Heart of a Highlander

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Jun 2019

A splendid historical romance set in Scotland. Good writing and story building. So enjoyed it and look forward to more by Ms. Mansfield
I felt this was an enjoyable read, with two likeable main characters, and the timeslip and the military slant were done well, I did think that some of the elements of the story left me with questions, and there were some inconsistencies but overall it was good fun to read.

Ian Mackay is a 29 year old ex vet of the Afghanistan campaign, working on his parents farm in Ohio, bored with the farming life, and tortured by guilt over the deaths of men under his command. He is involved in a RTA, and has the choice to go back in time to live an ancestors life in 17th century Scotland, in return for the chance to change what happened in Afghanistan.

In the body of the now dead original  Ian Mackay, the modern day Ian marries Aila Gordon who is sister to the Laird of Clan Gordon. This has been ordered by the king to unite feuding clans. Aila doesn’t want to marry Ina Mackay, because of his drunken, philandering wastrel ways, and she believes she is not the sort of woman men find attractive. Aila has discovered Ian Mackay’s dead body, so she recognises that he is not the same person when she marries the modern Ian Mackay the next day. Her harsh brother obeys the king, and then sends Aila off with Ian, after warning her he will kill any children she and Ian have.

The two of them are sent to an inhospitable part of northern Scotland to a ruin of a castle Ian was promised in return for marrying Aila, Ian has to work hard to learn how to feed and house and support his clan, and avaoid his enemies the Sutherland’s and the Gordon’s. This is a really interesting part of the book, and held my attention.

Where I struggled a little was the blithe way Ian relinquished his connections to his parents and modern life, that didn’t ring true. I also felt the resolution at the end, was almost too neat and tidy.

To summarise an enjoyable read with a couple of inconsistencies and a slightly too neat conclusion.

Also posted on Goodreads.

I voluntarily reviewed an advance reader copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
I am not a fan of time-travel romances, but the synopsis intrigued me so I decided to give it a try. As far as the time-travel, I feel that the author did an excellent job of meshing the time periods. I liked how Ian used his modern-day skills in historic Scotland. I loved the connection and chemistry between Aila and Ian, without giving too much away, I didn’t like the way Ian dealt with Fergus—I think the book would have been much better without the entire scene(s) with Fergus and Ian. While the book began really well, I thought that it ended a little too abruptly. While the author did try to tie up loose ends, I still felt as though I had missed something.

Overall, not a bad read. If you enjoy Scottish, steamy romances with strong main characters, then this is the book for you.
I really enjoyed this book. It's the first time travel romance book I read where the character that goes back in the past is a man and not a woman. It was a nice change and I really enojoyed it. It had a slow start but once the story picked up I couldn't stop reading.  The main female character - Aila was a strong heroine with a kick ass personality, a certain charisma, and a strong will of her own capable to stand her ground against everyone else. I really liked her. I liked the story, the characters and the time travelling back to Scotland in 1600s.
But on the other hand, the Scots' accents could have been executed a little better. As they were, they just annoyed me and distracted me from the story. Also many things are not well described and are left alone without further descriptions which annoyed me but as story progressed things got more clear (or they simply didn't bother me that much any more). I also wish we'd get more of Ian adjusting to the past times (and a different body too). It seemed like he got used to it all way to quickly and easily. It felt rushed.
But overall this was a nice solid read. I'll defenitely check out more books by Ms. Mansfield.
This book wasn't bad.  I did read it to the end, but I kept wanting more meat on it's bones.  So many things were glossed over or missed.  I would of loved more back story on adapting to life in the 1600's, and deeper character development.  I think the star of this book is the romance. So if you like erotic sex scenes, with an entertaining back story, you will enjoy this book.
Heart of a highlander is a romantic historical time traveling book about a man from current times struggling with life who dies and is given a second chance. He must go back in time and take over for one of his ancestors and right some wrongs that were not suppose to happen.

When Ian agrees he is thrown back into the 1600s Scotland where he will have to work his butt off to save his family and people of this village. Of course it’s not without challenges, but he never anticipated his new wife.

Feuding families, building a village up from scratch, falling for a complete stranger, this book is very interesting and the end felt perfect considering how the whole book started. Really enjoyed this one.
Story starts out with Ian, a soldier suffering from PTSD in present day Ohio. Trying to avoid an Amish girl, he swerves into the ditch and flips the pickup 3 times and dies. Upon awaking, he is met with Tobias, who takes him back in time to an ancestor with the same name, who has died by being drunk and choking on his own vomit. Tobias places him in the other Ian's body, and he awakens in 1600 Scotland. He next is sent to the chapel, where he awaits his betrothed Aila, who is the sister of Fergus, from a clan he is feuding with. Wasn't sure how this would work, but actually ended up really liking this one. Good story, good author, and one I highly recommend. Hard to put this one down.