Six Months to Kill

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 13 Aug 2019

Regis has just been told he has six months to live when he is approached by a young woman who wants him to kill someone who is ‘bad’. Regis gets sucked in by the woman’s charisma. In addition, he is lonely and facing a boring, painful end to his life. He agrees to help her, and so begins a trail of murder where Regis ends the lives of several people who he is told are the vermin of society.
Of course, all is not as it seems. When the police become involved, Regis finds himself getting in deeper. Alongside this, there is the miracle cure for his cancer, which his own doctor offers him ‘off the record.’ Might he be cured?
The best thing about the story was the set-up. What would we do if we knew we would die in six months? It makes it intriguing to follow Regis. More character development would have made the story more believable for me. Regis was a bit took quick and easy in his decisions. The other two main characters, the doctor and Regis’ handler, are also a tad shallow.
This was an easy read, entertaining and original.
My thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book. This is my honest review.
Found this a difficult book to really become absorbed in, but am glad I stuck with it. I agree with other reviews regarding issues regarding the translation, but a great read.
The premise is awesome. The genius astrophysicist Regis is told that his cancer is going to kill him in 6 months time. He spends most of his time in front of the TV watching stupid shows and eating junk food. So when a mysterious woman named Chloe approaches him with an unusual proposition it doesn't take long for Regis to agree. The deal is this: work for a secret organization and kill people that nobody is going to miss. And suddenly, Regis turns out to be exceptionally good at it. But who is Chloe really? And is everything really how it seems?
I think the first half of the book was really good. It captured my interest straight away. What made the story so interesting was the main character. Regis is very similar to Sheldon from big bang theory, only he kills people. A genius in some aspects, he is quite a naive person in other aspects. I found it so strange how he simply goes along with this suspicious proposal when I would have asked way more questions, but I think that was part of his personality.
But from about 60% the book starts to drag. There was a bit of formula: Regis kills one person,moves on to another, and then another. And suddenly I was at 90% and there were still no answers. So when the ending and the plot twists were revealed I thought they were anticlimactic and too rushed. Also,there were a couple moments of fat phobia that left a bad taste in my mouth.
A good premise,I just think it could have been executed better.
Thank you to netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
3.5 stars rounded up -- A terminally ill and socially awkward genius has the "adventure of a lifetime" when he embarks on a new career as an assassin and finds that he has an aptitude for the job.

Régis Gaudin is 44 years old, divorced, and lives a reclusive life with his television game shows, crisps and beer. With an incredibly high IQ and teaching at the Institute of Astrophysics in Paris, he's got money and a very comfortable, but solitary, existence. Unfortunately his cancer diagnosis means he has an expiration date of six months. He pragmatically buys a cremation plan and decides to spend his remaining days doing basically exactly the same as always. Then, he meets a woman, Chloe Schneider, and is presented with an interesting proposition. Is this an opportunity for him to do something good before he passes on? Deciding that he has absolutely nothing to lose, he takes her up on what he determines is a noble and moral crusade -- to rid society of some of the selected targets. Soon he finds that he's actually enjoying himself. NO SPOILERS.

This was a fun, fast read with an engaging archetypal anti-hero in Régis Gaudin. Were some of the situations and action a bit improbable? Yes, but it was easy to go with it anyway. I liked the writing style and the surprises kept me fully engaged. The descriptions of Paris made the setting another aspect of the narrative to enjoy. I particularly enjoyed the transformation of Régis as he tries to work his way out of his stolid, anti-social personality and his attempts to justify his actions in all the ways in which most of us try to make ourselves believe that change is possible.

Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer for this e-book ARC to read and review.
# Six Months To Kill # Netgally

I really looking forward to reading this book. I can say it definitely didn't disappoint me in any way at all, it's a addictive read full of different directions it could go. I think stabbed very cleverly done full of twist and a few unexpected surprises on the way
Thank you to NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer publishers for a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I really liked the idea behind this book; A man gets news that he has 6 months to live and with no family to consider, he is approached to become a vigilante assassin and he accepts.  It got me to thinking what I would do if I were given 6 months to live, so on that point, I found it thought provoking.

The beginning and end moved quickly for me which I enjoyed, but the middle seemed to drag along forever.  In the end, I don't feel like I ever got a good understanding of the main character, Regis.  I think a little more character development may have made it feel less choppy.   I guessed the twist and wasn't surprised by the ending at all. This book definitely had its moments, but overall it left me feeling underwhelmed.

