Cover Image: Someone We Know

Someone We Know

Thank you NetGalley and Random House for stopping me sleeping. and apologies for the delay in reviewing - work is getting in the way of my reading!

This was creepy, through provoking and a little disturbing.  I got a little bored part way through but then it picked up again.  This is the first Shari Lapena book I have read and it won't be the last
This was a creepy triller, set in suburbia in a friendly neighbourhood ( I pictured Wisteria Ave from Desperate Housewives ) a murder happens, first page so no spoilers there. As time passes more layers are unwrapped and more secrets are exposed. Very clever, kept me guessing a really enjoyable read.
This book started off so promising and  I was sure it was going to be a cracker. The different neighbours and how they were interwoven was looking very juicy! But unfortunately towards the middle of the book it started to go downhill and I was left disappointed with the damp pop at the end. Sorry!
This is a chilling new take on the domestic noir. When someone leaves anonymous notes informing neighbours that their sectrets may have been exposed, bad things start to happen. This was a thrilling expose of just what sort of secrets your neighbours could be keeping and sent tingles down my spine. The plotting was so tight and the characterisation so well drawn that I was rapt from start to finish.
I've read three of Shari Lapena's four thrillers and this is by far the best of the bunch.

It's the least ridiculous of her plots (and I mean that in the nicest possible way) and the characters feel much more realistic as a result. The story unfolds at a good pace and there's enough suspense to keep you completely hooked.

If you're someone who reads a lot of thrillers, you'll probably figure out the resolution and reveal pretty early on but I still think this one is worth picking up. It's a story that actually doesn't rely on the shocks and feels coherent, even after the reveal. Not something that can be said about all thrillers. Good writing

Thanks to RandomHouse UK and NetGalley for providing me with a copy for review.
This book had me hooked.
I loved how the chapters were nice and short so it felt like I was progressing through the book really quickly.

I did not see the twist at the end coming!
Everyone has secrets

Someone we Know is the latest book from Shari Lapena a very smart modern Whodunnit.
When one of your neighbours goes missing and later found dead everyone in the neighbourhood comes under suspicion and just how many secrets do your neighbours keep behind closed doors?
This book does not disappoint as Lapena is a very skillful writer and weaves the plot expertly keeping you guessing as we find most of the cast all have secrets and lies that they want to keep locked up.
What we have here is a gripping page turner as Lapena leads us down many roads with a few red herrings thrown in here and there to keep us guessing just who the murderer is.

This is a super quick read with great punchy chapters and one for the beach or by the pool, I have read 3 of her novels now and all of them have been great reads.
As with all Lapena books this has a top ending that could leave the door open for a squeal or for our own imaginations to run wild with the next story.

Well worth your time and hard-earned cash a great read.
Shari Lapena has done better than this book. While it still managed to entice me with a fast pace, sinister characters and lots of plot twists, I found the flicking between characters to be overwhelming. Dipping into each of their mindsets meant that I couldn't connect with any of them and therefore didn't feel the impact of the story. I thought one of the deaths at the end was unnecessary and far-fetched and I did manage to predict the ending quite easily. A shame!
Murder most foul! But whodunnit?

In Shari Lapena’s Someone We Know, it could very well be anybody. In a leafy New York suburb, somebody has been breaking into people’s houses and finding out secrets. Who is it? Nobody knows, but when one or two neighbours start receiving anonymous letters, the tension starts to mount. And then the first body is found…

There’s nothing creepier than suburbia, especially when you know that the nice-as-pie façades are just covering up some very ugly truths. We flick between the points of view of different people in the neighbourhood, but our way in is mostly through the eyes of Olivia, just your average suburban housewife (or is she?). As ever, Shari Lapena shows us why she’s the queen of thrillers- the tension keeps building, the secrets keep coming, yet when the police finally track down the killer it comes as a shock.

Dark and delicious, this book makes you feel as though you’re one of the neighbours yourself: gossiping, accusing and ultimately in for a nasty surprise…
What a fantastic read this was. It’s full of twists and turns and an unexpected twist at the end that you would never have expected. Amazing story, intriguing characters and the setting was great. I’ve read all this authors books and will continue to keep my eye out for more when released. One of my favourite authors. I would recommend this book to everyone that enjoys this genre.
Thank you netgalley for the opportunity to read this.
With thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the Arc, which I have enjoyed reading.
I have read other books by Shari Lapena which I have also enjoyed reading but this one was totally engrossing and intriguing. It was a glorious read of who did it and there were a whole cast of husbands who could of killed the victim. It was an easy read to get lost in for a few hours and then pick up again.
Highly recommended.
A well written story showing that you never really know your neighbours. . This book keeps you guessing right to the end. I enjoyed it
Everybody needs good neighbours....right, well I wouldn't say that any one of these neighbours will be winning a good neighbour award..EVER. Actually I would rather live next door to Norman Bates than any of this lot.

Suspicion and mistrust swiftly spreads throughout a quiet,leafy suburb of uptown New York after the body of Amanda,one of the neighbours is found in the boot of her car. Anonymous letters informing some residents that someone's son has broken into their homes plus the police constantly breathing down their necks pushes the neighbours to breaking point. Who killed Amanda? Who knows more than they are saying? And how far will these nice people go to protect their secrets?

