019

This book was way too slow with absolutely nothing going on. I attempted to pick it up and read at least three times and by the third time I decided enough was enough and marked it DNF.
This is the first time I’ve ever read a book that uses a newspaper delivery to give you the crash course on what exactly has happened to society after the world’s economy goes into the dumpster and global warmer left unchecked. It’s interesting, yet logical that newspapers somehow survived and people fight for the chance to deliver them in exchange for enough money to buy some food.
Our protagonist is Duran Hogan, a former police officer who quit the force after his partner is shot and paralyzed due to his own crippling guilt. He’s depicted quite well and has a believable back story with a military background out of school and then as a police officer, which makes his abilities more credible. Now he’s fallen on hard times, like the rest of the United States, minus the elite, and would like another chance to prove himself. He had applied to the NSC (National Security Council) three separate times. Finally, they accept his application.
Their tests to weed out the weak and unstable are a bit brutal in some spots and easier in others. Physical tests like lifting, endurance, and fighting are expected. Being locked in a box for as long as possible is not. But I guess that’s just to prove your resolve?
Despite Duran’s background, I did find some of the action scenes hard to believe. Maybe it’s because I was reading it rather then seeing it so I had a harder time visualizing things like Duran standing on a bike and punching a guy without falling. Physics, you know?
Anyhow, for characters, I really enjoyed Duran and Ruby (and their friendship), but Jack is a wanker. I think we are supposed to think that though. I already forget the general’s name, and I can’t even remember the rank of the trailing officer…That’s pretty bad.  The other people where interchangeable to me.
My over all assessment of this book is this. While I did struggle for the first little bit to get into the book, it picked up around the newspaper part for me, personally. This story is short and to the point. Most of the information you need is in there and the author doesn’t waste a lot of words giving it to you. I like that. There’s nothing I hate more than a long and winding book that never really gets to its point.
There were some questions that remain unanswered, but I kind of suspect the author may be entertaining the idea of writing another book that may answers those questions. Just speculation on my part. The action isn’t always believable and sometimes I had to reread a few lines in order to visualize what was going on. But if you can suspend your disbelief and the sudden inattention of characters that used to appear to see everything in a few places, it’s a great ride.
This book was really interesting. It was a look into something that is a very real possibility. I highly recommend it
Apologies, I really wanted to read and write a review for this book, but sadly it is only available on Kindle. I have given it the current average rating of 4 stars.
This was a good paced title with a lot of plot twists that I just didn't see coming which was great! I really didn't care for the cover to this one. I thought it was very blended together.  Political issues are a major role in this one so if that isn't your thing this book may not be for you.  But I say still give it a try because it was really good.  This book was very short but also very full. I was very surprised how much the author really added to the story as it just doesn't feel like its under 200 pages.  The characters are wonderful and although I didn't connect with anyone I loved Ruby, Hogan, and Clive. The VR aspect of this one reminded me of Ready Player One and others like it.  If you are a science fiction fan then check this one out.
I obtained this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.

Hogan Duran is a man that lost everything he cared about and was pushed aside to live on the fringes of society.  He is a very complex and multi-faceted character who is just trying to survive after his downfall in a world that is progressively disappearing unless you happen to be wealthy.  After several years of living a squalid hand-to-mouth life, he is suddenly approached by the group whose only purpose is to protect the rich inhabitants from harm.  Joining this group seems like a second chance for Hogan.  He can finally leave the last four years of base existence behind.    The National Security Council seems like the answer to all of his dreams.  In order to join them, he faces a grueling and deadly entrance test and is awarded a spot in the NSC for his efforts.

After his induction into the NSC, he begins to notice that there are things that the NSC wants to keep hidden.  As he delves further into the world of the NSC, he uncovers the darkness at the heart of the organization.  He learns that his path to redemption comes with a terrible price and that he has to be the one to shine a light on that darkness.  The only problem is that he is only one man trying to bring about the downfall of a huge corrupt organization.  Will he sit back and allow the darkness to grow or will he fight the machine that may ultimately crush him?

This book was set in a unique dystopian world that twists our own into a very different background.  The method of using global warming and rising seas as the reason for the world splintering and finally breaking is a fresh new way of creating a future dystopian world.  Instead of using existing tropes for the fragmentation of society, Clive Fleury takes something that is already occurring (global warming and the rising oceans) and fast forwards to a time where it has already happened and the world has to deal with the consequences.  I found this new way of introducing the dystopian future society trope very intriguing as well as being a possible future that we may soon face.

Combining the oceans rising with a corrupt organization and one man trying to do the right thing made for a taut, realistic book that the reader can connect with.  Throughout the book, the reader has the question of how far they would go and what price they would be willing to pay in order to bring down a massive and corrupt organization.  I found this book to be fast-paced, but not so fast as to lose the reader.  The pace of the book keeps you on the edge of your seat as you develop a mental and emotional bond with Hogan and face the same questions as he does: Is he willing to throw away his new life in order to overthrow corruption or is he capable of following the status quo and keeping his mouth shut?  As you read this book, you have to ask yourself what you would do if you were in Hogan's situation.

