Cover Image: Tweet Cute

Tweet Cute

Tweet Cute was a delightful read, quite living up to the hype of it being light and fluffy. It did have pacing issues. But a lovely read for the Holidays. I would recommend it.
This was a cute YA rom-com, but it was not the best I’ve read by far.  I will recommend it to my students who are fans of the genre, but it certainly won’t be my top recommendation.
I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own. Any quotes I use are from an unpublished copy and may not reflect the finished product.

Reading Tweet Cute was like hearing an ice cream truck on a hot summer day. You didn't know you wanted something, and then suddenly it's all you can think about. (Grilled cheese food truck? Anyone?) This book was impossible to put down, and it was refreshing how snarky-sweet and unpredictable the story was. I'm thrilled Lord managed to keep me on my toes, and was pleasantly surprised with how everything played out.

Pepper's parents were mostly nonexistent. Her mom was too busy with work (until it and Pepper became synonymous), and her father lived in another state. His lack of interest in his daughter's life (like not asking about the Twitter war, or how she was feeling about it) was upsetting. She knew he knew something was wrong, but neither of them broached the subject. He was happy to stay in his corner of the world and let events unfold on their own. Divorced parents can still be present in their children's lives, even from a distance. Her mother was incredibly frustrating for the better part of the book, and I hated how she belittled Pepper's efforts. Not once did she consider what a massive time-suck her requests would be for her daughter (a senior in a very competitive private high school), or concern herself with Pepper's feelings about the whole shebang.

Jack's parents were slightly better, but that's only because his mom was awesome. She was attentive, caring, and totally there for her family. Grandma Belly was pretty fantastic, too. Unfortunately, his father made some pretty questionable decisions that had a lasting impact and came with repercussions. I really didn't like that certain revelations and underlying issues were left unaddressed and unresolved. I think knowing the how and why were helpful, but the adults in books need to be held accountable for their actions as well.

I definitely prefer character-driven books, and Tweet Cute has that in spades. I loved the two main characters, but I also enjoyed the interactions with their families (yes, the families I was just complaining about). Nothing was perfect -- not by a long shot -- but it was a realistic portrayal of love, flawed relationships, and imperfect people. We see them overcome the negatives in order to pursue the positives, and watch as they find new footing in the world. Note: I can dislike something and still think it was an accurate representation of how the world works. Additionally, the sibling relationships were very relatable, if somewhat underdeveloped. I would have enjoyed seeing more interactions between Pepper and Paige (her older sister), and Jack and Ethan (his twin brother).

Tweet Cute was probably longer than it needed to be (a little lengthy in the middle), but from start to finish I never wanted to stop turning the pages. I also wish the author hadn't waited until the last minute to spill everyone's beans, because I thought it added unnecessary tension to already complicated situations. However, this is one of those books you just know will eventually become a television show, Netflix series, or movie. Overall, I had very few quibbles (mostly just the stuff about their parents and the length of the book), and look forward to reading whatever this author writes next! Emma Lord has delivered a deliciously sweet rom-com that's full of banter and the best kind of suspense.
My friends weren't the biggest fan of this one, so I went in with lower expectations, and it ended up really surprising me? I definitely see how this isn't for everyone, but I ended up finding it cute, especially as an easy audiobook to listen to while playing Minecraft.

The family relationships were sometimes quite tough to listen to, and there were so many times I just wanted to yell at the parents or siblings. The main characters made up for it, though, and I really liked their dynamic together, too. I think Jack was definitely my favorite, and I liked the perspective on twins that this story tried to give, and how it differed from the standard sibling rivalry due to them being identical. I felt like the twitter war was a good entrance into their dynamic, even if at some point I sort of lost interest in it and was more interested in their real life interactions.

This book tried to tackle a lot in the main characters' personal lives too, and I like how they seemed to have the same focus (extreme parental expectations regarding the future), yet manifested in entirely differently ways. It allowed for bonding between Pepper and Jack without ever feeling too repetitive. I also liked that this book didn't necessarily emphasize going to college as the only path forward, and that both the characters really spent time thinking about what was good for them and their future, not just what was expected of them.

