Cover Image: I've Seen the End of You

I've Seen the End of You

This is a book about a Christian neurosurgeon and his battle with his faith. I am not at all a religious person, but in spite of that this book was very impactful. I will not forget it for a long time.

Why do bad things happen to good people? That is one of the main themes of this book. With many stories of his patients (made-up names, of course) and the horrible things they and their families have to go through, I finished this book feeling very grateful for my own and my family's health, but also a little bit terrified of glioblastoma. I had to make myself better by researching glioblastoma rates and finding that they are indeed very low (3 in 100,000).

Then the author has his own terrible personal tragedy, one of the many, many times I cried while reading this book.

* Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a free ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
Amazing read, written by someone in the medical field and a must read for medical professionals. Really enjoyed this book!
“I’ve Seen the End of You: A Neurosurgeon’s Look at Faith, Doubt, and the Things We Think We Know,” by W. Lee Warren M.D. is a heart-rending book. Part, memoir, part odyssey, “I’ve Seen the End of You,” follows the lives and deaths of Dr. Warren’s patients. Dr. Warren shares the deep struggle he has faced countless times as a man of science and a man of deep faith. Why do we pray for people who, medically speaking, don’t have a chance? How do we continue to worship God, when our lives are falling apart and we are in the depths of grief?

For me, reading “I’ve Seen the End of You,” was difficult, yet essential. Many times, I set it down to cry and ponder the honesty of Dr. Warren’s questions. The answers to his questions came to him over time; hard-earned wisdom accrued by great personal loss. He doesn’t give platitudes that are of no use to anyone. He gives the raw truth and with it he gives hope. One question that was posed to Dr. Warren stopped me cold. “You think your prayers are only valid if the outcome is what you want?” Wow! That’s a perspective changer!

Although this book is non-fiction, it has been written with the skill of a fiction writer, pulling you through the tapestry on the thread of Dr. Warren’s life and work. It is amazing how the lives of his patients affected him, personally, and how he changed their lives.

I also found the behind the scenes peek into a doctor’s life in, “I’ve Seen the End of You,” fascinating. My husband had stage IV lung cancer for 6 ½ years before he died and we often wondered how doctors do it. How do they shut it all off when they go home at night? Do they think about the patient they have just diagnosed with a terminal illness? I often wonder about the first doctor who looked at me and said, “I can’t tell you exactly what it is, but I can tell you that it’s serious.”

I recommend “I’ve Seen the End of You” to anyone. It will especially appeal to people living with cancer, people in grief, and those who grapple with issues of faith. Right now it’s available for preorder. Grab your copy now! It will be released on January 7, 2020.

I give “I’ve Seen the End of You” 5 big Stars!

Thank you to WaterBrook & Multnomah and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of this “I’ve Seen the End of You” in exchange for an honest review.”
A book by a brain surgeon which I found interesting but also sometimes longwinded. When my ‘editor’ hat interfered with my reading of it, I felt less engaged and started to skim.

Although I would have enjoyed it had it been more condensed, I still appreciated this doctor’s look at faith and questions and doubt amid the amazing work he does as a brain surgeon. Has he really ‘seen the end of’ the patients whom he has to diagnose with a glioblastoma?

Worth reading with my proviso above.
An outstanding and unforgettable book. A book on hope, loss of hope, faith, life and death. It is such an honest and raw memoir of Doctor W. Lee Warren, a neurosurgeon, that will take your breath away . I highly suggest it for people in grief especially if they are in the stage where they question their faith in God. Although the whole book is very powerful, the last chapters are remarkable.

A personal note to the author's wife, Lisa: Thank you for insisting that he should write this book. Your journey as individuals and as couple through the darkness of grief towards the light has given me the courage to face my crisis in my faith as no other book has done until now.
Dr Lee Warren's book "I"ve Seen the End of You" is an honest, thought-provoking, anf at times gut-wrenching read about his journey through doubt and pain and how it impacts his Christian faith. Dr. Warren has a front row seat to the many challenges faced by his patients who are facing terminal illness, but he also has suffered deep loss and grief as well. His words are heartfelt and fresh for those who have read many a book on clinging to fsith in times of doubt and peril (myself included).

I resoundingly give this book 5 stars. It ranks right up there with Philip Yancey's books on this topic. I myself am a huge fan of Yancey's, so I wasnt surprised to gravitate toward Warren"s book, and was thrilled to learn that Yancey helped him understand his journey. I cant imagine a better mentor.

