City of Scoundrels

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Dec 2019

t was good to see Elizabeth and Gideon again. They are such oil and water but still make a great pair. This time it is the widow Rose who needs help and of course they have to put together a con to right a wrong. Both are taking on traits that belong to the other. Elizabeth a little more honest, Gideon a little less honest. This is a great story with danger, tension, and edge of your seat action. The widow Rose is a great new character and I hope she shows up in future stories. With book three Counterfeit Lady is on track as a must follow mystery series. I love the historical events the author weaves into the story. Be sure to read the afterward to see what events really happened.
Very quickly:  I did not feel that this was the best in this series, but I still enjoyed it.  The setting and the time period are very interesting, and the characters feel genuine.  I feel like the plot of this one got a little off the rails in the middle.  I look forward to seeing where the author takes these characters in future installments.
Berkley Prime crime titles usually come out at the beginning of the month. This month they have 4 to choose from and they are set to release on 11/05/2019.
Goodreads and Amazon links will be posted.

Enjoy!

Air Warden Mystery Book 1

The start of an exciting new World War II historical mystery series featuring charming, quirky Air Raid Warden Poppy Redfern....

Summer 1942. The world has been at war for three long and desperate years. In the remote English village of Little Buffenden, the Redfern family's house and farmland has been requisitioned by the War Office as a new airfield for the American Air Force.

The village's Air Raid Warden, twentysomething Poppy Redfern, spends her nights patrolling the village and her days writing a novel of passion. It is a far cry from the experience of the other young women in town: within days, two of the village's prettiest girls are dating American airmen and Little Buffenden considers the "Friendly Invasion" to be a success.

But less than a week later, Doreen Newcombe, the baker's daughter; and the popular Ivy Wantage are both found dead. Poppy realizes that her community has been divided by murder, and the mistrust and suspicion of their new American neighbors threatens to tear this town, already grappling with the horrors of war, apart. Poppy decides to start her own investigation, but she soon unearths some unfortunate secrets and long-held grudges. She will have no choice but to lay a trap for a killer so perilously close to home, she might very well become the next victim....

Chocoholic Mystery Book 17

In the newest mystery from nationally bestselling author Joanna Carl, a dive into house flipping becomes a deadly flop....

When a house near Lee and Joe's home goes up for sale, the couple teams up with Lee's aunt and uncle, Nettie and Hogan, to buy it, remodel it, and resell it for a sweet profit. But after the owners of the house, the Baileys, accept their offer, a local developer, Richard "Spud" Dirk, suddenly swoops in with a higher one, and it seems their dreams might be snatched away.

Lee, never as passionate about the plan as her husband and uncle, is anxious to get back to focusing on managing TenHuis Chocolade. But when a long-hidden gun is found behind a pipe in the Baileys' basement, she begins to suspect a mystery is afoot. And when Spud turns up dead in the Baileys' carport a few days later, it becomes clear there's something rotten at the foundation....

To solve the murder, Lee will have to strip away layers of secrets--that is, if someone doesn't level her first....

Murder She Wrote Book 50

In the fiftieth entry in this USA Today bestselling series, two timelines converge as Jessica Fletcher returns to high school to investigate the murder of an old colleague, while we meet Jessica as a young teacher solving her very first murder--that of the high school principal.

Young Jessica Fletcher's life couldn't be more ordinary. She teaches at the local high school while she and her loving husband, Frank, are raising their nephew Grady together. But when the beloved principal dies under mysterious circumstances, Jessica knows something is off and, for the very first time, investigates a death.

Present-day Jessica returns to high school for a colleague's retirement party and has fun seeing familiar faces. That is, until the colleague winds up dead--and his death has mysterious links to Jessica's very first murder case.

With nothing but her own instincts to guide her, Jessica embarks on a quest to find out what really happened all those years ago and who's behind these murders. Because time is running out to catch this killer....

Check it Out!

Counterfeit Lady Book 3

Elizabeth Miles finds herself in a position no con can help her escape. Her beloved fiancé, Gideon Bates, is awaiting his turn in the draft to fight in the Great War. Elizabeth is finding it hard to think of anything else, but Gideon has thrown himself into his work, preparing wills for soldiers before they ship out. Corporal Tom Preston is part owner of Preston Shoes, a company that is making footwear for the army, so he has a rather large estate. He needs a new will, however, because he has just been secretly married to a woman whom his family would never approve. He wants to make sure she and their unborn child are provided for if he does not return.

When Tom is later reported killed, Elizabeth and Gideon learn that the new will has gone missing after Tom's bride revealed her identity to his family. Unless the new will is found and validated, the original will, which leaves everything to Tom's brother, will prevail and the wife and child will get nothing. If Tom's new bride survives, that is. Some terrible threats have been leveled against her, and Elizabeth and Gideon must figure out a way, legal or not quite, to secure Tom's fortune for his wife and child while saving her life in the process.

