Cover Image: Be the Bridge

Be the Bridge

I spent a few weeks reading this and taking my time working through the chapters and the reflection questions at the end of each. This book brought up a LOT of feelings for me, and LaTasha's voice was a great guide as I worked through my place in this journey.
I went into this book with high hopes, because I do believe the Church should be strong influencers in getting rid of racism. I hoped to find insight and practical ways to accomplish this. I'm afraid that's not what I found.

Morrison seems to find things to be upset about in every conversation. Apparently she hasn't done as much listening as she encourages her white counterparts to do, otherwise she would realize that she is badly misreading some conversations. She attributes some questions, for example, as attempts to pigeonhole or marginalize her--when they are the exact same questions we regularly ask other white folks. It's normal casual conversation, not some attempt to set aside the black person.

She wants me to understand why she wants to name schools after people who were abused. No, I don't, but that has nothing to do with racism. I think schools should be named for people who accomplished great things. They should inspire young people, not cause them to wallow in anger from past hurts. I have the same frustration with the kind of meetings she thinks our churches should have. They aren't designed for healing, they're designed for maintaining (and even stoking) anger.

Finally, she claims this is for all minorities, but I was shocked at the way she seemed to marginalize other minorities, especially indigenous people. I found the book very disappointing, and didn't finish it.
I liked the idea of this book more than the book itself. It’s necessary — building a bridge for racial reconciliation — I just felt like this book left me wanting more. I appreciate the author’s personal stories and practical advice (from a Christian perspective), but I think there are  better books out there on this topic.
A great read for all Christians. The author gives a lot of history of racism in the United States and includes reflection questions and prayers for readers.
I loved this book! Last year, I joined the BTB facebook group (mostly as a lurker, there to learn and haven't posted anything) and have learned so much from current bridge builders. I finally got around to reading LaTasha Morrison's book, and it was totally worth it. I appreciated Morrison's straightforward and honest approach and her inclusion of personal stories to explain concepts. I also loved that there were questions for reflection at the end of each chapter and written prayers for the readers. I would love to reread this with a group of people, because I think it would spark some great discussions.
Thank you, Latasha, for taking the time, energy, and effort to share with the world your experiences and history! I found this book interesting, challenging, and motivating.
No matter what your ethnic background Latasha Morrison has written a book that opens the discussion on hard topics related to race, and the role of Christians in bringing true reconciliation.

Citing personal experience, historical data, and scripture she paints a picture of the difficult path walked by people of color, and how the Christian community can be part of the healing process rather than hiding behind church walls.

Be the Bridge is an eye-opening book that is a must read for anyone wanting to see the complete unity of the church, “After this I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language . . . “
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭7:9‬a NIV‬‬

I received a copy of this book courtesy of WaterBrook a Random House imprint through NetGalley. This is my honest review.
I cannot say thank you enough to NetGalley & Waterbrook Press Paperback for an ARC copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This by far was one of the best books I’ve read on race reconciliation. It is the truth spoken in love.  Morrison’s word are covered with humility in grace all while refusing to water down the truth.   Morrison acknowledges wrongs from both sides and allows discussion to process what we’ve been taught and what we can now learn.

She uses scripture to point people to the way of love and restorative justice.   As someone who works in the field of restorative justice I was also convicted while reading.

I  was encouraged that  the format of the book discusses lament, confession/forgiveness and then restorative reconciliation.  This is a book that causes the reader to not only take ownership but also do something about what they’ve learned.

This book is needed now more than ever and I will be recommending it to many.  Thank you LaTasha Morrison for your bravery and being an example of what the Church truly could and should be, bridge building peacemakers.
Be The Bridge is such a timely, necessary read even so long after its publication and one that I believe needs to land in the hands of every believer. This book is not a quick read but one filled with impactful words and thoughts that leave the reader reflecting and contemplating throughout, especially with its engaging content by way of reflection questions and prayers. I so appreciated Latasha’s personal experiences that she shared in these pages and the amount of research that clearly went into this book which really makes it a reliable and helpful tool to those looking to “be the bridge” when it comes to Christ-like racial reconciliation. Honest and difficult to chew on at times, yet hopeful and encouraging that change can happen, this book gets all the stars from me.

Thank you so much to WaterBrook & Multnomah and NetGalley for the gifted e-copy.
I have read Be the Bridge over a span of two months.  Not because it's poorly written or not interesting,  but because I had to absorb and think on much of what I read.  I think Morrison has addressed racial reconciliation with Christ-like honesty and passion and even with a degree of tact I'm not sure I, myself, could attain.  The key to this book is to keep going.  You need to read the whole thing to understand the steps and processes to restoration.  Each chapter is filled with honesty, hope, and common sense direction.  With questions for self-reflection, prayers, and even liturgical passages, I thought it was an educational,  encouraging (even when difficult to read- a lot of "ouch" moments) and an incredible tool for anyone wanting to be a bridge. It is well researched and well written with access to a number of additional data sources if that matters to you.

My thanks for the complimentary copy for review.  My regret is in not reading it sooner.  My goal is to read it again.

