The Quiet Ones

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Honestly, this was a hard hitting read. The book starts with the death of a well known, renowned football figure Harry Nugent - and the way he dies and his body is found is absolutely brutal. Oonagh McNeil is a journalist looking to cover the story who finds herself investigating what happened to him and the brutal deaths of other men which followed. What connected them - and who wanted them dead?

Oonagh and the police uncover much more than they probably expected to but the scary thing is we know that things like this happen in real life, thanks to very high profile cases of TV entertainers using places such as hospitals for their own 'benefit'.

The ending was a complete surprise - I actually kept turning to my partner and saying I need to get to the end, I need to know who did it - and I didn't guess it at all - it was a complete surprise but one that made total sense.

I'm definitely looking forward to reading more from this author and I'd love to read more about Oonagh, she is a very interesting character.
Firstly Thanks to Vicky at Aria for my e-arc of the new dark thriller from Theresa Talbot, The Quiet Ones

This is my first read by this author, and to start I didn't realise I was reading the 3rd in a series, so straight away, this is very easy to read as a standalone, though by the end, if as like me this is your first, I can only imagine you will want more of investigative reporter Oonagh O'Neil.

When a rich, football coach and now businessman, Harry Nugent is found in an apparent suicide, It's soon discovered there is not only more to his death, He was in fact murdered, there is much more to the man himself... and its nothing good.

With no one wanting to talk, rumours soon surface about Harry's foul predilection for the young boys he was coaching.

A cold, dark story of corruption in high places, disgraceful men and women of power abusing their positions for their vile gain. This is a disturbing and at times grim tale

Written as Oonagh investigates, it's also interspersed with DI Alec Davies's investigation, and back to 1983 where young Tommy's story is told, he being one of Harry's early victims.

Oonagh is a character I took to almost straight away, a strong character with a need to make things right, she doesn't let up in her pursuit of justice and I like both the character in DI Alec Davies and the relationship they have.

This is really quite a current thriller, paced perfectly throughout and a cracking finale.

With stories coming out now in real life from footballers who had their dreams shattered by these despicable men, this book shocks and pulls no punches.

A  tragic yet compelling tale, this is an excellent chilling thriller.

Highly recommended

The Quiet Ones was not an easy read but it was extremely compelling and fascinating. Although this was actually book three in a series, I was quite happy to just dive straight in and this novel worked fantastically well as a standalone.  The essence of this story was shocking and distasteful but I am happy to say that the author Theresa Talbot approached and delivered it with compassion and respect. A great read if you are partial to atmospheric thrillers. A well earned five stars and very highly recommended!

I received a complimentary copy of this novel from Aria via NetGalley at my own request. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Took me a while to get into this book, wasn’t as fast paced as I normally enjoy but once I got into it I did enjoy reading it
This is the third book in the series, though it could be read as a stand-alone . Brings forth the investigative journalism of the protagonist Oonagh. The suspense is well maintained till the epilogue. The work of the police could have been elaborated more since they are the ones with more resources. Highlights the sexual abuse of underage boys and girls in psychiatric institutions. A good book. Recommended.
I want you to tell me what it’s like to die “

Harry Nugent is found, by his wife, hanging from a bannister….all looking like suicide, until they find his tongue has been cut off and stuffed back in his mouth.

A police investigation begins with DI Alec Davies and his team and rumours start to circulate that Harry may not have been the person the public believed him to be.

Journalist, Oonagh O’Neill sees a colleague writing the obituary and thinks there may be more to this story and so she starts her own investigation……but then two more bodies are found, with similar mutilations!!  As Oonagh gets closer to the answers, she is in danger herself….can the guilty be brought to justice finally?

This is a difficult read at times due to the subject matter. It deals with the abuse of young boys by a well respected football coach…..(something that has been in the news quite recently)….and that it was kept quiet by others around him.

This tale by Theresa Talbot is written showing sensitivity and compassion for the victims, and while it is a tough subject this brilliant thriller is a compelling read.