This book is not only an enjoyable read, it is also a test of your own beliefs and values.  What would you do if you were in his shoes?  How much would you ignore in order to protect your new life?

I'm definitely looking forward to more from Clive Fleury.  His prose and descriptions are visceral and real.  When you read this book, be prepared to feel a connection with his characters.  They are relatable and multi-faceted and you can't help but feel the internal struggles of Hogan as he tries to decide what to do with the knowledge he discovers.
Good storyline with interesting characters.
Captivating, not boring.
Well written.

Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
I received a complimentary copy of this book through Netgalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
In this dystopian world, the rich live in luxury,  while the poor wait at the garbage dump to fight for scraps and jobs are few.
Hogan Duran is a disgraced police officer, forced to resign after his partner got shot. When he gets an offer to test to be an officer for the National Security Council, he jumps at the chance. Only one person in the class will be chosen and the tests are brutal and life-threatening. But when secrets about the NSC are revealed,  Hogan must decide whether to go along or fight the system.
This story reminded me of the Matrix movies, especially the simulation tests.  It's very action-packed and kept me guessing what would happen next.
**Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an ARC copy in exchange for a fair and honest review**

This was shorter than I was expecting but a fun read that managed to tie up the ends neatly while also setting up the series well.

I enjoyed the characters and the storyline was complicated enough to keep me guessing.
I was drawn into this book from page 1.   Then it took a really weird turn.   One extra star for the surprise, but one less star cuz i didn't like it.  So I'm back to 4 stars.

I've read a lot of dystopian fiction.   Some excellent, some ridiculously stupid.   This was one of the better ones.   It has the required dark atmosphere, lack of water, scavengers, and good vs evil.   Howver, this offers a unique story line, which I really enjoyed.

I liked the world building, the writing style, the characters and the plot.   I felt a little disappointed at the end, which is why this isn't 5 stars.
This book is geared towards teens and young adults, so I was surprised at how much foul language it has in it.  I would have enjoyed the story much more without the swearing.

Aside from that, the story line was fast paced and kept me entertained, up until about 75% in. At that point, it seemed like the author needed to hurry up and end the book, so the plot took a backseat to the violence and action. I was pretty disappointed with that, because the rest of the story had been enjoyable up to that point.

The book didn’t end on a cliffhanger, but it definitely didn’t have closure at the end either. Simply based on the language, I most likely won’t be reading any future books in this series.
Decent dystopian novel - really quick read! I have seen this book compared to Hunger Games and although accurate, it reminds me more of the old Mad Max movie with Mel Gibson. Especially with the biker gangs!

Surprising plot twist and interesting characters... I would have preferred a longer story so it could have more depth but I would definitely read a sequel.

*Thanks to NetGalley and publishers for an advanced reader's copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
This book is a fascinating preview of what might happen if the birdenburgers get their way, and they are the rich elite while the masses starve to death and kill each other off for survival.  The main character is an ex policeman who quit the force, because he believed it was his fault that his partner was shot and paralyzed.  He then applied for a chance to become a part of the elite protective service.    He is a good man that is ethical and efficient in combat.  He meets a woman in the training, and they tend to pair up.  Both characters are very likable.  This book is a horrifying glimpse of what the world be like if the super rich had all the money, power, resources, and food.
Fast pace, easy read, post apocalyptic! Hunter the protagonist enlists into a Security organization which has a gruelling gauntlet of challenges to win the only available position. Before long he is thrown headlong into a situation where Hunter, Rudy and others may save the day.

other comment(s):
- I knew the author was British because he used the word "tip" instead of dump or garbage dump.  Perhaps it depends on the audience.
«Kill Code» by Clive Fleury is a fast-paced, action-packed adult dystopian novel, about an ex-cop joining the NSC (National Security Council) forces. The book isn’t long, a little above 200 pages, and the only reason I didn’t finish it in one sitting (even though I really wanted to!) was that I started reading it very late at night and kept falling asleep at around 70% of the book.

1 – Okay! If you loved the Hunger Games preparations to the actual game and the trials at the Dauntless faction in Divergent, NSC trials are basically that but on steroids and for adults! Intense, filled with rivalry! Honestly, the competition was probably my favorite part. I get so invested in the character’s struggles and the drive to win. I love it!

2 – Clive Fleury is also a screenwriter, TV and film director and producer. And you could feel that while reading the book because it would make a very intense and interesting movie. Basically, any movie with dystopian settings is up there on my top list.

3 – You could read this book in a couple of hours. It’s relatively short and very action-packed. There is no breathing room at all, the punches keep coming at Hogan at all time of day and night.

