Cover Image: Perfectly Hidden Depression

Perfectly Hidden Depression

In today's world of openly discussing mental health, it is still stigmatized.  I found this book to be reaffirming of the myriad ways that I think, feel, and talk about depression with my friends or family.  The author breaks down some classic stereotypes about what it is like to struggle with depression, as well as providing real life examples of how different situations can be treated in different ways to support an individual who is suffering.  Overall, I found this book to be a motivational, inspiring, and relatively quick read that also encouraged me to shift my personal perspectives about how to handle depression in my own life.
I thought this was a good guide to understanding depression and how it manifests itself in ways that we aren't always aware to look out for.
Such a great book for our current culture where many people feel they have to be other than who they are, wearing masks, to feel accepted. As a result they are slowly dying on the inside afraid to ask for help. Well, here's to encourage all of us to be our authentic selves even in our suffering.
Thank you to #NetGalley for sending me an electronic review copy of #PerfectlyHiddenDepression

This is one of the best mental health books I've ever read - engaging writing that flows well, relatable, scientifically accurate and well-cited, explanations composed in a way that's useful for those with a professional background and also for those without.

The content is very practical so this book would also make a useful reference to refer back to for challenges that come up in life, or to guide psychotherapy.

I recommend this book to pretty much everybody: mental health practitioners, students/interns in mental health, medical professionals, educators, parents, etc. Of course it's a great read for those diagnosed with depression/anxiety/bipolar/ocd, but it's also helpful for those with any other diagnosis, symptoms but no diagnosis, and people who know somebody with mental health difficulties.
Thank you to NetGalley for my e-copy of this book.

I work as a licensed therapist and specialize in anxiety, depression, and perfectionism. This book was hugely helpful to my job as a therapist and it has become an auto-recommendation to my clients. This book makes the link between depression and perfectionism and offers practical steps and guidance for healing. I highly recommend.
Books, especially "self-help" type books don't generally make me cry. However, I found myself tearing up often while reading this book.. Majority of it smacked of truth in my life especially growing up in a household were doing was given more credence than being. If you're curious about the root to your perfectionism and what to do about it, I highly recommend this book.
The author was able to capture the feelings so many of us have.  Perfectionism and depression are interchangeable for many of us and the author laid out methods to break this cycle.  I found the advice on conquering the inner critical voice to be extremely helpful.   I highly recommend this to anyone struggling with depression that has feelings of being imperfect.
I could really relate to the beginning of this book. It was like she was speaking directly about me. Towards the middle of the book, it slows down a lot and becomes more like a therapy session. I can see where this could help many people if they want to be helped. For me, it was an interesting look at a topic I wasn't aware of before.
This is a well written and researched book on the perfectionism that masks depression. It has conversational language and the style of a good therapist. This book should be read by everyone because you are either hiding your depression from those around you or you know someone who is. This book can help pick up on the signs of masked depression and get the person that needs it the help that they need.

It is very easy to follow and I highly recommend it.
This was a good starter guide that is aimed at people who aren’t aware that they actually have depression.

It includes criteria for diagnosis, support exercises & advice on how to tell the people in your life.

I thought it was interesting read though there was often a focus on people who have faced trauma or significant adversity rather than including people who have had no prior issues but are now having to fake being okay for fear of being seen as an attention seeker.

Overall 3.5 stars
This book was speaking to me directly. I had no idea I was battling with OCD which was contributing to my depression. This book will help you process what is happening in your life. For instance, I get depressed whenever I take classes. It helped me pin point that I was so busy trying to perfect all of my assignments to the point where I got nothing done. That alone was depressing in and of itself. This book help me discover my actions and how to work on improving these habits in order to light my stress levels. It’s working so far. So, this book is a must and I will add it to my arsenal of books.
(Also posted on my GR account!)

