Little Weirds

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 Feb 2020

I love Jenny Slate.
I DO NOT love this book.

This is not a collection of essays or a memoir style snapshot of Jenny's life story. This book is a rambling stream of conscious that reads like a teen's overwrought diary. These short chapters are merely jumbles of words, loosely tied to a certain topic, but with no point or lesson or impact. I honestly can't fathom someone finding much meaning in these writings.

Thanks to NetGalley for a free digital copy of this book in exchange for my feedback.
I really wanted to like this book. It's a New York Times bestseller, after all, and has plenty of five-star reviews already. Unfortunately, I feel like the kid who walked into class late and no one will tell her what page they're on in the textbook and none of the notes on the blackboard make any sense. The most charitable thing I can say about Little Weirds is that it lives up to its title magnificently. It's definitely weird. It left me with the same clammy, disoriented feeling as waking up from a fever dream with no idea about the meaning of what I just experienced.
Little Weirds is just that. Jenny Slate is definitely not a normal person, and that comes across beautifully in this book. A collection of short essays, the book involves weird dating profiles, the best way to make a sardine sandwich, carrying lemons, and being haunted by a sea captain.  Some stories are funny, others are just...well little weirds.
***Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***
Jenny Slate is and will always be hilarious to me. This book made me want to be her friend just to witness her shenanigans and feed off of her energy!
Jenny Slate is the absolute queen of gentle weirdness. I wish I'd had someone like her in my life when I was younger. "Emotional horniness" is perhaps the greatest phrase to describe exactly what it sounds like that's every been written. I will carry this book with me forever.
I love Jenny Slate! I requested this book right away on that fact alone. Each essay is relatable... for fans or anyone reading them. This is the best essay collection I read this year.
*ARC provided via NetGalley ⁣
⁣
I really enjoy humorous essay collections, especially when they are written by a favorite celebrity of mine. (Mindy Kaling for the win). I’m a fan of Jenny Slate’s acting and stand up specials, so I was eager to read her collection. ⁣
When one of the sentences in a book reads “I was born during the great Potato Chip, in the time of Jewish Deli Tongue Sandwich”, it gives you a good indication of what the rest of the book will be like. Here is Jenny imagining herself as a croissant, and now a singing vagina, then to wistful descriptions of her favorite flower and honest musings about her loneliness. This type of prose, which can be equal parts deeply poetic and deeply odd, reminded me of Chuck Palahniuk, and I can see how it might not be everyone’s cup of tea. It made me reflect on some of the weird dreams and thoughts I myself have had, and how I’ve kept those types of thoughts to myself because I’m afraid of what others may think. Thanks to Jenny, I have the courage to be more open about my own “little weirds”.
Quirky and relatable, Little Weirds is Jenny Slate's tour de force! With a stream of consciousness style that quickly draws you into a rich inner world, this book is a struggle to set down! Covering everything from ghosts to childhood (or maybe the ghosts of childhood?) to sexuality and loneliness, this novel is a great gift for anyone interested in unique poetry styles and/or confessionals.

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me an advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
Thanks to NetGalley, Little, Brown & Company, and Jenny Slate for the opportunity to read this book.

However, I definitely feel like I am not the target audience for this book. It's a very stream of consciousness/memoir that is indeed full of "little weirds."  Much too weird for me.

I did like the cover drawing though!
This is a strange, original book. Filled with pieces that are somewhere between essays and short stories it is not what you’d expect from Slate. It’s interesting and at times indulgent but the effort is much more compelling than the typical celebrity book.
OK so this book is WEIRD!  But its billed as weird, so that makes it ok. I'd never heard of this comic but after reading this, I looked for her!  Clever. Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher!
Read my full review here: https://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot.com/2019/12/little-weirds.html

“I was born on the boundary line between cold and hot, at the intersection of the two elements that make a clap of thunder. I was born at the time of year when the sun wants to warm the earth but the winter has frozen it almost to the point of permanent frigidity.”

Welcome to Jenny Slate’s mind. The essays in her new book, Little Weirds vary in length from a paragraph or two to several pages long. Some are deeply personal and some are just—well—weird. She writes about her marriage ending while at the same time remembering her childhood; she celebrates her family and her friendships while deploring Donald Trump’s presidency. She is very hard on herself while at the same time looking forward to a future of self-acceptance and self-love.

The NPR reviewer was quite critical of Slate’s writing, wishing it were more like her stand-up musings. Since I knew nothing of her stand-up career, I had to watch a couple of YouTube videos to get a sense of how she is in person. Many of the videos were appearances on late night shows. Here is one visit to Seth Meyers. All of the topics appear to be deeply personal and off-the-cuff funny. Frankly, I think that she is a person that you would like to know.