There was more indiscretions,lying for self preservation and to protect others in this thriller than you would find in a whole weeks worth of Eastenders. The chapters were voiced by various characters and I didn't think any one of them or any of the other characters was very likeable although as a parent myself,I did understand why the mother who wrote the anonymous notes was doing all she could to protect her son. I'm not saying what she did was right,but who knows how they would react if they found themselves in similar circumstances. When each character was taken in for questioning by the police more secrets and lies were revealed and another twist would be thrown into the mix giving the reader a very bad case of Just one more chapter syndrome.

This is a gripping,multi layered who-done-it that had me hooked in from the first page. There was quite a number of suspects for Amanda's murder and the twisty,turny story definitely kept the reader guessing and frantically turning the pages. The ending was quite chilling and sinister and left an opening for a possible sequel or maybe just left us readers figuring out our own ending. I love Shari Lapena's books and Someone We Know was no exception. Very highly recommended
This book was so well written. I couldn't put it down. How well do you know your partner and neighbours. I certainly wasn't disappointed with this book. Suspense, Secrets, Makes you think about your own neighbourhood. Highly recommend.
I have never read a book by Shari Lapena before but I always hear positive things so I had to request this one.
The synopsis happens within the first few pages and from then on you follow the cast of characters as they try to unravel the mystery of who murdered their neighbour.  Now, I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of multiple POV's. I didn't like it here either. I personally found it difficult to keep track of who was who and this novel is non stop secrets being revealed and it was a lot of me. Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed this. For me, it wasn't perfect but a few revelations left me shocked and not knowing what would happen next.
One issue I did have with the novel is there was a big deal made about information on a burner phone that would be devastating if told and we never ever got a hint about what is was as far as I could tell. While I understand it as a plot device to have some mystery and leave you reeling after, I'm more of an Agatha Christie murder mystery type, I like it all wrapped up in a bow at the end.
Although I don't love multiple POV's I did feel like some of the individual characters were distinctive enough for me to tell them apart once I'd got into the swing of things. Without giving too much away I would have liked more from the murderer's viewpoint. For me it came completely out of left field . I understand it was intended to throw readers off the scent but it was too random and I couldn't find it believable.
Overall I was pleased with my first Shari Lapena  and will happily read more from her. I enjoyed her style of writing and found this quick and easy to read.
3.5/5 Stars
This is a fantastic thriller - you will not guess the ending. So many twists and turns and intertwining storylines, brilliant.
I always enjoy Shari Lapena’s books and this one was one of her best,  I was completely hooked from the first page and couldn’t put it down.  The book opens with an horrific murder of a woman who is killed with multiple blows from a hammer.  Robert turns up at a police station to report his wife missing after supposedly going away for the weekend with a friend.  One of Robert’s neighbours discovers that her son has been breaking into neighbours houses and hacking into their computers and one of the houses he broke into was Robert’s.  When Robert’s wife’s body is found in the boot of her car at the bottom of a lake, a murder investigation begins. All the neighbours seem to be keeping secrets and there are so many suspects, especially Robert.  As the story unfolds they are all suspicious of each other and we do not know who to trust.  This is a tense, fast paced psychological thriller, with plenty of twists and turns with a surprise ending.  A highly recommended read.
Thanks to NetGalley and Transworld for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
After reading and loving An Unwanted Guest I was eager to read another book by Shari Lapena so what did I think of Someone We Know…

In this book there really is a little bit of everything from troubled teenagers to relationships on the edge. All set in a suburban environment that on the surface looks polished and unblemished but look below and just like most things there is a pretty different reality. I love how Shari Lapena creates an interesting mystery in her books and Someone We Know is no different it is one that will make you ask question after question but also providing a tense undercurrent that made me fly through the book as quick as I can. If you enjoy playing detective when reading a book then this is an ideal story to pick up.

There are a few threads within the story that all combined to create a very twisty sort of experience. A teenager breaking into houses, a murder and multiple suspects all in a quiet ordinary suburb. Secrets and lies are slowly uncovered which also adds more intrigue especially as the characters begin to show their true colours. The reveal over the killer didn’t necessarily come as a shock to me but I still enjoyed the build up, how the characters interacted and the tension that grew with every revelation. The pacing was pretty perfect and is definitely a just one more chapter kind of book where suddenly you realise you are so far into the book it would be a shame to put it down. Someone We Know also had a thought provoking edge too, or it certainly left me thinking about the ending.

Someone We Know has a healthy dose of drama, mystery and tension.
I wasn't sure about the style of this book when I first started reading it, but the story just swept me up and I genuinely couldn't put it down. It tells the story of a suburban neighbourhood where everyone knows each other and everyone has a secret. When one of the wives is found murdered, the community starts to question how much they truly know each other. There is a pretty big cast of characters here and we spend a little bit of time with everyone, which took me a while to get used to, but once I did, it was such a clever way to unfurl the story. The prose is concise and the dialogue feels authentic, although the narrative hinges on an action that was completely baffling to me. There was a real Desperate Housewives or Big Little Lies vibe to this story, which I really enjoyed and it was most definitely a page turner - I absolutely flew through it! I did see the ending coming, but I don't think that is a bad thing - Lapena just did a good job crafting her narrative to leave enough clues along the way. Will I remember this plot in a few months? Probably not, but I really enjoyed the experience of reading it now.
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I really enjoyed this book and it will appeal fans of thrillers.
This book keeps you guessing until the very end.
It’s very well written and definitely worth a read