The Family Upstairs

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 Oct 2019

This is the third book I have read by Lisa Jewell and she proves herself to once again be a master of the gothic psychological thriller. The suspense she creates not only through her mysterious characters but through her plot twists and creepy atmosphere lends to a thriller that is as intriguing as it is disturbing.

This particular novel moves between past and present and is told through multiple perspectives which I really enjoyed. The dysfunctional family dynamics and unsettling atmosphere make this a darker read than her previous novels, but she weaves all the pieces together expertly, creating a page turner that I could not get enough of.
Lisa Jewell is one of my favourite authors so my expectations are always high. This book while not my favourite of hers did not disappoint. She’s a great writer and always knows how to keep the reader in suspense. This book is told from multiple perspectives and gives a creepy, twisty vibe which really picks up pace near the middle.
The Family Upstairs is a psychological thriller that focuses on Libby, a young woman who just turned 25 and inherited a multi-million dollar home. The home was left to her by her biological parents, with whom she has no relationship as she was raised by a foster family. Meanwhile, the alternating chapters flip to other characters who are exchanging texts that read, "The baby is 25". This immediately drew me in. I'm being very careful about spoilers here, but the book is laced with different perspectives and some clever liars. Normally I'm able to figure out the ending before it's revealed. I did predict some parts of the plot but there are two twists towards the end of the novel that were very unexpected. The last two pages of this book knocked me off my feet.

I'm rating this novel four stars because some parts of the book were a little confusing so I had to revisit prior chapters.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book.
Told in three points-of-view and in past and present, The Family Upstairs is a spiderweb of a story. Written in the typical Lisa Jewell plot structure style that I find very suspenseful and I love all the twists and turns! Uncovering each layer of the story bit by bit. Lisa Jewell is definitely an auto-buy author for me since discovering her in 2017.

I’m fascinated in reading stories about cult activity, which could be another reason why I enjoyed this book so much. A downside was that I did find it hard to keep track at some points but everything eventually comes together. The reader just needs patience to ride out the suspense until the story ties up the loose ends.

The story dives into the past of these characters’ lives and the absurd events that consume their family when their parents allow another family to stay at their home. It’s a suspenseful, creepy, cult-y story with a lot happening around it and I enjoyed it.

The Family Upstairs including abuse, domestic violent, and murder.
This is my 2nd or 3rd book by Lisa Jewell she doesn’t disappoint.  But, this one gave me weird vibes.  The first part was a bit slow and I was somewhat confused at first but soon I got to know who was whom in the story.
The story had a good flow, found out the truth about Libby, her mother, half siblings etc... but at the end I wanted more; Phin what about him. It wasn’t totally explored.  Felt unfinished to me. I wanted more.
I want to thank NetGalley, Simon & Schuster Canada and Atria Books for an early copy in exchange of an honest review.
Wow! The Family Upstairs is absolutely full of twists and turns. Not only will it keep you guessing, but you won't know what hit you by the end of the book.
If you were/are a fan of V.C. Andrews, then you need to put this book on your to read list.... right now!
This was such a creepy story.

There were three different alternating narratives. Two were in third person, and followed Libby and Lucy. The third narrative was in first person, told by Henry. It took a while for these narratives to come together, but each story was thrilling in itself.

There were so many creepy parts to the story. I couldn’t figure out how everyone was related for a long time, but I really wanted to find out. I couldn’t put the book down.

I highly recommend this book if you like fast paced thrillers!

Thank you Simon and Schuster Canada for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was my fourth Lisa Jewell book.  I liked it but it was not everything I was expecting.  It was interesting to read about the cults, family drama, and all the all mysteries that were coming together.  I will still continue to pick up Lisa Jewells books and stioonhave some on my TBR to get to.
You did it again Lisa Jewell! Another great story to get sucked into.
So creepy and intense!

I absolutely loved everything about this book! The characters, the tone, and the plot, everything was deliciously sinister!