I have 2 side notes about this book that I want to mention: First, Dr. Warren is a neurosurgeon. In the book he goes into some detail, as it applies, on his work. I know nothing about brain surgery. How Dr. Warren can explain it in a way that I understand is beyond me, but he DOES. I never lost focus, never had to skip over the surgery details because I couldnt follow....so kudos to him for finding a way to make those details relatable and understandable.

Second, if you are looking for the secret to an unwavering faith or the perfect answers to your doubts, you wont find them here, or in any other book for that matter. Dr. Warren comes to the conclusion that you, as a Christian, likely already know. But the way he recounts his experiences and journey will undoubtedly stay with you, and they will inform your perspective in a way that is profound and meaningful. Dr. Warrens book has really changed my attitude and perspective on every curve of my own journey thus far.

You will not regret reading this.

Thank you to the author,publisher, and NetGalley for providing an advanced readers copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I had the privilege of reviewing this as an Advanced Review Copy.

I've Seen the End of You is a memoir-esque book by Dr. W. Lee Warren.  Warren is an accomplished neurosurgeon who also spent time in Iraq as a combat surgeon. Through the stories of patients like Samuel and Joey, Warren tells the story of his struggle with faith as he fights to help patients battle one of the deadliest forms of brain cancer.

Since Warren's characters are likely both stories of individuals and composites of a variety of patients, I was truly impressed by his character development. I'm sure that some of the stories are truly just snippets of their actual lives and some is a composite of the lives of a few people from similar instances.  Warren developed stories of a rich set of individuals who helped you see this disease from a variety of different angles.  He does a great job of describing the individuals in his world in a way that makes it possible to picture and visualize them.

The book is not a light read in a few ways - and please know that I characterize books I both love and hate as heavy reads and I'd say I'm much more in the like this book camp.  First, because the individuals do develop a depth and reality to them and you know that they represent the lives of real people there is heartbreak throughout the book. Second, the book does not have a clear throughline. This is probably my strongest critique of the writing.  The book does have a throughline but it is a bit rambling and lacks a tightness to the writing that I prefer.

This book is a good book for people in grief who are sick of hearing the pat answers and responses that many Christians give in grief.  I also truly appreciate how this book characterizes grief as something we, as a society, do not give people time for. I grew a great deal in my own thought process about grief and grieving as a result of reading this book.
Thank you for writing this book. A must read for all healthcare providers! Your personal faith journey and the impact you have on patients is truly remarkable.  I’ve often wondered why my injury happened. What I have found is simply this- God is faithful. He has a plan that is for not only our greater good, but one which will have Kingdom impact. Romans 8:28 is my life verse. But, yes, it is often misquoted.
The book throws little surprises that keep it even more captivating. The real life struggle Dr. Warren shares is life altering and life improving. The medical jargon can be a bit intense but does not detract from the real meaning of what is applicable to the bottom line about life with faith in the world of Science.
It is an engaging read and read it in two days easily due to the application of what Dr. Warren shares and yet spaces of reading are needed to internalize the lessons and how that may be a change of prism you see your world. Excellent read.
Thank you to the publisher for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest opinion.

'The most important surgery I would ever perform would be the stitching together of my faith, my doubt, and the things I thought I knew.'

'I have learned that doubt is not the enemy of faith. The enemy of faith is often the things we think we know.'

I found this memoir (for want of a better category) compelling, fascinating, and moving. Warren first takes us into the world of neurosurgery and brain tumours with clarity and honesty, and then begins to unravel how working with patients of incurable cancers has affected his faith.

The brutal honesty with which he explains his doubts and frustrations in his faith journey was extremely refreshing, although I imagine a good number of those reading this who don't have a religious faith will find this part of the narrative difficult to grasp.

I tore through it, however, and was particularly moved by the story of Rupert Chang. It could easily join the core list of grief reading for Christians but the clinical side of the book is also fascinating to a layperson.

It feels wrong to use a word like 'enjoy' about so serious a topic, but I was really engaged by the subject matter, writing style, and genuine compassion of the writer.
Echoing the beautiful and heart-wrenching sentiment of Paul Kalanithi’s When Breath Becomes Air, I’ve Seen the End of You by W. Lee Warren digs deep into faith, hope, doubt, and life’s most harrowing struggles of loss. Inspiring, eye-opening and a promising testimony to truly live well in the midst of life’s most anguishing moments.
I LOVED this book. I found the author's writing quite compelling and the book and a good pace with a mix of self reflection and stories of patients. While the author went through some truly awful life experiences I found it encouraging how they shaped his faith. I will also say I picked this up as someone who is not religious in the traditional sense and found the references to Christianity weren't off putting at all. For me I was able to find the comparisons towards my own questioning of the universe (if not got) and making sense of things that seem wholy unfair. Would recommend!