Thank you to Aria Fiction and NetGalley  for the opportunity to read a free copy of the ebook. This is my honest, unbiased review.
I've been lucky enough to follow this series from the very beginning, and the third book is every bit as riveting as I thought it would be!

Oonagh O'Neil is no-one's fool; a journalist of some repute with years of experience behind her, she definitely has a nose for a story. So when three supposedly unconnected bodies are found in a short space of time with similarities in the murder method, Oonagh's antennae is twitching. There's something not quite right and the police don't seem to be making any connections - can she find out what it's all about?

Another spectacular offering from Theresa Talbot, with enough secrets, twists and turns to keep the readers' attention gripped all the way through - I loved this one! Very cleverly created, incorporating plenty of side issues and events and laced with humour all the way through whilst never losing focus of the main story. Glasgow is my closest city, and I enjoy picturing all the locations described in the novel. Oonagh is no shrinking violet - she wouldn't be able to do her job if she was - but showing her vulnerable side is a masterstroke and makes her more human to the rest of us feartie's out here! A superb third novel, and another which fully earns the full five stars I'm very happy to attach to my review. A stunning read, and highly recommended to lovers of great crime fiction.

My thanks to publisher Aria for my copy via NetGalley. As always, this is is honest, original and unbiased review.
(Also posted on my GR account)

I'm conflicted as to give this a 2 or 1 stars. Personally, it was more of a (maybe) me thing and I could totally understand those who gave the book 4 to 5 stars.

The Quiet Ones followed Oonagh, a journalist hellbent on finding the truth behind a (seemingly) murder of a famous football coach, Nugent. Not only that there was a murder, there also seemed to be a mystery revolving the dead man. A secret that could shock everyone.

Not me tho.
I don't know. Is the book rely on the big shocking scandal? Or is it more procedural?
I didn't feel Oonagh there and she was the one in almost every chapter. Is it the writing? Is it the plot?
I felt distanced from the characters so I rushed to the end to find, at least, a closure. Much like what the book needs.
A new Oonagh O’Neil book is very much a cause for celebration.  After a debut appearance in The Lost Children  and a return in Keep Her Silent I was dying to see what Theresa Talbot had in store for investigative journalist Oonagh.

The appeal of these books is that Theresa Talbot puts a real (and distressing) story at the heart of Oonagh’s fictional adventures. The story is fictional but that core of reality and the way the author conveys the hurt the characters experienced makes the books utterly compelling.

In The Quiet Ones Oonagh is confronted with the possibility that a murdered sporting hero may have been killed because of a dark secret from his past.  Can Oonagh find a way to get vulnerable strangers to open up and discuss their past horrors? Even if she can, will there be evidence she can pass to the police to ensure justice can be done?

The Quiet Ones opens with a murder. It has the appearance of a professional hit and the police are baffled. The victim is a prominent figure in Scottish football circles, he supports a number of charities and good causes and his death is a headline writer’s goldmine. Particularly when it is obvious the police have no leads, suspects or can even work out a motive.

Oonagh gets suspicious when “friends” of the deceased seem keen to distance themselves from him. She follows her instincts knowing there is a story to uncover. Her boss is not keen to give her time to chase a story which he doesn’t believe is there to be found so Oonagh is forced to play politics in the office to cut herself the leeway she needs to uncover the truth.

There are very sensitive subjects incorporated into The Quiet Ones and the author handles these superbly. In the acknowledgements Ms Talbot thanks David Gordon who “shared his story with such quiet dignity” that reflects perfectly how the more upsetting elements of The Quiet Ones are addressed within the book. It is a deeply emotive and moving read.

Despite being the third book in the series The Quiet Ones can easily be read as a stand alone thriller. It is highly recommended and once you have finished it I am sure you will seek out the first two as well. Top stuff.
Things don't seem to add up following the suicide of well respected coach, Harru Nugent. Oonagh O'Neill is an investigative journalist. Harry's death is upgraded to murder. Oonagh soon finds out some sordid secrets to investigate.