Overall, this was a cute, light read, and it overall was just a lot of fun! I'll definitely be trying some of this author's other books, and hopefully get the same vibe and feelings from it!
I think I was supposed to be part of the blog tour for this one, but I couldn't get into it so I bowed out. As I'm working on clearing out my review queue on Netgalley, I recalled that I also tried to read You Are a Match (??) which was the Reese Witherspoon title by the same author and I couldn't get into that one. I think, sadly, I might just be outgrowing YA books? I read so many (almost exclusively) YA books when I first launched my blog ten years ago ... and now I find myself reading primarily adult fiction. Oh, how the times have changed!

Thank you so much for the opportunity to read and review this title, even thought it ultimately wasn't for me!
I wanted to love this story so much, and at some points I did. But the more I kept reading, the more I wanted just to see how the whole saga would wrap up. Both Jack and Pepper's family dynamics, especially with their siblings, was more of an interesting subplot than the Twitter war between their respective restaurants.

Jack had always felt like the leftover twin next to Ethan, almost always getting the short end of the stick with their parents, working hard at Girl Cheesing deli when Ethan got off scot-free. Jack also had a bit of a double life and created an entire app called Weazel for the kids at school to feel comfortable around each other. I would have liked to have known more background information on how exactly Jack was able to create this successful anonymous app within the comfort of his bedroom. There is some information about how he'd built it, but not much because it's shrouded in his guilt of hiding all of this from his family. Not to mention, on the app, he's been talking to this girl (called Bluebird) for months things not even his best friend Paul knows. The storyline and connection between Jack's Wolf and Pepper's Bluebird was sweet and cute, but easily predictable when I figured out their secret identities. I knew they would figure each other out eventually, they'd feel conflicted about it, and come back together again sooner rather than later.

As for Pepper's family drama, I could relate to hers because it was similar to how my sister and I's relationships with our mother is now. Pepper has always felt somewhat of an obligation to stay home and get the best grades, become her best self, top of her class, and manage Big League Burger's Twitter account. And she's happy to do it if not only for her mother, but there was always this nagging feeling that she's taking on too much on her plate. But it takes her almost until the end of the novel for her to tell her mother. Her sister Paige moved cross-country to get away from BLB and family's drama, but it didn't stop Pepper for stepping up even more.

The amounts of miscommunication in this novel were one of its most draining personality traits. Not only between PepperJack and their families, but to each other. They both had so many opportunities to show themselves and just talk to each other. But when one person got the courage to speak up, they'd get interrupted or lose the courage. I know miscommunication is a plot device in a lot of these YA romances, but it's just annoying to read after awhile.

At least PepperJack's enemies-to-friends-to-lovers trajectory was endearing to witness. Pepper was the new girl from Nashville who had felt like she had something to prove; Jack was the class clown everyone knew and loved. Of course their chemistry would mesh from time to time, especially when they're both on the diving/swim team. But seeing them become irritated with each other, but turned into friendship and romantic interest was really funny and cute, for two high school kids who didn't know each other that well.

The writing in this novel was decent, to say the least. Emma Lord knows how to use her characters to get you to relate to them through her writing. Jack's character arc was written from someone who used his humor to hide his insecurities; Pepper's character arc wasn't something I was rooting for in the beginning, but her walls fell and her character started blossoming through Lord's prose.
Thank you so much for the early copy of Tweet Cute. You can find my review of Tweet Cute with the link attached — it was posted in January of 2020 and I clearly forgot to send in my review through Netgalley.
This was such an adorable, light, and fluffy read! Definitely the perfect book to forget about this strange world we’re living in!
A really "cute" story of two teenager kids who handle their family business instagrams. they happen to go to the same school and end up battling and becoming friends and that friendship really complicates things. This story is full of cuteness! I really liked Pepper and Jack and how their friendship developed.
I've heard great reviews about Tweet Cute, but unfortunately I never got to the book before I lost interest in reading YA titles. I will read it in the future when I am in a YA mood. DNF
I received an advanced digital copy of this book from the author, publisher and NetGalley.com. Thanks to all for the opportunity to read and review. The opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Tweet Cute is just that: cute. An adorable, escapist read that is perfect for the summer.  Completely enjoyable from beginning to end.

5 out 5 stars. Highly recommended.
This book is just so precious.