I felt that the essays were very uneven and much more vague than her stand-up sets. Read it for yourself and form your own opinion. My advice, however, is to read it in little bursts. It is a bit much to read in one sitting.

Jenny Slate has a special on Netflix. It is called Stage Fright.  At least now I know who Jenny Slate is.
Jenny Slate is a gift to the world. Her unique perspective & her unmatched quirkiness makes this book a delight. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to think, be confused, or just wants to escape reality for a bit.
I am very surprised by how much this one is not working for me. I can’t, by any means, label myself a significant Jenny Slate fan, but after reading about this one, I was certain it would make me so. However, the tone - florid when I expected funny - and the randomness just isn’t going well for me. I am not going to do a public review, as I did not read enough to justify a rating. Thanks for the opportunity, nonetheless, just a miss for me!
Was delighted to realize that the writer of this book was ALSO the adorable stand-up comedian I had just watched on Netflix. Fun and funny read.
OK, this book is definitely weird. In case you couldn't tell by the title or by knowing Jenny Slate and all her fabulousness. And I'm going to say that it's probably not the book for anyone. But if you're weird, too, and you often find yourself pondering life and all of its weirdness, you might find yourself really enjoying this!

Some of the essays are quick and some are a bit longer. Some feature kissing rabbits and some feature vaginas singing (what? yes.). My favorite one featured the time (times?) Jenny died while listening to a man talk. I could relate to this SO much and though I never imagined myself actually dying in these situations, now I do! And it actually helps.

Little Weirds is the kind of book you want to read slowly and I don't recommend it if you're looking for something light and breezy to fly through. I think you really need time to take in each essay and fully appreciate what Jenny is trying to say. It's also the kind of book that I'll definitely return to at some point as I feel like the essays will have different meanings for me at different points in my life.
Jenny Slate is preciously weird and funny. I adored this little collection and am so happy to read more from an author and comedian I admire.
I'm a big fan of Jenny Slate and really wanted to like this book but...I just couldn't. It's not a little weird, it's too weird. But in a trying too hard weird sort of way. It's less of a book and more of a performance art set to paper. I wish it were more about her or her humor.
To come to Little Weirds expecting a traditional memoir is to be disappointed, but it is also to find in Jenny Slate’s prose an elegant eccentricity using humor to mask, celebrate, amplify, excise, and heal a crippling emotional wound.

Slate has more than a touch of the literary about her, being a daughter of the contemporary literary poet Ron Slate, but her voice is so her own that her meditations on her thoughts and actions, insecurities and habits, move into a territory less whimsical and more ardently self-assured. It would be too easy to call Slate “quirky” and doing so gives us no insight into the resonance she packs into her wholly unique if not bizarre metaphors to convey self-doubt, deep appreciation for her family, crippling depression, and heartbreak. She goes over these topics aware of the melodrama she is making of her vivid and real pain, but also certain that her personal narrative matters not just for her but for readers, too.

And she’s right. When we read about the home where she grew up, Slate grounds us so deeply in an understanding of place that it is as though we are possessed in the reading. Then she makes some self-deprecating jokes, humor at her expense, to relieve us of the heavy weight we’ve taken on. The most moving and entertaining parts of Little Weirds are Slate’s ruminations on her family. When she talks about her mother, she is speaking in a tone of admiration, friendship, and such deep tenderness it is near impossible for us to imagine Slate could ever feel such crippling self-doubt or contempt. This is the point, of course. As we read, Slate relates to us all the ways she ought not to be feeling the way she does. But then, she breaks out of this because she underwent it to embrace self-care, to celebrate friendships, and to show how her devotion to her craft can be a model for others.

There are very few passages in Little Weirds that aren’t completely unlike anything you’ve ever read. Slate explores her own psyche in a fascinating way, making readers willing voyeurs. Yet however outlandish or far-fetched her metaphor, elliptic her logic, or seemingly ostentatious her lamentations may seem, Slate always brings us back to a deep sentiment that moves us. Little Weirds is a work of creative nonfiction designed to have readers laughing through their tears while looking deeper into themselves and how they relate to others.
This book is made up of a bunch of weird and funny stories and thoughts and lots of feelings of heartbreak and loss but also feelings of moving forward and loving yourself anyway. Jenny Slate is the kind of person everyone wants as their best friend or sister or fun aunt. She is so full of life and optimism and just makes the reader feel like its all going to be just fine.