This is the third book in this series and the first book that I have read by the author. Set I Glasgow, the story has a steady pace 2ith short chapters. There is references back to the first two books but it can still be read as a standalone. The plotline is dark and harrowing ut it's been quite a recurrent storyline on our news over the last few years. The book is based on a true story and some parts of the story made my heart break. Each revelation was worse than the previous one. The story is told from Oonagh's point of view.  Oonagh is determined to get justice for the victims. Not an easy book to read but I still enjoyed it.

I would like to thank Netgalley,  Aria and the author Theresa Talbot for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I really liked this book but stopped reading at 72% because of unnecessary bashing of the American President.  No need for that
I didn't realise when I requested this book that it's actually the third in a series, it worked perfectly as a standalone though so no problems there, although I would like to go back and read the previous two as I enjoyed this one so much.

This book begins with the apparent suicide of a famous football coach but it's not long after his death that rumours begin to spread that maybe he isn't the man he originally appeared to be. The issues discussed in this book are very topical and hard to read at times but I think Talbot did a fantastic job in writing this one in a sensitive way.

I did find this one a bit slow to start but once I got into it, I found it impossible to put back down. I was consistently questioning what happened and who done it but I didn't manage to guess, so the ending came as a shock for me.

This was such an impressive read from a new-to-me author and I can't wait to go back and explore more of this authors work as if it's all to this standard then I know I will love it.
I would like to thank NetGalley and the author for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Yes, I admit it, it took me quite a while to read this book. Over a month. Because one, I found it slow and second in the meantime I read other books.

In this book a well-known football coach is found by his wife Sarah, hanged from the balustrade of his house. After investigating the fact, detectives find that it is not all as it seems and disturbing facts about the past of the coach come to the surface.

Oonagh is the journalist who follows the case even if not officially, but stubbornly she will manage to find the whole truth.

I liked the book in general, because the case is interesting even if not that much. The book has a delicate topic so it isn't for everyone but nothing graphic is shown.

Oonagh once says: "'A bit like Mussolini and the trains?’ she’d replied, but the reference had been lost on Sarah." about the accounting books of Sarah's husband. The reference is lost to me, too... And I'm Italian. I should know what the hell she was talking about... but I don't. And I don't like when foreign authors use other culture references and not even the people of that culture know what's going on.

I don't like the protagonist, she drinks too much and I don't know... I don't feel involved in her character. But, and maybe it's my fault (and the author and the publisher since they didn't mention this), this is the third book in the series so I don't know what happened before. If I knew, I wouldn't have read it because I don't like reading books in a series not in chronological order.

Anyway, I didn't feel much with this book, I didn't wish to finish it or even read it (in fact I read other books while I was reading this). It isn't a bad book, it's just not for me.

There is another thing that I couldn't understand and it was the use of "was" after "if". I was taught that the correct version of the subjunctive tense is "if it were" and not "if it was". Here, I found "if it was" so many times! And I know that it is accepted now as I read in internet but, to me, it sound so wrong.
This book centers around a very tough topic involving young kids. While there are no graphic details, it was still hard to read, so fair warning if you pick this up.