I don't read a ton of contemporary, but when I saw this cover and read the premise I KNEW I needed to read it, and it did not disappoint.
I love how the tweets and messages were integrated throughout the novel. They were one of my favorite parts of the book because they were so whimsical and full of epic sarcasm. I laughed so many times, and any book that can bring such emotion is a win for me.
I especially loved how their names were Pepper and Jack.... Pepperjack... like the cheese. And they're fighting over a grilled cheese recipe... get it? XD

Aaaanyway. I loved how they were into really unique hobbies and sports that don't always get represented in books, or if they are in books they don't come off as realistic. And I loved their cooking scenes! Those were some of the sweetest scenes and left me trying to imagine the aromas. The whole story was engaging and a warm read and feel good.

If you want to read a fun, romantic comedy that is full of snark, competitive characters, and has lots of food, Tweet Cute is for you.

Thank you Wednesday Books for providing an arc to review.
A YA romcom that’s You’ve Got Mail meets The Parent Trap meets Romeo and Juliet for the new digital age!
📱
Pepper is an all-around perfectionist, type-A personality intent on keeping the peace at home between her mother and herself after her older sister and mom had a falling out. Her inability to stand up for herself leads her to running her mother’s social media Twitter account for Big League Burger, the company her divorced parents own together. But when a local mom and pop restaurant finds out Big League Burger stole one of their recipes, all bets are off and a twitterstorm is born. Little does Pepper know that the guy on the other end of the tweets is the thorn in her side at school, Jack. Furthermore neither knows that the other one is who they’ve been chatting with on a campus app created for classmates to get to know one another. What happens when the two find out who the other really is?
📱
I adore this trope based on two movies that I love because it’s enemies to lovers AND friends to lovers at the same time. I am a huge fan of Emma Lord since reading You Have A Match and can’t wait to read her next book releasing in January. If you’re looking for an adorable young adult novel with strong characters, mishaps, laugh out loud moments with some baking thrown in, then Tweet Cute is it!
so cute in every single way and also made me touched and indignant and worried and gleeful. think there was a perfect balance of jack and pepper (and build-up) and their respective lives and families. all of it was truly just *chef's kiss*
I am sorry for not reviewing fully but I don’t have the time to read this at the moment. I believe that it wouldn't benefit you as a publisher or your book if I only skimmed it and wrote a rushed review. Again, I am sorry for not fully reviewing!
This is a cute romantic comedy YA book with central themes of family, friendship, and forgiveness. Pepper's family is famous for their burger restaurant which has developed into a widely known chain and become very well known around the country, even though she and her Mom are living in New York. In the middle of a Twitter war with a local deli, Pepper is surprised to find out that the son of the deli owner is none other than Jack Campbell, a cute and aggravating boy in her school who likes to tease her for everything. Now Pepper and Jack are spending a lot of time together planning things for the swim and dive teams that they respectively captain. All the while Pepper is talking anonymously to a boy who is known as Wolf on an app for their school, and she finds herself growing close to Wolf and wondering who he is IRL. is he the cute boy, Landon, who Pepper has had a crush on for years? Cute story, a bit slow at times, but fans of rom coms will enjoy it.
Enjoyed reading this romcom brought into the 21st century with a war of tweets. Pepper is a high school over-achiever who also runs her parents' Big League Burger Twitter account. Jack attends the same private high school as Pepper, and runs his parents' deli Twitter account. When Big League Burger and the deli get into a tweeting war, things change when Pepper and Jack find out they are tweeting against each other. Enjoyed the book. Tweet Cute was also the runner up book in our high school's annual Kindle Tournament that started with 16 books (like a March Madness). Will be recommending to students to read for sure. Thanks to Ms. Lord, Wednesday Books, and NetGalley, for the opportunity to read and review this book.
I am pleasantly surprised at how much I ended up loving this young adult romance-comedy. The characters are relatable and easy to bind with. Young adult fans will enjoy this cast of characters and plot. I will no doubt be recommending this story to many.
I've mostly grown out of the YA contemporary romances, but Tweet Cute was a fun ride overall. Pepper and Jack have a rivalry over their families' burger businesses which turns into so much more. This story was fun, and cute, while also being different enough from other YA meet cute stories. I'd love to read other novels by Emma Lord.
I thought this book was super cute. I loved the rivalry between Pepper and Jack just as much as I liked the romance. OMG I'm just realizing their name is PepperJack and the store rivalry was over a grill cheese sandwich. Too cute. I really thought this was a good book and I think it will appeal to young readers.