Fabulous writing and positively enthralling, The Family Upstairs will not allow you to put it down. Make sure you eat, drink, and have a potty break before you start, because once you go in, you won't be coming back it till it's done.

Truly one of my favourite thrillers of 2019!
I’m sorry I’m late with this one! But this novel was completely absorbing from start to finish. It alternates between present day and Libby whose just been informed she’s inherited a grand house in a fashionable and very expensive area of London, left to her by her late parents. Libby knows she was adopted but she has no idea of her past.

Going back 25 years + we learn about the original family of that home and all the other occupants that came to stay during that time frame.

We also have 2 more present day points of view of 2 other house members but were not quite sure who. They act as the narrator for that time period.

Some truly bad things occur in the home. And the after shocks do have some far reaching consequences.. a story of lives destroyed, innocence lost, corruption, power and greed and the coming together of family.

A highly engrossing read that never drags or let’s up with the action and the mysteries.

Special thanks to Netgalley  and the publishers for this great novel.
Omg I loved this book. I read it in less than a 24 hour period while on holidays and had a hard time putting it down. It's all kinds of crazy and multi dimensional and INTENSE.

Libby is now 25 years old and the day she has been waiting for her entire life has arrived. The day she finds out who her birth parents are. But she also finds out that she's now the owner of a multi million dollar home in London. In alternating chapters, we also quickly learn that Libby isn't the only one who has been waiting for this day.

25 years ago, horrible things happened in the house on Cheyne Walk. Police arrived on scene to find 3 dead bodies on the floor, a suicide note and a healthy, thriving 10 month old baby (Libby). What events and secrets led to their deaths, but the survival of Libby? What happened to the other children reportedly living in the home?

It was crazy to read the chapters about the past, about what really went down behind the doors of the mansion. There's something weirdly fascinating about cults, as horrifying as they may be. And then trying to piece together how the past meets up with the present and who, if anyone, is not to be trusted or is the "bad guy"...it's hard to get this out in words, but man, I had no idea how it was all going to play out, but it was quite the ride!

Thanks to Net Galley and Simon and Schuster Canada for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.
I absolutely raced through this book. Jewel has a way of writing that engrosses and connects you quickly to the world she’s building. A story about a lost family, a shift from a normal life to a cult told from the perspective of three characters. Twists and turns along the way, some predictable and some not, the book overall is a good solid read. The cult itself was so fascinating to read, and the stories of their lives within that.

R E V I E W

Libby Jones is a successful designer. She loves her work and is generally happy in her life. On her twenty-fifth birthday she returns home from work to a letter containing the beginnings of the truth of where she came from.
She soon discovers who her birth parents are and that she has inherited an abandoned mansion. But what really happened in that mansion. Why were her parents found dead from an apparent suicide in strange black robes and who was the third man that was dead beside them?
What follows is a suspenseful mystery of what truly happened to the family at 16 Cheyne Walk.
Told from the perspectives of three people this book is filled with twists and turns. It is suspenseful, thrilling and exciting. It was so difficult to put down. Once again Lisa Jewell hit it right out of the park!
I really enjoyed this book! I've read other books by Lisa Jewell and this was another good one! It's perfect if you don't like  thrillers that are super-scary.
That is how you write a book! Hot damn! That book was one epic ride! Firstly, let's address how effortlessly the author delivered the multiple perspectives. This was one very complicated, in-depth story that had so many layers! To tackle that on its own is an accomplishment. But then to add it coming from multiple points of view, with additional backstory without causing confusion?! Brav-freaking-O! The Family Upstairs is such a compelling family drama that is mysterious, horrific and thrilling. The character development is perfection. Their stories unravelling until the very last page! Just when you think you're on to something, the author spins you another direction. Keeping you on the very edge of your seat! And each character standing out just as strong as the other. The gripping storytelling paired with an outstanding character cast made this chilling book an unforgettable read!
I have read and enjoyed Lisa Jewell’s novels in the past so I was incredibly excited for this read!
I love books about family secrets so this one seemed right up my alley!