Note, I don't feel it's my place to offer a star rating but I'm unable to submit my review without it.
This is the most accessible and challenging Christian book I’ve read about racism. I loved the emphasis on lament and confession. LaTasha tells her personal story of ministry in mostly-white churches and integrates that with liturgies and spiritual practices. I also recommend her organization Be the Bridge for the incredible work they do on racial reconciliation.
Latasha Morrison has taken on the work of writing a book that gives you insight and also resources regarding race and the church. She writes of her own experiences and from a Christian worldview. Being a bridge builder is vital in our tense climate surrounding racial injustice and she gives you the tools to start your journey. It is a book that needs to be pondered and absorbed, not a quick read and then put on the shelf.
It feels like Be the Bridge by Latasha Morrison has been everywhere in recent months--and for good reason. This book takes a hopeful (and practical) approach that shows how we can approach the difficult topic of racial injustice, especially in the midst of today's cultural climate.
I learned of the online Be the Bridge group in 2016 after hearing Tasha Morrison speak at an IF: Gathering. There was a lot of polarization then, none of which seems to have eased any in the intervening years (and there's certainly cases to be made that tensions have exacerbated this divide). I joined the online community because I was seeking to learn more about how to bridge the divisiveness around race in the church and the world at large. One key component of the group is that all new members are to be silent for the first three months, engaging and learning by reading and by completing tutorials.

My knowledge has grown markedly, and I've been shaped by witnessing moments of lament in that arena. Through that experience, LaTasha Morrison has written this book, Be the Bridge, to be a resource for others wanting to grow.

Her Christian faith was very much the impetus for undergoing this journey, which will make this text a welcome one in churches as they reflect on ways they can encourage believers to come together and speak on sensitive topics.

The book is arranged into three sections (Lament, Confession and Forgiveness, Restorative Reconciliation), each of which contains a liturgy. Every chapter ends with a series of discussion questions, all the more reason to encourage use of it in a group setting. Morrison uses history and faith to both reveal reality and also show a path of reconciliation.

Morrison models how to navigate this process humbly and faithfully, using frequent examples from her life and the lives of those around her as they themselves learned to have frank, honest conversations. This volume is a relevant addition to the conversations happening nationwide as we reckon with injustice and racism as well as reimagine a better future.

(I received a digital ARC from WaterBrook & Multnomah via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.)
This is one of the most important books I have read in recent years. Morrison discusses racism in the Christian church, both overt and hidden, and proposes ways for people of all races to come together to be a true reflection of The Church as God intended it to be.
We have been in a crazy season where we’ve been confronted with hard conversations. This book challenged my perspectives while reminding me of Jesus’ heart. It allowed me to have some really incredible but hard conversations with several close friends and brought a lot of healing.

Well written and necessary book for anyone.
Such a well-written, much-needed  book.  It’s given me much to think about, and I thank the author for sharing her thoughts and experiences with us.  I need to read through it again, so that I clearly and completely absorb the tremendous message to all of us in these pages.  After I read through it again, I may come back to update this review.  I will also be publishing a blog post at that time.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
We often say, "We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it." We've come to it. Not only to cross it, but to BE it. This book is a great place to understand how to do that.

LaTasha Morrison lays out steps for us to get to the other side:

* The bridge to lament
* The bridge to confession and forgiveness
* The bridge to restorative reconciliation (includes repentance, making amends, and reproducing)

LaTasha speaks from her Christian worldview. She talks about Jesus and the Bible and love. It’s talk we know. It’s actions we need to take.

Her personal experiences are sprinkled throughout the book. This is a powerful book, a necessary book.

Here are some excerpts.

"We can come to know the true facts, come to recognize our brokenness, yet not do anything about it. Awareness of the truth is useless without acknowledgment of our complicity or its effects on us."

~ * ~

"The Black table. If there’s one thing non-White students know, it’s that the school cafeteria is the second-most-segregated place in our country, behind only church."

~ * ~

"Imagine the pain this causes Black Americans when we’re invited to plantation weddings, the very place where our people were so thoroughly dehumanized."

~ * ~

"In the love of the family of God, we must become color brave, color caring, color honoring, and not color blind. We have to recognize the image of God in one another."

~ * ~

"But you can identify racial wrongs in the world around you and take one step toward making them right. That’s the work of reparation. That’s the work of the gospel."

~ * ~

"If this book serves to highlight just one truth, I hope it’s that real beauty can come from the ashes of our country’s history with racism."

My thanks to Net Galley, WaterBrook & Multnomah for the review copy of this book.
There are not enough books based on race that comes from a Christian perspective. While there was some good content and history, it’s missing looking through race through the lens of the gospel, and while I appreciate others experiences, we can’t forget Jesus.
Like many of us in recent months, Sarah has found herself forced to confront her own privilege and her complicity in the current state of our union. In order to understand how to be anti-racist, instead of simply not being racist, many of us are reaching to favorite authors and speakers for guidance. For Sarah that comes this month in the form of Latasha Morrison.

Be the Bridge is told from the perspective of Latasha’s own journey with race and colorism, alongside her spiritual journey. She does not mince words when it comes to historical moments that most people have not heard of. She does not mince words when it comes to the directions we need to move in to reconcile our society. The book is not political, the only side it takes is that of addressing the hostile climate we find ourselves in.

Latasha provides examples of racial dialogue, how to have hard conversations, and how to listen within those conversations. Latasha is committed to educating people, all people, on cultural intelligence and racial literacy. Her book is a great place to start if you aren’t sure what to do with everything that is going on around you.