The plot felt a bit disjointed, there seemed to be some sort of relationship between Investigative journalist Oonagh and an upper level Police Office Alec that's never clearly defined but the "hits" or suggestions seem to come out of no where and aren't really developed. Part of the overview hinted that Oonagh's investigation into the death of a famous Scottish football coach, places her in mortal danger but I never felt that. Overall this book fell short of me, the topic was hard to read, the characters felt underdeveloped and the plot disjointed.
Great story and plot.  Thrilling characters that you get attached to and look forward to more by this author!!
Another book featuring the investigative journalist Oonagh O' Neil. A Scottish football coach is found hanging in his home, it looks like suicide but is it?. As the body is being removed it is discovered that his tongue has been removed and rammed down his throat. The police belief that it is a gangland killing but there are rumours it maybe something else a lot darker. Oonagh starts delving and even she is shocked by what she uncovers. The subject matter of this book is shocking and distasteful and all too common today. The author has taken this subject and treated it with compassion and respect. The more I read the more I was shocked. The lengths and depravity some people are willing to go was abhorrent. This was a difficult read in places but I am glad I stuck with it. Not an easy but compelling read. An easy five stars and so Highly Recommended.
I would like to thank the author, Aria and Netgalley for the ARC in return for giving an honest review.
The Quiet Ones is the first book that I have read by Theresa Talbot and it starts off with a definite bang.  However it then felt like it just faded away with a large part of the book just meandering.

Overall it was an average read
Starts off fast and furious, and keeps a great pace through the book. I love the short chapters, the characters are well-written, and the story is timely. A great read!
I've been waiting for the return of investigative journalist, Oonagh O'Neil with bated breath and Theresa Talbot did not disappoint me with this latest outing!
Theresa Talbot is fast proving herself to be a writer with a strong social conscience who is not afraid to tackle some serious, emotive and topical issues.
A killer hook opening drew me in and kept me glued to the pages all the way to the very end. The apparent suicide of well-known football coach, Harry Nugent, becomes headline news but it is not long before Oonagh realises that there is much more to this story than meets the eye. Her feelings are confirmed when her long-standing friend, Detective Alec Davies confirms that it was not suicide, but murder.
What follows is a horrifying, but sadly familiar, tale. Abuse of the vulnerable, conspiracies and cover-ups and protection of the rich and the powerful. Sprinkled with a hefty dose of twists and turns, The Quiet Ones, had me crying with rage and sorrow. It also completely engaged me. Well crafted it had me guessing all the way to the very end.
In Oonagh O'Neil, Theresa Talbot has created a believable and likable character, who has wormed her way under my skin. She's not afraid to stand up for what she believes is right. She is tenacious in her approach and will leave no stone unturned in her quest to get justice. Her own turbulent background, along with the niggling worry that she is being sidelined at work in favour of the new bright young things generation paints realistic picture of what life is like for women in the media.  But  she won't lie down to it and it was brilliant to watch her fight her own corner at the same time as fighting the corner of others. I particularly enjoyed her relationship with trainee journalist, Sophie.  Oonagh is certainly the champion of the underdog and it's not hard to see why she turns to a wee drink every now and then!
Set in Glasgow,  the author has created a very real sense of place, often placing me right in the heart of the story, her mention of The Curlers Rest on Byres Road made me smile- my first real date was there!  It's not all dark, some of those brilliant Glasgow one-liners make their way into the book and some of Oonagh’s memories gave me a giggle.
The Quiet Ones is interspersed with chapters from the point of view of Tommy Gallagher, relating his memories of Harry Nugent. These memories made for uncomfortable reading when you realise just why Harry Nugent was targeted. However, despite the subject matter, there is nothing gratuitous or graphic about the scenes and Theresa Talbot writes them with sensitivity There’s a real sense of authenticity running throughout this book and with subtle similarities to recent high profile cases, it’s a hard-hitting and thought-provoking read laced with police procedural and investigative journalism.
The Quiet Ones made me angry and it made me cry. It had me screaming for justice for the quiet ones. Once again you nailed it and I cannot wait to see where Oonagh takes us next!
My review will be on my blog as part of the blog tour
This is book 3 in the Oonagh O'Neill series although it's the first I've read from this author.  There was a couple of references to earlier stuff but it didn't detract from this book at all.

The plot line was dark and harrowing although it's all too familiar these days. I wanted to cry and felt sick reading some of it.

I loved the characters and the story flowed quickly with short chapters that kept you on tenderhooks.

I really enjoyed this book and I'll make a point of reading the first two.