Get a copy!
This series continues to be particularly excellent. Victoria Thompson knows the time period well, and this time the story includes Gideon's imminent draft into World War I, as well as the 1918 influenza pandemic (if you read this, the streetcar scene!!). I have to be honest, I'm not sure I totally understood how the con in this story was going to work (too much back and forth about money passing hands for me to keep track of), but I liked the story and appreciate Elizabeth continuing to combine her family's skills as grifters with her desire to help people (and let greedy businessmen be conned). This was a fast paced historical fiction- though this series is definitely best if read in order!
Victoria Thompson is an author that I've never read before.  But I had the opportunity to read her latest book thanks to Netgalley.  I was interested in the subject matter(s) because they are all popular with the older generation of my library patrons.

I found the story well written, and the characters had depth and heart.  I can see that my patrons
 will relate to her as a woman from the WWI era.  I do plan to purchase this book for our library collection.  But, I feel that the the first two books must be read to really understand the background of the characters.  They are like living people.... they have a past and to understand the present learning their past will be beneficial.
I love this series. Why don't more authors use con men/women/artists (former or reformed or not) as characters? They're the best. I hope Thompson takes this series as far as the Gaslight Mysteries series (although, I actually prefer this series).
Elizabeth and Gideon once again involve the Old Man in righting a wrong. In this case they are helping a war widow get her husbands inheritance from his brother. WWI is going on and the Influenzas of 1918 is killing lots of young people. Any book by Victoria Thompson is a winner.
Goodreads & Facebook
I love this series so much!  Elizabeth is such a relatable character, and I love how she never lets anything get in her way.  While her fiance would rather her quit her con-man family ways, she instead chooses to leverage it in order to get justice for other women.  After a war widow goes to Gideon for legal advice, he directs her to Elizabeth and from there they try to get her the rightful inheritance from her husband.  There is also a healthy amount of intrigue and espionage, as they stumble into an intricate German spy ring.  I love this series and can't wait for more adventures!
I received an electronic ARC free from Netgalley. I really like this series, but this one isn't my favorite. The ending felt a bit rushed and out of place with the rest of the book.

Reviewed on Goodreads
I have really enjoyed this offbeat mystery series with a con woman turned Lady and her fiancé. The historical details regarding the conditions in WWI as well as the flu epidemic are interesting and worth the read. The cons are amusing and sometimes off the wall. Nevertheless, a fun read.
Once again another good read from Ms. Thompson. I enjoy this series almost as much as her Gaslight series and I rarely read more than one series from an author.  Gideon gets roped in again to help con some bad folks who are trying to cheat a war widow. The war and the flu are part of the setting. A great story on whether or not they will succeed in the con.
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for my eARC in exchange for an honest review.  I look forward to reading more in this series.
I really enjoyed the setting and plot of this mystery. Elizabeth and Gideon were interesting and well-written characters. I loved all of the historical details woven throughout, and the author did a particularly good job of portraying how the flu epidemic rampaged the city. The mystery part was well-plotted and solidly executed. I can’t wait for the next one in the series!

I do recommend reading this series in order, so plenty of time to catch up before this one releases on November 5, 2019!

Thank you Berkeley and Netgalley for a free digital copy!
I have learn of things that happened during the World War that I didn't know to my knowledge we didn't have The American Protective League in WW TWO. It seems those of German descent were treated similar to the Japanese during the second war. The flu of 1918 was a world problem as it spread every where and many dropped dead where ever they were.. Gideon has it and Elizabeth and his Mother work together to pull him through it. This is the 3rd installment of the Counterfeit Lady series.
Gideon Bates awaiting his call up is writing wills for the soldiers before they are shipped overseas. He writes a will for Tom, a partial owner of a shoe factory. Tom's brother and stepmother do not approve of his wife. When Tom is reported dead, his brother steals the original will leaving the only will left that leaves every thing to his brother. He removed all the money from Tom's bank, this leaves the widow and unborn child penniless. The World War I is about over, but an another draft is possible, age limit has been raised and Gideon Bates is awaiting is his call up.
Elizabeth's family decides to do a con that will recover the stolen money. The twist and turns the con takes will your amuse and hold your attention. The ending is a surprise. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK AND SERIES.

Disclosure: Thanks to Berkley for a copy through NetGalley. The opinions expressed are my own.
Writing: 3 Plot: 3.5  Character: 4

Another fun historical mystery in Thompson’s Counterfeit Lady series.  This episode is set in New York amid the American Protective League, the dollar-a-year men, and the women’s suffrage movement of the late WWI years.  Elizabeth Miles — our “reformed” grifter engaged to strait-laced lawyer Gideon Bates — applies her “arts” to the case of a war widow whose husband’s greedy family is trying to cut her off without a cent.  Elizabeth’s rakish relations are brought in to run the con, donating a portion of their take to the widow.  A definite cozy, the historical detail and appealing characters make this an enjoyable read.  A nice new series from the author of the Gaslight Mysteries (which I loved but have definitely run their course).