Overall,  I'd say it was just okay.
The premise of this sounds far-fetched and like it would just be an ok read, but it is such an enjoyable one!  A man with terminal cancer that is sought out to be a hired killer.  Who would have thought there could be so many twists and turns in that story?  Definitely recommend this one!
Have you ever thought about what you would do if you only had six months to live?  This story explores what the main character, Regis, decides to do with his six months that he has left to live.  The story starts out a bit slow but starts to pickup pace about halfway through.  There are some suspenseful moments and a twist near the end that I thought was somewhat easy to figure out.
Six Months to Kill Enzo Bartoli

Regis, a genius astrophysicist, is given only 6 more months to live by his oncologist.

He is approached by Chloe, a young woman who supposedly works for an underground organization that tracks down people who escape justice. She wants Regis to play the role of vigilante and mete out justice to them.

Regis takes up the role albeit reluctantly as he realizes that he has nothing to lose and after all he is doing good to society. He starts enjoying the scheming and plotting before each kill as it requires meticulous planning and research.

It is as if Regis starts seeking redemption in his newly donned avatar.
But is Chloe who she says she is? Does Regis’s killing spiral off control?

The story is riveting, the plot is compelling and the characters are captivating. This racy thriller is brilliantly thought out, different from the run of the mill suspense. Despite being a translation, the story does not lose its pace and keeps the reader hooked till the end.

My rating 4* / 5

Thank you to NetGalley for the advance copy.
A thriller story line to make you think.  What WOULD you do with only six months to live?  Right some of society's more spectacular wrongs?  I think I'd agree to that proposition too.
The story is a translation from French so does not flow like a book in it's original language.  But, stick with it, the story picks up speed and the action is pretty tricky.  Our hero asks a few questions too many along the way and could find himself with considerable less than six months left.
What would you do if you only had 6  months left to live? For Regis a disturbing offer had him considering using the time to give a little back to humanity since his life had been pretty much a waste (in his opinion) so far. But is the offer quite as it seems? Is Chloe who she says she is?
Chloe enlisted Regis to kill bad people because he only has 6 months to live. Yep.  Regis, however, is a brilliant man- an astrophysicist- so this becomes a more elaborate situation than it might have otherwise been.  Chloe might not be who she claims to be.  Regis certainly becomes someone different than he was.  Set in Paris (and translated from French), it's a grotesque and perversely entertaining read.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
Six months to Kill by Enzo Bartoli
Thank you NetGalley for giving me this copy .
I am sorry I didnt like the storyline at all but continued to read about third of the book .
Give three stars .
This book was brilliant. I read it in one day. The writing was easy to get into, the chapters were short and the characters were well written. The story of having six months to live, does that mean murder can be committed and get away with it? It definitely had twists and turns and the ending I couldn't guess but as I got closer I wanted it to end a certain way and it did which I'm happy about. You need to read this
A delightful and well written novel with lots of slow action and a few twists. Excellent characters, plot and story.
Regis is in his forties and had just been given the news that he has terminal cancer and he has only six months to live. He goes for a walk to clear his mind and meets a woman called Chloe who waves at him as they pass by. Later that night she turns up at his home with a proposition for him. She wants him to kill people.

I really liked this book. Regis is a genius, he specialises in astrophysics. The story had me hooked from the beginning. It's so well written. There are plenty of twists and I loved how the story ends. There are so many ways this story could have played out but I think the author has chosen the best one. I simply devoured this book. I couldn't and didn't want to put it down. A super read that I recommend.

I would like to thank NetGalley, Thomas & Mercer and the author Enzo Bartoli for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoyed this book. I particularly liked the humour throughout the book and also the ending. The writing style was good
The characters were well rounded and the pace was good.
Looking forward to reading more by this author
This was an excellent read. Not something I would usually pick up but It had me hooked from the outset and throughout. Will be keeping an eye out for more in the future.
Thank you NetGalley and Publisher for this ARC.
I have never read anything by this author before and found the book difficult to get into but maybe that is because it has been translated.  However, it was worth persevering with and I thought I had worked it out and was surprised when I realised I hadn't.
I would recommend and definitely don't give up.
Regis is given 6 months to live due to cancer. The day he receives the prognosis, he is approached by a beautiful woman and offered a chance to really live his last months on earth. She explains that the group she works for is trying to rid the world of terrible people, and she would like for Regis to murder said terrible people. I really enjoyed the story. Regis is a likable character, and you really feel for him as he experiences the final months of his life. The twist surprised me, and I loved seeing how Regis reacted when everything came to light. I enjoyed the heck out of this book! Enzo Bartoli offers a well-written mystery with interesting characters and an inventive ending.