25 year old Libby’s life seems to be taking an upward turn when she finds out that she has inherited her birth parent’s mansion in an upscale London neighborhood. However, Libby couldn’t have known the mystery surrounding this mansion and it’s dark past until she is thrown into the midst of it.

My favorite thing about this book was the creepy atmosphere. I literally got chills multiple times while reading it. I found the plot to be well done, although it was much more of a low-key suspense than I was anticipating. However, Jewell’s writing did not disappoint and I did enjoy my experience with this book!
I enjoyed this book. The writing was so good that I found myself sucked into the story from the beginning.

The twists through this book kept me reading way past when I should have been and I couldn't put it down.

I have never read Lisa Jewell's wotk before but I am going to read more from her now.
*In return for an honest review, I was provided with a non-final, digital review copy of this book. I obtained it through NetGalley, and was given it by the novel's publisher. The following thoughts are my own.*

My first introduction to Lisa Jewell was when her book, Then She Was Gone, piqued my interest. I was at a local library, saw it out of the corner of my eye, and decided then that I wanted to read it. Of course, I did some research to see how reviews were, but pretty much knew that I was going to grab it from the get-go. In the end, I was glad that I did, because it was a really solid book, and stood out as one of my favourite reads of the 2018.

After reading Then She Was Gone, I obtained an early copy of her next novel, Watching You. However, despite wanting to like it as much as the one before it, it didn't do much for me. It was fine, somewhat entertaining and interesting enough, but wasn't what I'd hoped or expected it to be. So-so, I guess you'd say.

Now, I'm here with my review of The Family Upstairs; the third Lisa Jewell book that I've read in just over a year's time. It falls in the middle, between the mediocre Watching You and the really strong Then She Was Gone. I didn't love it, but I liked it enough to give it a three star review.

I do, however, think that this story is mislabeled as a thriller. I didn't find much of it to be thrilling, nor did it really get my heart pounding or anything like that. It's more of a mystery than anything, and I feel that calling it a thriller will end up disappointing people who are looking for that type of book.

The People Upstairs is an odd tale, about a wealthy family that lives in the Cheyne Walk
This book was an entertaining, addictive read. This was the first book by Jewell that I have read and I am looking forward to reading her other books after reading this one. I loved how slowly the mystery of what happened in the house at 16 Cheyne Walk all those years ago are revealed to us, and it leaves you wanting more as we learn piece by chilling piece. Such a dark, edgy past, that leaves you with a lot of questions, but fear not. All your questions will be answers as you read the chapters. So many secrets and lies, hidden truths and drama. Libby is excited to find out who her true parents are. When she turns 25 she finally receives the letter she has been waiting for all these years.

I enjoyed reading about Libby. She was an interesting and likeable character, and I enjoyed learning about her past and her birth family, and learning their secrets and their lies all those years ago. It was fun to read about Libby’s growth as a character in the book and I enjoyed reading about her encounter with the other characters in this novel as well.

Without giving too much away you’ll have to read this book! A definite must add to your TBR!
The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell leads the reader astray, chapter by chapter. Libby Jones never knew who her parents were. As her twenty-fifth birthday approaches, she receives documents that she hopes will divulge who she really is. Instead, she becomes the beneficiary of an abandoned mansion along the river Thames in London which is worth millions of pounds. Twenty- five years ago, police were called to a mansion where they found a healthy ten-month-old baby and the bodies of three deceased adults. Missing from the premises were four children who were believed to be living there. Who were the deceased? Where are the children? What happened during the last twenty-five years? Why is Libby the beneficiary of a fortune? This thriller will have you guessing incorrectly till the end. Highly recommended. Thank you to Simon & Schuster and NetGalley for the e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.