4 – I loved the small Virtual Reality element of this book. Basically one of the trials was for the recruits to participate in a VR challenge. I’m not gonna say anything else, so you’ll have to read the book to see what it was! 🙂

5 – This is a dystopian book, set in a dystopian world. But we didn’t get to see much of it. Or explained how it all happened. It felt more like “Oh, look! This is a dystopian world, and life is hard. People need to learn to survive”, without actually showing more of the world. Maybe there will be more books in this world / series? I’m not sure, but I wish we’d see more of the background story.

Once again, the book told us as much as a movie would, just creating the scenes but not dwelling on the whys and hows. Which makes sense for the movies, they can’t explain everything in 2 hours. The books are different and should be more detailed, in my opinion.
I received an advanced copy from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review of this book.  Kill Code by Clive Fleury is an imaginative look into the future of New York (and elsewhere in America).  Hogan Duran is a former police officer who is now just barely scraping by when his application to the National Security Council is accepted.  Now he just has to survive the selection process.   This story moves at a great pace and will keep you on the edge of your seat with its many twist and turns.  The hero’s and the villains are all well presented and you feel like you are part of the story.  But will the ending be what you expect?  I look forward to reading more from Clive Fleury in the future.
I received a free eARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This by no means affected my opinion of it.

💎

There are books that I hate, books that I love, and then there's KILL CODE, a breathtaking, wild ride that I literally could not put down. Not while eating, not in the car, not at midnight when I knew I should be sleeping. Instead, I was glued to the screen of my kindle. I'll admit that I had no expectations going into this book, but KILL CODE seeped into my brain and permanently moved into the depths of my heart, cementing its place in my memory forever.

So why the empty star? Well, for starters, I found the plot to be rather tedious and run-of-the-mill at first. As interesting as the training sequences were, they were a bit lackluster and halfheartedly written, lacking any real tension or suspense. Our main character also happens to be a total Gary Stu, perfect at everything he touches. Thankfully, the pace picks up and the reader is bombarded with plot twist after spectacular plot twist, action sequence after thrilling action sequence, and a climax that builds higher and higher until it practically explodes off the page.

Personally, I think the characters could have been aged a little younger. If I remember correctly, the main character is in his mid-thirties and the lead female is in her late twenties. Since this is YA dystopian (mild swearing and only brief nudity), I would have preferred them to be at least a decade younger. However, this did not cause too much of a problem and did not at all hinder the character development, which was done very slowly and very well. Overall, KILL CODE blew me away. I highly recommend it.
Disclaimer: I was given an ARC of "Kill Code" for free through NetGalley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

I would like to first pat myself on the back for getting through this ARC in its entirety without passing out from boredom.

Done! Onto my review.

Despite what you might think, I hold no hatred for this book. Much like how I don't hate bees, but still avoid them whenever possible.

Hogan Duran. The only thing I learned about him was he has an ego the size of what's left of North America. Ruby's probably the love interest in the story, but the readers wouldn't know it by how little we're let into Hogan's thoughts and feelings. Not the kind of experience I anticipating when reading in the first-person narrative.

It's possible my love for the dystopian genre was my downfall in the end, for having read so many, but I found "Kill Code" incredibly predictable. The parts that weren't predictable made no logistical sense! What started out as a good plot twist--something in this book I finally felt I could rally behind--turned into... How do I put this delicately? I cant. It was an elaborate shit show.

Lastly, for my fellow disabled readers, do yourselves a favor and skip this book. The only disabled representation, if you can call it that, was Hogan's best friend. Max merely served as a reminder of Hogan's guilt for being the reason his friend's in a wheelchair, to the point where he quit one of the few stable jobs left in existence. Once they're attacked for Max's outstanding gambling debt, Hogan encourages him to leave town. Don't even get me started on the public bus Hogan carried him onto. Apparently, wheelchair lifts and designated wheelchair seats cease to exist by the year 2031. Max's wheelchair was separated from him, thrown in with the luggage, for what I can only assume is the duration of the ride.

Do I recommend this book? No.
Will I be reading the next installment? No.
Hogan Duran is a retired cop.  He retired as he failed to save his partner from getting shot.  His partner ends up in a wheelchair and eventually lives with Hogan’s studio apartment.  To survive, he works for creepy, cruel people and scavenges trash for food and other usable items.  He has applied to work for a company job that would make his life easier.  Will he get it?  He gets an invitation from the National Security Council (NCS).  If he passes their tests, he will get to live a life of luxury and wealth.   When he passes the test, he learns of things that has him wondering what NCS really is.  What does he know?

The novel is a page turner.  New events come one after another.  Even when there is a chance of a breath before the next event, a surprising twist occurs.  This story shows a possible future for our world which I found scary.  I enjoyed following Hogan’s experiences and learning what to do.
I enjoyed the book Kill Code very much. It was a new twist to a world after an apocalyptic ending. The writing was fresh and well thought through. There were a few times that I was surprised about the direction it took but it was a good read. I’m looking forward to any future books in this genre especially by this author.