Cover Image: May Cause Drowsiness and Blurred Vision

May Cause Drowsiness and Blurred Vision

With all due respect to the author and her journey, this was one unreadable ham of a book, even though she can write well.

Thanks to the publisher for the ARC. But this was - what the hell was this?
To know and to understand this story, you must first have an sense of mental health, of mindfulness and connectivity.
I'm Australian so going into this I had absolutely no idea who this Gloria Squitiro and her family were/are. I picked this book because I'm a mental health student and Gloria's story called to me.
Faced with adversity set about by both internal and external issues, Gloria seemed determined and kicked ass for that holiday. I'm grateful for her blasé attitude putting this together and I thank her for the opportunity to understand clients a little better.  So much ground was covered here, but I honestly feel if I take anything from this book, its that being connected is worth it.
Let's start by saying that I had absolutely no idea that this book was a memoir. Reading about Gloria's journey through Europe had me dying on the floor laughing at some parts, and in tears at others. At one point in the book, I had to put it down just to digest it all.

I don't know who Gloria Squitiro is, but after reading her memoir I now look up to her because she reminds me so much of myself. Her commentary on life is absolutely hilarious and she reminds us all that no matter how crazy we are we should strive to accept ourselves, craziness and all.

So, what exactly is this memoir about? All and all, it is about one woman's (quite literal) journey from Being into Becoming. Gloria starts in the States as a woman somewhat unsure of unsureness (uncertainty is a killer). She convinces her husband, Funk, to take the family on a whirlwind trip through Europe where she learns to accept and even enjoy the uncertainty of traveling (a beautiful metaphor for life). This was a book I just couldn't put down because I, myself, recently found out that I was a highly sensitive person and Gloria represented all of the trappings of an HSP, all beautifully packaged with strength.

There are some story threads in the memoir that are forgotten about and forged over halfway through the book. The author tries to tie these frayed bits together quickly toward the end (this was when I realized that this would turn into a series of memoirs). Besides that, my only other gripe would be that this memoir didn't really feel like it had an ending (but see my earlier note).

Laugh out loud funny, well written and poetic, May Cause Drowsiness and Blurred Vision, brought me into the world of memoirs and I thank Gloria for that.
I have to start out by saying saying thank you so very much to NetGalley and Gloria Squitiro Publishing for the opportunity to read this book, changed my life it did! Here are my thoughts ....

Wonderful! When I wasn't laughing, I was crying and all the while I was nodding my head in agreement. May Cause Drowsiness and Blurred Vision by Gloria Squitiro (great title and cover by the way) is written in a conversational manner reminiscent of the Adventures of a Confused Childhood Series by Alex Cotton and it really lets her voice shine. What a voice it is!  While reading this terrific book I felt I was sitting with  a longtime treasured friend or family member chatting over a glass, or glasses, of wine. Gloria, as de facto relatives we are on a first name basis, inspires me - how brave to try new things and places! I have similar worries and make similar comments to myself especially when I feel anxious (like all the time) and to see someone try to fulfill her dreams, let alone succeed ... well, she is courageous! It makes me feel I have a chance of doing the same one day. I hope she realizes how important her book is to the rest of us.

Reading about her Italian family definitely rang some bells, are the Squitiro's, et al from Naples by any chance? Cause they sound very familar. I know these people even if I don't if you know what I mean.

The travel stories really made me laugh - they are "pee your pants funny", at times I couldn't catch my breath I was laughing so hard! The whole thing with Funk struggling to carry the luggage and blanket when the family is trying to get to the second train station in Paris ... her whole thought process regarding the accident clause in their insurance is priceless! Pretty sure I peed my pants with that one. In fact, the internal conversations and comments about, and directed to, her husband are hilarious - I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that. Those conversations are sometimes the only thing that holds me together and I truly believe they can can save a marriage, a life (his) and my sanity (keep me out of prison which would just lay me open to even more anxiety).

I plan on telling everyone i know and don't know to read this book. I look forward to the rest of the series and to tide me over until they are available I have subscribed to Mrs. Squitiro's website/blog. In the meantime, I will visit my friend Gloria by rereading her fabulous book. If I could give more than 5 stars I would, it is that good!
This was a beautiful and funny memoir. It is about a strong woman who decides not to play society's game. It is beautiful. I recommend this for fans of memoir.

I would like to thank netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy free of charge. This is my honest and unbiased opinion of it.
I'd like to thank the publisher and netgalley for providing me a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.

That was a funny memoir that I really enjoyed!
Raw honest open could not put down.Love a book that can make me laugh and cry.The author shares the adventures dramas ups and down of her anything but quietblife.A wonderful read#netgalkey
May Cause Drowsiness and Blurred Vision is a entertaining and fascinating book. Well written and some great stories.
As a post-modern feminist - a girl trying to make it in a male dominated field - I appreciate Gloria's voice so much, and believe that it's one we all need to hear. Too often, women are instructed to achieve gender parity by "playing the game." Gloria is a living, breathing example of what happens when we stop playing the game, and start living a completely honest life. In this hilarious, colorful memoir, she takes the reader on a family journey across Europe through the lens of an anxious yet strong-willed mind. I caught myself smiling, cringing, and laughing out loud at all the things I would be scared to say, that Gloria states with unabashed honesty and humor. I may have been the lucky recipient of an Advance Reader Copy of this book, but I can't wait to order it for my bookcase. Looking forward to Books 2 and 3 in this series!