Perfectly Hidden Depression is perfect for those who doesn't know that they're depressed or can't/won't admit that they're one. I like that it contained step by step to identify and to tackle it without being too condescending. It gave more than 50 questions to ask ourselves, mostly on our beliefs. It'd be nice to do the questions/exercises with group. Overall, it was a good book, but a bit boring to me.
Despite the fact I am Cptsd and live with depression and anxiety, I am not the target market for this book.  I gleaned a very few tips, but unfortunately found the tone jarring and at odds with what the message of the book could be.
Self-help books are either bad, ok or life-changing.  This one is "ok".
I think a lot of it was to be- it felt like the author was harsh at points, and quite honestly, reminded me of the worst psych teams I worked with, so I could be simply reacting to that.
Blunt and honest is of course important with mental health, but I feel like the tone might have been softer to make the exercises more approachable.
Perfectly Hidden depression is a well written book, with amazing exercises that I would encourage for many if not most people that are really motivated to work on their depression.  However, I found Margaret Rutherford's tone a bit harsh at times and it rather than the difficult exercises made me want to stop.  Rutherford also, in my opinion, takes liberties about naming perfectly hidden depression without any true examples about how this hidden depression is not, in fact, diagnostically relevant depression.  This book does know it's own boundaries and Rutherford does a good job of encouraging the reader to get IRL support when necessary.  I believe that the exercises in this book may be very helpful for anyone wanting to make changes in their depression, if they can manage the book.
This book delves into what author Margaret Rutherford she "perfectly hidden depression", a syndrome that doesn't fit the official diagnostic criteria for depression, and so has flown under the radar, as have the people struggling with it. While some of the symptoms that charactize this condition came be helpful in moderation, those who struggle with PHD are so convinced they must present a "perfect" front to the world, that they don't acknowledge that they're struggling, often even to themselves.
While I don't have this myself, I could relate to a lot of the perfectionism the author writes of, and the journaling prompts and exercises would help anyone who struggles with perfectionism. I love how she frequently says things like, "This isn't something else you have to do perfectly." Rutherford is a reassuring guide on the journey to acceptance.
Perfectly Hidden Depresson takes readers who need guidance when trying to understand and figure out the process of understanding what they are going though.  The book is broken up into sections and readers will be given home work to work though at the end of each section.
There are reference pages and guides to help readers find and connect with someone to better help them deal or process the depression.
Thank you to Netgalley for a advance copy of Margaret Rutherford Perfectly hidden Depression.
This was a solid and informative book. I especially enjoyed that author highlighted important parts of the book with real life examples and cases.
Lots of useful information. Well written, compassionate, concise, constructive. Usually self help books are too long and become boring, but this one isn't. I see myself in some of it, my daughter in most of it. I will keep this book handy as a reference. Thank you to netgalley for offering this book for review.
This is a powerful book. I recognized traits and behaviors in myself and others that I never would have attributed to depression before, yet it makes perfect sense. I hope this work will not only bring relief to those struggling with depression, but also bring more understanding to mental health as a whole. There is an unfair stigma around depression that prevents many from getting the help they need, and that needs to change. Margaret Rutherford does an excellent job of explaining issues in layperson terms and without judgment. If you have ever known a perfectionist or been one yourself, you need to read this book.

Thanks to the publishers and NetGalley for the digital ARC.
This book provides practical advice, thoughtful reflection questions, and hope for anyone who struggles with perfectionism and depression. As a person who has experienced both, I can honestly say that this book would have been a great help to me during the beginning of my recovery. Rutherford kindly guides the reader through every step from acceptance to change. I love how Rutherford does not "dumb down" her language yet makes this mental health self-help book approachable and engaging. I also think this book is special because this book is truly an experience and a guide for navigating the first steps of releasing one's inner feelings in order to recover. I highly recommend this book for anyone who is struggling with perfectionism and depression.

I do want to say, however, that those who are already on the road of recover may not find a ton of new information in this book. There are numerous sections of true stories though that provide hope and inspiration.